Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
And it would look even better if you took your pictures under better light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Painted up my first Infinity model

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011

Ilor posted:

And it would look even better if you took your pictures under better light.

Yeah i know. I've never really took photos of my minis before, and that was literally just me messing around with a sheet of paper and my phone camera at 1am this morning. Im going to mess around later today and see if i can get a few better pictures

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

lorddazron posted:

So I've just started painting again after a long hiatus.

First new miniature for 8 years. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

It's looking very clean! When the base is as large as they are on the Stormcast I like using one or two glass tufts to tie things together.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Yeast posted:

I'm not loving up the needle, but the lack of a needle guard on the 105 XTREME just means I can't back flow it.

The airbrush itself is fine for most stuff.

If you hold a clump of paper towel over the needle, you can back flow pretty easily I've found.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Yeast posted:

drat, Yeast, that looks fantastic!

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

lorddazron posted:

So I've just started painting again after a long hiatus.

First new miniature for 8 years. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

This looks rad. One thing I would change is to put your basing paint on thicker for a better crackle, but that's about it.

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011

Miles O'Brian posted:

This looks rad. One thing I would change is to put your basing paint on thicker for a better crackle, but that's about it.

Ah thanks for the comments. It was just a temporary solution and im going to rebase later using the more traditional sand and pva method (finding somewhere to buy static grass at a reasonable price on a sunday is ridiculous!). Im not a huge fan of the basing paint. Its a cool effect but it doesnt have enough depth for me. Just thought i'd give it a shot as it was in the starter set i bought.

I did however manage to find a store which stocks pretty much the full range of vallejo game and model colour. Whats the thoughts on these? As good as gw or better? Im planning on going back next weekend and pick some up, as they are half the price of gw and i can imagine the dropper bottles mean a lot less waste!

If anyone lives in the north east of england like me, check out Boyes. Its pretty much universally known as a tat store but honestly i was massively shocked to see they stock gw and vallejo products. Last place id ever expect it. Strangely enough they are lumped in with the garden stuff.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hey guys. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any good iridescent or color shifting airbrush paints?

I just got Alarielle for my birthday, and I want to paint the beetle in a way where it is black, but has a purple or blue shine to it, similar to real life beetles.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I bought these medieval dudes 6 months before my kid was born. it's the first complete force I've finished since I bailed on 40k in'09, It took 2 years finish.

the pic is poo poo, I'll get some better ones next week at Little Wars.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

jadebullet posted:

Hey guys. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any good iridescent or color shifting airbrush paints?

I just got Alarielle for my birthday, and I want to paint the beetle in a way where it is black, but has a purple or blue shine to it, similar to real life beetles.

I would paint it with a faintly metallic paint, then follow Lord Duncan's youtube video.

Edit: Whatever you do, test the approach on some plastic spoons. That is not a model you want to experiment on.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 23, 2017

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Spaz Stix makes some pretty cool paints for this. Here's a video showing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FsxJwSDx4g.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Seeing some good stuff here recently, keep it up!

As a heads up, Oath Season 7 is about a week away from ending, and Season 8 is about to start so is an ideal jumping on point if you've been curious about oathing and not getting around to it - The new thread's here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818112

Go forth and paint!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

DiHK posted:

I bought these medieval dudes 6 months before my kid was born. it's the first complete force I've finished since I bailed on 40k in'09, It took 2 years finish.

the pic is poo poo, I'll get some better ones next week at Little Wars.

saga is cool, vikings are cool, these guys are loving cool, you are cool

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hey LazyAngel, I was looking through old posts and am curious what paints you used on those super shiny scourge. Just a metallic base and some washes? Or did you use tinted metallics?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Do any of you have experience of using gloss Agrax over metallic paint? GW reckon it stops the loss of shininess you get with traditional washes, but I have heard mixed reviews.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Do any of you have experience of using gloss Agrax over metallic paint? GW reckon it stops the loss of shininess you get with traditional washes, but I have heard mixed reviews.

I don't have the agrax, but I've used the gloss seraphim sepia on my gold and it works nicely, kept the metal nice and shiny. See my Celestine here:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

it will give you an extremely glossy finish.

I use Gloss Washes constantly now, but because of the way they go into crevasses without staining (mostly) the upper surfaces. Follow it with a matte varnish, and you save a *heap* of time.

But again, to answer your question, it will look extremely shiny if you don't then hit it with some sort of matte or satin coat.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Yeast posted:

Hell yeah, love the orange.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Skeletons: the image dump.
Finished up the squads and tomb king I was working on. Took some pictures today.

The main man.

Muscle

Crew of goons

Squad goals.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Awesome awesome.

Great colours all round.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Thanks for the replies.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Horace-Noah posted:

Skeletons: the image dump.
Finished up the squads and tomb king I was working on. Took some pictures today.

The main man.

Muscle

Crew of goons

Squad goals.

Tomb Kings are the loving best and the fact that people are still doing them warms my bones. Your dudes are rad keep that poo poo up.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I have used the gloss washes over metal before, and it works pretty well. I mainly use it because the shinyness helps me make sure I haven't forgotten to put some wash on my model though.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Thanks for the replies.

All my metallics on those skeletons I posted are either reikland flesh gloss or nuln oil gloss. I think they're worth their weight in gold tbh. Super impressed with them.

Edit-
drat guys, thanks for the nice words on them. Who says the internet is a scary place?

Horace-Noah fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 24, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Finally bought an Ultrasonic cleaner, been putting it off for ages.

Look at all the hidden bullshit that came out of this 'clean' airbrush.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I need to clean my airbrush. It's relatively new but learner maintenance has resulted in it being pretty dirty inside I suspect, despite me using way too much cleaner to blow it out between colours and even between models using the same colour. What's the best way to clean out the whole thing and try to get it back close to new?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JBP posted:

I need to clean my airbrush. It's relatively new but learner maintenance has resulted in it being pretty dirty inside I suspect, despite me using way too much cleaner to blow it out between colours and even between models using the same colour. What's the best way to clean out the whole thing and try to get it back close to new?

I use this horrible poo poo: https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-87089-Airbrush-Cleaner-250ml/dp/B000OT0GJM

It's a solvent based cleaner, but a bath of that with your various disassembled components and it'll eat away any paint that in there.

n.b. - if your Airbrush has rubber gaskets, remove them before going in to this. Then with a Q-Tip and some old brushes I basically just give it a good clean, and then rinse with water, re-lube all the moving components and threads, and you're good to go.

I bought the ultrasonic cleaner as a way to avoid the solvent cleaners long term.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some solid painting and awesome minis on this page.

I think my searching has given me a potential candidate...
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=resin-master-%252d-ariniel~hfmaster-e100&category=fantasy-%26%0D%0Asteampunk~%2Anew-fantasy%2A

He's probably as close to what I'm after as I'm ever going to get!

Also, I'm in love with this bugger and kind of want him in my collection.
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=red-box-%252d-hogsquasher-the-troll-%28resin%29~rbg300&category=artemis-blacks~%2Anew-arrivals%2A :v:

Edit: Show my image links SA, drat you! :argh:

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 24, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LazyAngel posted:

If you hold a clump of paper towel over the needle, you can back flow pretty easily I've found.

You can do it with your finger as well. You just have to suck up the needle stabbing into your finger for a second until it pulls back under the cowl.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting my display board work so far:

Zuul the Cat posted:

I started work on my Necron Tomb, being painted up in the scheme of the Nihilakh Dynasty. This as far as I got because I also started working on my Tartaros Terminators (while I still have 18 Skitarii Vanguard waiting in line to finish, oh god).

Still have tons of work to go on it.

Speaking of my Terminators, what type of magnets should I be using to magnetize them? For the heavy weapon dude, I want to be able to swap between the Reaper Autocannon and the Heavy Flamer. I was looking on Amazon for the magnets, but i'm not sure what size I'd need.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zuul the Cat posted:

Cross posting my display board work so far:

Speaking of my Terminators, what type of magnets should I be using to magnetize them? For the heavy weapon dude, I want to be able to swap between the Reaper Autocannon and the Heavy Flamer. I was looking on Amazon for the magnets, but i'm not sure what size I'd need.

You can find rare-earth/Neodymium magnets on Ebay or places like K&J Magnetics. Here's a general list of magnet applications.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

You can find rare-earth/Neodymium magnets on Ebay or places like K&J Magnetics. Here's a general list of magnet applications.

Great guide! Just ordered some. Thanks!

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

lorddazron posted:

... vallejo game and model colour. Whats the thoughts on these? As good as gw or better?

Well, there's a lot of people who swear by both, and some even use a combination of many different brands to get exactly what they want. I have made the switch to Vallejo and am very happy about it. You're right, that the dropper bottles mean less waste, at least that's my experience. Also, they make it much easier to mix and blend colors. Of course, if you love GW paints you could always just buy dropper bottles and transfer them over :) Anyway, all that to say I personally like them more, and it's worth picking some up to see if you do as well.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

berzerkmonkey posted:

You can do it with your finger as well. You just have to suck up the needle stabbing into your finger for a second until it pulls back under the cowl.

I would think this might get oil on the tip though. Wouldn't that create some problems?

Not saying pizza grease etc, just oils and particles on your hands

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Yeast posted:

Finally bought an Ultrasonic cleaner, been putting it off for ages.

Look at all the hidden bullshit that came out of this 'clean' airbrush.

It looks like you still have the valve on there, that has a _tiny_ little rubber o-ring in it. I didn't realise this and left mine in solvent and hosed it. It's a £2 part but it was really frustrating waiting for it to arrive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zuul the Cat posted:

As long as you get the proper strong neodymium rare earth magnets like berzerkmonkey was talking about, strength won't be an issue. Even the smallest ones will be able to hold up a plastic arm or gun, unless you're talking about like, a hive tyrant wing, then you might need a slightly larger magnet. (still tiny)

For the most part the issue is how much room you have. Smaller magnets are easier to drill a cavity to fit without accidentally mangling your miniature, but smaller magnets are also harder to manipulate (and potentially dangerous if swallowed or some poo poo)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I like to think that the dwindling supply of rare earth magnets is due to Warhams.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I horde rare earth magnets right next to my hard drives full of bit coins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Maybe if they'd called them Common Earth Magnets we'd have more of them...