Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this is v. stupid, as the total net result for microsoft has to be that they are rather insulting the fairly competent onenote team

i can't imagine they are onboarding a single user worth having, or anything of the sort

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

apparently wunderlist is being bought by microsoft. is it any good?

it is good. im using it for quite some time now, and this is the first time ive become aware of the acquisition, as nothing changed from user's perspective

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

well gently caress, they are shutting it down? time to find a new solution i guess, despite having o365 subscription

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gently caress, this is bothersome. i know there's an assload of gtd and todo things or whatever, but it means sifting through all of that joke if i dont want to stick with probably castrated platform-specific microsoft implementation

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
just use google keep op

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Pinball Wizard posted:

just use google keep op
won't cut it for things that are more complex than a grocery list but less complex than my laziness budget for trello

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

http://orgmode.org/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im 20 years younger than orgmode audience, and would like smartphone/table functionality outside of a browser

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it is good. im using it for quite some time now, and this is the first time ive become aware of the acquisition, as nothing changed from user's perspective
good job quoting a post from a year and a half ago

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

good job quoting a post from a year and a half ago
its not like someone else quoted it moments before

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

*reads*

meh.

meh.

meh.

ok, this is is cool I guess:

quote:

Adding TODO items to your .org files is called capturing.

You can capture from everywhere, both within Emacs and from other applications like your web browser, pdf viewer, etc.

"so I just read my email / jira / slack / whatever, select an item, hit a key combination, and it gets turned automatically into a todo?"

"totally, yeah! might require some minimal configuration and tweaking though..."

http://orgmode.org/manual/Using-capture.html#Using-capture

http://orgmode.org/manual/Capture-templates.html#Capture-templates

:eyepoop:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
holy gently caress i love janitoring my reminders

siri remind me to do that later

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Boiled Water posted:

webos is crap what are you on about?

I know we all love rotor and want him to post more but don't say things you'll regret

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

gently caress, this is bothersome. i know there's an assload of gtd and todo things or whatever, but it means sifting through all of that joke if i dont want to stick with probably castrated platform-specific microsoft implementation

just use omnifocus on a good os, op

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

minivanmegafun posted:

just use omnifocus on a good os, op
let me buy a new computer and a phone and a tablet only to use omnifocus, sure

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

is that supposed to be user interface?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

that's a bad screenshot, that's the phone app overlaid on the desktop app

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

the big question is how much will third parties actually want to invest in making their stuff look good on a system that will be a tiny fraction of the 1/4 or less that the ms currently has in the console market when they still have to optimize it for the normal xbone of which there are 20x the number of systems in the wild?

even if there's no optimization whatsoever, "scorpio" will still be a big upgrade

lots of xbone games get like 20 fps

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they could just upsample too, isnt that what the quadruple pro does

edit: or just run it at the native resolution, a bunch of games run at 540p or whatever. maybe that debacle was 360 only though

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hifi posted:

they could just upsample too, isnt that what the quadruple pro does

edit: or just run it at the native resolution, a bunch of games run at 540p or whatever. maybe that debacle was 360 only though

On PS4 Pro, and it seems likely on the next Xbox as well, a game has to be explicitly patched to benefit significantly. For games without this benefit it's possible to run them in "boost mode", which doesn't actually override any of the game's programming or hard limits, but for situations where things like dynamic resolution are employed or frame rate drops are a thing, these are dealt with, so a game on PS4 which would shift its resolution between 900p and 1080p depending on the on-screen activity will basically stay at 1080p fully now, and games which would run between 20 and 30 fps would basically stay at 30fps. But a game which was hard-coded to run at 900p all the time would still only run at 900p.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

afaik, Microsoft has claimed that Xbox One games require zero modification to look and run better on a Project Scorpio

but I have paid zero attention to this and they're probably lying anyway

it is theoretically possible though, assuming they designed the API correctly and wrote and enforced the TCRs for it

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Scott Forstall posted:

winpho is dead and now paul-chan is a android handset review youtuber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNxT0R_zQ0M

Paul is morphing into a minature leo laporte

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 25, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
if you can't rehost the image just link to the article http://www.anandtech.com/show/11287/the-windows-10-creators-update-arrives/6

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

windows is a piece of poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

the blurriness is from compression on the image.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

the blurriness is from compression on the image.

jet fuel cant burn hot enough to melt steel beams

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i didn't realize their cdn defaulted to http

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20170418-00/?p=95985 :lol:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

raymond remains on point, whether it be about the operas to see or the bug reports to laugh at~

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i posted that a week ago! but its still funny

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

afaik, Microsoft has claimed that Xbox One games require zero modification to look and run better on a Project Scorpio

but I have paid zero attention to this and they're probably lying anyway

it is theoretically possible though, assuming they designed the API correctly and wrote and enforced the TCRs for it

Apparently they may be able to force 16x AF but that's as far as it'll likely go other than what I said, no magical 4K-ness without a game getting a patch.

The problem with console games is that they're essentially programmed explicitly to work on only one type of hardware (or close to that, at least) and really weird things happen if you go outside of those restrictions, and this goes back to the NES, like some games relied on laggy sections to load upcoming content and if you bypass the lag you can cross a point before assets are loaded and cause a softlock if the game doesn't have a fallback programmed in, and you have games where physics are explicitly tied to the framerate cap (a lot of games with 30fps caps on PC are because of this and like Dark Souls 1 gets hosed-up collision detection if you go past 30fps so you can fall through ladders and poo poo like that), and a few PC games with 60fps framerate caps don't like running at the 144 Hz G-Sync.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I would guess that lots of games that are designed to be cross platform would probably have no problem having their configs altered to adjust resolution, refresh rate, post processing, etc... like the goal of engines like unity or unreal is to make cross platform deployment easy. The problem would be for console first games like dork souls where the developers never considered other platforms.

Something like Arkham Knight you could just alter some ini files and blammo now you have better quality effects, shadows, post processing, higher display resolution, etc... The biggest problem would be texture quality since new textures would require a content patch.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

You lucked out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

You lucked out.

not me, saw that on arse technica. im fairly content with windows 10

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
currently installing Creators Update on my shity windows tablet

started it, left the office and went to get my car registered, checked the mail and had breakfast

(1:45 later)

"Working on updates : 26%"

i expect hilarity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
It was fast on my computer

• Locked thread