Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

swickles posted:

I thought after Josh Gordon they upped to threshold to the same limit used by WADA and the military.

They may have. In fact, that does sound correct. But I more meant that a diluted sample in the military isn't a positive test, it's a retest, if the sample actually even gets tested to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Wasn't he in the hospital with something? I would think that a large influx of fluids (like from a hospital stay or being sick) would cause a diluted sample.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I think Miami is trying to fix the draft with diluting Foster's drug test. In the same way they released the Tunsil video last year.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
With Josh Gordon, he gave his sample, which was then divided into Sample A and Sample B. One is used for testing, and the second for confirmatory testing. What is interesting is that had the samples been switched, he never would have been in trouble. Sample A tested at 6ng/mL and on confirmation testing it was 3 ng/ml. The threshold the NFL was using at the time was 5ng/ml while the military and I believe WADA use 50ng/ml, ten times the limit. A cutoff of 20 ng/ml is considered really strict, so how the NFL arrived at the number 5 is beyond me, but I am guessing that to detect with that level of specificity requires more expensive machines that some NFL team owner or business partner sells to the labs that run these tests, or they own the labs. Point is, the reason for such a low threshold is political/economic than actually caring about a low threshold.

Also, attending almost any concert and taking a drug test the next day with a cutoff of 5ng/ml will almost always test positive.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

89 posted:

I think Miami is trying to fix the draft with diluting Foster's drug test. In the same way they released the Tunsil video last year.

I am A OK with that.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

swickles posted:

With Josh Gordon, he gave his sample, which was then divided into Sample A and Sample B. One is used for testing, and the second for confirmatory testing. What is interesting is that had the samples been switched, he never would have been in trouble. Sample A tested at 6ng/mL and on confirmation testing it was 3 ng/ml. The threshold the NFL was using at the time was 5ng/ml while the military and I believe WADA use 50ng/ml, ten times the limit. A cutoff of 20 ng/ml is considered really strict, so how the NFL arrived at the number 5 is beyond me, but I am guessing that to detect with that level of specificity requires more expensive machines that some NFL team owner or business partner sells to the labs that run these tests, or they own the labs. Point is, the reason for such a low threshold is political/economic than actually caring about a low threshold.

Also, attending almost any concert and taking a drug test the next day with a cutoff of 5ng/ml will almost always test positive.

Which combined with his suspension for codeine in his cough syrup really pisses me off. Josh Gordon got hosed by circumstances.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Come on guysss, we can make it into the 4th round!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Bump the time to 8-12 hours or default pick and you might get through four by Thursday.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I'm looking forward to the 4th round because I actually get two picks.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Silly Burrito posted:

Bump the time to 8-12 hours or default pick and you might get through four by Thursday.

I hesitate to bump it up too much, since a 12 hour limit can result in somebody missing their pick just because they're at work or something. And it's not really as fun to make it through the fourth if it's me making half the picks. I plan to let the chips fall where they may, and hope that we make it to my 4th-rounder.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ShakeZula posted:

I hesitate to bump it up too much, since a 12 hour limit can result in somebody missing their pick just because they're at work or something. And it's not really as fun to make it through the fourth if it's me making half the picks. I plan to let the chips fall where they may, and hope that we make it to my 4th-rounder.

Alternate idea: 1 hour time limit starting now. People can post ahead of you if you miss your hour slot. Hell, you might get through round 7 by Thursday for the first ever complete goon draft. ;)

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Sad King Billy posted:

I'm looking forward to the 4th round because I actually get two picks.
same

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I feel like I should have went Witherspoon instead of Desmond King..

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm on vacation so if somebody wants to take the next couple Chargers picks feel free

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm on vacation so if somebody wants to take the next couple Chargers picks feel free

I will pick them up if that is ok?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

I will pick them up if that is ok?

Go for it, should just be the one pick we get to anyway

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I'm crushing this goon draft FYI

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

I think my selections have been better than whoever the Texans end up drafting

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Everyone thinks this.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Yes, but I know it.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Yes, but I know it.

Check back in 4 years time.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Andey needs more weapons.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I'm pretty happy with 2 receivers over six feet tall and a massive 3-4 end for the Rams.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I'm definitely biased but I think Shaq is going to own in the NFL.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Yay Cameron Sutton

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

First post summary skips 4.11 when numbering the picks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

89 posted:

Yay Cameron Sutton

I debated grabbing him but figured I would go with the guy who was better for a zone scheme.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This is probably the best goon draft I've ever seen.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
A lot of depth will do that

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the pseudobeng consortium of one continues its dominant crusade across the land Of kissing mike brown on the mouth ironically. unbelievable action

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If the Jets end up with my picks in this draft, I will be THRILLED.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

drat, this thing really moved along while I was at work. Way to go everybody!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

drat, this thing really moved along while I was at work. Way to go everybody!

Thanks for putting this together. Real pain in the rear end to keep going, I'm sure, and it's always fun.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

fsif posted:

Thanks for putting this together. Real pain in the rear end to keep going, I'm sure, and it's always fun.

Happy to do it! The real draft is my favorite football thing, and if I wasn't running this thing I'd just be anxiously waiting for it to start every year and picking for the Colts (which I was doing before I just kind of took it over a few years ago).

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

ShakeZula posted:

Happy to do it! The real draft is my favorite football thing, and if I wasn't running this thing I'd just be anxiously waiting for it to start every year and picking for the Colts (which I was doing before I just kind of took it over a few years ago).

I LOVE the draft like the ubernerd that I am, so thanks for keeping this up

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Puppy Bowl, I picked Magnuson in the 3rd round already - may want to change that.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Yeah thanks a bunch ShakeZula! Sorry I took so long with my picks, they kept happening on the weekend :/

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Abugadu posted:

Puppy Bowl, I picked Magnuson in the 3rd round already - may want to change that.

I don't know what you're talking about. Good catch, thanks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I debated between Carlos Henderson and Taywan Taylor, but decided I liked Henderson's special teams ability more. I also considered Elijah Qualls, but I'm a strict believer in BPA so gently caress it let's give Kirk another weapon before he heads off to San Francisco next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Come on Titans, I've had my pick locked and loaded for like 4 hours already.

• Locked thread