Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

since you mentioned persona ports, are you also up for psp recs
Yeah if they're playable on Vita. I have seen the Danganronpa LPs but maybe it's worth playing them myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

looking to get a vita because with persona 5 out, i'm jonesing for persona 4 golden. I'm looking to do digital purchases primarily; how big are the games typically and are the memory cards still stupid expensive?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Most of the Vita releases I bought off PSN were about 4gb each. Memory cards are still absurdly overpriced; if anything, it's gotten worse than it used to be.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PenguinKnight posted:

looking to get a vita because with persona 5 out, i'm jonesing for persona 4 golden. I'm looking to do digital purchases primarily; how big are the games typically and are the memory cards still stupid expensive?

3GB with some measure of patch download for good games
Yes

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Yikes yeah $60 for 32 gb. I'm probably getting it used so it's not that big an issue, and the Easter flash sale gave me some Vita ports of PS4 games I bought, so it feels worth it still.

Are there any good cases that have pouches for the game cards, then? :v:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The Milkman posted:

Uhh, anyone have this deal where the face buttons, d-pad, start and select work on the dashboard but not in game? Is this my punishment for leaving it in the drawer too long?

Should I be surprised that even Sony doesn't want to deal with this poo poo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

PenguinKnight posted:

Are there any good cases that have pouches for the game cards, then? :v:

I've been using the Amazon Basics hardshell case (can't link from phone). has slots in it for three games and one storage card.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Milkman posted:

Should I be surprised that even Sony doesn't want to deal with this poo poo

RIP

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

I've been using the Amazon Basics hardshell case (can't link from phone). has slots in it for three games and one storage card.

This one?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Captain Baal posted:

Idr if you've played Danganronpa, but I'd recommend the first game. Maybe the second.

Definitely play Ultra Despair Girls if you want a nice game to make stupid jokes over and nothing else.

Second game won me over right after the 1st trial.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I was thinking of getting a Vita for the Persona ports. What other interesting games does it have that aren't on the PC? I am OK with anime.

I am a strategy RPG nerd so if you hate that genre then maybe watch YouTube to see if these are for you.

Tactics Ogre >>>> Growlanser Wayfarer of Time >> Demon Gaze

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sefal posted:

Second game won me over right after the 1st trial.

That's understandable because that character is the best character in the series

(I know nothing of the true third game, though)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

I was thinking of getting a Vita for the Persona ports. What other interesting games does it have that aren't on the PC? I am OK with anime.

Dungeon Travelers 2 and Dragon's Crown are the 2 best games that people haven't mentioned yet, but both have levels of fanservice you might not be comfortable with. They are actually good games though, not just a mediocre vehicle to deliver anime titties like every other heavy fanservice game I've played.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

EGSunBro posted:

Digimon Cyber Sleuth: A JRPG that feels really Persona-like, but also has hundreds of digimon to own and evolve. It's story is pretty fun and engaging and the battle system is really simple but has a lot going for it just from breadth of mons you can own.

I love Cyber Sleuth and all but other then being turn-based JRPG's and having monsters to summon I don't really see it being too similar to Persona. Maybe that's similar enough for you but idk if i agree

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

mandatory lesbian posted:

I love Cyber Sleuth and all but other then being turn-based JRPG's and having monsters to summon I don't really see it being too similar to Persona. Maybe that's similar enough for you but idk if i agree

It's mostly the aesthetic. It's kinda hard to quantify because it's been a while, but playing it gave me real Persona feelings. Obviously it doesn't have social links or anything, but the focus on friendships and weird item fetch sidequests for minor characters that just showed off how everyone you interact with on every level is a goofy nerd, except when it gets real dark for sudden and brief moments just brought similar feelings I suppose. I think it's an easy rec for someone who's willing to buy a console for Persona, basically.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Vita has EDF2.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SelenicMartian posted:

Vita has EDF2.

And EDF3!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah if they're playable on Vita. I have seen the Danganronpa LPs but maybe it's worth playing them myself.
Play Yggdra Union

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The Milkman posted:

Uhh, anyone have this deal where the face buttons, d-pad, start and select work on the dashboard but not in game? Is this my punishment for leaving it in the drawer too long?

Had this once, it was fixed on reboot though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
While playing Valkyrie Drive's MP, randomly the system crashes and it sends to a black screen with the message "An error has occurred. The PS Vita system will be powered off"

Anyone knows what causes this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

While playing Valkyrie Drive's MP, randomly the system crashes and it sends to a black screen with the message "An error has occurred. The PS Vita system will be powered off"

Anyone knows what causes this?

It may be one of the two of your disconnecting badly and the game not knowing how to handle it. There are a few multiplayer games which deal badly with unexpected disconnects.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Congrats to Valkyrie Drive for being so badly made that it repeatedly causes the Vita OS to segfault.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Failboattootoot posted:

Dungeon Travelers 2 and Dragon's Crown are the 2 best games that people haven't mentioned yet, but both have levels of fanservice you might not be comfortable with. They are actually good games though, not just a mediocre vehicle to deliver anime titties like every other heavy fanservice game I've played.

Dragon's Crown doesn't have a Vita port, does it? I thought it just had local play broadcast from the PStriple.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It totally has a Vita port

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh poo poo it does. The real question now is, then, does it do netplay with the PS3 version? :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The White Dragon posted:

Oh poo poo it does. The real question now is, then, does it do netplay with the PS3 version? :v:

Yes, it has cross-save and cross-play.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Just noticed that the Vita tread gets way more posts than the Xbone thread.

That's it.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Didn't the Vita out perform the Wii U as well?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

zenintrude posted:

Just noticed that the Vita tread gets way more posts than the Xbone thread.

That's it.

Yeah but the xbone isn't out yet right?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Anora posted:

I don't think so quite yet but it'll probably lurch past the Wii U by sheer inertia from the Asian and Japanese markets.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Man I really really want DT2-2 to get localised.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Anora posted:

I don't know in terms of numbers sold but by lifespan it's probably going to outlive the Wii U, since the very last Wii U game is....Darksiders, in May.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

kirbysuperstar posted:

Congrats to Valkyrie Drive for being so badly made that it repeatedly causes the Vita OS to segfault.

segfault? What does that mean in Layman terms?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

segfault? What does that mean in Layman terms?

Segfault itself is short for segmentation fault: the program tried to somehow get at memory that didn't belong to it. Modern operating systems have elaborate protection in place to prevent this, since this is the classical vector (other than - and often in combination with - hapless user) to exploit a computer system and either make it do things it shouldn't or loot it for data viking-style.

In kirbysuperstar's context it has a different meaning: some bug or edge case or whatever manages to trigger an error that gets by every graceful error handler the system has, so to protect the system and its data from any further harm the system kills the program or, if the program has kernel access, as console games at least used to (and a lot of times still do), locks up the system.

TL;DR: Computer fall down, go boom.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

dont be mean to me posted:

Segfault itself is short for segmentation fault: the program tried to somehow get at memory that didn't belong to it. Modern operating systems have elaborate protection in place to prevent this, since this is the classical vector (other than - and often in combination with - hapless user) to exploit a computer system and either make it do things it shouldn't or loot it for data viking-style.

In kirbysuperstar's context it has a different meaning: some bug or edge case or whatever manages to trigger an error that gets by every graceful error handler the system has, so to protect the system and its data from any further harm the system kills the program or, if the program has kernel access, as console games at least used to (and a lot of times still do), locks up the system.

TL;DR: Computer fall down, go boom.

I see, thanks for the explanation!

I wonder how is that Valkyrie Drive manages to trigger that though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I see, thanks for the explanation!

I wonder how is that Valkyrie Drive manages to trigger that though.

Extremely lovely programming is how.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Aren't a fair number of Vitas bugged with memory card issues that force crashes anyway?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Midjack posted:

Extremely lovely programming is how.

That's too harsh, isn't like the game dies every single time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's too harsh, isn't like the game dies every single time.

Bounds checking has been a known prevention for these problems almost as long as digital computers have existed. That these problems continue to occur in 2017 speaks volumes about the people who write them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Pureauthor posted:

Man I really really want DT2-2 to get localised.

Right now I'm just hoping the Asian English Demon Gaze 2 release isn't vaporware. Still no word of a release date.