Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My vita occasionally crashes with this stupid error "the simcard was not found" or something like that. Then it restarts.
I have never used the simcard. I just kept it in, to get rid of the "no simcard" message on the top of the vita screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Midjack posted:

Bounds checking has been a known prevention for these problems almost as long as digital computers have existed. That these problems continue to occur in 2017 speaks volumes about the people who write them in.

on one hand yes, but on the other hand, maybe it's already being done and they missed it one time, so when it doesn't throw as a build error and you don't catch it in qa, you have no idea which value isn't being bounds checked, so at that point it turns into looking for the one line that doesn't exist among all the ones that do :psyduck:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sefal posted:

My vita occasionally crashes with this stupid error "the simcard was not found" or something like that. Then it restarts.
I have never used the simcard. I just kept it in, to get rid of the "no simcard" message on the top of the vita screen

That's on you for getting the worst Vita.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Thuryl posted:

Right now I'm just hoping the Asian English Demon Gaze 2 release isn't vaporware. Still no word of a release date.

Preach it, brother. I wanna gaze some demons again.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Saoshyant posted:

Preach it, brother. I wanna gaze some demons again.

I foresee a restraining order against you in your near future, you perv.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The White Dragon posted:

on one hand yes, but on the other hand, maybe it's already being done and they missed it one time, so when it doesn't throw as a build error and you don't catch it in qa, you have no idea which value isn't being bounds checked, so at that point it turns into looking for the one line that doesn't exist among all the ones that do :psyduck:

That could be, the few times it has happened to me is during MP and seems little difficult to do a thoroughly testing of that.

Sudden disconnects can lead to some hilarity though

And just because is cool

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

It's like putting a period at the end of a sentence. There's no excuse for not doing it ever.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Midjack posted:

It's like putting a period at the end of a sentence. There's no excuse for not doing it ever.

actually there is, for instance, this one

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I wonder if there's something else you put at the end of sentences?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

actually there is, for instance, this one

gently caress

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

Unlikely!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nice;

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Knowing punctuation doesn't make you special&

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I have a few questions about the memory cards and poo poo of this thing, since none of it is super intuitive.

The system has 1 gig of internal memory, correct? How do you actually use this memory if you have a memory card? Do you have to remove it in order to download games to the internal memory? And when you purchase a physical game, where does it save the game data? Also, I would assume so, but are memory card hot swappable?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You don't use that gigabyte while a memory card's in.

And no cards are not hot-swappable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Midjack posted:

yeah but coding and writing are two different animals, it's so easy to forget to do it just right there. it happens all the time. speaking from experience!

:awesomelon: >die on contact with hitbox
:smaug: why the gently caress do you die on hit to this one attack no seriously i've been trying to figure this out all day what the gently caress am i missing
:awesomelon: >die on contact with hitbox even when invulnerable
:smaug: right because i forgot to include && playerInvulnerable == false

doesn't matter what level you're coding at--mom's basement, after-work enthusiast, server manager, dod :ghost:, square enix... it happens, and it happens to everyone.

Really Pants posted:

Knowing punctuation doesn't make you special&

punctuation, is? fun!

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 24, 2017

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The Milkman posted:

Uhh, anyone have this deal where the face buttons, d-pad, start and select work on the dashboard but not in game? Is this my punishment for leaving it in the drawer too long?

Update in case anyone else runs into this, since this does seem to be a manufacturing flaw or some such. Filtering out all the internet posts from people who dunked theirs into a toilet of pepsi, I did find this thread and the response from user `mikemoe`.

Basically the glue that holds the shoulder sensors can eventually short out those buttons and for some reason this fucks up the signal for all the face buttons (but only in app/games). I have a 2000, but it seems it can affect either model. After taking the back panel off and disconnecting the battery, I disconnected the shoulder button sensors and cleaned them off with rubbing alcohol. Re-assembled it and now everything is kosher again. I didn't try and re-adhere the sensors, it seems like they'll stay in place without it.

iFixit has decent tear down guides, you'll need philips #00 and a spudger. I was really hoping it was just a software issue since the buttons did operate fine on the dashboard and the recovery menu, but no combination of power offs, system resets, or yanking memory cards helped. Sure enough, while separating the halves I hosed up the ribbon cable for the rear touchpad, but nothing of value was lost.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

wtf is that thing

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

The Milkman posted:

Update in case anyone else runs into this, since this does seem to be a manufacturing flaw or some such. Filtering out all the internet posts from people who dunked theirs into a toilet of pepsi, I did find this thread and the response from user `mikemoe`.

Basically the glue that holds the shoulder sensors can eventually short out those buttons and for some reason this fucks up the signal for all the face buttons (but only in app/games). I have a 2000, but it seems it can affect either model. After taking the back panel off and disconnecting the battery, I disconnected the shoulder button sensors and cleaned them off with rubbing alcohol. Re-assembled it and now everything is kosher again. I didn't try and re-adhere the sensors, it seems like they'll stay in place without it.

iFixit has decent tear down guides, you'll need philips #00 and a spudger. I was really hoping it was just a software issue since the buttons did operate fine on the dashboard and the recovery menu, but no combination of power offs, system resets, or yanking memory cards helped. Sure enough, while separating the halves I hosed up the ribbon cable for the rear touchpad, but nothing of value was lost.

good luck playing classic cool game Tearaway without the rear touch

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Healbot posted:

That's on you for getting the worst Vita.

Can't argue against you.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Aren't a fair number of Vitas bugged with memory card issues that force crashes anyway?

This is the worst part of Vitas since there's no fix other than "reformat everything and pray". My card even has issues backing up things sometimes and since game saves are tied to games (when they're digital) I'm gonna end up with stuff I can't move off when my card inevitably crashes and dies.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dont be mean to me posted:

You don't use that gigabyte while a memory card's in.

And no cards are not hot-swappable.

Guess I shouldn't have expected differently... thanks!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Wandle Cax posted:

good luck playing classic cool game Tearaway without the rear touch

is it legal to say that Tearaway is overrated yet

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some people have to have liked it first

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

The Milkman posted:

is it legal to say that Tearaway is overrated yet

Is it really that highly rated? It's very charming and cute, but as a platformer it's floaty and imprecise, as are most MM's games, I find.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Overrated' means nothing and is completely worthless as criticism

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
'Overrated' means people really clung to it as something special when it was really that vita had no games

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What kind of cruel game makes you look at yourself while you play it

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tearaway is fun and the ps4 version was a delight to play with my kids. Whenever we were tasked with making something, like a crown, my daughter would draw one up and I'd do my best to follow her blueprints. She also thought the Messenger was literally going to jump out of the TV at the end of the game :3:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Help Im Alive posted:

Especially a portable one, where the default position of the system is basically the least flattering angle for a picture.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Help Im Alive posted:

A hilarious one. I always had the goofiest grin on my face.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
"Tearaway is overrated even though it sold like poo poo even for a Vita game and people don't really talk about it."

Uh ok.

Alternatively you can just say that you don't like the game and why.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I dig tearaway's charm but I don't think anyone was claiming it was a fantastic platformer mechanically

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Milkman posted:

'Overrated' means people really clung to it as something special when it was really that vita had no games

It's okay to say that you're mad that other people liked a game you didn't

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tearaway wins an award for the game that most tempts you to look up goatse, so there's that

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

tearaway wins an award for the game that most tempts you to look up goatse, so there's that

you should never just be temped to look up goatse, you should view it enough times that you have an ingrained desire to see it, like seeing an old friend who came into town

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I don't actually hate the game and I'm extremely not mad my memory of the early days was people really pushing it as A Thing and i'm not mad

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
You could make it snow dicks.

And balls.

It's pretty great but I had to remove all my creations before lending the game to my nephew.

I also made a pig with sunglasses you could ride.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Drive Girls of all loving things is getting localized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftD46AKv5w

Currently Euro-exclusive, due out May 26th on BOTH physical and digital formats. I'm shocked this is getting a physical run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
God bless the Vita.