Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

If a pro golfer is out of work doesn't that just mean they suck at golf and can't land a sponsorship? Lester seems to be devaluing the free market's ability to let only the best raise to the top. I mean maybe if the yacht Builder built better yachts he wouldn't be in this predicament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Xander77 posted:

I believe Rool approaching Trump's team for an interview / collaboration on his book:

Was accompanied by a series of ever more pathetic twits begging for someone, anyone, to talk to him. Anyone got the links etc?

*cracks knuckles*

https://twitter.com/TedRall/status/718046185978785792
https://twitter.com/TedRall/status/718387671991742465
https://twitter.com/TedRall/status/719973715220504578
https://twitter.com/TedRall/status/721439735680528384
https://twitter.com/TedRall/status/722200667713060864
https://twitter.com/TedRall/status/722200918914154496
https://twitter.com/TedRall/status/722201359550976003
https://twitter.com/TedRall/status/727160223107010561
https://twitter.com/TedRall/status/730007238929190913

. . .

https://twitter.com/TedRall/status/739443565785415680

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

When the most attention-addicted man in the world won't even give you the time of day.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Each of the 10 tweets has 2 retweets or less, except one with 3. The level of delusion here is immeasurable.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Burn the au pair program to the loving ground and salt the earth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_pair#Norway

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

TheBigAristotle posted:

Each of the 10 tweets has 2 retweets or less, except one with 3. The level of delusion here is immeasurable.

It reminds me of when I was a kid, and I'd write scathing "open letters" to public figures on my livejournal, and expect people to care.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

It reminds me of when I was a kid, and I'd write scathing "open letters" to public figures on my livejournal, and expect people to care.

Ted Rall personally, manually tweets his blog updates, in addition to the automatic tweets his website sends out for every new post. If Twitter had been around when I was an attention-starved teen with a blogspot, that is exactly what I'd have done, and it's embarrassing to even consider.

Also here's the cover of his latest opus, out this summer:

Great work man! I think the thirty years of professional artistic experience are really starting to show!!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

When the most attention-addicted man in the world won't even give you the time of day.
At the time he had won the primary and was getting his fill. Rall just couldn't understand that he's a relative nobody to people giving Trump interviews at the time.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

War Wizard posted:

If a pro golfer is out of work doesn't that just mean they suck at golf and can't land a sponsorship? Lester seems to be devaluing the free market's ability to let only the best raise to the top. I mean maybe if the yacht Builder built better yachts he wouldn't be in this predicament.

From context I think that's a guy whose job it is to teach rich men how to golf better

unfortunately after Barack Obama raised the tax rate on billionaires to 100% no one will hire them, oh wait no that didn't happen whoops

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is Bernie in the news or something?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Great work man! I think the thirty years of professional artistic experience are really starting to show!!

Haven't given this thought before, It must take a legendary amount of not giving a gently caress to not improve a single bit in thirty years.
Did he take lessons from Kirchen?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Jay Rust posted:

He and Perez are doing a national tour to rally the Democratic base, so he's doing a lot of public speaking.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Ted Rall personally, manually tweets his blog updates, in addition to the automatic tweets his website sends out for every new post. If Twitter had been around when I was an attention-starved teen with a blogspot, that is exactly what I'd have done, and it's embarrassing to even consider.

I kinda want to read it, just to see if it reads like I imagine it to.

"You know, if Pope Francis ever met me, I'm sure he'd say 'Ted Rall, you are doing God's work with your amazing cartoons', and I'd be all like 'God's fake, old man, deal with it' and he'd be all 'No way, Ted Rall you blew my mind and didn't even need to write one of your award-winning comics to do it! You're totally better than Art Spiegelman'."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

*cracks knuckles*

Thanks!

Just as sad as I remember it.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Haven't given this thought before, It must take a legendary amount of not giving a gently caress to not improve a single bit in thirty years.
Like the vast majority of geriatric cartoonists in this thread, he actually got worse as he aged. I wouldn't call his 90's art "good" or even "competent" or even "not an utter rip-off of Matt Groeining's style", but at least it had some notion of perspective and anatomy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Jay Rust posted:

They need a boogeyman or Republicans will realize Trump is the boogeyman.

We're going to see a lot of Obama, Hillary, and Bernie in cartoons for the next year.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Cat Mattress posted:

The era where rich people lived in manors and employed dozens of servants is over, nobody lives like that anymore even if they're even richer relatively than the brooding nobles from an Austen or Brontë novel.

Also lol at poor yacht builders. Just for fun, a result from searching for "yearly yacht sales statistics": http://www.boatinternational.com/yacht-market-intelligence/superyacht-industry-data/superyacht-sales-data
Yacht sales don't seem to be doing poorly.

That's just it: Lester fears that taxing rich people would cause the ever so important yacht industry to crater. At least in his mind.

Also, what industry do pro golfers support besides themselves? I mean, yeah this is a bad cartoon and I honestly can't believe Lester believes with the core tenants of it.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

"I can only hear on the left side," Bob says, while staring blankly into the distance and speaking to no one in particular. The man behind the counter makes a smug joke. In Bob's brain, the damage caused by his seconds-old stroke worsen.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zesty posted:

They need a boogeyman or Republicans will realize Trump is the boogeyman.

We're going to see a lot of Obama, Hillary, and Bernie in cartoons for the next year.

Also Liz Warren. She and Bernie are two of the highest-profile still-active Democrats, and both of them have at least some probability of being 2020 candidates (Bernie is of course super old so maybe a bit less in his case), so they're probably gonna get brought up for some fairly spurious reasons for a while.

Other "rising stars" such as Harris, Ellison, Duckworth, or, oh say for example, Pete Buttigieg are considerably less famous, so whipping up conservative fervor against them wouldn't be as effective.

seiferguy posted:

That's just it: Lester fears that taxing rich people would cause the ever so important yacht industry to crater. At least in his mind.

Also, what industry do pro golfers support besides themselves? I mean, yeah this is a bad cartoon and I honestly can't believe Lester believes with the core tenants of it.

They are a cornerstone of the critical "pampering the rich" industry, which according to Reaganites is the most important one we have

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Xander77 posted:

Like the vast majority of geriatric cartoonists in this thread, he actually got worse as he aged. I wouldn't call his 90's art "good" or even "competent" or even "not an utter rip-off of Matt Groeining's style", but at least it had some notion of perspective and anatomy.

The trick is that he only appeared to have a notion of perspective and anatomy because he stuck to the same static talking-head poses. This made his art a LOT more consistent, and consistency is how people start to believe it's a stylistic choice and not a lack of skill. Rall never knew what the gently caress he was doing, but he used to at least know his limitations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lester just refuses to/doesn't understand just how gross the wealth has become. A lot of luxury items have the price jacked up because it really isn't about owning the item, but showing off to others what you can afford to buy. Wealth signaling? Like, you could cut the rich's wealth by half and there'd still be a loving yacht industry. The prices of some items would likely just go down because people can't afford to compare dick sizes to such a degree, but that's it.

Oh, and since we'd be taxing that wealth, it means those poor yacht makers and golf tutors would have basic income and healthcare, so they wouldn't have to rely on a thinly-veiled serfdom serving the megarich to survive.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's the moral duty of the poor to support their natural betters.

Basically that Lester comic is amazing since, intentional or not, it kind of let the mask slip about what the ultimate endgame goal of conservatism is: bringing back Feudalism. Or at the very least a proper gilded age 2.0.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

The trick is that he only appeared to have a notion of perspective and anatomy because he stuck to the same static talking-head poses.
Ah... we have very different notions of what "static talking-head poses" are, apparently.

Also, you don't even need that much money to go yachting or even own a yacht. My cousin is a medical researcher, and he's really into the yachting thing.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Xander77 posted:

Ah... we have very different notions of what "static talking-head poses" are, apparently.

When I think of 90's Rall, I think of 3/4-ish perspective, chest-up characters B^Uing at each other from the bottom corners of the panel with various degrees of arm-flailing, but I am wrong fairly often in life

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I've seen Rall's books on Bernie and Trump in the bookstore. $15 each, so no chance, but I flipped through them. I was spared from looking at his lovely art because he used a bunch of photos that he didn't take.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

When I think of 90's Rall, I think of 3/4-ish perspective, chest-up characters B^Uing at each other from the bottom corners of the panel with various degrees of arm-flailing, but I am wrong fairly often in life
My only exposure to 90's Rall is My War With Brian:
http://imgur.com/gallery/0U7J6

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Everyone and their mother has already commented on this one but holy poo poo.

EDIT: Flipped avatar.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 22, 2017

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Celebrate our fine artists!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

The trick is that he only appeared to have a notion of perspective and anatomy because he stuck to the same static talking-head poses. This made his art a LOT more consistent, and consistency is how people start to believe it's a stylistic choice and not a lack of skill. Rall never knew what the gently caress he was doing, but he used to at least know his limitations.

Yeah, Rall's stuff used to look at least stylistic back when he kept it really simple. As he tried to add more and more detail it became more and more obvious that he doesn't know how to draw.

Like it was always lazy but at least it was cleanly lazy? If that makes sense.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Though I guess it would be more like DD^Uing in his case

Xander77 posted:

There are actual backgrounds but the characters are all very stiff (love those tilted torsos) and drawn from the same angle every time. They look like paper dolls

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Beautiful.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

The guy on the far left :golfclap:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Rereading that, and where's the part where the kid gets buried alive? Was that a different "I tortured a child and I'm the good guy" anecdote?

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

seiferguy posted:

Some of them give golf lessons to rich idiots who want to play better.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Hey, guys! I think I found Kelly's house!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I kinda want to read it, just to see if it reads like I imagine it to.

"You know, if Pope Francis ever met me, I'm sure he'd say 'Ted Rall, you are doing God's work with your amazing cartoons', and I'd be all like 'God's fake, old man, deal with it' and he'd be all 'No way, Ted Rall you blew my mind and didn't even need to write one of your award-winning comics to do it! You're totally better than Art Spiegelman'."
He disagreed when I said the Bible was boring, that it was unreadable now. But he couldn't articulate why I was wrong. He kept pointing out its historical importance, which I didn't dispute.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Unkempt posted:

Hey, guys! I think I found Kelly's house!

Is... is it... free?
This is one of a handful of legitimately funny, clever politoons I've ever laughed at.

I AM THE TOILET fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 23, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Is eating mud a colloquialism I don't get, or something? :confused:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Mantis42 posted:

He disagreed when I said the Bible was boring, that it was unreadable now. But he couldn't articulate why I was wrong. He kept pointing out its historical importance, which I didn't dispute.

Did Rall say that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mantis42 posted:

Is eating mud a colloquialism I don't get, or something? :confused:

This is a worse thread meme than pants donkey

• Locked thread