Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Jedi posted:

Off the top of my head, Waldenbooks, B. Dalton, and Borders no longer exist, and neither do quite a few local mom and pop book stores. To pretend that all of them had incompetent management is disingenuous at best. Amazon was a huge contributor to that - and they sell a Kindle. To pretend that digital sales have no impact also isn't fair. The medium is changing. Just like you'll have difficulty finding a local typewriter repairman - there will come a time that physical books are considered a quaint affectation.

Waldenbooks was a subsidiary of Borders though so I'd imagine they went down with that ship.

edit:

Rhyno posted:

Borders laughed in their faces. W all know how that worked out. Also waldenbooks was owned by Borders.
uhh, yeah, what he said!

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Physical book sales have actually been going up annually the last few years.

But that's a bit of a bounce back, of course.

Edit: Beaten.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

American Comics should adopt the Manga distribution system. Instead of every series getting its own monthly print release, there are monthly magazines each with 5-8 series in them.
Like, "Detective Comics" would be a monthly magazine, each issue would be 200 or more pages long, and contain new installments of Batman, Batwoman, Green Arrow, etc.

this would be loving dope but couldn't work because part of the modern market is driven by the collector mentality whereas the manga distribution system works because it puts out its weekly/monthly/whatever mags on the shittiest paper imaginable because they're thought of as disposable, if you're a fan you collect a series in tanks

completely antithetical to the american system

CapnAndy posted:

Those are... really good ideas, though? Pretty drat solid.

I'm still reading through the thing myself; I have Opinions, surprising nobody, but I want to save it until the end.

getting rid of physical singles is goddamn insane

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

See, now we know it's a good idea.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

If Rhyno has to sleep on the street or -gasp- get a real job that's just a bullet he'll have to take in order to save the comic industry. Come on Rhyno, bring it down from the inside!

Eat a dick with this real job poo poo, retail is a real job even if it's af a local shop

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This was $5 well spent

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Eat a dick with this real job poo poo, retail is a real job even if it's af a local shop

It was a joke at Rhyno's expense. Stop being so sensitive BENGHAZI 2.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

I also work at a a shop homie and "real job" sentiments are too common

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

gently caress even I joke about it.

But via my joke job I netted roughly $5000 worth of free poo poo in 2016, much of which I was able to flip for cash so I ain't doing too bad.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Real jobs are as follows
    doctor
    hedge fund manager
    senator
    actor in a movie produced by Disney

Everyone else is going to be replaced by a robot, the internet, or an orphan in another country who will be paid 27 cents a day to do twice as much work as you. And that CGI Tarkin was a pretty loving clear shot across the bow to Disney actors. Chris Pratt better have a plan B lined up

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I also work at a a shop homie and "real job" sentiments are too common

It was just a nudge at Rhyno dude. Calm down. I would guarantee he knew what I meant.

Roth posted:

This was $5 well spent

What the hell even is that thing?

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 23, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyway the spacetwink essay is dumb as a butt

Edit you can pick either one they're basically all him screaming about direct market

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 23, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Real jobs are as follows
    doctor
    hedge fund manager
    senator
    actor in a movie produced by Disney

Everyone else is going to be replaced by a robot, the internet, or an orphan in another country who will be paid 27 cents a day to do twice as much work as you. And that CGI Tarkin was a pretty loving clear shot across the bow to Disney actors. Chris Pratt better have a plan B lined up

Surely he's safe from CGI in Jurassic Park.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm skimming his first essay again and he starts by talking about the comics code without the important context that DC helped write it to eliminate competition it's all just LOOK HOW DUMB THIS WAS

Edit he follows this up with"it's an important bit of history" even tho he misses why it's actually important in favor of focusing on the anti drug issues of ASM

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 23, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jedi posted:

Off the top of my head, Waldenbooks, B. Dalton, and Borders no longer exist, and neither do quite a few local mom and pop book stores. To pretend that all of them had incompetent management is disingenuous at best. Amazon was a huge contributor to that - and they sell a Kindle. To pretend that digital sales have no impact also isn't fair. The medium is changing. Just like you'll have difficulty finding a local typewriter repairman - there will come a time that physical books are considered a quaint affectation.

Amazon also owns ComiXology so it wants digital comics to sell more than floppies

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

What the hell even is that thing?

Star Wars Tales is an anthology series where a bunch of writers would write short stories related to Star Wars. Some were canon, some weren't, and the ones that weren't tended to be really off the wall ones.

This is from George R. Binks, a story about Jar Jar's father, who is trapped on an island with his son and wife after their fishing boat gets shipwrecked, and has to deal with his son being Jar Jar.

Other bizarre stories include: That story about the force sensitive droid that blows itself up so R2 can go with Luke (written by Peter David of all people), parodies of The Breakfast Club, Judge Judy, Pulp Fiction, and Fight Club. A Garth Ennis story about one of the stormtroopers that went on the Tantive IV at the beginning of ANH, and a story where Han and Chewie crash land on Earth, Chewie becomes the inspiration for Bigfoot, and Indiana Jones discovers Han's skeleton.

It's all on Marvel Unlimited, and well worth a read.

Edit - Here's one of the shortest stories they did.

Roth fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 23, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Roth posted:

Star Wars Tales is an anthology series where a bunch of writers would write short stories related to Star Wars. Some were canon, some weren't, and the ones that weren't tended to be really off the wall ones.

This is from George R. Binks, a story about Jar Jar's father, who is trapped on an island with his son and wife after their fishing boat gets shipwrecked, and has to deal with his son being Jar Jar.

Other bizarre stories include: That story about the force sensitive droid that blows itself up so R2 can go with Luke (written by Peter David of all people), parodies of The Breakfast Club, Judge Judy, Pulp Fiction, and Fight Club. A Garth Ennis story about one of the stormtroopers that went on the Tantive IV at the beginning of ANH, and a story where Han and Chewie crash land on Earth, Chewie becomes the inspiration for Bigfoot, and Indiana Jones discovers Han's skeleton.

God I want to read that Ennis one

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

God I want to read that Ennis one

It's in issue 10. The story is called 'Trooper'

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wait, is that where that thing about the droid intentionally popping its top so C3PO and R2D2 don't get separated originally comes from? I always thought it was some weird fan theory.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

Wait, is that where that thing about the droid intentionally popping its top so C3PO and R2D2 don't get separated originally comes from? I always thought it was some weird fan theory.

It goes further than that. It's called Skippy, the Jedi Droid. It is a force sensitive droid that can levitate rocks, and Obi-Wan frequently felt its presence but never realized they were a droid.

It has a vision when it was bought by Owen about how terrible things would be if R2 doesn't get bought by Luke, and blows itself up to save the galaxy in a way.

I have no idea how Peter David thought to write this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He probably got told he could write about any character in Star Wars and challenged himself to make an interesting story out of the most pointless and asinine character possible.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jedi posted:

There's far fewer bookstores today than there were 10 years ago. It's going away - it's not quite there yet, and for certain fields, print will be around for awhile. However, my nephews in grade school were given iPads this year and several of their classes don't have physical text books anymore. It's all on the tablet.

Yeah my kid does everything on a tablet. Still reads floppies though. Physical media isn't going away anytime soon, especially when the alternative is overpriced digital media.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, I'd switch to digital for new comics, but they're all the same price as physical comics, and I get a 20% discount at the comic shop I go to.

It's really not a choice for me.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

From the second paragraph of the article you quoted: "Mass market has been on the wane since the introduction of e-books, and its slide continued in 2016 with a 7.7% drop in unit sales. Physical audio, where sales were down 13.5% on the year, also took a big hit from digital." If you check the chart at the bottom, mass market is down 25% since 2013 - digital is hurting them. I read exceptionally quickly and before I had my Kindle, I was buying 3 paperbacks a week to keep me busy on the commute. Now? I can't remember the last physical book I bought. It's like pay phones and typewriters and lots of other stuff we had when I was a kid. Yeah, they're still around, but they're not nearly as common as they once were. It's a slow burn for certain - but pretending it's not affecting the industry is short sighted.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DC's trying out $4 print w/download code, $3 digital.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Space Fish posted:

DC's trying out $4 print w/download code, $3 digital.

[Extremely Rhyno's customers voice] So much for drawing the line at 2.99.....

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Roth posted:

Edit - Here's one of the shortest stories they did.

Reminds me: Alan Moore also did a few utterly bizarre Star Wars stories that didn't really involve anything about the series, setting, or characters but maybe had a reference or two shoved in there

So, uh, Princess Leia is being chased by Stormtroopers on a remote moon somewhere. Got it?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e: source is Classic Star Wars: Devilworlds 2

Mover fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 23, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh man, I didn't know Alan Moore wrote Star Wars stories. Is that from the old Marvel Star Wars stuff?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jedi posted:

From the second paragraph of the article you quoted: "Mass market has been on the wane since the introduction of e-books, and its slide continued in 2016 with a 7.7% drop in unit sales. Physical audio, where sales were down 13.5% on the year, also took a big hit from digital." If you check the chart at the bottom, mass market is down 25% since 2013 - digital is hurting them. I read exceptionally quickly and before I had my Kindle, I was buying 3 paperbacks a week to keep me busy on the commute. Now? I can't remember the last physical book I bought. It's like pay phones and typewriters and lots of other stuff we had when I was a kid. Yeah, they're still around, but they're not nearly as common as they once were. It's a slow burn for certain - but pretending it's not affecting the industry is short sighted.

Um, dude, did you only read that part of the paragraph?

"Most print formats had an outstanding year, with hardcover up 5.4%, trade paperback up 4%, and board books up 7.4%. Mass market has been on the wane since the introduction of e-books, and its slide continued in 2016 with a 7.7% drop in unit sales. Physical audio, where sales were down 13.5% on the year, also took a big hit from digital."

One particular format, mass market paperbacks were down. But the increase in hardcover and larger format paperbacks and children's books was more than the drop in mmpb, so overall print book sales were up.

And audio books were down too but no poo poo, listening off a CD doesn't give you any different experience than listening to an MP3.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

There are a handful on Unlimited under Classic Star Wars: Devilworlds. edited the source into my post.

They're all pretty short but there's a cool one in there about a junk droid colony forming a gestalt machine god through worship and another about a malevolent space djinn that I dig

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Um, dude, did you only read that part of the paragraph?

"Most print formats had an outstanding year, with hardcover up 5.4%, trade paperback up 4%, and board books up 7.4%. Mass market has been on the wane since the introduction of e-books, and its slide continued in 2016 with a 7.7% drop in unit sales. Physical audio, where sales were down 13.5% on the year, also took a big hit from digital."

One particular format, mass market paperbacks were down. But the increase in hardcover and larger format paperbacks and children's books was more than the drop in mmpb, so overall print book sales were up.

And audio books were down too but no poo poo, listening off a CD doesn't give you any different experience than listening to an MP3.

I was working at a (rather large,) family-owned bookstore during the "death of brick and mortar" days. I remember when Borders closed, and when it seemed like all the little streetcorner bookstores seemed to be dying off. I also remember when that stopped happening because the industry re-stabilised like six months later. This was about five years ago. Barnes and Noble's still kicking, the major Canadian retailers (Chapters and McNally Robinson, the latter being my alma mater,) were basically untouched, and tiny little corner bookstores are still everywhere.

The Death of the Bookstore is just as much of a myth as the Death of Print was in the early days of ebooks, or the Death of the Hardcover when mass market paperbacks were introduced in the 1940s. Everytime a new "disruptive" product or business model pops up, the same short-sighted chorus heralds the death of the industry, and they've been proven wrong every single time. Just because a new format is introduced, even if it's cheaper/more convenient/made of chocolate/whatever, doesn't mean the prior format loses all of its market share. The new thing finds its niche alongside what already exists, the numbers are shuffled around accordingly, and life goes on. Retail won't die until society as a whole decides they don't much care for physical browsing and not waiting a week and a half to get the product they paid for.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Reminder that it's been a little over a year since this incident:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

It goes further than that. It's called Skippy, the Jedi Droid. It is a force sensitive droid that can levitate rocks, and Obi-Wan frequently felt its presence but never realized they were a droid.

It has a vision when it was bought by Owen about how terrible things would be if R2 doesn't get bought by Luke, and blows itself up to save the galaxy in a way.

I have no idea how Peter David thought to write this.

I liked the one Tony Isabella wrote where Han Solo does the "smuggling wheelbarrows" trick with spaceships and the one which reveals how Lando won Cloud City in a card game.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

If Will Eisner's so great than how come Frimme Hersh's rear end isn't out and about to teach us all about getting STEM degrees?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Fastest I've ever been blocked by somebody on Twitter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

I almost forgot that Diaz existed, almost. Curse you.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

It's like rayheaiiiiiiin

On your wedding day

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Who is Aaron Diaz and why should we care?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

Who is Aaron Diaz and why should we care?

He does a dumb webcomic where people with shiny butts wax poetic about cyberpunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Huh, I never realized "Trooper" was written by Ennis. Makes sense though considering it's probably one of the darkest stories in the series. I also really liked "Apocalypse Endor," which tells the story of an old stormtrooper vet recounting the horror of fighting the Ewoks.

• Locked thread