Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gerry Duggan is bringing Darkhawk to the Guardians of the Galaxy. Assuring his spot as my favorite writer ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Now I'm interested in Marvel Rebirth. Beautiful.

and saying that, It's all but confirmed...
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/22/marvel-legacy-break-internet-missing-central-piece-marvel-mythos-fantastic/
... but if the Richards family doesn't bust themselves back into the world like Wally West, you're in trouble, Aaron.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 23, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Gerry Duggan is bringing Darkhawk to the Guardians of the Galaxy. Assuring his spot as my favorite writer ever.

Did anyone do anything with him after that weird mini during War of Kings?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Did anyone do anything with him after that weird mini during War of Kings?

He was in Avengers Arena which I never read, and I think The Loners mini was before that. So really only Avengers Arena. Duggan said he'll be revisiting the mythology from the Abnett/Lanning stuff.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

X-O posted:

Yyyyyeeeeeesssssssssssssssssss

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Can Jason Aaron write everything please?

Also I was basically told to gently caress off when I asked about Miracleman in the Marvel booth.

You know what needs to come out more? Southern bastards

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

On the last page people were trying to think of how this Cap story could turn out to be some kind of trickery or fakeout, etc. and it keeps reminding me of the end of The Gathering of Five when Green Goblin kills Spider-Man and I had to wait thirty days to find out that at some point in the previous issue the omniscient viewpoint of the comic had become Osborn's cursed super-insanity POV so It Was All Just A Dream. And then we got robbed out of seeing Spider-Man have a good throw-down with him (a recurring thing since Osborn came back).

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

You know what needs to come out more? Southern bastardsThe Goddamned

FTFY.

I'm only half-kidding. I know SB is a good book, it just didn't do it for me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Dude at C2E2 got to talk to Ramon Perez and ask him about Nova

Nova had 20 issues planned, the editor had to fight hard to even get them the last two issues because marvel wanted to end it mid-arc. Rich's armor looking different had backstory planned. And probably most understandably, Perez sounded really disappointed about it all and loved working on the book.

Just depressing stuff.

EDIT: Further Despair for those that enjoyed it

quote:

Tomorrow is STAR-LORD #6, the last issue of the GROUNDED arc and, sadly, the final issue for the series. I’m immensely proud of what Kris, Matt and I were able to do in those issues: exploring an estranged Peter, finding his footing without the Guardians, on a planet he’s now out of step with.

And, of course, for those who haven’t been getting the individual issues, the GROUNDED trade will be out soon after, so please check it out. Trade sales won’t save the series, but it may show the higher-ups that a series should breathe a bit before laid out to pasture.

http://zdarsky.tumblr.com/post/159720103556/it-was-a-short-ride-but-drat-it-was-fun-tomorrow

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Rhyno posted:

Can Jason Aaron write everything please?

All-Aaron, All-Ewing Marvel would be pretty stellar.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

rantmo posted:

All-Aaron, All-Ewing Marvel would be pretty stellar.

I remember when people said that about Brian Michael Bendis and J.M.S. Or to get really old school, Chris Claremont and Frank Miller.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

"If only they'd let Matt Fraction write the next big event"

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pretty bad rear end how all the Marvel books worth reading are getting dumpstered.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Lurdiak posted:

"If only they'd let Matt Fraction write the next big event"

Fear Itself is looking better and better in hindsight.

Since FI we've had:

Spider-Island (June 2011)
Ultimate Fallout (July 2011)
Avengers vs. X-Men (April 2012)
Age of Ultron (March 2013)
Infinity (August 2013)
Inhumanity (December 2013)
Original Sin (May 2014)
AXIS (October 2014)
Spider-Verse (November 2014)
The Black Vortex (February 2015)
Secret Wars (May 2015)

Avengers: Standoff! (March 2016)
Civil War II (June 2016)
Inhumans vs. X-Men (November 2016)

I bolded the three that I thought were the best crossovers since then, but FI still ranks about everything else on the list.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 23, 2017

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Internet nazis are already using cap as the new pepe so great job marvel

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't wait for Nick Spencer to be surprised about that.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
*sigh* I was hoping there would be a return of the cosmic Marvel titles/storytelling that were out during the time of Annihilation/War of Kings/DnA's run on Nova.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

I can't wait for Nick Spencer to be surprised about that.
Nick Spencer needs to get the gently caress off Twitter for real. Or everyone involved in comics really, Twitter just seems to slam directly into the brains of creatives and make them Never Stop Posting.

Spencer and his free speech crusade.
Frank Cho and his big titty rampage.

I'd swear there have been others too.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Pierson posted:

Nick Spencer needs to get the gently caress off Twitter for real. Or everyone involved in comics really, Twitter just seems to slam directly into the brains of creatives and make them Never Stop Posting.

It's a double edged sword. It gives people unprecedented access to creators - while at the same time, giving them unfiltered access to creators. By it's very nature, Twitter lends itself easily to making off the cuff remarks without much thought behind them.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Pierson posted:

i want to go on a big titty rampage

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Pierson posted:

Remender and his hoping people drown in hobo piss rampage?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pierson posted:

I have Dan Slott blocked because he "Well actually"'d into my mentions randomly because he's a big namesearching baby.

Erica and Ryan can stay, though. They're good at Twitter.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 23, 2017

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I probably missed it, but does this event explain when Steve might have had possession of a cosmic cube, an infinity gem, or other tools where he could have taken over the world right there instead of waiting until now?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ghostinmyshell posted:

I probably missed it, but does this event explain when Steve might have had possession of a cosmic cube, an infinity gem, or other tools where he could have taken over the world right there instead of waiting until now?

He was wearing the Infinity Gauntlet for a minute during the run-up to Secret Wars, and that would've probably done it. All it would've required was an errant thought before he went about repelling the incursion.

Of course, that and everything like it can easily be handwaved as something Kobik didn't know about.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Jedi posted:

It's a double edged sword. It gives people unprecedented access to creators - while at the same time, giving them unfiltered access to creators. By it's very nature, Twitter lends itself easily to making off the cuff remarks without much thought behind them.
How the internet has exposed people to a level of celebrity they really aren't prepared for is fascinating in general.

Lovechop posted:

i want to go on a big titty rampage
it was such a ridiculous god drat non-argument to pop off about as well, but whatever Frank you do your thing

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Was the Blackout character in SE#0 supposed to be Bob Reynolds/Sentry/Void? Zemo referred to him as Bob and they talked about the void descending on the city.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Was the Blackout character in SE#0 supposed to be Bob Reynolds/Sentry/Void? Zemo referred to him as Bob and they talked about the void descending on the city.

Blackout is a preexisting character who was a member of the Masters of Evil. He has the power to tap into the Darkforce Dimension.

Blackout is also dead as hell and has been since the late '80s, so I'm not sure why he's there at all, but hey, comic books.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Wanderer posted:

Blackout is also dead as hell and has been since the late '80s, so I'm not sure why he's there at all, but hey, comic books.

Presumably it's one of several callbacks between the main title and Thunderbolts to the particular lineup Zemo put together for the Assault on Avengers Mansion story in the 80s. And that was... I want to say also the line-up that formed the backbone of Busiek's original Thunderbolts, minus Goliath and the Beetle.

Baron Zemo, Absorbing Man, the aforementioned Blackout, Moonstrone, Screaming Mimi, Goliath, Fixer, Grey Gargoyle, Mister Hyde, the Wrecking Crew, Yellowjacket (the Rita one) and a few others I'm blanking on. Oh, Titania and Whirlwind. I don't think Nitro was involved but who knows, it's been awhile.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Zemo rescued Blackout some years ago. Isn't he Atlas/Goliath's brother?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Archyduke posted:

Baron Zemo, Absorbing Man, the aforementioned Blackout, Moonstrone, Screaming Mimi, Goliath, Fixer, Grey Gargoyle, Mister Hyde, the Wrecking Crew, Yellowjacket (the Rita one) and a few others I'm blanking on. Oh, Titania and Whirlwind. I don't think Nitro was involved but who knows, it's been awhile.

I think Scorpion was also there.

Rhyno posted:

I remember Atlas's brother being the Smuggler, except he also had Darkforce-related powers, so he might have become a Blackout.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ghostinmyshell posted:

At the time when he had those items, would he have not yet been retconned/unretconned/pepe'd into becoming Captain Fascism with his amazing sidekick Bass Lass? My impression is that until all this Hydra reveal poo poo happened he had not yet been in-world-retconned.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

That was the Smuggler, Conrad Josten. EDIT: I see where the confusion comes from:

quote:

Years later, his body was taken by Baron Zemo, manipulated like a puppet on strings to serve as a member of his team as he confronted the new Thunderbolts over the life of their member Photon. During the battle between the two teams, Zemo revealed Blackout was merely a shell in which he kept the Smuggler trapped. This had the desired effect of turning his brother, Atlas against his team, and Zemo gained the upper hand.

Also the original Blackout's name was Marcus Daniels, according to Wikipedia, so I have no idea who Bob there is supposed to be.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'll admit I don't quite understand the full Nazi Cap story but what about all the thought bubbles Cap has had over the decades? Don't they contradict him being a man who works for Hydra?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lobok posted:

I'll admit I don't quite understand the full Nazi Cap story but what about all the thought bubbles Cap has had over the decades? Don't they contradict him being a man who works for Hydra?

Once you break the 4th wall there's going to be lots of stuff that doesn't make sense.

Cap was always Hydra, but Cap always being Hydra was only recently cosmic cubed into reality.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Basically every major character retcon every has to ignore thought bubbles. Maxwell Lord Being Secretly Evil Forever or whatever literally can't work when you see what he is thinking.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Maxwell Lord was just using his powers to control what the reader read, thus fooling them into believing he was a good guy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

Basically every major character retcon every has to ignore thought bubbles. Maxwell Lord Being Secretly Evil Forever or whatever literally can't work when you see what he is thinking.

Hm, seems kinda silly then. "At last, we'll reveal this character's TRUE innermost thoughts! Kindly ignore all their other innermost thoughts, please."

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Come to think of it I think there was a bit in the The Oath that implies that there's some fracture point where the "old" Steve Rogers is supplanted by the "new" Steve Rogers and is a seperate guy:

quote:

See, that’s the other truth. Like I told you before, I’m not the man you think I am. But everthing he ever did, every memory, every moment-- I carry it inside me.

I know every thought he ever had about you, for instance.

This is followed by about a page of Hydra Cap analyzing and giving commentary on Non-Hydra Cap and Tony's relationship in a way that heavily suggests that the actual published adventures of Captain America up to this point are still, in some way, in continuity.

Which is a not entirely satisfying continuity bandaid and maybe supports E&C's idea that Nick Spencer might be kind of hazy on the precise mechanics of the story he's telling, because I don't really recall seeing it explained quite that way anywhere else.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Archyduke posted:

Come to think of it I think there was a bit in the The Oath that implies that there's some fracture point where the "old" Steve Rogers is supplanted by the "new" Steve Rogers and is a seperate guy:

This is followed by about a page of Hydra Cap analyzing and giving commentary on Non-Hydra Cap and Tony's relationship in a way that heavily suggests that the actual published adventures of Captain America up to this point are still, in some way, in continuity.

Which is a not entirely satisfying continuity bandaid and maybe supports E&C's idea that Nick Spencer might be kind of hazy on the precise mechanics of the story he's telling, because I don't really recall seeing it explained quite that way anywhere else.

I believe that Steve is under the impression that Kobik fixed him and put him back the way used to be, which is not the case she just altered him to think he used to be that way. Everything else that happened over the years still happened the same way and wasn't Hydra during that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

That was the Smuggler, Conrad Josten. EDIT: I see where the confusion comes from:

Also the original Blackout's name was Marcus Daniels, according to Wikipedia, so I have no idea who Bob there is supposed to be.

In Avenger's Pleasant Hill all the bad guys were brainwashed into folksy, simple-minded, small town people. The Fixer thought he was a car mechanic until Zemo restored his identity. Since then Zemo has gathered his Ex-Pleasant Hill buddies (Graviton and Nitro) for this attack on New York. When Zemo said "Bob or should I say Blackout" it was a callback to their time together in Pleasant Hill i.e. Bob the Landscape Artist.

• Locked thread