Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PostNouveau posted:

Alright, so all this "Macedonian teenagers are going to hijack your Internet-connected car on the freeway and hold you ransom for bitcoins" stuff is malarkey. There's not a car in the world that will keep going when the brake is engaged.

If you can't think of a way that manipulation of the controls of your car could be used maliciously, then I think you're just not trying hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

If you can't think of a way that manipulation of the controls of your car could be used maliciously, then I think you're just not trying hard enough.

Maliciously, sure, but not as a kidnapping method. It might be a viable way to murder someone, but there won't be hackers targeting random people for money.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PostNouveau posted:

Maliciously, sure, but not as a kidnapping method. It might be a viable way to murder someone, but there won't be hackers targeting random people for money.

I don't think that was ever seriously proposed, here. I think the widest use for this sort of thing would be insurance fraud, personally.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

I don't think that was ever seriously proposed, here.

violent sex idiot posted:

yeah its not like there's any value in someone controlling your brakes to demand money from you right. no one would threaten someone with violence for money

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Alright, so all this "Macedonian teenagers are going to hijack your Internet-connected car on the freeway and hold you ransom for bitcoins" stuff is malarkey. There's not a car in the world that will keep going when the brake is engaged.

If the throttle is stuck full on, then the brake won't hold the car at all.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
A full emergency brake lock once a vehicle exceeds 70mph would be completely harmless.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Brake systems have been computerized since the 70s, incidentally. You can totally prevent the brakes from operating if you have full control over the computer that runs the ABS system.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Isn't the brake on a car just the same physical thing it always was though? Like there might be a program that would allow automatic braking, but it wouldn't ever interfere with the driver's ability to step on the brake and stop the car? I'd heard all those Toyota crashes were likely driver error after it was all said and done.
Yeah they changed all those throttle sensors to fix user error. People just didn't know how to react to a runaway engine, and there was additional bumblefuckery related to brake action while throttle is maxed out IIRC.

PostNouveau posted:

Modern cars are perfectly capable of cooking its brakes. There's a reason the number one track day upgrade is a big brake kit.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 23, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Modern cars are perfectly capable of cooking its brakes. There's a reason the number one track day upgrade is a big brake kit.

Yeah it sounds like brake pedals don't actually have the physical connections anymore after all? Seems like an awful idea.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Megabound posted:

A Vision Based Forced Landing Site Selection System for an Autonomous UAV

One among many of papers exploring using a computer vision system for emergency landings in UAVs.

I never said it was simple, I was exploring a method that could be utilised after a lot of work.

Did you even glance at that paper? A high failure rate neural network based approach, being run on the ground on archived aerial footage. So, not realtime, not a certifiable approach, and for unmanned controlled crashes at best.

The gap between that paper and a safe autonomous landing is so much more that 'a lot of work'.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 23, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
The paper is from 2005. The gap between it and current state of the art is even bigger, just in the other direction.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah it sounds like brake pedals don't actually have the physical connections anymore after all? Seems like an awful idea.
No they do, almost always, but the ABS system can disengage the brakes as it wants since it controls separate valves for each brake (that's how it works). Some early ones are known to go nuts under certain rain/snow conditions and fully disable the brakes.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

They are still connected, but the actual braking force you can apply with the pedal itself is minimal without a brake booster. ABS and co. also have bypass valves that could be hosed with.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I love this and I hope their SCAC is SALA.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

How would these hackers even get their money? I'd imagine most/all victims would crash before they ever got to their phones to make a transfer.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

chitoryu12 posted:

How would these hackers even get their money? I'd imagine most/all victims would crash before they ever got to their phones to make a transfer.

You crash two cars and kill/injure 2 people. Huge media shitstorm follows for months

Then you threaten a bunch of people that you will do it to them if they don't pay up.

You wouldn't even need to be able to technically do it - simply engage the door locks, make the engine rev a few times and then call them through Onstar.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Speed 3?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The goon that couldn't slow down.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

chitoryu12 posted:

Lie in wait at a cloverleaf and hack approaching cars.
Scare the gently caress out of the driver.
Tell them to throw out their spare change as they pass the cloverleaf.
Pick up the change and profit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PostNouveau posted:

Isn't the brake on a car just the same physical thing it always was though? Like there might be a program that would allow automatic braking, but it wouldn't ever interfere with the driver's ability to step on the brake and stop the car? I'd heard all those Toyota crashes were likely driver error after it was all said and done.

If by "driver error" you mean "the brakes stop working under certain scenarios and only reset and start working again if you stop pressing them" then yes

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

chitoryu12 posted:

i reckon they'd operate like ransomware hackers and disable the car entirely until you pay up rather than try to kill you

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

spankmeister posted:

If the throttle is stuck full on, then the brake won't hold the car at all.

That's absolutely false. The brakes exert a hell of a lot more torque than WOT does.

What has occasionally happened in a stuck throttle condition is that the driver doesn't fully apply the brakes at first, and by the time he does so they've overheated and lost braking ability. But if your throttle sticks wide open and you push the brake pedal to the floor, you're going to stop. It won't even be a contest.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Did ya'll forget that the CIA has already killed a dude via accessing his vehicles controls through it's internet capable system?
It was a thing last year.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Driver error and "I want in on the fat payouts."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you can find the data on "victims" of the Toyota unintended acceleration fiasco, they're almost all over 60.

It was just olds hitting the wrong pedal all along.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FuturePastNow posted:

If you can find the data on "victims" of the Toyota unintended acceleration fiasco, they're almost all over 60.

89 people died

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Spatial posted:

This is not a joke. :negative:

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

Cars will get treated like any other unsecured PC or IoT device that never get updates.

Send 2 Bitcoins to this address if you want your car's accelerator to work. Another .5 Bitcoins if you want the radio to stop pumping out russian folk music at full volume. (BTW, you car is also helping to ddos a twitch streamer right now.)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

It's not just electric braking that's the issue. They just have way more engine power than thermal capacity and cooling power in the calipers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Improbable Lobster posted:

If by "driver error" you mean "the brakes stop working under certain scenarios and only reset and start working again if you stop pressing them" then yes

Got a source on this one? There have been a lot of electronic failures hypothesized, but I'm not aware of anything having ever been proven to be possible other than the simple and stupid answers like the floor mat wedging the gas pedal and the driver just being an idiot with their foot on the wrong pedal.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FuturePastNow posted:

There were a couple cases where the floor mats tangled with the pedal, but yeah, it was mostly user error. We went through the exact same thing with the Audi 5000 in the mid-80s, and it was the same thing: olds mashing the wrong pedal.

In fairness this time around it was complicated by Toyota's lovely AI. Since instead of a key, a ubiquitous interface that absolutely everyone on the planet understands, they decided to go with a pushbutton starter. If you're sitting stopped, and your car's running, you push the button to turn it off. But since you don't want people accidentally turning their car off at 70mph if they shift in their seat and bump the button or something, what you do is you make the switch modal, without telling anyone (except in the user manual, and who reads that?): if the car's in motion, you have to push the button and hold it in for a few seconds. So the number two thing on the "stuck throttle" checklist, turn the car off, was being attempted by panicky people who'd just push the button and have nothing happen.

The investigation found that there were a few cases where the root cause were the floor mats getting entangled in the pedals.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

wolrah posted:

Got a source on this one? There have been a lot of electronic failures hypothesized, but I'm not aware of anything having ever been proven to be possible other than the simple and stupid answers like the floor mat wedging the gas pedal and the driver just being an idiot with their foot on the wrong pedal.

I might be thinking of a different Toyota recall

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Wall Balls posted:

i reckon they'd operate like ransomware hackers and disable the car entirely until you pay up rather than try to kill you
Either this or if they couldn't fully disable the car, have it make uncommanded changes to what the car's doing every couple seconds (break, accelerate, turn right or left a bit, etc.) to freak people out as they're getting out of their driveway/parking spot, then put a URL up on the in-dash display with where to go for directions on how to get control of your car back. The whole structure for how to do it and get paid already exists because of stuff like Cryptolocker, so I'm not sure why people think it's not gonna happen. Seems like it's almost inevitable unless auto manufacturers do the smart thing and not allow OTA updates to the software that controls the car.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Azathoth posted:

Seems like it's almost inevitable unless auto manufacturers do the smart thing and not allow OTA updates to the software that controls the car.

:laffo:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
This derail sucks and you guys have killed this thread.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nocheez posted:

Sorry boys, thread ain't up to code. CLOSE 'EM DOWN!

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Baby boomers aren't people and deserve death

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Nocheez posted:

Once we get self posting message boards we won't have to worry about thread derails.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Manual transmission supremacy.

Get on my level shitlords.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
i think it's very funny that goons will nitpick incredibly unlikely scenarios to death and then say "AND THE MANUFACTURERS WILL NEVER FIX IT!"

if a bunch of ordinary peoples cars started getting hacked, you can bet there would be a recall the likes of which has never been seen before. did you guys forget about the Takata airbag recall already? How about frame rust issues on Toyota trucks? Every Toyota dealership in the Northeast has a guy on staff that exclusively does frame swaps. Also, my car gets software updates when needed so I'm not sure why people are saying they never get done. They don't add on entirely new OS's, but they can get little software fixes.

Phanatic posted:

There were a couple cases where the floor mats tangled with the pedal, but yeah, it was mostly user error. We went through the exact same thing with the Audi 5000 in the mid-80s, and it was the same thing: olds mashing the wrong pedal.

In fairness this time around it was complicated by Toyota's lovely AI. Since instead of a key, a ubiquitous interface that absolutely everyone on the planet understands, they decided to go with a pushbutton starter. If you're sitting stopped, and your car's running, you push the button to turn it off. But since you don't want people accidentally turning their car off at 70mph if they shift in their seat and bump the button or something, what you do is you make the switch modal, without telling anyone (except in the user manual, and who reads that?): if the car's in motion, you have to push the button and hold it in for a few seconds. So the number two thing on the "stuck throttle" checklist, turn the car off, was being attempted by panicky people who'd just push the button and have nothing happen.

The investigation found that there were a few cases where the root cause were the floor mats getting entangled in the pedals.

UI, but yea the issue really comes down to people buying a car with a different driver interface and not reading the manual. There is method to the Prius's design madness but I think it was kind of foolish to make it as esoteric to old people as they did. If you'd been driving cars for 50 years, the Prius was different enough to cause confusion.

But the acceleration issues were all user error.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 23, 2017

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Deeply unfortunate that the public takeaway from Toyota's criminally negligent software design seems to be "user error". That's their legal department's defence that you're mistaking for truth. Don't know why you would believe them.

In court, the software was examined by an embedded software expert. His conclusion, having examined their software for 20 months, was that the "unintended acceleration" was not only a possible cause but definitely the cause. Why, because they totally hosed up every possible aspect of their software. It was embarrassingly and shockingly bad work throughout, with every single steroeotypically terrible design choice you can imagine. Untestable, unmaintainable spaghetti code. No MISRA compliance. Thousands of warnings in released code. Unintended memory corruption. No ECC on the hardware. Thread safety violations. A total lack of redundancy. 11,000 global variables.

This is the kind of joke level garbage we embedded software people laugh about at lunch, except this time it was linked to whether people lived or die. Toyota hosed up their software and it killed people, that is the undeniable truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Holy loving poo poo you lot are gooning the gently caress out of this thread. Can we get back to gifs of dumb asses on work sites please?