Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
As a guard player who hasn't had access to any formations other than like, 1 artillery group -

This is great!

Although I feel for the poor bastards who just bought into Yneari or whatever. That book's like a month old or something.

edit: Reading the cries of the brokens on Facebook:

Yeast fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Thats the poo poo thing books a month old not worth crap. I guess the army is valid but those specific books are not an you can't justify them otherwise.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Yeast posted:

As a guard player who hasn't had access to any formations other than like, 1 artillery group -

This is great!

Although I feel for the poor bastards who just bought into Yneari or whatever. That book's like a month old or something.

I don't think the faction itself is going anywhere, it sucks that the book was invalidated but I'm taking one for the team to burn these rules to the ground.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't think the faction itself is going anywhere, it sucks that the book was invalidated but I'm taking one for the team to burn these rules to the ground.

Agreed, I'm not crying too much over SoulBurst Central having a chance to be rebalanced.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

For_Great_Justice posted:

Yeah I'm a little not happy. I was going to get into a EC Kakophoni but no reason to now. An gently caress if they remove Slaanesh I wouldn't ve surprised even with it being key to the entire EC an Fulgrim and all Eldar.

What indication is there that Slaanesh is being removed? I play 30k EC and I'm hoping for some 40k models since they're doing more chaos marines.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

JBP posted:

What indication is there that Slaanesh is being removed? I play 30k EC and I'm hoping for some 40k models since they're doing more chaos marines.

Fearmongering about GW making the game more kid friendly and streamlining the setting probably. I haven't heard of any actual evidence that s/he's going anywhere.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They already took out the super rapey bits and beastmen still exist so that seems a bit far fetched.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Slaanesh is gone from AoS so don't tell me its not a possibility.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Fearmongering about things that have already happened in AoS.

NightWonder
Nov 15, 2015

"I Use Psychic To Put Stuff In The Toilet."
I for one welcome our new 8th edition overlords. As long as Necrons get more trolltastic rules and tricks I'll be happy. Also bring back cryptek powers, those where fun.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oh ok, ah well. That will suck if it happens.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

RagnarokAngel posted:

They're showing it on the new site as a distinct Eldar faction, which surprised me.

At this point not blowing up the setting is the minimum that should be required and any praise for them not blowing it to poo poo is loving dumb.

The pattern from AoS was released big name characters, release 50+ dollar books, end edition everything you bought is usable in some sense but its rules on release not worth anything. Same pattern same GW.

I'd like to not worry about the night lord raptor talon formation I built up be able to deep strike an idiot charge but probably it'll be invalid most likely. An according to all sources it was a fantastic time to buy in, no worries chummer.

Yeah I'm a little not happy. I was going to get into a EC Kakophoni but no reason to now. An gently caress if they remove Slaanesh I wouldn't ve surprised even with it being key to the entire EC an Fulgrim and all Eldar.

I'm hoping we get legion rules for Chaos back pretty quick.

It's not praise for not blowing up the setting so much as tentative excitement that they're doing a fresh start on the rules. As much as I liked the traitor legion formation detachments, I'm not going to miss having to bring 3 different books to run my Night Lords (though I will miss the Raptor Talon formation). The units will still be usable though, and Raptors have been a good unit for several editions now. The responses I recall in this thread around starting all encouraged starting with Kill Team and not buying a rulebook because 8th edition was coming out, but even now I wouldn't tell someone not to start, just to not spend any money on rules. I don't think we're going to lose Emperor's Children* (in fact I'm pretty confident we'll see a Fulgrim model eventually), but I definitely wouldn't build a Kakophoni right now.

And I'm all for bringing back the movement stat--it's a desperately-needed axis to balance units on. The alternative is 8th edition just doing a minor rules update and keeping all the current books, which just puts a band-aid on a bad ruleset.**

*NB: Slaanesh and Emperor's Children are two different things. Even with Slaanesh gone in AoS, there's still a supported Slaanesh Daemon faction.
**Note: I am not confident that 8th edition will actually be good, but I'm reserving judgment until we know more about the new rules.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I don't think Slaanesh is going anywhere because we only just summoned a fracture of Ynnead, who's been hyped up as the one who will kill him/her/it. In GW's timeline Ynnead might appear in 2035 to maybe get around to it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
sure, whatever

I just don't think Emperor's Children are going anywhere and that we'll see Fulgrim sooner or later

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
How the hell is anyone surprised that their 7th edition books won't work in 8th edition? Especially if it is going to be substantially different then the 6.5 that is going out?

Is this similar to what happened with AoS? Sure.
Is this similar to every other game that has gone through a significant rules change? Very strongly sure.

That being said I have nothing invested in this game and especially don't have any ridiculous formations that probably won't exist anymore.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Slaanesh probably get a Demon Fulgrim and friends release late this year, similar to Tsuns and Death Guard, no?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BaconCopter posted:

How the hell is anyone surprised that their 7th edition books won't work in 8th edition? Especially if it is going to be substantially different then the 6.5 that is going out?

Is this similar to what happened with AoS? Sure.
Is this similar to every other game that has gone through a significant rules change? Very strongly sure.

That being said I have nothing invested in this game and especially don't have any ridiculous formations that probably won't exist anymore.

Some people really, really want 40k players to be as upset about this as fantasy players were about AoS
40k players just really, really want a better game, so seem to be not as upset enough for that first group
TTerrible has been reading the thread while stroking his dick, but I suspect he's only working with half a chub

Yeast posted:

Slaanesh probably get a Demon Fulgrim and friends release late this year, similar to Tsuns and Death Guard, no?

Probably next year

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Yeast posted:

I'd bet money on it; there's even little passages about a gigantic snake-bodied creature daemon tearing poo poo up on some warzone in one of the Gathering Storm books.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TheChirurgeon posted:

Probably next year

Makes sense. I guess Khorne gets the same treatment at some stage.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Yeast posted:

Makes sense. I guess Khorne gets the same treatment at some stage.

If GW follows the AoS model for the new 40k, we'll get 4 Khorne releases a year :v:

but more seriously I think it's a matter of "when" and not "if" on Fulgrim/Angron being released for 40k

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
It's pretty telling when this is the Chaos list from the 'Choose a side' page.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I'd love it if fulgrim gets a model an more EC stuff came but if the game sucks why bother. I like the idea if a move stat makes sense.

However dumping stuff like the raptor talon sets a bad taste in my mouth unless you can deep strike an charge just have it have a penalty. It could happen but I don't have my hopes up.

The game has to be good. Period if the rules an play are good an not a copy paste of AoS I'm more than happy to be wrong an play.

On the other hand AoS has Seraphons, also an army I liked till it became summon units the army buy 100 more models. For a game with no structure and invisible horses.

While Slaanesh an EC are not the same thing they worship the fucker so if he/she/it goes the gently caress is the point quite honestly?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeast posted:

It's pretty telling when this is the Chaos list from the 'Choose a side' page.

The imperium side just says "space marines" while space wolves, blood angels and dark angels got their own entry. The CSM chapters aren't getting canned unless loyalists are too.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

I'd love it if fulgrim gets a model an more EC stuff came but if the game sucks why bother. I like the idea if a move stat makes sense.

However dumping stuff like the raptor talon sets a bad taste in my mouth unless you can deep strike an charge just have it have a penalty. It could happen but I don't have my hopes up.

The game has to be good. Period if the rules an play are good an not a copy paste of AoS I'm more than happy to be wrong an play.

On the other hand AoS has Seraphons, also an army I liked till it became summon units the army buy 100 more models. For a game with no structure and invisible horses.

While Slaanesh an EC are not the same thing they worship the fucker so if he/she/it goes the gently caress is the point quite honestly?

Yeah I agree that if the new rules are poo poo, none of this will matter. I'm tentatively on board with what little they've released, though.

Dumping the Raptor Talon sucks, but it may not be gone for good--AoS has formations--the difference is that (I have been told) AoS formations have a points cost associated with them (in addition to model costs). The summoning rules for AoS also have you pay points for summoned models now too, which is another thing 40k needs.

Otherwise, how big is your Raptor Talon? Having 2 squads of Raptors and a Chaos Lord without a special formation bonus isn't the end of the world--Raptors have historically been good units because of their cost, mobility, and the ability to take 2x meltaguns, and I'd bet on two out of three of those not changing. And if you got Warp Talons in there too, look on the bright side--they might not be worthless in the new edition!

Re: Slaanesh, I'm not sure I follow your logic. If the game comes out with rules for Fulgrim and the EC and they're good, who the gently caress cares what happens to Slaanesh in the fluff?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RagnarokAngel posted:

The imperium side just says "space marines" while space wolves, blood angels and dark angels got their own entry. The CSM chapters aren't getting canned unless loyalists are too.

This seems pretty exhaustive rules wise

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's the opposite of what I'm saying. The list is clearly missing Khorne and Slaanesh from the 'main armies'

everything else will be dealt with as Generic CSMs

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

JBP posted:

Yes those are all recognized as unique factions because GWs been laying the imperium love on thick. This isn't any different than how they're recognized in 7th ed.

Yeast posted:

That's the opposite of what I'm saying. The list is clearly missing Khorne and Slaanesh from the 'main armies'

everything else will be dealt with as Generic CSMs
Because thousand sons got their own book recently and death guard is soon so GW is marketing them as something unique like they space wolves, dark angels etc. Slaanesh and khorne have yet to get that treatment.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I hope they release angron and fulgrim. There was a hint that not all traitors and loyalists would remain on the same side. Hopefully they make it interesting and have a cool story arc for one of the primarchs seeking redemption or just trashing everything a second time.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

RagnarokAngel posted:

Because thousand sons got their own book recently and death guard is soon so GW is marketing them as something unique like they space wolves, dark angels etc. Slaanesh and khorne have yet to get that treatment.

That's exactly what I'm saying :v:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JBP posted:

I hope they release angron and fulgrim. There was a hint that not all traitors and loyalists would remain on the same side. Hopefully they make it interesting and have a cool story arc for one of the primarchs seeking redemption or just trashing everything a second time.

Angron and Fulgrim aren't gonna switch sides

JBP posted:

It doesn't break out Iron Hands, Raven Guard, White Scars, Imperial Fists, or Black Templar, which are more analogous to the Chaos Legions

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well, except for Khorne Daemonkin

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TheChirurgeon posted:

They don't have to wholesale switch sides, but they could do the right thing once (well not Angron, but Fulgrim and Magnus might have a glimmer of nobility left). EC could be interesting if they roll up Slaanesh as a God.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
8th edition looks cool as gently caress. A lot of the changes proposed sound really fun, and we might actually have orks and Nids viable again. And getting rid of codexes is cool and good. Now we won't have poo poo where CSM is still using a 6th ed codex while C:SM has been updated multiple times.

As for the Gathering Storm books, they are fluff books more than anything, hence why they were sold as campaign books. The Triumvirates will have new rules, don't worry.

New Mark IX armor tac marines look really freaking awesome as well. Though I hope Chaos gets something too, because jesus our regular troops blow rear end sculpt wise.

Seriously though, there are a lot of people getting really upset and going "see, I told you so" about 8th Ed(even though we have known that this was coming for a while) that are the same people that complain about the issues with the current edition, like how bloated it is. Things that are being addressed with these new changes. Plus, there are a lot of things coming over from AOS that work really well, and seeing as they seem to have learned from AOS(since in several gaming communities it seems to be taking over 40k in popularity) I am quite optimistic about how things are going to turn out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I feel bad for anybody who recently bought into the game within the past few months, especially when potential new players were being actively discouraged from paying attention to the constantly escalating trickle of new edition rumors and to overlook the possibility that a decent chunk of their recent investment was going to take a knock.

Death thread likes to dunk on 8th ed rumors and announcements with the "Age of the Emperor" moniker but, frankly, this is pretty obviously an Age of Sigmar style upheaval, just dialed back to a more reasonable level due to lessons learned the last time GW went entire pig on a product line overhaul. That said, from an outside perspective, 7th edition looked like a gigantic mess and I'm not surprised people would actually prefer to dehumanize and face to Sigmar than deal with that poo poo.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm pretty easily satisfied. I just want a game that's faster to play, and requires me to carry around less stuff to play it. I also really like the 40k universe, so the new edition is sounding pretty good to me. :shrug:

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

JBP posted:

There was a hint that not all traitors and loyalists would remain on the same side.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

Re: Slaanesh, I'm not sure I follow your logic. If the game comes out with rules for Fulgrim and the EC and they're good, who the gently caress cares what happens to Slaanesh in the fluff?

I actually like Slaanesh an its themes so it matters to me. God forbid I like things.

If I want tight rules an not care about fluff I'll play WMH the fluff an themes is half of why I'd play 40k. Tossing one is tossing both to me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Don't remind me about warmahordes fluff, oh god

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TheChirurgeon posted:

There's a dude at my lgs that's convinced that Fulgrim never made it out of the painting and that he's going to get restored into his body and lead the EC into redemption.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There's a dude at my lgs that's convinced that Fulgrim never made it out of the painting and that he's going to get restored into his body and lead the EC into redemption.

But none of the EC should give a poo poo about him. They would be loyal to Slannesh and their debauchery over him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I sure can't wait for the brand new Space Marine models that 8th edition will bring, they really deserve some new content since they haven't seen a real release in a long time! :)

• Locked thread