Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

It credits Chibnall with the arc stuff at the start and finish of the Silurian two-parter, but I thought that those were the only 2 bits that were actually added by Moffat to the episode rather than written by Chibnall (and are, not coincidently, the only two bits you need to watch you can happily skip the rest of it). Of the nu-who episodes he has written, I think "Dinosaurs on a spaceship" is probably the only one I dont outright hate. Its not a great episode, but its mediocre and largely forgettable as opposed to his usual level of boring and terrible. The Silurian two parter isnt "unfairly assessed as the least of a good bunch" so much as bad episodes of television made to look worse by being in the middle of arguably the best season of Doctor Who ever (or at least in the modern era). They would have been bad episodes in any season but they wouldnt have looked as awful if they had been bookended by say The Satan Pit and Love and Monsters instead of Amys Choice and Vincent and the Doctor. On a basic level I just dont like his writing at all.

I'm holding out hope that he decides that Showrunner should be a different job from Chief Writer and so we dont get him writing a lot of episodes, because while I'm sure he has many talents, writing good episodes of doctor who doesnt seem to be one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Hell his hair changed over the course of an episode, just look at Flatline. It goes from wild outside to close cropped in the siege TARDIS scenes.

He's such a silly man and I will miss him sorely

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SiKboy posted:

It credits Chibnall with the arc stuff at the start and finish of the Silurian two-parter, but I thought that those were the only 2 bits that were actually added by Moffat to the episode rather than written by Chibnall (and are, not coincidently, the only two bits you need to watch you can happily skip the rest of it). Of the nu-who episodes he has written, I think "Dinosaurs on a spaceship" is probably the only one I dont outright hate. Its not a great episode, but its mediocre and largely forgettable as opposed to his usual level of boring and terrible. The Silurian two parter isnt "unfairly assessed as the least of a good bunch" so much as bad episodes of television made to look worse by being in the middle of arguably the best season of Doctor Who ever (or at least in the modern era). They would have been bad episodes in any season but they wouldnt have looked as awful if they had been bookended by say The Satan Pit and Love and Monsters instead of Amys Choice and Vincent and the Doctor. On a basic level I just dont like his writing at all.

I'm holding out hope that he decides that Showrunner should be a different job from Chief Writer and so we dont get him writing a lot of episodes, because while I'm sure he has many talents, writing good episodes of doctor who doesnt seem to be one of them.

His season one episode of Life on Mars is genuinely terrible. I'm prepared to keep an open mind but that one piece of writing soured me on him.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Fil5000 posted:

His season one episode of Life on Mars is genuinely terrible. I'm prepared to keep an open mind but that one piece of writing soured me on him.

Which episode was that? I looked it up but imdbs very brief synopsis isn't ringing any bells at all.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

SiKboy posted:

Which episode was that? I looked it up but imdbs very brief synopsis isn't ringing any bells at all.

The one where the suspect dies in custody because Ray force feeds him some drugs. It has everyone acting massively out of character just so Chibnall can do something GRIMDARK.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Has anyone mentioned Chibnall wrote this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberwoman

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Spacebump posted:

Has anyone mentioned Chibnall wrote this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberwoman

It's the first thing I think of when I see his name.

FINALLY representation in the Cybermen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"You don't steer the TARDIS, you negotiate with it."

The Doctor's such a terrible negotiator :xd:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

In the future resting bitch face will be a terminal condition.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I like the robots. Especially when they do frowny face.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"How does killing thousands of people make me happy?"
"How does killing thousands of people make me happy... smiley face!"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Doctor Who series 10 (season 36): This is a great day out.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

"You don't steer the TARDIS, you negotiate with it."

The Doctor's such a terrible negotiator :xd:
I mean, that's his wife he's talking to, of course he's gonna lose

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that was good too, the ending didn't quite live up to the set-up but I liked it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Who was it that predicted a "second episode of Series 10 Big Finish sale"?

You were right.

Edit: Huzzah! I own them all!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This is a sci-fi episode of Dwarf Fortress.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I liked that one. Seems to be a theme of robot interprets job weirdly, gets its murder on so far this series.

I'm guessing five minutes after they leave, beardy tries to take over and everyone is killed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spacebump posted:

Between the first two seasons of Torchwood and the second season of Broadchurch, I have no hope for Chibnall whatsoever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

How was the third season of Broadchurch? I didn't bother watching it after the second was so bad, but I heard the third was pretty well received?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I guess Happiness Patrols are a recurring problem in the future!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

jivjov posted:

Who was it that predicted a "second episode of Series 10 Big Finish sale"?

You were right.

Edit: Huzzah! I own them all!

Robophobia is included there, probably my favourite of the main range audios.

Enjoyed Smile, but yeah, ending was lacking slightly but I liked it. "Welcome to your new world, the situation isn't great, deal with it."

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I thought that was better than last weeks episode, and I enjoyed last weeks fine. Was a little distracted at the end trying to work out if the guy with the beard was Ralph Little (it was, for the record) but overall I enjoyed that Who. The emojibots were a little too charming if anything, their frowny faces were adorable and they have comedy pot bellies.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That was fun. God, I've missed Capaldi.

It had everything to do with pods, it had everything to do with people, and it had NOTHING to do with DEEP HURTING.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is it me or was the text above the map of the spaceship in the Star Trek font?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Dabir posted:

Can't wait for the big idiot behind Forest to gently caress it all up next week.

Burkion posted:

Wait they let the Forest of the Night guy write another episode?

Why would you

Why would you ever

Nice overreaction you guys, and other idiots.

BSam fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 22, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Be fair Forest is uniquely, thoroughly awful and gave the distinct impression that the guy behind it had never written anything in his life and wasn't planning to start now. My statement was reasonable based on the evidence available.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Day of the doctor and Time of the doctor seem to be on uk netflix but are showing under season 8 for some reason

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Dabir posted:

Be fair Forest is uniquely, thoroughly awful and gave the distinct impression that the guy behind it had never written anything in his life and wasn't planning to start now. My statement was reasonable based on the evidence available.

Fair enough then.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Well that was good too, the ending didn't quite live up to the set-up but I liked it.

As soon as the emojibot started stressing out over its dead mate and flashing the lightbulb I figured they were recognising what grief is and we were going to get a very sombre ending about reconcilliation, understanding a new species and learning to live with your mistakes. I was all ready to start calling this the best episode of Nu Who.

Then the doctor, on discovering a new form of life, immediately erases the memories of an entire species.

What the gently caress?

That is literally the behaviour of a psychopath. Thats the sort of plot the Master would cook up to install himself as high overlord of earth without anybody complaining. That was an evil thing to do.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fun episode - I enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to next week.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is it me or was the text above the map of the spaceship in the Star Trek font?

Kinda - Swiss Ultra Condensed which (or variant ofs) appears a lot in sci-fi before Eurostile did - when narrow was more chic than wide. The map drawing is strongly influenced by Sternbach's drawings, though, which is fine, because he's awesome.

After I left the show they asked me to redraw some of the map for a pickup shot as "Pod Cluster" was reading as "Poo cluster", which wasn't the worst mistake I made that episode, but I'll save that till the end of the series.

Initially pitched - and pushed really hard for - black emoji faces as per my concept below, as I thought yellow would be too on the nose.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a sneaking suspicion about what the "promise" Nardole was saying the Doctor made was as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

As soon as the emojibot started stressing out over its dead mate and flashing the lightbulb I figured they were recognising what grief is and we were going to get a very sombre ending about reconcilliation, understanding a new species and learning to live with your mistakes. I was all ready to start calling this the best episode of Nu Who.

This is the direction I thought they were going as well and I was really excited about it. The mindwipe was really lovely but I did like that the Doctor didn't do it to reset the robots to defaults, but to essentially wipe the slate clean and allow the robots to begin their existence again as the indigenous lifeform of the planet rather than custom built servants, and force the colonists to actually negotiate with them as equals.

What I find interesting about the mindwipe is that in the previous episode Bill calls out the Doctor on trying to do it to her and he recognizes that it is a lovely thing and chooses not to do it, so in that regard this did feel like a bit of a regression.

echoplex posted:

Initially pitched - and pushed really hard for - black emoji faces as per my concept below, as I thought yellow would be too on the nose.

I do think having them be black would immediately give them a negative context for the viewer, the cheerful yellow is familiar to the audience and makes the moment they turn into killers hit stronger I think.

RIP Poo Cluster I

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

... Hey wait, in the episode they made a big deal about the empty area around the engine.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Then the doctor, on discovering a new form of life, immediately erases the memories of an entire species.

What the gently caress?

That is literally the behaviour of a psychopath. Thats the sort of plot the Master would cook up to install himself as high overlord of earth without anybody complaining. That was an evil thing to do.

The ending of this bugged me enough to actually find the thread to comment on it. I feel like after they found the pods the episode just lost the plot completely. It's not just that the doctor mind-wiped them, it's that mind-wiping them somehow makes them the indigenous species and makes the humans the bad guys, somehow, even though half an hour ago the doctor was ready to nuke the place for the same reasons beardy guy is complaining about.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I liked that episode, but then the ending was kinda weird? Like they didn't know how to end it. Which is kinda bad.

And I predict that emoji will survive for centuries to come, because humanity is really that awful.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

spectralent posted:

The ending of this bugged me enough to actually find the thread to comment on it. I feel like after they found the pods the episode just lost the plot completely. It's not just that the doctor mind-wiped them, it's that mind-wiping them somehow makes them the indigenous species and makes the humans the bad guys, somehow, even though half an hour ago the doctor was ready to nuke the place for the same reasons beardy guy is complaining about.

William Blake had some distinctive views of colonies, slaves, and native Americans. Translating those into a sci if metaphor is not going to make sense on their own terms. Someone will probably provide a full explanation for what the episode meant soon.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
A lot of the architecture and sets really looked like the Milwaukee Art Museum, but I'm guessing they didn't fly all the way out to Wisconsin just to shoot an episode.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What the gently caress?

He erased the glitches in the system that caused the robots to murder humans - wiping their memory, in this case, was the good thing to do

It's like defragging your hard drive or verifying your game files so everything works without crashing in flames

The robots are still sentient - their own separate form of life

I give it a month before the humans try usurping control and get mulched

Good thing there's hundreds of other human ships out there, seeding the stars with their...idiocy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Smile gifs - click to view

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 23, 2017

• Locked thread