Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Koburn posted:

Has there ever been an attempt to edit down the Wheel of Time series to remove the filler and poo poo parts? Similar to the fan edits of the star wars prequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
The latest novella by Bruce Sterling, called Pirate Utopia, is among today's Kindle Daily Deals for $1.99.
https://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Utopia-Bruce-Sterling-ebook/dp/B01G5V6FPQ

According to Wikipedia, it's "a Dieselpunk alternative history set in the Italian Regency of Carnaro."

The most recent Sterling I've read was Holy Fire which was pretty drat good but is now 10 years old. I have no idea how he has changed as a writer. I follow him on Twitter and can't really figure out if he's really into the whole maker culture, bad at making jokes, a grumpy old man, or all of the above.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Fart of Presto posted:

The latest novella by Bruce Sterling, called Pirate Utopia, is among today's Kindle Daily Deals for $1.99.
https://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Utopia-Bruce-Sterling-ebook/dp/B01G5V6FPQ

According to Wikipedia, it's "a Dieselpunk alternative history set in the Italian Regency of Carnaro."

Good, I was just craving some pro-fascist dieselpunk. This'll surely hit the spot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is diesel-punk basically Water World but without the dearth of dry land?

Leather vests, dust, cigars and pirates abound?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
One can only hope :clint::pirate:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

SomeMathGuy posted:

I'm going to be very surprised if they actually make it through all the books with that lineup.

Why the gently caress would anybody advertise their involvement with Hemlock Grove?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Drifter posted:

Is diesel-punk basically Water World but without the dearth of dry land?

Leather vests, dust, cigars and pirates abound?

Science fiction with a World War I/II aesthetic. As opposed to steampunk, science-fiction with a Victorian aesthetic.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

Science fiction with a World War I/II aesthetic. As opposed to steampunk, science-fiction with a Victorian aesthetic.

What style of clothing does that mean?

Or does everyone just walk around with one of these on their head?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 23, 2017

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Vacuum tubes on everything.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Peel posted:

Vacuum tubes on everything.

And a lot of motorcycles

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also trenchcoats and fedoras, because people actually had an excuse in the Twenties.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'm a huge fan of 1960s era Transistorpunk, personally

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Rough Lobster posted:

I'm a huge fan of 1960s era Transistorpunk, personally

Check out these goggles, I stuck a shitload of JFETS on them.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Koburn posted:

Has there ever been an attempt to edit down the Wheel of Time series to remove the filler and poo poo parts? Similar to the fan edits of the star wars prequels.

I don't think so and it's a real pity because I think there's a good 6 book series rattling around in there among the 50 plots that take forever to move or don't go anywhere and the 80 000 words wasted on skirt smoothing and disdainful sniffing.

It would be a big undertaking; the plot is so labyrinthine removing things without impairing other elements would be difficult.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

McCoy Pauley posted:

I enjoyed his Low Town trilogy (there's also a prequel short story), as well as (to a lightly lesser extent) his novella "The Builders." Low Town is about a former secret agent who is now low-level drug dealer in a bad part of this big city, in a lightly fantastic, mostly hardboiled setting. Parts of it reminded me of the Takeshi Kovacs novels, if Kovacs had been holding down a drug trade in some city in the Forgotten Realms or something. I mean all that in a good way -- it was a fun read, and I think if you liked A City Dreaming you might like it.

The Builders is a caper about this team getting revenge on some people who betrayed them in the past. Everybody in it is an animal, like if Wind and the Willows was a medieval revenge caper. It was fun.

I did not care for Polanksy's Empty Throne duology -- that didn't do anything for me.

I'll second this. Low Town was pretty enjoyable and I enjoyed reading those. I bounced off The Builders just because being talking animals wasn't my thing but maybe Il'll try again in the future.. Empty Throne duology was pretty loving awful, very poorly written and in just an offputting amateur-hour way so I'd say skip that and pretend it doesn't exist because its a pretty bad blackmark.

I'll have to read A City Dreaming as I didnt even know he had a new book out.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 23, 2017

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

What style of clothing does that mean?

Well, I got the story from the link, and apparently it's an all-black set of a shirt, jodhpurs and kepi. Basically, all the good guys are dressed like this:

The entire story so far is :psyduck: And poorly written, even for Sterling

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Neat! Space Team Vol 1 is on sale at amazon for .99 cents!

It's books 1-3. They are on kindle unlimited, but the books are pretty good. The first one tries a little bit too hard to force the funny for a bit, but the overall series is hilarious. Well worth a buck.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9ZKWKJ

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Book owns, although I found the action around the climax really hard to follow on the first read. Rifters 1 is also pretty good, in a very different way.

I see what you mean. I have the combined Blindsight + Echopraxia so there was even less indication I was coming to the end. poo poo seemed to suddenly hit the fan without much warning. All the action was so intense for the whole book that there wasn't much of a crescendo.

I really liked how innocuous the reveal about Sarasti being controlled by the Captain was. After all the earth shattering neuro-horror it was nice to have a twist that was a more subdued "wait....what?".

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Just skip books 7-10, ez

Winter's Heart (#9) owns

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ROFLburger posted:

Winter's Heart (#9) owns

A Crown of Swords also reads very well, ending as it does with One Power Paintball in Shadar Logoth and an actual advancement of the overall plot. It's only #8 and #10 (plus the start of #11) that aren't good, and at least Jordan spent the time writing himself out of the corner unlike a certain other author born in 1948.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Crown of Swords also has Mat fighting the gholam in the slums, Nynaeve and Elayne having to apologize to Mat, and a bunch of other fairly good scenes. It's one of my favorites, honestly.

Also, I find that in a reread I don't actually dislike book #8 that much. My dislike for it really stemmed from waiting for it after book 7 and then having to wait for book 9 after it. Since I can just go 7->8->9 now, I'm really pretty okay with it.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 24, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Which was the circus one. It's terrible.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

ROFLburger posted:

Winter's Heart (#9) owns

I dunno, I'm actually reading that one right now and it seems kind of pointless. Not as bad as Path of Daggers was, though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The end of Winter's Heart is the best part of the book.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
You could probably make a decent single large novel out of 7-10 (well, as decent as the limitations of Jordan's writing will allow).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

#9 was the book where I stopped reading, because it took a thousand pages for sweet gently caress all to happen, and that was the point when I realized that Jordan would continue starting new subplots and never resolving them until the day it took multiple volumes to cover a single minute of plot.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ToxicFrog posted:

#9 was the book where I stopped reading, because it took a thousand pages for sweet gently caress all to happen, and that was the point when I realized that Jordan would continue starting new subplots and never resolving them until the day it took multiple volumes to cover a single minute of plot.

Funny since I figured out the same thing except on Book #4 or 5?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xaris posted:

I was young and stupid.

In recent years I've actually been making a conscious effort to fail-fast and recognize when I'm just reading a book or series because of inertia or because I'm curious about where it's going (without actually enjoying the reading itself), and stop. There are too many good books out there to waste time.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah it's kind of amazing and jarring how quickly Sanderson starts to wrap poo poo up. Don't get me wrong, it still takes three books, but when he takes over it goes from Robert Jordan crawl to "okay poo poo's happening now!" and doesn't really slow down til the end. The transition from 11 to 12 is pretty funny to see now that the series is complete.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Xaris posted:

I figured out the same thing on book #1. :smuggo:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Was Ancillary Mercy worth reading? I read Ancillary Justice several times and then was somewhat bored by Ancillary Sword and kind of forgot about the third book until just now, for some reason.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

andrew smash posted:

Was Ancillary Mercy worth reading? I read Ancillary Justice several times and then was somewhat bored by Ancillary Sword and kind of forgot about the third book until just now, for some reason.

You might as well finish the series.

You will note that this is not high praise. I read about a third of Mercy before realizing I was taking the series out of order. Justice is the only prize in the trilogy.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 25, 2017

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Jedit posted:

A Crown of Swords also reads very well, ending as it does with One Power Paintball in Shadar Logoth and an actual advancement of the overall plot. It's only #8 and #10 (plus the start of #11) that aren't good, and at least Jordan spent the time writing himself out of the corner unlike a certain other author born in 1948.

Well to be fair, that certain author has to actually write to get out of his corner.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Solitair posted:

I figured out the same thing on book #1. :smuggo:
I was the kid who even read all the Shanara garbage books and I was somewhat enjoying the first couple books since they had promise, but then I just saw it was really going nowhere and reading 1000 page random clothing generator descriptions and just introducing side stories after side stories I gave up. I didn't even know better back then or I would have stopped at 1.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

mllaneza posted:

You might as well finish the series.

You will note that this is not high praise. I read about a third of Mercy before realizing I was taking the series out of order. Justice is the only prize in the trilogy.

Yeah, after Justice, Sword and Mercy are weirdly kinda dull. I'd say Mercy is better than Sword, but still. Strange direction for that series to go.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

andrew smash posted:

I enjoyed Mercy and think that, yes, it's worth reading, but it's not as good as Justice. You'll probably like it more than Sword, though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Which was the circus one. It's terrible.

By circus do mean the time where Nynaeve and Elayne joined a travelling show to hide themselves or the part where Mat and Tuon join the same travelling show to hide themselves? :suicide:

The former's in TFoH, I think? But that book's also got Rand taking Cairhien and Andor and Mat becoming a general by accident, and so is officially Rad As gently caress.

Actually, I'm struggling to think of any Rand plotlines I don't like. Mat's are usually pretty great too. It's just the Supergirls' stuff and Perrin hunting Aiel for three entire books or whatever the gently caress that was.

I swear the Supergirls spend 90% of their time locked up in stuffy rooms sniping at each other and waiting for things to happen.

In other news, David Goyer is adapting The Black Company because Eliza Dushku wanted to play the Lady. So that's happening.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Cardiac posted:

Well to be fair, that certain author has to actually write to get out of his corner.

As I understand it, a certain author's problem is not so much not writing, but more endlessly rewriting and rewriting and rewriting. Granted, this also results in a dearth of actually finished manuscripts, but the process is different.

(Which is an amusing parallel with another author of an earlier generation but with the same middle initials, because that other author was in his time the High King of endless rewrites, to the point where careers were subsequently made from his desk drawers full of leftover drafts and revisions.)

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Autonomous Monster posted:

In other news, David Goyer is adapting The Black Company because Eliza Dushku wanted to play the Lady. So that's happening.

I also discovered we're getting a new novel set between the first two. Hmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Autonomous Monster posted:

While this is probably the worst reason possible, is there any chance it could turn out... alright?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 25, 2017