Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Fauxtool posted:

ok which one of you was this?
http://imgur.com/gallery/HB99M

Well, it appears to be someone who's been to China.

So that rules out the entire D&D thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"Guys, this wasn't some poverty stricken city. They had Walmarts for Christ sake"
lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WarpedNaba posted:

Well, it appears to be someone who's been to China.

So that rules out the entire D&D thread.

is you a white male mate

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The Great Autismo! posted:

is you a white male mate

It's a sin that apparently I'll never atone for.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Baronjutter posted:

"Guys, this wasn't some poverty stricken city. They had Walmarts for Christ sake"
lol

He ended up in Guiyang so that's what, tier 3? He certainly got the Real China™ experience he was looking for.

lol fojar would love this nonsense ranking

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

big time bisexual posted:

He ended up in Guiyang so that's what, tier 3? He certainly got the Real China™ experience he was looking for.

lol fojar would love this nonsense ranking

He'd probably love it even more because that article he posted a while back (which was an interesting read thanks fojar! :thumbsup:)

addressed exactly why just building a poo poo ton of (unused) hotels, skyscrapers and apartments, and relying on a ton of government subsidy to drive growth is a terrible indicator of economic health.

I am not an economist, but I'm commenting anyway because it's funny to me that we see this bullshit literally a day or two after fojar posted that write-up.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Baronjutter posted:

lol

I've tried typing out how maybe Walmart in China is like the American trash tier fast food chains somehow manage to be fancy sit-down places that treat their customers properly but I just can't do it. I just can't imagine Walmart in China as having a different sort of customer than Walmart in the US. Thanks thread.

I picked up some "Guangdong style noodles" from the local "SE Asia" shop (Hmong) and didn't know what to do with them so I threw in some chicken base and veggies and some leftover chicken and a broken-english blog told me my instincts were right, but that I add some oyster sauce and maybe use shrimp/prawns instead of chicken meat. I should probably start asking the US born native-accent-minnesotan-Hmong cashier more questions like why do they have pickled cabbage that's not kimchi and do I eat it like kimchi? I've been eating it but it's like sauerkraut with beef tendons, green onions, and no radish or chili, so I'm confused. I though it was going to be something like a homemade kimchi rather than buying jars of kimchi from a white-people-store for way too much money, but it's not. I don't want to ferment this poo poo myself god damnit just give me an affordable source.

OTOH, fuckit, my best fish monger and "Asian distribution hub" are a few hundred feet from each other. They say it's crawfish season and that's what I'm looking for.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
This is literally some sim-city poo poo right? We've built more hotels, amusement parks, skyscrapers, massive numbers of residential apartments, and a monorail.
We win Sim-China right. Right?!

gently caress it, I give up trying to bbcode-embed this poo poo
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/12/guiyang-beats-beijing-shanghai-to-title-of-chinas-best-performing-city-milken-institute-says.html
SimChinar

quote:

"With the construction of hotels, amusement parks, skyscrapers, massive numbers of residential apartments, and a monorail, it is easy to see why this city climbed our ranking so quickly,"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fauxtool posted:

ok which one of you was this?
http://imgur.com/gallery/HB99M

quote:

If you're on a set number of hours contract, make sure it states total hours at school, NOT just teaching!!

Yeah loving surprise buddy teaching involves more than showing up inside the classroom, even if you are a white dummy for these people

otherwise everything he/she says is true

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

They didn't care about my tattoos, either. Huh. I'm surprised!

tbf, this was in early 2006 and I am kinda covered, sooo....

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I could never get a tattoo.

Mostly because I have poo poo taste and I'd be cringing in, what, two months?

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
#waygookconfessions is the new buzzword

https://twitter.com/MSalt69/status/855245284644933634

https://twitter.com/oegukin/status/855251167655231489

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

I've tried typing out how maybe Walmart in China is like the American trash tier fast food chains somehow manage to be fancy sit-down places that treat their customers properly but I just can't do it. I just can't imagine Walmart in China as having a different sort of customer than Walmart in the US. Thanks thread.

I picked up some "Guangdong style noodles" from the local "SE Asia" shop (Hmong) and didn't know what to do with them so I threw in some chicken base and veggies and some leftover chicken and a broken-english blog told me my instincts were right, but that I add some oyster sauce and maybe use shrimp/prawns instead of chicken meat. I should probably start asking the US born native-accent-minnesotan-Hmong cashier more questions like why do they have pickled cabbage that's not kimchi and do I eat it like kimchi? I've been eating it but it's like sauerkraut with beef tendons, green onions, and no radish or chili, so I'm confused. I though it was going to be something like a homemade kimchi rather than buying jars of kimchi from a white-people-store for way too much money, but it's not. I don't want to ferment this poo poo myself god damnit just give me an affordable source.

OTOH, fuckit, my best fish monger and "Asian distribution hub" are a few hundred feet from each other. They say it's crawfish season and that's what I'm looking for.

I'm not American so I don't know what US Walmarts are like but here they are just standard supermarkets, not really any different to the other ones like carrefour, renrenle etc.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

I'm not American so I don't know what US Walmarts are like but here they are just standard supermarkets, not really any different to the other ones like carrefour, renrenle etc.

Think the lowest tier possible, unless your country also has kmart.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I looked up where I live in a travel guide and loving lol:
"A perfect example of new town overcrowding. Worth a look just to glimpse Hong Kong life at its bleakest"

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

I'm the row of trees denuded of all greenery.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I could only find one book that mentioned my town: "Don't bother getting off the highway" was the approximate one-liner offered.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

nickmeister posted:

I could only find one book that mentioned my town: "Don't bother getting off the highway" was the approximate one-liner offered.

Mostly harmless.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

simplefish posted:

"A perfect example of new town overcrowding. Worth a look just to glimpse Hong Kong life at its bleakest"

"A pleasant place to live, work and play. Just one stop from the airport and on the subway line that can have you in Central in 15 minutes."

Peak middle class suburbia by HK standards i guess.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I took the ferry from Tuen Mun to Tung Chung (?) on my way home. The bus from the port to HK airport was the worst new town poo poo I've ever seen. Huge grassy areas, massive apt buildings with giant marble lobbies, and no stores or schools.

I think the apartments were just used like hotel rooms for airline staff.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

simplefish posted:

Da gently caress.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/04/22/pictures-easter-resurrection-sham-shui-pos-street-food-hawkers/

poo poo, I was looking for these guys the whole time I was back. No wonder I couldn't find them. The Government won after the riots.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

I took the ferry from Tuen Mun to Tung Chung (?) on my way home. The bus from the port to HK airport was the worst new town poo poo I've ever seen. Huge grassy areas, massive apt buildings with giant marble lobbies, and no stores or schools.

I think the apartments were just used like hotel rooms for airline staff.

You mean along here?

https://www.failedarchitecture.com/a-city-formerly-known-as-sadness-tin-shui-wai/

It had a really bad rep back in the 90's as a bad new town trap. Other new towns in Hong Kong along the railway line were super successful suburbs but not this area. There was no railway line and only one super over congested highway. It had the highest amount of suicides, new immigrants (from mainland), and welfare recipients. Lower income folks were trapped there because they couldn't move out and going to the city costs too much. With recent transport subsidies, the west rail line, and soaring home prices, everyone is still moving in and it's not as big as a giant poo poo hole as before.

Oh and it's super close to Shenzhen with fun stuff to do so it's not as bad as the 90's

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

MisterOblivious posted:

Walmart in China is like 2 parts about-to-get-closed K-mart with 1 part Radio Shack crammed into a space with the atmosphere of a nerd dungeon comic shop.

Carrefour is the standard by which big box stores in China should be judged, and Chinese Walmart is definitely lacking.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I once bought a suitcase at a Chinese Walmart that started to split open on the way to airport the first trip I used it on. I ended up having to pay for one those "shrinkwrap it in 55 layers of plastic" services just to have a prayer of it making it through the flight.

For the most part, my experience is that Walmart in China carries products that are too lovely and low-quality even for Walmart in America. I wish all the Carrefours weren't just far enough away to be annoying to get to.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I think I went to 2 different walmarts in China and they were both shitholes.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Any of you remember Woolworths? Similar vibe but more cramped.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Walmarts around here have a better selection of imported products and are full of Indians.

Carrefour is okay for anything except fresh food, the produce is loving disgusting. Vegetables so infested with bugs the leaves are visibly moving. It's dirtier than the Chinese stores. Ito Yokado supremacy.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

The Walmarts around here have a better selection of imported products and are full of Indians.

Carrefour is okay for anything except fresh food, the produce is loving disgusting. Vegetables so infested with bugs the leaves are visibly moving. It's dirtier than the Chinese stores. Ito Yokado supremacy.

Produce at all Chinese supermarkets is terrible and expensive.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The main Chinese chain here is fine but I stick to the Japanese stores in vain hopes of cleanliness.

My Chengdu supermarket rankings

Isetan/Ole (and both are too expensive to use except when they have something special)
Ito Yokado
Metro
Auchan
Walmart
YH/Carrefour

But of course there is variation within. Carrefour especially, each one is different. Some are super grody, others are decent.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 23, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Thinking back when I'd cook in China it was usually western food of some sort. Mostly i'd just eat out or get take out. Can't remember buying much produce, but the eggs and meat were always fantastic.

I ate a lot of greens at restaurants or that other people would cook, I just never really did them myself.

City I lived in had a tiny little overpriced imported foods shop and I'd get lovely taco seasoning there and make my own chorizo / eggs / potatoes in the wok from the good chinese ground pork.

Aside from the little import shop there wasn't a big foreign grocery store in town, it was all Chinese.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Known Lecher posted:

I once bought a suitcase at a Chinese Walmart that started to split open on the way to airport the first trip I used it on. I ended up having to pay for one those "shrinkwrap it in 55 layers of plastic" services just to have a prayer of it making it through the flight.

For the most part, my experience is that Walmart in China carries products that are too lovely and low-quality even for Walmart in America. I wish all the Carrefours weren't just far enough away to be annoying to get to.

I've never seen wrap service on US domestic airports so there is one thing I've learned from this thread!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
My wife is super proud of the eggs from her home town. (Like the ones her grandma sells when she's keeping a lot of chickens) "They sell for one kuai each!"

She did have to feed and sleep with the chickens at her aunt's farm every day when she was a kid. Maybe that's why it's a point of pride, I guess.

They are pretty good.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It was definitely the Caribbean Coast apartments in Tung Chung (Lantau) but they don't seem so terrible compared to that article.

Lol at comments about tennis courts and cultural arts centers. People need hospitals and grocery stores first...

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

JaucheCharly posted:

Didn't somebody post some +100 years old journals of a brit that sounded almost exactly like the standard stuff that you hear about china today?

This one I think:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160325201112/http://www.earnshaw.com//shanghai-ed-india/tales/library/griffin/t-griffin.htm

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
I just go to the supermarket for stuff you can't get elsewhere like cheese, bread, pasta etc. There are little vegetable shops and markets everywhere that are cheaper and fresher, there's also a meat shop near me that is really clean. I wouldn't buy meat from the market though as it's just left hanging up outside all day with people touching it constantly.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I buy Aussie beef and vegetables from anywhere but China

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I think one big reason I never got food poisoning in China is that the Chinese tended to cook everything before serving it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

It isn't the getting ill, it's knowing I'll be here a few years and not wanting to accumulate heavy metals. Ican take a burst of the squirts, I'm more concerned with lasting damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

From the Really loving Cheap People thread

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Buy a cup of coffee? At cafe prices???? Just make your own!! They're giving away the electricity for free!!

• Locked thread