Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm agreeing with Tiggum. What the hell is wrong with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I suppose this is fairly tame as far as sexual innuendo goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9LRpkWmvhg

But that didn't stop me from going "What the Christ, Volkswagen?" when I saw it on regular network TV in prime time earlier tonight.

That's mildly funny, what's your problem?

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I'm agreeing with Tiggum. What the hell is wrong with me?

You may be lack toast intolerant.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Marvel asks comic store employees to dress as nazis: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/20/marvel-want-comic-store-staff-dress-like-hydra-secret-empire/

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

No they just want them to wear these t-shirts:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Xlorp posted:

What the heck is that Discover badge symbol supposed to be? All I can take from it is a pastel tangram with decent color composition
I think it's a breast pump. Tell all your friends about how outrageous this new Discover ad is! Retweet and subscribe!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

jojoinnit posted:

It's a pretty nice t-shirt so I don't see the issue. Any controversy is probably just someone trying to viral market the shirts.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

Which is the symbol of a fictional nazi organisation.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Hey, I found the word that matters!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine if kids playing with Decepticon or Skeletor toys were hauled off to the guidance counsellor for anti social tendencies by default.

:911:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Alhazred posted:

THAT IS JUST WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK! WE'RE ALL BEING BRAINWASHED TO IGNORE NAZIS! WE ALREADY IGNORE CHEMTRAILS AND THE ILLUMINATI!!!1!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Exactly. Fictional being the operative word.

Don't yell that someone's dressing up like a Nazi if they're not. My Jewish grandpa is 93. If I can wear that shirt without giving him war flashbacks its not dressing up like a loving Nazi. No military uniform, no swastika or any other symbol of the actual third Reich. Its just a comic book thing. End of the day its not some dumb misstep in marketing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
To be fair there are articles showing people actually upset:
https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/secret-empire-hydra-shirts-marvel/

I admit I don't really get it though. I'm Jewish myself and am confused how this could be upsetting. It's just a t-shirt with a logo, its not like they're in full SS uniforms. Unless said story arc is glorifying Hydra as the saviors of mankind it doesn't seem like it's endorsing Nazis or anything.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It could be worse

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

PostNouveau posted:

It could be worse

So do you sit on the side of the side you like to show support or on the side you hate so your rear end is on their flag?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

RagnarokAngel posted:

I admit I don't really get it though. I'm Jewish myself and am confused how this could be upsetting. It's just a t-shirt with a logo, its not like they're in full SS uniforms. Unless said story arc is glorifying Hydra as the saviors of mankind it doesn't seem like it's endorsing Nazis or anything.

I doubt anyone would've made a stink about it if not for the whole Captain America debacle that's happening.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

A veteran addressed this at the C2E2 (major Chicago convention) Marvel panel this weekend, specifically said he found the storyline offensive. The writer and two other members of the panel blew him off (writer continuing his apologist attitude from twitter). Marvel is handling the criticism of the storyline terribly. It's also Jack Kirby's 100th birthday this year so the current portrayal of Cap is especially misguided at best.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Wait, I thought the deal was that Hydra was just using the Nazis for their resources and technology, just like they infiltrated and subverted other groups throughout history?

I will admit this is all only half remembered from reading a friends' comics in middle school.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

A veteran addressed this at the C2E2 (major Chicago convention) Marvel panel this weekend, specifically said he found the storyline offensive. The writer and two other members of the panel blew him off (writer continuing his apologist attitude from twitter). Marvel is handling the criticism of the storyline terribly. It's also Jack Kirby's 100th birthday this year so the current portrayal of Cap is especially misguided at best.

You can find a veteran for or against literally any topic you can name.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DancingShade posted:

Imagine if kids playing with Decepticon or Skeletor toys were hauled off to the guidance counsellor for anti social tendencies by default.

:911:

My 7th grade homeroom teacher went into a panic and tried to do that when I brought a D&D book to school.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RagnarokAngel posted:

You know now that you mention it I'm pretty sure that a Jewish grandpa (or grandma) should be the only people who should be able to give a definitive answer on this sort of topic.

They literally survived the most horrible atrocity in widely recorded living memory and are/are not triggered by [thing]? That's the answer right there.

^ Sorry for your experience. I didn't grow up in a theocracy but I can understand that people hate things that are different or strange to their 40-50 year old sensibilities.
I little sympathy for them mind you but your experience was probably extremely poo poo for no good reason which sucks.

DancingShade has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Apr 23, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DancingShade posted:

They literally survived the most horrible atrocity in widely recorded living memory and are/are not triggered by [thing]? That's the answer right there.

You'd think the holocaust was the only appalling event in living memory.

And that Jewish people were the only victims.

sassassin has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Apr 23, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

bongwizzard posted:

Wait, I thought the deal was that Hydra was just using the Nazis for their resources and technology, just like they infiltrated and subverted other groups throughout history?

I will admit this is all only half remembered from reading a friends' comics in middle school.

That's a retcon. The reality is HYDRA was created to be a stand in for Nazis even once the Nazis were no longer in power in Germany, because captain America was defined by his opposition to Hitler they had to keep it going somehow.

Saying otherwise ist marvel being coy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Wasn't the point behind the latest plot that people were flipping their poo poo over a black Captain, so the writers went, gently caress it, and made the white one a hydra operative?

I don't really follow these things though, so I admit I could be wrong.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

sassassin posted:

Don't be dense. We're talking about whether the shirt is or isn't nazi imagery and I used a personal example of why I don't think it is.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Old people offended by young people's media?!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

sassassin posted:

let's start a dick-measuring contest about genocide, can't possibly go wrong

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mandatory lesbian posted:

let's start a dick-measuring contest about genocide, can't possibly go wrong

Surely those with circumcised dicks will be at an unfair disadvantage, you bigot.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't think foreskin makes your dick longer....???

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Piell posted:

So do you sit on the side of the side you like to show support or on the side you hate so your rear end is on their flag?

There are actually buildings in New York with swastikas in the floor tile patterns that were built by Jews after the war so they could walk on them every day.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Personally I don't think anyone has the right to decide if something's offensive.

Everyone has the right to decide if they are offended.

Majority rules.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Honestly I feel like we are blowing right past the fact that the shirt is only available in sizes L or XL.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Chitin posted:

There are actually buildings in New York with swastikas in the floor tile patterns that were built by Jews after the war so they could walk on them every day.

Check out the Tel Aviv Museum of Art:

https://goo.gl/maps/V85UmKH1ie22

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

SiKboy posted:

Honestly I feel like we are blowing right past the fact that the shirt is only available in sizes L or XL.

Not to make the obvious joke but c'mon, it's for comic store employees...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yes, that is the easy joke we are all inexplicably blowing past here! Since when does literally NO-ONE go for the low hanging fruit?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's not even low hanging fruit. That's fruit lying in the ground, rotting.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SiKboy posted:

It's because the XXL and XXXL sizes are sold out

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SiKboy posted:

shirt sizes that aren't measurement based are all a sham anyway, like i've had large shirts that fit my 124 pound frame perfectly fine

altho i like my shirts loose so i guess maybe that's a factor

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I doubt anyone would've made a stink about it if not for the whole Captain America debacle that's happening.

Without going too stupidnerd, what debacle?

Oh, oh, tell me they made a woman Captain! Or a Muslim or gay one? That kinda poo poo always makes idiots sperg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Without going too stupidnerd, what debacle?

Oh, oh, tell me they made a woman Captain! Or a Muslim or gay one? That kinda poo poo always makes idiots sperg.

cap was black at one point, but the current debacle is that the (now back to white) guy who was introduced as punching hitler in the face is a secret nazi