Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of cybernetics, I found this today, and realized how cool the design from Ghost in the Shell actually was.

https://vitalybulgarov.com/ghost-in-the-shell/

It's a bit spoilery, but basically the difference between the original inner skeleton for the Major vs the approved version is pretty damned big. The original was more of a "bio-human" version with metal bones, etc. The approved version is WAY more of a "Quit loving thinking like a human and just make a body, we don't need bones, we just need a frame for an android!".

It's extremely subtle, sort of, since we only see it for a brief bit in the beginning, but I really love how the design went from some weird built up human skeleton to the overall "Function over form" look they ended up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solice Kirsk posted:

True, but most men wouldn't have too much trouble fighting a 13 year old girl. Even if she was left handed. Honestly, I think that's where the book and the show do a great job. Arya isn't gonna stand toe-to-toe with any decent fighters, but her various mentors and experiences will carry her past most problems.

She's still gonna die with Needle in her hand though. Otherwise all that one foreshadowing line the first book would be wasted. Also still waiting for Tyrion to kick out another bad rear end flip.

The real issue with Arya is that GRRM continued the old trope of "small people need small weapons of course!!" when it infact accentuates their limitations even further. Arya needed a more rapier style sword to make up for that lack of reach, no the opposite. I get its not a medieval style sword but whatever.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Memento posted:

Yeah it's just "cybernetic arm so what". Shows how much different the idea of "normal" in post apocalypse New South Wales is from what we expect today.

Yes. Plus even if it's still "abnormal" that doesn't mean it'd be commented upon.

The arm isn't subtle. The fact that the movie doesn't zoom in on it and have a character say "Look, it's a robot arm! She has that arm because of *giant exposition dump here*." is subtle.

The characters see it. They're aware of it. They don't comment on it. In real life when I see somebody with a prosthetic limb I see it, I'm aware of it, and I don't comment on it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

rydiafan posted:

Yes. Plus even if it's still "abnormal" that doesn't mean it'd be commented upon.

The arm isn't subtle. The fact that the movie doesn't zoom in on it and have a character say "Look, it's a robot arm! She has that arm because of *giant exposition dump here*." is subtle.

The characters see it. They're aware of it. They don't comment on it. In real life when I see somebody with a prosthetic limb I see it, I'm aware of it, and I don't comment on it.

If Max had said, "what's with the arm?" Furiosa's response would have been to punch him in the face with it. I just assume that actually happened off-screen at some point.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

rydiafan posted:

Yeah, the "subtle" thing is that it's not treated as either a plot device or a character-defining trait, whereas in most movies it would be.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aleph Null posted:

If Max had said, "what's with the arm?"

Max wasn't real big on small talk or bonding moments. He never even tells Furiosa his name until the very end of the movie and even then she was unconscious at the time. :v:

Fun fact: Tom Hardy was a moody bitch during the filming and he just didn't get along with George Miller or Charlize Theron. Hardy and Theron's stunt doubles, on the other hand, got along so well they ended up getting married after filming. :v:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

TBH the stunt crew are the real stars of the movie because GOD drat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Max wasn't real big on small talk or bonding moments. He never even tells Furiosa his name until the very end of the movie and even then she was unconscious at the time. :v:

Fun fact: Tom Hardy was a moody bitch during the filming and he just didn't get along with George Miller or Charlize Theron. Hardy and Theron's stunt doubles, on the other hand, got along so well they ended up getting married after filming. :v:

Didn't Tom Hardy complain about how the movie was going to be a piece of poo poo then apologize for being a baby when it turned out to be amazing or did that not really happen

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
he did in fact apologize to george miller http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/tom-hardy-mad-max-apology

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

In the same vein, although it wasn't subtle at all, I loved Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them for the fact that the main character is so very obviously (somewhat autistic), but like Furiosa's cybernetic arm, it's just a characteristic of the main character. Since I started working with children with autism, adhd and other (developmental) disorders, it's been the first film I saw where one of the main characters was obviously affected but it wasn't made a big deal of. Normally when the main character has autism or whatever it's a focal point, but in that movie it was just... whatever... there. It wasn't exaggerated or mocked or made an issue. It was something I could watch with my parents and say: "yeah, that's sort of the kind of kids I work with, except in real life it's of course a lot more complicated than that because it has repercussions on how you approach the material etc."

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong and there's plenty of examples that I just missed, but I loved having a non-neurotypical (for lack of a better term) protagonist without it being shoved in your face like "HE'S DIFFERENT THAN YOU, ISN'T THAT WEIRD/WACKY/A PLOT POINT?!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Isn't the top level literally like 50-50 left and right-handed? That's what my fencer friend told me anyway.

Then why are you smiling?

Because I know something you don't know.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Arcsquad12 posted:

Then why are you smiling?

Because I know something you don't know.

is this some kinda mensur injoke?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

The man in black is you.

The man leaping over you is the joke.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Powaqoatse posted:

is this some kinda mensur injoke?

His name is Innigo Montoya

edit: beaten!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ohhh

sorry i was born in a time/country/poverty so i didnt see it until i downloaded it around 2003

its pretty good imo

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Watched Jurassic Park for the first time in a long time tonight, and when Dodgson gets out of the cab to meet Nedry he leaves without paying the driver. And not only does the driver come around to help him out of the cab and to get his fare, when he realizes he's been stiffed there's about a half second where he's still on camera and mad dogging the poo poo out of Dodgson.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Watched Jurassic Park for the first time in a long time tonight, and when Dodgson gets out of the cab to meet Nedry he leaves without paying the driver. And not only does the driver come around to help him out of the cab and to get his fare, when he realizes he's been stiffed there's about a half second where he's still on camera and mad dogging the poo poo out of Dodgson.

Another nice one from Jurassic Park: the first hint we see of Hammond is when his helicopter arrives, covering the paleontological dig with dust, potentially damaging their work, and causing kind of a chaotic mess in general. This all acts as a solid metaphor for his entire approach to Jurassic Park itself, where his enthusiasm, resources, and lack of foresight lead to a whole mess of messes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

This was my favorite JP thing upon rewatching it as an adult.

quote:

I could just get you two to sign off on the park - - you know, give a wee testimonial - - I could get back on schedule - - (he Americanizes his pronunciation) - -schedule.

That's the good poo poo when you've studied English.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's a great movie for little moments like these. A few more I noticed/forgot about-

-Hammond said he brought his grandkids over to see how "his target audience" would like the park, but in an earlier scene they talk about how Hammond had to miss an investor meeting because his wife was going through a divorce...implying that the kids were more likely there to shield them from the divorce proceedings.

-When they're eating lunch after seeing the raptor paddock, one of the pictures in the background shows what looks like the visitors center that ends up being in Jurassic World.

-Grant on the helicopter finding a way to make his seatbelt work with two "female" belt clips.

-Muldoon dying to the same raptor side attack Grant described to scare the kid at the Montana dig.

-Nedry testing the shaving cream transport can and then putting the shaving cream on a piece of pie a la whipped cream. Not a metaphor or anything, I just think it's a really funny visual gag.

A lot of these have probably been mentioned in this thread already but gently caress it, this movie is so good.

Mierenneuker posted:

This was my favorite JP thing upon rewatching it as an adult.

That's the good poo poo when you've studied English.

We were watching it on Netflix with the subtitles on, and the caption for his first line was preceded by [Scottish Brogue], which I thought was a really funny (and necessary!) thing to include.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've got one for Jurassic World. During the fight between Rexy and Indominus, when Blue arrives to turn the tide, the musical sting is actually a riff on The Lost Wirld's theme song.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
When the computer screen is projected on the raptor's face (something that doesn't actually happen in real life) the projection is just a series of letters representing the proteins that make up DNA.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Pook Good Mook posted:

When the computer screen is projected on the raptor's face (something that doesn't actually happen in real life) the projection is just a series of letters representing the proteins that make up DNA.

Lawyer: Are they... auto...erotic?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Decrepus posted:

Lawyer: Are they... auto...erotic?

Hammond also makes a comment about how the music in the video presentation is a placeholder, and how the park plans to have its own fanfare. Then they get John Williams to score the movie spare no expense.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Also Malcom spends the early part of the movie alpha male-ing Grant every chance he can get, but when Grant does something alpha male-esque in the animal sense (staring down the T-Rex and getting it to run off after a road flare) Malcom immediately tries to do it too and gets messed up for it.

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Apr 23, 2017

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite moments in Avengers : Age of Ultron is when Vision suits up, and when he sees Thor with a cape, he grows one as well, and Thor has this "Hmm, a man of style!" expression that is just magical.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

One of my favorite moments in Avengers : Age of Ultron is when Vision suits up, and when he sees Thor with a cape, he grows one as well, and Thor has this "Hmm, a man of style!" expression that is just magical.

For as boring as the Thor movies can be, Chris Hemsworth really seems to enjoy the role.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Because the star wars prequels are so dense and so much is going on, there are tons of little incidental moments in the background. In Revenge of the Sith, when Obi-Wan is chasing down grievous, you can see a clone trooper sucker punch a Droid and keep running.
This is then referenced in the pretty terrible Clone Wars pilot movie when a clone rushes up to punch a Droid and promptly breaks his hand.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

For as boring as the Thor movies can be, Chris Hemsworth really seems to enjoy the role.

I'll always love the first one for "We drank, we fought. He did his ancestors proud!" *Dumps elderly scientists unconscious body on the couch* :3:

Boston pee party
Oct 14, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Also Malcom spends the early part of the movie alpha male-ing Grant every chance he can get, but when Grant does something alpha male-esque in the animal sense (staring down the T-Rex and getting it to run off after a road flare) Malcom immediately tries to do it too and gets messed up for it.

My favorite example of this comes early on, when the scientists are walking through the visitors' center. Grant remarks "I think we're out of a job," and Malcolm, who has been walking a few paces back, immediately dashes up behind the others just to lean in and go, "don't you mean extinct? :haw:" It's great because he's clearly been waiting to use that line, since Malcolm is exactly the sort of douchebag who would come up with it on the ride over and then just hold it in for the perfect moment.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A goofy bit from this week's Supergirl was a scene of Kara baking and just taking a pan out of a hot oven with her bare hands.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just rewatching the scene from the Simpsons episode Hurricane Neddy where Ned has his famous breakdown, and I just noticed that when he is trying to calm himself, his true feelings are starting to leak out into his nonsense during the calm before the storm. "OK, Ned, they did their best Shoddily-iddly-oodly-doodly.... Just stay calm hostility-iddly-iddlyoodly...*the lens from his glasses falls out and smashes on the ground* Aww HELL DIDDLY DING DONG CRAP!"

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 12:19 on Apr 26, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I've just ordered Reefer Madness: The Musical online as I liked what I've seen of the songs, but haven't ever seen the whole thing outside of Paw's review of it. I quite like how they take the old stereotypes of druggies/dealers (Jack The Pushy Dealer, his wife the Dependant, Sally the Whore, and the Tweaker) and then expand upon it in amusing ways, like during the reprise of "The Stuff" where Jack's wife finally has enough of him after the death of the other two and she murders him with a garden hoe. Also the fact that in the song "Murder", the propagandist politician has all the parents literally baying for blood, where earlier they are yelling at the screen trying to stop Jimmy smoking weed, all of a sudden when Jack's fighting the Tweaker they change their tunes and start rooting for Jack without realising it, calling for him to "Murder him, Murder him!" as part of the chorus. Between that and the initial song calling their children Hooligans and Whores, the propagandist has successfully made an entire generation of parents terrified of their own children. Looking forward to the DVD arriving so that I can see this imagery more in context and see how things turn out (besides badly for everyone :P)

It's absolutely one of my favorite movies/musicals. The smirk that Alan Cumming gives (god his gimmick is amazing with the constant recurring roles) at the end as the town is burning everything in the bonfire is just so devilish and makes you grasp the whole point so well.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

A cunning stunt posted:

My favorite example of this comes early on, when the scientists are walking through the visitors' center. Grant remarks "I think we're out of a job," and Malcolm, who has been walking a few paces back, immediately dashes up behind the others just to lean in and go, "don't you mean extinct? :haw:" It's great because he's clearly been waiting to use that line, since Malcolm is exactly the sort of douchebag who would come up with it on the ride over and then just hold it in for the perfect moment.

That's because Speilberg showed the CGI tests of the T-Rex to the visual effects model guy and told him "I think you're out of a job" and the model maker replied "don't you mean extinct?" and Speilberg liked it so much he put it in the movie and kept the guy on as a visual effects supervisor etc.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Which is ironic because part of why that film has aged so well was its incredibly smart uses of practical effects. Th scene where the T-Rex breaks out of its paddock still looks great.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ferrule posted:

That's because Speilberg showed the CGI tests of the T-Rex to the visual effects model guy and told him "I think you're out of a job" and the model maker replied "don't you mean extinct?" and Speilberg liked it so much he put it in the movie and kept the guy on as a visual effects supervisor etc.

That model guy was Phil Tippett, credited in the movie as "Dinosaur Supervisor".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not a film, and not really a "wow holy crap!" moment, but still subtle, and significant due to the medium. In one episode of Cowboy Bebop, spike crashed his swordfish on earth and needs to get it repaired. At the garage, spike calls up Faye to tell her what's going on, while the mechanic and his apprentice argue over how to fix the ship. What makes this scene stand out is how the two conversations are happening simultaneously. WRT anime, that is almost unheard of, but it adds a small level of believability that makes Bebop a cut Above other shows.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Phy posted:

That model guy was Phil Tippett, credited in the movie as "Dinosaur Supervisor".

You put that in your curriculum and every employer on Earth would hire you on the spot

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
All the glass in Deadwood is wavy and wrinkly, like you'd expect from the period.

I didn't notice it the first time I watched the show, probably because I still had an SD tv at the time. That pic is screen grab off my laptop, it looks cooler and is more noticeable on a bigger screen, and in other scenes.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Calaveron posted:

You put that in your curriculum and every employer on Earth would hire you on the spot

Content: I was watching Evil Dead II and I noticed for the first time that when the evil-made-flesh breaks into the cabin, the flowers next to Ash noticeably wilt.

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

He also did a poo poo-ton of stop motion work in other films such at the space chess scene on the Millennium Falcon in Star Wars, the AT-ATs in The Empire Strikes Back, ED209 in Robocop, the dragon in Dragonslayer, the bug battles in Starship Troopers, etc etc etc..

He also had an actual dinosaur named after him: Elaphrosaurus philtippettorum :3:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 06:06 on Apr 28, 2017