Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

I'm up to 11/20, should I spill the beans or not

It's messed up that you'd even need to ask this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Gorp posted:

I don't mind that yoshitsune.
I mean, it's not good and I would still want a dps version - but if this was your "immune to everything" dude that's cool.

He's not immune to gun skills though so even in that sense, he's flawed.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He's not immune to gun skills though so even in that sense, he's flawed.

Also not Almighty, but as the name suggests nothing is, so...

I didn't make immunity Yoshitsune until new game plus, and then I used him to beat the twins, which gave the usual Omnipotent Orb that makes an immunity-built Yoshitsune pointless anyway :v: . Now I'm undecided whether to drop immunity Yoshitsune for a fully offensively built one with Hassou Tobi, Charge, Apt Pupil, Unshaken Will/Victory Cry (undecided), Arms Master and the 3 Auto-Ma.. buff skills. I kind of prefer having the orb on someone else though since Joker doesn't really need it at this point. Even if you don't use Yoshitsune, Satanael's resist all combined with the magic resist on the Tantric Oath armor you get from putting Satan in the Electric chair makes most damage a complete non-issue, and moreso if you combine it with Divine Pillar's half all damage which drops from The Reaper (provided they stack, haven't actually tried). I'll give the Orb one thing though, using it will let you use a wide variety of purely offensive personas without fear of dying which is a lot less monotonous that just using Hassou Tobi every fight.

The problem with breaking the game is that it doesn't really matter what you do anymore, so all the options just lead to decision paralysis for me :v:

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 23, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's a discussion in the spoiler thread about the game's pacing and the incentive to do dungeons in one day, but it's not spoilery so I figured I'd post my thoughts here.

What I'd like is for the next Persona game to incentivize doing dungeons over multiple days--not force, but encourage--while making dungeons something that help the social side of the game. Right now it's one-way: your social links help you be stronger in combat. So why not make combat help you progress the social side of the game? Things like:
  • At certain points in each dungeon, you have the opportunity to leave the dungeon to accomplish something outside of it that makes the next part either easier or more rewarding. You don't have to, but the rewards are worth it.
  • Your party can eat food before going into a dungeon that provides buffs, but the buffs only last a certain number of fights or something. I'm not as sold on this idea, it could end up too similar to the tiredness stuff from Persona 3, but maybe it could work.
  • Dungeons take the role of Persona 5's Fortune confidant in that there are things you can do in dungeons to accelerate your social stat and social link rank-ups. Maybe you could practice your social stats during demon negotiation to get bonus points, or find gifts for your social link friends that will help you reach the next rank-up. Basically make it so that time spent in dungeons isn't taking away from your ability to progress the game's social aspect, but rather helps it.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The food buffs where in P2 and I almost always forget it exists since they wear off mid dungeon.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly I'd be more willing to do dungeons in multiple days if visits raised my social stats.

Like if I had gotten +2 Guts for every time I went into a dungeon or Mementos shiitttt I'd have been the bravest son of a bitch in all of Tokyo by the time Spring exams started.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Really it needs to be broken down to buffs coming out of combat encounters. Stepping up to kill the big flaming Shadows nets you +1 to Guts for going after something way above your level. Successfully negotiating for money or items X times in a row gets you +1 Charm. That kind of thing. Not big stacking buffs, but just small gradual increases like the rest of the methods in the game.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Every baton pass with Joker gives you 1 confidant pip to the relevant party member, up to 3. Encourages you to spread around the love and dive into a dungeon when several people are too low to get the next rank with.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

At certain points in each dungeon, you have the opportunity to leave the dungeon to accomplish something outside of it that makes the next part either easier or more rewarding. You don't have to, but the rewards are worth it.
If you just did that and made the reward so good that you'd basically never not do it, I think you'd get pretty much exactly the behaviour you want, without adding any extra systems.

It could be as simple as Morgana or the Morgana-analogue stopping you at the halfway point and saying "Yo, if we leave real soon, you'll still have time to do something in the evening."

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Ugh. I've been neglecting Sun for most of the game and now he texts me saying he'll be too busy to meet me soon. Did I just gently caress up?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Ugh. I've been neglecting Sun for most of the game and now he texts me saying he'll be too busy to meet me soon. Did I just gently caress up?

Pretty much!

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I maxed Sun but is it because of elections that get called?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Really it needs to be broken down to buffs coming out of combat encounters. Stepping up to kill the big flaming Shadows nets you +1 to Guts for going after something way above your level. Successfully negotiating for money or items X times in a row gets you +1 Charm. That kind of thing. Not big stacking buffs, but just small gradual increases like the rest of the methods in the game.

I killed or negotiated nearly everything on my one-day clears so having rewards like this wouldn't help anything.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've read some people say they prefer the dungeons of Persona 4 and that blows my mind. Those loving labyrinths made me want to shoot myself

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
So did the second half of dungeon 3, and the entirely of dungeon 5 and 7. It's the main thing holding me off of ng+.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MinibarMatchman posted:

I've read some people say they prefer the dungeons of Persona 4 and that blows my mind. Those loving labyrinths made me want to shoot myself

The only thing I would say hurts P5's dungeons compared to P4's is that overall the stealth mechanics don't feel...great? There's a lot of clunky bits to them and I've had moments where I attempt to ambush an enemy only to hide behind something instead, and then I get noticed and ambushed myself. Overall the stealth doesn't add a lot to the dungeons, outside of the really great traversal and vertical exploration mechanics. In that sense, the relative simplicity of P4's dungeons might be more appealing, since it just cuts to the chase.

That'd be silly, though, 'cause this game's dungeon design is leaps and bounds better than P3 or P4.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Every baton pass with Joker gives you 1 confidant pip to the relevant party member, up to 3. Encourages you to spread around the love and dive into a dungeon when several people are too low to get the next rank with.

That would be pretty sweet.

Actually Baton Pass is the mechanic from this that I want to see expanded on the most, either in the next Persona game or whatever expanded version of Persona 5 comes about someday. I want it to be a baseline core mechanic with the game generally balanced around the player making good use of Baton Pass. A few things would probably need to be changed balance-wise, because it's definitely overpowered right now, but the idea of boss fights where the player needs to pass turns around the party effectively to hit different weaknesses or get as many turns as possible in between the boss's turns sounds really fun. I'm an absolute sucker for turn manipulation systems in turn-based battles, though.

If nothing else, it's a step closer to Press Turn, just with a more Persona-flavored, "friends fighting as a team" attitude to it.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 23, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd like P5 dungeons more if they didn't make me run around to find keys or whatever so much. It feels super tedious. Stealth mechanics need some work too.

Edit: Some of this would be alleviated if I didn't need to trigger a cutscene to spawn an enemy with a key in an area I've already been through. Seemed a bit silly that I had to do this several times in Kamoshida's Palace.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 23, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

When I first cleared Palace 5 I loved the theme of it and the music but it dragged on way too loving long and just ughh

Doing a NG+ run because I'm a crazy person (and playing alongside a friend) and I chunked it out insanely fast because I knew the solutions to everything. Like the dungeon wasn't actually as long as I thought and that was kinda weird. I'm hoping Palace 7 has a effect like that on me too but I know better.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I imagine any Persona game would really wipe someone out if they did a NG+ like even a month or two after beating it, since you already know how everything works and all the story beats. the games have always been long as poo poo but I think P4 felt longer to me because I can't remember a single thing about the characters besides "we love steak, chie is good, ha ha these girls are bad at cooking and kanji loves to knit"

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Well I'm just about to start Palace 5 and I'm not looking forward to it based on most of the posts here, although I did spend 3 straight hours in Memento's on my last play session so I can't imagine it will be worse than that. Also gently caress that Shadow Fukurai memento boss who Brain jacks your whole party and then somehow can 1 shot me. I was overleveled for like all the other bosses of Mementos but this fucker killed me like 25 times before I finally got some RNG that wasn't extreme bullshit. Only 1 party member could cure the brainwash so it was basically a loss anytime Makoto got converted unless one of the other S-Link status heal things procced on her.

One question though I'm nearing the end of the Temperance S-link and from what I can tell it looks like in order to max it I have to go the romantic option right? Does this mean that if I wanted to waifu only one other girl (Makoto) that I can't anymore? If so I'll probably just go harem at this point. I just can't exactly tell if I can get the free evenings after palaces without being romantic with her.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 23, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Scorps posted:

Well I'm just about to start Palace 5 and I'm not looking forward to it based on most of the posts here, although I did spend 3 straight hours in Memento's on my last play session so I can't imagine it will be worse than that. Also gently caress that Shadow Fukurai memento boss who Brain jacks your whole party and then somehow can 1 shot me. I was overleveled for like all the other bosses of Mementos but this fucker killed me like 25 times before I finally got some RNG that wasn't extreme bullshit. Only 1 party member could cure the brainwash so it was basically a loss anytime Makoto got converted unless one of the other S-Link status heal things procced on her.

One question though I'm nearing the end of the Temperance S-link and from what I can tell it looks like in order to max it I have to go the romantic option right? Does this mean that if I wanted to waifu only one other girl (Makoto) that I can't anymore? If so I'll probably just go harem at this point. I just can't exactly tell if I can get the free evenings after palaces without being romantic with her.

It is never mandatory to go romantic to max a Social Link.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you don't have to romance anyone. the game will go 'choose your words carefully' and then give you two options that are very clearly date her/don't date her. there is no gameplay difference between dating her and not dating her.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
OK great for some reason the list of confidant abilities I was looking at made it seem like only the romance option led to max, now I have to remain pure for Makoto lest I be tempted by lesser waifus. Although I do want to see the harem results also, either way I"ll be youtubing some stuff I guess no matter what. Thanks for the answers!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Oblivious posted:

It is never mandatory to go romantic to max a Social Link.

Except in Persona 3, where you have no choice but to be a cheating son of a bitch to every girl :v:.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except in Persona 3, where you have no choice but to be a cheating son of a bitch to every girl :v:.

Look none of them ever confront you about it so that means it's okay, right? :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I thought they could, though?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ChaosArgate posted:

I thought they could, though?

Only if you were a fool and didn't max one at a time.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, once you max out someone's social link, you never hang out with them again. Clearly, it doesn't count as cheating at that point! :pseudo:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doc Morbid posted:

Yeah, once you max out someone's social link, you never hang out with them again. Clearly, it doesn't count as cheating at that point! :pseudo:

You have achieved a permanent and irreplaceable bond... with the eight women you're loving on a regular basis.

At least FES didn't try and add Aigis to that list.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You have achieved a permanent and irreplaceable bond... with the eight women you're loving on a regular basis.

Yes it did. You even have a wierd sex scene with her were you touch her processor and she goes "I will turn off of the motor functions of my arms and legs while you do it otherwise they would be spasming"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I mean, at max rank she invites you up to her room and lets you touch her heart (literally... or, well, I don't know how the Papillon Heart works). That's kinda close enough.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 23, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meme Emulator posted:

Yes it did. You even have a wierd sex scene with her were you touch her processor and she goes "I will turn off of the motor functions of my arms and legs while you do it otherwise they would be spasming"

Oh drat, I forgot about "taking off her bow" :stare:.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

You also end up burning your hand in the process, so I think it might be slightly irresponsible on the main character's part to do that the night before he has to fight the avatar of death and destruction.

(I'm surely not the only one who maxed out that link on the last possible day)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wow dude the guy who tortures and kills cats is hosed Up and him existing upset me. Even if I killed his shadow.

Also for some reason I never got the request for him on my first playthrough.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Mr. Steal ya heart.

dog house
Sep 13, 2012

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Wow dude the guy who tortures and kills cats is hosed Up and him existing upset me. Even if I killed his shadow.

Also for some reason I never got the request for him on my first playthrough.

Yeah, but how about the guy who cheats in video games? Pretty hosed up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kurtofan posted:

I'm up to 11/20, should I spill the beans or not

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Thus far I've been pleased with all the awakened Personas I've unlocked. It is bitter sweet only because you lose their really cool starter persona as well. For the next game I wonder if they could make your allies having multiple Persona manageable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

JackDarko posted:

Thus far I've been pleased with all the awakened Personas I've unlocked. It is bitter sweet only because you lose their really cool starter persona as well. For the next game I wonder if they could make your allies having multiple Persona manageable?

That hasn't been a thing in Persona since the second game, I believe?