Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hahahaha goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm also really upset when people use the word decimate to mean destroy.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

spacetoaster posted:

Why would anyone sharpen a saber? Historically they were not sharpened because they don't need to be. You're hitting people with them from a running horse.

Besides, it's been known for a couple centuries now that the point beats the edge.

That's why the last of the cavalry sabers were straight-bladed

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Why would anyone sharpen a saber? Historically they were not sharpened because they don't need to be. You're hitting people with them from a running horse.

because cav is retarded

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

tastefully arranged labia posted:

because cav is retarded
Yep!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
S P U R R I D E

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A while back I was doing a recon module. It's the middle of the night and I don't feel like making GBS threads in the middle of the night loc or whatever the correct recon procedure is so I stumble off far enough that the staff won't see any spoil, scrape out a little hole and hope that I'm hitting the hole and covering over the right place since there's hardly any light. All very fine. In the morning we go down the hill and RV with the rest of the course and spend the morning on lessons. After lunch we go up the hill and the instructors have set up a demonstration OP on top of the hill. The instructors boot is about two inches away from the hollow in the ground where I covered my poo poo with about one inch of soil.

Well that's my poo poo story, hope you liked it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
When I was in Afghanistan we had a cash for work program and child labor laws didn't mean poo poo so we had kids filling sandbags for us. And I'm talking like, 7 year olds.

Anyway we were out in the middle of nowhere and our only place to poo poo was in these big holes dug right in the center of our outpost.

Long story short I took a poo poo in front of like 60 kids.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Spur ride checklist:
  1. The only "sleep" you get is about forty-five minutes of being wrapped up in your poncho on the side of a road while getting rained on at four in the morning.
  2. Breaking brush and backtracking at night is at least half of your land nav because the E6 who wound up on your team wants his little protégé private on point.
  3. The SCO wants everybody to do the spur ride, even if they a) already have spurs, b) are a POG, or c) just don't loving want to do it (you figure out the logistics on this one).
  4. You pick your commo guy as your battle buddy for the assault on a fixed position because you know he won't gently caress it up like everyone else will.
  5. Weapons station cadre can't quite figure out the 249.
  6. Why is there even a 249 here?
  7. The ruck raft and subsequent night cold winds up sending guys to the hospital with hypothermia.
  8. The NBC station cadre beg your team not to gently caress it up like the last guys did.
  9. The entire timeline is between four and six hours behind schedule (see Item 1).
  10. Where are the trucks that are supposed to take guys back out of the training area??
  11. Your medic doesn't know how to call a 9-line. Do his job for him.
  12. Perfectly reciting Fiddler's Green is the one get out of jail free card that allows you to bail your team out after they massively gently caress something up.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Naked Bear posted:

Perfectly reciting Fiddler's Green is the one get out of jail free card that allows you to bail your team out after they massively gently caress something up.

One of my the drill sergeants in my troop at Knox liked calling Fiddler's Green as a cadence. Can't tell you what his name was, but somehow Fiddler's Green is still in my head.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Most combat arms poo poo is dumb as gently caress but tanker tradition dictates steak and eggs after table 6 or 8 or whatever it is.

And not that bogus dfac bullshit either.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

not caring here posted:

Most combat arms poo poo is dumb as gently caress but tanker tradition dictates steak and eggs after table 6 or 8 or whatever it is.

And not that bogus dfac bullshit either.

That's probably among the least worst of the military traditions.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

SECURE THE GROG

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

A bottle of *braaaap* which represents the *tthhhbbbbbppttt*.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Naked Bear posted:

A bottle of *braaaap* which represents the *tthhhbbbbbppttt*.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

TBeats posted:

When I was in Afghanistan we had a cash for work program and child labor laws didn't mean poo poo so we had kids filling sandbags for us. And I'm talking like, 7 year olds.

Anyway we were out in the middle of nowhere and our only place to poo poo was in these big holes dug right in the center of our outpost.

Long story short I took a poo poo in front of like 60 kids.

Well you're on a checklist of sorts now.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Naked Bear posted:

Spur ride checklist:
  1. The only "sleep" you get is about forty-five minutes of being wrapped up in your poncho on the side of a road while getting rained on at four in the morning.
  2. Breaking brush and backtracking at night is at least half of your land nav because the E6 who wound up on your team wants his little protégé private on point.
  3. The SCO wants everybody to do the spur ride, even if they a) already have spurs, b) are a POG, or c) just don't loving want to do it (you figure out the logistics on this one).
  4. You pick your commo guy as your battle buddy for the assault on a fixed position because you know he won't gently caress it up like everyone else will.
  7. The ruck raft and subsequent night cold winds up sending guys to the hospital with hypothermia.
  8. The NBC station cadre beg your team not to gently caress it up like the last guys did.
  9. The entire timeline is between four and six hours behind schedule (see Item 1).
  10. Where are the trucks that are supposed to take guys back out of the training area??
  12. Perfectly reciting Fiddler's Green is the one get out of jail free card that allows you to bail your team out after they massively gently caress something up.

Best part is rucking like 40 miles throughout the whole thing despite being a Spur "Ride" and having stuff like big rocks or cinder blocks stuffed in your ruck because your sponsor thinks its funny

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm glad that MI weirdos are just borderline autistic and not masochistic.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Except there are a ton of meatheads who reclass to 35M/L because they hear it's cool.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Aranan posted:

borderline

???

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
whats up with cav deciding that the coolest part of their history was carrying genocide on american indians :confused:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

whats up with cav deciding that the coolest part of their history was carrying genocide on american indians :confused:

what is the coolest part of their heritage then

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

i dont loving know, i was brainwashed with marine propaganda not army cav stuff

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Distracting JEB Stuart at Gettysburg.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
We went on a staff ride once to a battle field from the Indian Wars that my unit took part in, the tribe we fought lived on a reservation nearby. Awkward.

We ate dinner in a tiny nearby town, local news crew came by because we must have been the most interesting thing that's happened there since my unit came through like 140 years ago.

Unless you're in an ABCT it seems like you don't get a stereotypical cav experience with all the horses and ceremony and poo poo.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

Spur ride checklist:

Makes me glad all I had to do to get my GOLD spurs and stetson was get shot at in Iraq while attached to some cav unit. :smuggo:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
My first roommate was some cav guy who was forced to spend about half of his first paycheck on that dumb hat, because his unit said everyone had to have one. He did not like me telling him that it looked stupid and that his unit was screwing him.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

1st cav had privates pulling 12 hour guard duty full battle rattle for their horsehead shield they had painted on the cement at loving Taji when i visited there

seriously the most surreal fuckin thing i could think of up to that point in iraq

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

1st cav had privates pulling 12 hour guard duty full battle rattle for their horsehead shield they had painted on the cement at loving Taji when i visited there

seriously the most surreal fuckin thing i could think of up to that point in iraq

Grandpa, what did you do in the great World War Two?

Well, I guarded some paint for worst cav in Taji. Shut the gently caress up Johnny.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
1/10 cav BUFFALO SOLDIERS

army lore because indian dudes thought black dudes looked like buffalo lol

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Grandpa, what did you do in the great World War Two?

Well, I guarded some paint for worst cav in Taji. Shut the gently caress up Johnny.

i felt really bad for the privates who had to put their lives on hold and fly all the way to iraq to stand loving guard of a bullshit jerkoff mural in iraqi summer heat

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i felt really bad for the privates who had to put their lives on hold and fly all the way to iraq to stand loving guard of a bullshit jerkoff mural in iraqi summer heat

And you just know they gave article 15's if they turned into heat casualties doing it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

And you just know they gave article 15's if they turned into heat casualties doing it.

and a poor medic would have to finger their butthole because of it

circle of army

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also their was a nurse in the CSH i worked at that was from 5th cav i think? mustangs? idk but he was a lovely fuckin nurse

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Being a forced reclass to a scout and not knowing a thing about any of their garbage, my response to their saying I need to get some tanker knockoff boots and a dumb hat and some other poo poo totalling up like nearly a grand was "ha! Are you out of your loving mind" did not make for an easy transition.

Also asking the question "what the gently caress is fiddler's green" I might as well have hosed myself in the rear end with a crucifix.

To be honest I still don't know if it's army thing or a scout thing but fiddler's green sounds like a child molesters golf course.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

spacetoaster posted:

Makes me glad all I had to do to get my GOLD spurs and stetson was get shot at in IraqAfghanistan while attached to some cav unit. :smuggo:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

SCOUTS OUT FRONT

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

MOMMA TOLD SALLY NOT TO GO DOWNTOWN
TOO MANY CAV SCOUTS HANGING AROUND

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Saw the same poo poo in Bagram. Kinda got the opinion that one was the FOB version of extra duty for fuckups though. I mean still god drat retarded because loving cav paint on the ground in Afghanistan what the hell? But they weren't there all the time 24/7.