Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiSnake
Jul 1, 2010
Called it. They did a great job setting up this episode for Jack and Ashi's redemption.

I was expecting the sword to be right there in front of Jack. But I can't wait to see how Jack gets the sword back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Rhonne posted:

So what was that thing that told Ashi where to find Jack? The one after she left the bar.

Yeah based on context I assume it's someone from a previous episode but she's the only one I don't recognize.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Man guys, this show is so good.

Next week's episode is gonna be goddamn incredible, I can feel it.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

PhazonLink posted:

What part of magic scar tissue armor dont you get.

The part where she's pretty much streaking the entire time. To me, it came off as an impractical and needless design decision that seemed gratuitous. It just made me :rolleyes: at it. But then again I can kinda see what they were going for, since Ashi was bound to get a non-evil costume design and they needed a reason for her to get new clothes, but maybe she could've just gotten some cool raver clothes and ditch the Aku duds?

Eh, that reason and the fact that green horseman wasn't that impressive kinda made me fall flat on this episode, but I'll be looking forward to seeing the one where they begin looking for Jack's sword.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Man guys, this show is so good.

Next week's episode is gonna be goddamn incredible, I can feel it.

ashi is gonna fight those guys for hours and then they'll finally get the upperhand and then bam jack with sword will save her

i'm gonna loving die when it happens, from bliss

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I just figured the coal or ash or whatever was magic and formed a skintight goo bodysuit or something. The fact that loving scraping yourself with rocks for hours in water is what it took to get it off kinda made it seem that way.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fabricated posted:

I just figured the coal or ash or whatever was magic and formed a skintight goo bodysuit or something. The fact that loving scraping yourself with rocks for hours in water is what it took to get it off kinda made it seem that way.
Considering all the talk about "taking the darkness into yourself" I'm guessing this is the case.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

From the Sah-Moo-Rai's monologue.
e: It looks bad where I stitched it together, I'll just make an svg later instead.

Poniard fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 23, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I love how there was an old-fashioned phone booth sitting right there on the boat just to make the scene funnier.

And is it me, or was half the episode basically Phil LaMarr and Kevin Michael Richardson doing different voices?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Fabricated posted:

Yeah I doubt that was regular ash, what with the fact that it didn't come off in the rain or when they swam.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I mean, this plot point is weird as gently caress and I'm not really eager to stick up for it, but Aku is literally made of primordial goo. It's probably smoldering hot Aku Material™

I also thought Scaramouche's scenes were a little gratuitous and they took me out of it a little. There's being talkative and then there's half of your lines in this episode are just mugging to the audience.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 23, 2017

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Dude scatted all the way down the side of that hill he got kicked off of, he can mug all he wants.

Episode was good. With the way Ashi emphasized the good Jack'd done over the course of his battles against Aku, I'm expecting the big final conflict will be Jack having the opportunity to either go back in time and defeat Aku when he was supposed to, undoing Aku but also everyone he'd met, or else accept the current timeline and try to rebuild post-Aku. He might've beaten the green samurai representing the crushing sense of failure and dishonor but Blue Jack might come around to agitate for completing his original mission.

I really liked the nostalgic journey stuff since it really has been years, so it was fun to be reminded of those old episodes, and hopefully if there's a final battle with a big army of old allies there's more to come.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, I guess the big things to expect this point forward are:

- Get sword
- Meet up with Scotsman
- Maybe a confrontation with the High Priestess?
- Scaramouch reveals the sword loss
- Probably a big battle with all the returning characters

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Things I didn't expect to see on Samurai Jack.
A talking dickhead
A naked baby girl.

nerdman42 posted:

Yeah, I guess the big things to expect this point forward are:

- Get sword
- Meet up with Scotsman
- Maybe a confrontation with the High Priestess?
- Scaramouch reveals the sword loss
- Probably a big battle with all the returning characters

Was thinking the same, 4 episodes left to wrap up getting the sword > meeting the worst mother ever > scaramouch saying jack has been without his sword for ages right as jack with sword arrives > the ending.

Anything else still left to wrap up?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Oh, one thing I almost missed: When the ghost samurai is standing behind jack with their sword drawn, they're acting as his "second," the one who beheads the person committing seppuku after they disembowel themselves.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Things I didn't expect to see on Samurai Jack.
A talking dickhead
A naked baby girl.

Was thinking the same, 4 episodes left to wrap up getting the sword > meeting the worst mother ever > scaramouch saying jack has been without his sword for ages right as jack with sword arrives > the ending.

Anything else still left to wrap up?

Something involving the Guardian? Unless that was hand-waived when Aku said he destroyed ALL the portals.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxEUREO_UdI

Episode preview for those interested

Jack must Meditate to retrieve the sword and Ashi must fight an army of zombie soldiers come to kill Jack

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hoooo man, I was afraid the series was losing momentum and I am definitely not afraid of that anymore. That was incredible, if kinda hastily paced.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Onmi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxEUREO_UdI

Episode preview for those interested

Jack must Meditate to retrieve the sword and Ashi must fight an army of zombie soldiers come to kill Jack

They might not be zombies, they might just be really ugly.

Ashi's gonna kick the poo poo out of them either way though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I dunno, the penis joke felt out of place. They've been good about the higher rating stuff still fitting the series, like Sah-moo-rai saying sob came as off as perfectly natural.

I think it's the delivery, a long pause where he practically looks at the audience and winks. Had it been a more natural part of the exchange where he calls the guy a dickhead or something, it probably wouldn't have stuck out so badly.

Still a really good episode.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

I dunno, the penis joke felt out of place. They've been good about the higher rating stuff still fitting the series, like Sah-moo-rai saying sob came as off as perfectly natural.

I think it's the delivery, a long pause where he practically looks at the audience and winks. Had it been a more natural part of the exchange where he calls the guy a dickhead or something, it probably wouldn't have stuck out so badly.

Still a really good episode.

That's the point though. It seems like they've been careful about their new rating so far and avoiding anything that would be "gratuitous" for five episodes. Then suddenly out of the blue, the moment your guard is down you get this. Yeah it's jarring but that's why it's hilarious. I don't think a single person could have seen this coming. I suspect we won't get a moment like this in the last few episodes, so now is the perfect time to make this kind of joke too before we go into the final episodes.

It's really a great bit of levity right before things get REALLY serious. It's perfect placement.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 23, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Pretty good chance when Jack is alone getting the sword the other 4 ghost samurai show up for whatever reason.

In the bar, what was the guy supposed to be yelling about "I USED TO GO TO THE BATHROOM NOW I GO TO THE" .. ??

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 23, 2017

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Pretty good chance when Jack is alone getting the sword the other 4 ghost samurai show up for whatever reason.

In the bar, what was the guy supposed to be yelling about "I USED TO GO TO THE BATHROOM NOW I GO TO THE" .. ??

"I USED TO GO TO THE BATHROOM NOW I GO IN A BAG!"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
To quote an old episode:

"You have won many victories, rekindling hope in the hearts of those you have protected. Each sends their blessing. Each blessing, a stone to fortify this land. Your castle is strong my son. Your allies are many. Wield what lies within, and reclaim what is yours. Break the siege of darkness."

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

NewMars posted:

Oh, one thing I almost missed: When the ghost samurai is standing behind jack with their sword drawn, they're acting as his "second," the one who beheads the person committing seppuku after they disembowel themselves.

correction: the one who beheads you if you fail at your task (of suicide). If you fail or stop for whatever reason, your bro beheads you, and your honour is retained

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I like how the helmet straps of the aamurai end in a noose.
Thats cool.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

correction: the one who beheads you if you fail at your task (of suicide). If you fail or stop for whatever reason, your bro beheads you, and your honour is retained

No, he was right.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

mycot posted:

Yeah based on context I assume it's someone from a previous episode but she's the only one I don't recognize.

I'm betting it's Kuni, the little girl from the haunted house episode.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

NewMars posted:

That was a really nice touch (plus the Shinto spirit shrines), I agree. Samurai Jack is great about small details. :allears:

Speaking of which, was the Scotsman ghost gag last episode supposed to foreshadow that Jack's ghosts were in fact real and not just psychological hallucinations?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I mean, not really. It's mainly as an act of mercy by the commanding feudal lord to the guy doing seppuku so they don't have to keep writhing indefinitely in pain. It's like, "you did the ritual. We're satisfied, go ahead and end his pain." More vindictive officials might draw out the suffering, though.

It's about Bushido ethics with being able to keep your composure in accepting extreme pain and literal death in front of a witness, not necessarily succeeding in killing yourself (that's what the second is for), etc.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 23, 2017

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Poor scatting robot can't catch a break, baby.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Having finally watched it just now:

-Kenney is totally going to reveal that "talking penis" line was an ad-lib that got thrown in.
-Jesus Christ Ashi's mom :stonk:
-...I didn't even pick up on the implication that the Daughters were wearing suits made of ashes of Aku until it came up in here. Guess that might explain how Ashi was able to escape from her bonds in the last episode (I.E. enhanced strength)?
-Was whoever pointed Ashi to the graveyard also a cameo from someone Jack had saved? Their silhouette looked familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Poniard posted:

From the Sah-Moo-Rai's monologue.
e: It looks bad where I stitched it together, I'll just make an svg later instead.

Using this as a wallpaper now thanks.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

What part of magic scar tissue armor dont you get.

Also good think Scatman floats, hopping on the ocean floor would take like 50 years.

Fifty years have passed, but Scaramouch's style is ageless baby!

Gotta get back, back to Aku.

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

I'm surprised at how gently Ashi's mom pushed her into the pit of burning evil coal.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
With how that ghost was dispatched it seems like it might not reappear again. Seemed kinda anticlimactic, unless it was actually a physical manifestation of Jack's guilt. Guessing those tombstones are related to his ancestors in one way or another

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I like that Ashi's hair has a yang/mikitama shape right now.

(My knowledge of mikitama comes from half remembering the faces they made as I used them to buff demons in Shin Megami Tensei games, so I couldn't tell you what significance the changing of it's alignment would mean :v: )

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

With how that ghost was dispatched it seems like it might not reappear again. Seemed kinda anticlimactic, unless it was actually a physical manifestation of Jack's guilt.

Yeah it was definitely the manifestation of his failure, and it always shadowed him as the final option to end the horror he sees and feels he causes to those around him.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

I like that Ashi's hair has a yang/mikitama shape right now.

(My knowledge of mikitama comes from half remembering the faces they made as I used them to buff demons in Shin Megami Tensei games, so I couldn't tell you what significance the changing of it's alignment would mean :v: )

i don't think it's an intentional allusion to mitamas, but if it was it's almost certainly meant to be changing from the angry one to the cheerful one

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

ZixTheYeti posted:

I'm betting it's Kuni, the little girl from the haunted house episode.

There's no way she'd still be a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
And there it is, the last nail in the coffin of this artistically bankrupt cash grab. An entire episode of fan service of almost every imaginable flavor. At least the show isn't pretending to be anything else now.

What was the loving point of any of this episode?! The Scotsman's slut shaming his daughters already established "continuity" for the fanboy jerkoffs that need to obsessively update the wikia pages. But now let's just roll out all these old designs to remind the fans that they get their payoff for remaining corpulent babies.

Let's remind ourselves again that Ashi was abused. And then let's juxtaposed that with a long bathing sequence and a loving Tinkerbell fetish costume. And all of this, just for Jack, the projection-character-extraordinarily to be reminded that he's special.

I hate nostalgia.

• Locked thread