Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6l8MFdTaPE

High level pokemon play is worse then grog games, I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
TL;DR It's basically 50% each time. That's not technically correct, but it's close enough for government work.

Also never ask a goon to explain something to a layman, apparently.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PMush Perfect posted:

TL;DR It's basically 50% each time. That's not technically correct, but it's close enough for government work.

It's a sliding scale between 1/4x and 4x with 1x being dead in the center.

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
Couple of interesting points that I'm not sure will get covered in the main LP. You can actually lose to Theo here and continue the game; there's alternate dialogue where Theo is very, very happy about finally winning against Dick Solomon (clearly having mulled his losses for years). I'm only aware of this and two other points where something special happens if you lose a battle other than blacking out, which I'll bring up as they occur.

Other thing; Valeryn's Mega Stone gift is currently the only source of the mega stone for that UFO pokemon, S-52 (I think?). If you don't choose that pokemon for your mega stone gift, you simply cannot ever get it. This may have changed in later patches, but I know this was the case in the version I played (which was one version behind OFS's).

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

PMush Perfect posted:

I love it: one person asks a question, and like six people bowl over each other with basically the same answer.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
A stat boost makes that stat higher. A stat nerf makes that stat lower.

The exact math only matters if you play competitively, which is a terrible idea.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

GeneX posted:

A stat boost makes that stat higher. A stat nerf makes that stat lower.

The exact math only matters if you play competitively, which is a terrible idea.

But he asked for the exact math

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Added Space posted:

The competitive Pokemon community is not actually all that grognardy, in relative terms. one of my favorite Pokemon related things is this strategy entry for Farfetch'd: http://www.smogon.com/dex/bw/pokemon/farfetchd/ou/

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Spatula City posted:

The competitive Pokemon community is not actually all that grognardy, in relative terms. one of my favorite Pokemon related things is this strategy entry for Farfetch'd: http://www.smogon.com/dex/bw/pokemon/farfetchd/ou/
Don't forget http://www.smogon.com/dex/dp/pokemon/luvdisc/ and http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/spinda/

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I have this weird problem with Smogon where if I scroll down a page even once it starts slooooowly autoscrolling downward and I hate it and I can'f figure out any way to fix it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I think you meant to link XY luvdisc.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

LAY-ZX posted:

But he asked for the exact math

I'm more commenting on the premise of the question itself

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Added Space posted:

Who the do you think is running ths LP?! :qq:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

playing pokemon competitively is fun. i wouldnt go to tournaments or anything but pokemon showdown or whatever is a good time. there's no competitive game that plays anything like pokemon, it's pretty simple to grasp the rules of, and it's like 80% bluffing/baiting so you don't need to be some high level expert to do okay at it. there's a knowledge barrier of knowing what each pokemon can do but since it's turn-based you can literally just look things up as they happen. it's a good time, i'd recommend it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Endorph posted:

playing pokemon competitively is fun. i wouldnt go to tournaments or anything but pokemon showdown or whatever is a good time. there's no competitive game that plays anything like pokemon, it's pretty simple to grasp the rules of, and it's like 80% bluffing/baiting so you don't need to be some high level expert to do okay at it. there's a knowledge barrier of knowing what each pokemon can do but since it's turn-based you can literally just look things up as they happen. it's a good time, i'd recommend it.

Definitely use Pokemon Showdown though. Actually building the team in-game and doing breeding chains or making sure your EVs are right or you have the right Hidden Power or whatever you need is the worst part, and it lets you skip that step.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Prism posted:

Definitely use Pokemon Showdown though. Actually building the team in-game and doing breeding chains or making sure your EVs are right or you have the right Hidden Power or whatever you need is the worst part, and it lets you skip that step.

Which sucks, because I love all the shiny bells and whistles of the actual game's battles. Showdown is wonderful, but it's so cold.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Prism posted:

Do so many people do all that nonsense that everyone has to just to keep up? Obviously dorks are gonna dork, but you'd think you would just take your loss and go back to fighting more normal people who don't spend eight hours a day soft-resetting for IVs for whatever.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

magikid posted:

Do so many people do all that nonsense that everyone has to just to keep up? Obviously dorks are gonna dork, but you'd think you would just take your loss and go back to fighting more normal people who don't spend eight hours a day soft-resetting for IVs for whatever.
If you build it, grogs will come. (You can find a lot of casual players in the SA thread, but out in the wild? Yes, yes they do.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

magikid posted:

If you want to win against better quality opponents, its what you'll be doing. Same as any other competitive activity.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

magikid posted:

Yeah sure. You don't have to do any of that stuff. Provided, of course, that you don't want to be the very best.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

magikid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5Igc18hc2Q

For RBY pokemon, you can use pokerus and upload to Pokémon Bank.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

*hides her team with it on it that exists only to participate in stuff and not win*

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sounds like a lack of creativity imo.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

Spatula City posted:

There's also its Diamond and Pearl entry, which is a personal favorite of mine.
http://www.smogon.com/dex/dp/pokemon/farfetchd/

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Pretty much all the Unown ones are good, I'm partial to this one http://www.smogon.com/dex/dp/pokemon/unown/

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Raserys posted:

Pretty much all the Unown ones are good, I'm partial to this one http://www.smogon.com/dex/dp/pokemon/unown/

quote:

As Unown can sometimes get temperamental when dropped into a situation outside of what it is used to (caves, incest),

:wtc:

Now I'm wondering if Uranium has Unown. I can't imagine what kind of bullshot this game would hide the punctuation forms behind.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

magikid posted:

Which is why if there is a game where I would absolutely support cheating for, it would be generating legal stats/nature/moveset prep for in-game Pokemon competitive battling, since the RNG does gently caress nothing but detracts from the skill-based aspect of the game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Palladium posted:

Which is why if there is a game where I would absolutely support cheating for, it would be generating legal stats/nature/moveset prep for in-game Pokemon competitive battling, since the RNG does gently caress nothing but detracts from the skill-based aspect of the game.
At least they've done a lot to make it easier to get Pokemon with 3 guaranteed perfect IVs. (Most recently, VC bank-transfer.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PMush Perfect posted:

At least they've done a lot to make it easier to get Pokemon with 3 guaranteed perfect IVs. (Most recently, VC bank-transfer.)

In the best case scenario, breeding can only guarantee five out of six, and you never know which five. If you're trying to get an actually perfect pokemon with the right ability, that's a 1/64 chance, assuming both parents also have 6 perfect IVs.

Competitive Pokemon is a level of grognardery on the level of minmaxing character stats in Final Fantasy Tactics.

Unfortunately, that level of grognardery is what causes things like Uranium.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

On the plus side, you'd only really care about one attacking stat for the vast majority of mons. That means you just have to roll that one unpredictable IV in the stat they don't use, which cuts down the time spent considerably. Alakazam isn't exactly attached to his physical attack.

That's still a lot of grognardery but it's kinda fun for those of us mad enough. God help you if you need a specific Hidden Power, though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No one who actually commits to that grognardy would make a new type
And make it effective.and weak to everything
Then make a make a typical sweeper
Make it that type
Give an ability that makes all normals that new type

Then give it loving hyper voice.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 24, 2017

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

KataraniSword posted:

In the best case scenario, breeding can only guarantee five out of six, and you never know which five. If you're trying to get an actually perfect pokemon with the right ability, that's a 1/64 chance, assuming both parents also have 6 perfect IVs.

Competitive Pokemon is a level of grognardery on the level of minmaxing character stats in Final Fantasy Tactics.

Unfortunately, that level of grognardery is what causes things like Uranium.

You usually only need 5 out of the 6 IVs to be perfect, since you rarely need both attack stats, and something is getting dumped to get a boost from the nature anyway. (The big exception being hidden power, which needs even and odd IVs in specific places to get a specific type and lol.) With two 6 IV parents, getting the right 5 IV spread is actually 1/6. It's when you stack up everything else that it starts getting hairy. If you care about gender, the ratios range from 100% to 1/8. If you care about the ability, you have something like an 80% chance to pass it down from the mother. I forget if that changes if you're passing down 1 of 2 verses 1 of 3 (like with hidden abilities). You can guarantee that a parent passes down its nature by giving it an Everstone, otherwise it's 1/16 to get any specific one. But yeah, even in ideal cases things stack up fast.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

On the plus side, you'd only really care about one attacking stat for the vast majority of mons. That means you just have to roll that one unpredictable IV in the stat they don't use, which cuts down the time spent considerably. Alakazam isn't exactly attached to his physical attack.

That's still a lot of grognardery but it's kinda fun for those of us mad enough. God help you if you need a specific Hidden Power, though.

a low attack stat is even helpful for Alakazam in case it gets confused

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
It's still an unnecessary and - to me - unfun step. Figuring out what I need is good. Playing with the team is good. Having to grind it out, eeeeeeh

I will note that I said EVs and not IVs though. I guess the PokePelago or whatever helps but still.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Prism posted:

It's still an unnecessary and - to me - unfun step. Figuring out what I need is good. Playing with the team is good. Having to grind it out, eeeeeeh

I will note that I said EVs and not IVs though. I guess the PokePelago or whatever helps but still.

Yeah, EVs are actually pretty quick nowdays; between hordes, the awful habit for Sun/Moon pokemon to call reinforcements, and either Super Training (in X/Y/OR/AS) or the Poke Pelago (in Sun/Moon) there's really not nearly as much grind to EVs as there used to be... the problem, instead, is mostly being able to count 252 out of 255, since those last three EVs are wasted.

Note that, as far as I know, Uranium has none of these QoL improvements and expect you to grind EVs the hard way, one pokemon at a time... though at least it transparently tells you how many of any given EV you have.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"Here is exactly how much bullshit you still have to put up with."

Question: What happens when you try to use the Pomeg glitch in this game?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, EVs are actually pretty quick nowdays; between hordes, the awful habit for Sun/Moon pokemon to call reinforcements, and either Super Training (in X/Y/OR/AS) or the Poke Pelago (in Sun/Moon) there's really not nearly as much grind to EVs as there used to be... the problem, instead, is mostly being able to count 252 out of 255, since those last three EVs are wasted.

Note that, as far as I know, Uranium has none of these QoL improvements and expect you to grind EVs the hard way, one pokemon at a time... though at least it transparently tells you how many of any given EV you have.

If memory serves, Sun and Moon cap EVs properly now, so you don't have to track those last few points.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

At least Sun and Moon have Hyper Training, so that you don't need to worry about IVs (outside of for hidden power) for mons you want to use competitively - you can just raise them to 100 normally and then raise all of their effective IVs to maximum with bottlecaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Rainuwastaken posted:

If memory serves, Sun and Moon cap EVs properly now, so you don't have to track those last few points.

Yeah it's been that way since at least gen 6, possibly gen 5 as well. Caps at 252.

• Locked thread