Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

not caring here posted:

totalling up like nearly a grand

What the crap did they want you to buy? A horse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Naked Bear posted:

Spur ride checklist:
  1. Weapons station cadre can't quite figure out the 249.

how the gently caress can you not figure out the 249? it's easy as gently caress

source: my dumb rear end carried one for 6 out of 8 years i was in

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Other than a stetson I can't think of anything else they might want you to buy and spurs are supposed to be bought by the sponsor. Knockoff tanker boots? No idea about any funny boots other than the ones tankers wear.

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

how the gently caress can you not figure out the 249? it's easy as gently caress

source: my dumb rear end carried one for 6 out of 8 years i was in

It is weird that it was in a spur ride because scouts don't use them, just 240's.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i can see having to buy tanker boots in 1CD, like say in a tank BN

1CD is its own brand of cav retardation

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
like even being on the same post as 1CD was terrible when Iwas in 4ID

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I must be a horrible armor officer because I don't know anything about the heavy side of the branch or any of the traditions and most of our training has been dismount focussed

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
eh your poo poo is more like mech infantry than anything, a different mindset. Armor officers generally I have no opinion of, they're inoffensive generally. there is just something about the horsehead I think that drives ppl crazy

like its 82nd of the Armored world but no one gives a gently caress

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
but to be fair tanks are way cooler than airborne imo

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
There's these odd looking boots with straps that are similar to a tanker boot but there's 2 or 3 straps and are a calf length boot. I dunno, I didnt buy that garbage. They were at least 150 by themselves. Then they wanted me to buy a a loving 400 dollar hat. Theres a few different types around but there were people who bought that expensive poo poo. And then unit PTs. And the ASU flair. And because of the push for 100% spur ride garbage good luck having a sponsor pay for it.

Screw buying that poo poo, I was dumb enough to do a Manchu mile so screw that spur ride poo poo too.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Being a tanker with a tanker BC owns bones because the old Friday road march is done driving down the road in your rig.

Outta the way crunchies! Hahahahaha that was only for like 3 months and then off to infantry stupidity and then off to scouts gently caress my life.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Mustang posted:

Other than a stetson I can't think of anything else they might want you to buy and spurs are supposed to be bought by the sponsor. Knockoff tanker boots? No idea about any funny boots other than the ones tankers wear.

It is weird that it was in a spur ride because scouts don't use them, just 240's.

i just don't get it

i was infantry for 4 years and a fueler for 4 more and a 249 was always part of my life

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
when i started out as cav we just shot 240s in OSUT. I didn't even fire as SAW until like I was in 5 years or so IDK

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

when i started out as cav we just shot 240s in OSUT. I didn't even fire as SAW until like I was in 5 years or so IDK

idk i first shot a saw in infantry osut in 2009 so maybe im just a babby since yall old af

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

There's a reason scouts only use 240's but I don't remember what that reason is.....

I think it's because since scouts are usually outnumbered and outgunned having more 240's might make the enemy think they're engaging a larger unit than they really are.

Something like that anyway. If we really wanted to we could have 6 240's throughout a 36 man platoon. Though we're always short personnel so it's more like low to mid 20's.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
You'll just need to increase the number of 240s if you're low on men to greater simulate being a larger force :)

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Mustang posted:

I think it's because since scouts are usually outnumbered and outgunned having more 240's might make the enemy think they're engaging a larger unit than they really are.

That is the stupidest army bullshit I've ever heard.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I just figured it was a holdover when 19ds mainly rolled around in M1025s but IDK

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I have no idea what the reason is, it's just something I heard someone say at some point. Regardless, scouts exclusively use 240s.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
why do scouts exist again?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Mustang posted:

I have no idea what the reason is, it's just something I heard someone say at some point. Regardless, scouts exclusively use 240s.

With so many goddamn gun teams, how the gently caress do you guys even maneuver?!

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Mike-o posted:

That is the stupidest army bullshit I've ever heard.

Vlad, do you hear the disproportionate quantity of American M249s shooting at us? It means they are the rapist type of soldier known for stealing the money of their conscripts and spending it on hats! Also, it means there are actually very few of them behind the M249s, so fix your bayonet comrade!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
The 249 was part of my training when I went through scout OSUT in '06, so who the gently caress knows what they're doing anymore.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

If you're just mowing down hordes of un-armored skinny dudes with flip flops in toyotas why wouldn't you want 249's? It's awesome for that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Because canister rounds are cooler

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

They make a version for the Mk 19 which is probably the coolest way I can think of to commit a bunch of war crimes quickly

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Full auto crew-served 40mm shotgun what loving doomsday scenario would that even be relevant and how did it get enough traction that some munitions plant somewhere actually made it possible

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
240s suck. the mk48 is way better.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Full auto crew-served 40mm shotgun what loving doomsday scenario would that even be relevant and how did it get enough traction that some munitions plant somewhere actually made it possible

Patrol surrounded by thousands strong angry mob comes to mind. But I guess an 1114 in low gear would get you outta there too.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Check the USArmyWTF page, looks like someone smeared poo poo all over a barracks at Fort Campbell.

https://tinyurl.com/ll92vml

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Icon Of Sin posted:

Check the USArmyWTF page, looks like someone smeared poo poo all over a barracks at Fort Campbell.

lol those are the old 4BCT barracks

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I hope it was a dude who just got out

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

TBeats posted:

I hope it was a dude who just got out

He squeezed out, of the army that is.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

yep, i mean its not like american forces are ever overrun anymore. the dudes at wanat or kamdesh wouldnt have any use for something like that i bet

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

lol

from that post's comment thread:

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

i was actually at wanat and the main issue with our mk 19s was the feed tray got shot on one and the gun shield on the other got blown up and the gun couldn't traverse anymore

the normal hedp poo poo was good up until then because it went further than 100m or whatever the flechette stops working at :shrug:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

i was actually at wanat

Like, during the thing?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

yeah :(

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Just needs SMDFTB somewhere on it, and then its perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

Just needs SMDFTB somewhere on it, and then its perfection.