Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Every time I watch a series of Modern matches with a deck that uses Mishra's Bauble, I always wish it could be a Spellbomb instead. If it weren't for that fuckin zero, I bet it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

Every time I watch a series of Modern matches with a deck that uses Mishra's Bauble, I always wish it could be a Spellbomb instead. If it weren't for that fuckin zero, I bet it would be.

That and it replacing itself for free, which spellbomb can't. I've been looking at abzan midrange decklists online lately and seeing a lot with 1-2 spellbomb main though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Doublepostin but I was just looking at the bizarre results from the modern classic last weekend. Top 8 is some normal looking decks except the UB fairies deck and then the Mono-Black zombies deck. It lists 4 gifted aetherborn, don't know if that's right or it got played to give extra devotion for the single grey merchant and block goyfs. A second fairies deck in top 16 and the hardened scales affinity deck that's been discussed here as well.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fingers McLongDong posted:

That and it replacing itself for free, which spellbomb can't. I've been looking at abzan midrange decklists online lately and seeing a lot with 1-2 spellbomb main though.

Yeah, it's being able to do everything it needs to for free is why Bauble is so ubiquitous. It's just such a lame card to play and people only play with it because they have to and not because they want to. I'd so much rather return a blocker to hand or put two damage in an opponent's face than look at the top card of a library.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Bauble also gives you a psuedo scry since the deck plays so many fetchlands.

Some builds are playing architects of will as an extra bauble or a budget replacement, that seems a lot better than a spellbomb.

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

I'm sorry for the dumb rule question, but I'm going to play against a dnt player as my lands; does cycle count against something like Spirit of the Labyrinth?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Into the Ocean posted:

I'm sorry for the dumb rule question, but I'm going to play against a dnt player as my lands; does cycle count against something like Spirit of the Labyrinth?

Yes. If you've already drawn a card this turn, you won't be able to draw a card when the cycling ability resolves. I'd also recommend not casting Brainstorm.

Note that you can cycle one card on your opponent's turn and still get to draw that way.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Also if you never draw an actual card from your deck you can dredge as many times as you want. But once you've drawn a card you can't dredge anymore.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

it also doesn't stop other abilities of cards. so for example if you ponder, you still get to do all of the ponder stuff except for the line "draw a card." this is why the poster two above me recommends not casting a brainstorm, since you still gotta put two back

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
T-t-t-tournament report. Played some Vintage today; only 14 players because of Easter, so it was 4 rounds with a cut to Top 4. I played UWR Mentor Gush (no proxies, foiled out, first time with the deck). I fully expect it'll also be my last time with the deck, because how can Gush stay unrestricted? Fingers crossed it sticks around.

List:
code:
3 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 Monastery Mentor
(Creature ) 6

4 Flooded Strand
1 Island
1 Library Of Alexandria
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Strip Mine
3 Tundra
3 Volcanic Island
(Land ) 16

1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
2 Dack Fayden
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
(Planeswalker) 4

1 Ancestral Recall
1 Black Lotus
1 Brainstorm
1 Dig Through Time
4 Force Of Will
2 Gitaxian Probe
3 Gush
3 Mental Misstep
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Ponder
3 Preordain
2 Pyroblast
2 Stony Silence
3 Swords To Plowshares
1 Time Walk
1 Treasure Cruise
(Other ) 34

1 Balance
3 Containment Priest
1 Disenchant
2 Fragmentize
2 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Mindbreak Trap
1 Plains
1 Pyroblast
1 Rest in Peace
1 Stony Silence
1 Swords To Plowshares
(Sideboard ) 15
Round 1: Grixis Control (won 2-1)

Lost the first game to going second, losing the fast mana race, and not having an immediate answer to a Blightsteel Colossus. Won the other two, off the back of a Lotus'd out Mentor on turn 1 in game 2, and then a Library of Alexandria turn 1 in game 3. My BM of the night was going "I'll tap this to draw 1. Is that how this works? This seems broken." I'd never activated a Library before.

1-0

Round 2: Merfolk (won 2-0)

This was a Standard player that had borrowed one of the store's decks. He piloted it fine, in that he threw all the Merfolk from his hand onto the battlefied. Game 1 he got my health fairly low, but a Mentor raced him pretty handily. Game 2 he got stuck on a single Island which I stripmined, and a turn 2 Dack Fayden ran away with the match.

2-0

Round 3: Mod Squad Workshops (lost 0-2)

Ho boy, I was not prepared for this. Game 1 I got hit with the turn 1 Chalice for 0 and Revoker naming Dack. In my hand? 3 moxen and a Dack. Game 2 I got an early Stony Silence... and got beat to death with Revokers and Factories and a Ballista. Got schooled pretty good on how to board, what to mulligan for, etc after the match was over. We had a lot of time left.

2-1

Round 4: BUG Gush (won 2-0)

The first game had a decent back and forth with removal and some counter wars, but I hit a critical mass of planeswalkers and ground out a win. Game two was much faster, with a Lotus'd out Mentor and then Chandra nuking their Leovold (or was it a Deathrite and I countered the Leovold? Forget.) Swords to Plowshares and Pyroblast just seemed way better than any of their ways to interact with my cards.

3-1

Semi-Finals: Mod Squad Workshops (won 2-0)

Made it into the Top 4, and got my revenge on Shops. Mulligan'd into one of the Stony Silences and a hand full of land and cantrips, and found all the tools for the job. Game two they had to mull to 5, kept a no-lander, and I very quickly found a Silence and a Mentor. I still probably wasn't aggressive enough in fetching for basics, but it didn't end up biting me.

Finals: UWR Mentor (split, unplayed)

4-1-1, 1st Place (tied)

Ville Valo fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 17, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Ville Valo posted:

I fully expect it'll also be my last time with the deck, because how can Gush stay unrestricted? Fingers crossed it sticks around.

Nice suicidesteve bait. Did you ever see the Chandra? Hadn't seen her in vintage yet.

Congrats on the good finish especially for your first time in a new format.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Pontius Pilate posted:

Nice suicidesteve bait. Did you ever see the Chandra? Hadn't seen her in vintage yet.

I've been playing Vintage since the start of the year. I'd just been playing 4-color Leo Gush till now.

Chandra came up in my match against BUG Gush, where she nuked some critters, but I didn't get to cheat her out early for mana. The deck designer describes her as a "non-blue haymaker" (hence hard to remove) and I'm inclined to agree.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I won my first vintage tournament :smuggo:

Pontius Pilate posted:

But yeah, this. I can't wait for them to restrict Mentor and keep Gush around and leave Lodestone restricted because they're terrible and have no idea what they're doing!

I'm not sold on Chandra. You've already got 3 non-blue haymakers and Gideon is probably better than her.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 17, 2017

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Those three get fatal-pushed, swordsed, etc. Gideon is an option but he doesn't make mana if you cheat him out on the first turn, which seems relevant.

If Mentor goes and Gush doesn't I'm so prepared to play Leovold Gush again.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

please play an honorable blue deck, like Landstill

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

What are you casting for RR on turn 1 if you play Lotus, Chandra? Do you also have Mox, Mentor or Dack because if so I think there was a better way to sequence things.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

please play an honorable blue deck, like Landstill

I'm not sure that's a thing in Vintage? :confused:

suicidesteve posted:

What are you casting for RR on turn 1 if you play Lotus, Chandra? Do you also have Mox, Mentor or Dack because if so I think there was a better way to sequence things.

Land, Lotus, Chandra, Mox, Mentor seems like a good turn 1. Are you thinking 4-drop Gideon is better? Some other options are Stony Silence #4 (might cut Balance for that) or another Mentor, or a Snapcaster... not sure. I'm not thinking about it too hard until the next B&R announcement.

Ville Valo fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 17, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

I'm not sure that's a thing in Vintage? :confused:

It won Champs.

Ville Valo posted:

Land, Lotus, Chandra, Mox, Mentor seems like a good turn 1. Are you thinking 4-drop Gideon is better? Some other options are Stony Silence #4 (might cut Balance for that) or another Mentor, or a Snapcaster... not sure. I'm not thinking about it too hard until the next B&R announcement.

I think in that scenario Gideon would be better and I think turn 1 Mentor, Mox, land, go would be better.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

suicidesteve posted:

It won Champs.

I think in that scenario Gideon would be better and I think turn 1 Mentor, Mox, land, go would be better.

Hah, I'm so out of the loop. I don't think anyone plays that at my store, it's all Gush, Shops and Paradoxical Storm.

We're talking Ally of Zendikar, yeah?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

Hah, I'm so out of the loop. I don't think anyone plays that at my store, it's all Gush, Shops and Paradoxical Storm.

We're talking Ally of Zendikar, yeah?

Yeah, it's Mentor and decks that "beat" Mentor except they both auto-lose to Stony Silence. And yes, 4 mana Gideon.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah, it's Mentor and decks that "beat" Mentor except they both auto-lose to Stony Silence. And yes, 4 mana Gideon.

Champion's 4 too, no? Or is that one written off so much it's not even considered.

I'll pick one up and try it out, assuming the deck survives unrestricted.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

Champion's 4 too, no? Or is that one written off so much it's not even considered.

I'll pick one up and try it out, assuming the deck survives unrestricted.

Yeah, nobody has ever cast Gatecrash Gideon. And tbh I forgot it existed and cost 4 mana. Another nice thing about Gideon is his emblem nullifies Sulfur Elemental/Dread of Night.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
That's certainly an upside as I ran into several this weekend. So many dead tokens... not that I ever lost a game to one.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

http://imgur.com/a/1rWCh

The sweet tech of getting your opponent to play a combo piece for you.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wat. You had grindstone down and they played servant? :psyduck:

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Wat. You had grindstone down and they played servant? :psyduck:

They played t1 Painter on the play, I played Grindstone on my turn 1. They actually had a turn 2 Grindstone kill but needed to tap a mana to Pyroblast my Force of Will on their Grindstone, so they had to pass and I had Time Walk into the kill.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 18, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Finished up modern league today and won $150. Feels good man.

Top 8:

R1 vs Burn
I was the lower seed so my opponent went first.

G1: mulled to 5 kept a 2 lander and only drew 3 and 4 drops

Side in: 2x blessed alliance 2x rhox war monk
Side out: 3x phantasmal image 1x path

G2: I don't see any sideboard cards, but I play the tempo game spell quelling everything with rattlechains and drogskol captain.

G3: I see a war monk and a blessed alliance and those two cards are
Good enough to swing the game back in my favor.

Win 2-1

Top 4 vs affinity.
I'm once again the lower seed so my opponent has the play.

G1: I keep a decent hand but draw land and get run over as affinity tends to do.

Board in: 2x stony silence, 2x kataki, 3x qasali pridemage
Board out: 4x wanderer 3x phantasmal

G2: T1 I go land heirarch, my opponent goes T1 land thoughtseize and takes a queller. I skillfully topdeck and play a stony silence followed by a kataki, eat poo poo.

G3: opponent plays but has a slower hand that relies on steel overseer, which I path and then coco into kataki. I spell quell two ravagers, and go to town.
Win 2-1

Finals vs Jund
I'm finally the higher seed so I take the play (very important)

G1: I get T1 land heirarch, which doesn't get bolted, and I don't face a T1 discard spell. So I immediately run out a T2 Geist gently caress the police you can't Lilly that fast.

Board out: 2x phantasmal 2x Geist
Side in: 2x Rest In Peace, 2x war monk

G2: I mull to 5 and eat a T1 discard spell and get junded out. Rest In Peace does great work against goyf though.

Geist get traded back in, war monks out (this is a slight mistake, I think I take the Rest In Peace out and keep the heist and war monk in the future)

G3: mull to 6. Play tempo mausoleum wanderer into rattlechains into double selfless spirit into Geist vs double goyf on the opponents side. Block a goyf and sac a selfless leaves me at 5, opponent with 1 card in hand, and me with the lethal crack back.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Nice job! I'm curious, why do you want war monk vs jund? I'd probably have done 2 rip 2 geist after boarding, Liliana seems bad for killing geist when you have that many creatures and rip/path mean goyfs don't do a good job stopping it. Isn't monk just open to more removal?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Nice job! I'm curious, why do you want war monk vs jund? I'd probably have done 2 rip 2 geist after boarding, Liliana seems bad for killing geist when you have that many creatures and rip/path mean goyfs don't do a good job stopping it. Isn't monk just open to more removal?

Survives bolt, blocks goyf, gains life. On the draw I think the geists can safely come out. If Jund on the play goes T1 inquisition, T2 removal or bob or goyf, T3 Lilly you have a tough time coming back.

On the play I can see keeping war monk and Geist and rest in peace and cutting the 3x image and 1x any other card. Sometimes you have to out grind jund, I can see war monk doing that.

Survives lightning bolt is pretty good. But like I said, I may not be right (I should do more practice against Jund). Although it feels like a 60/40 in my favour even though I'm not playing steel of the godhead.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah the matchup seems fine for you regardless. I guess I don't like war monk there because it turns on decay/terminate/pulse and I imagine the average goyf being 4/5. Seems to have worked on for you though! How were the leagues structured? When we do leagues here it lasts a month, play when you can, and is a point system. Sometimes worse players do ok in league because they can show up more than others and we don't have any kind of tournament at the end.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Yeah the matchup seems fine for you regardless. I guess I don't like war monk there because it turns on decay/terminate/pulse and I imagine the average goyf being 4/5. Seems to have worked on for you though! How were the leagues structured? When we do leagues here it lasts a month, play when you can, and is a point system. Sometimes worse players do ok in league because they can show up more than others and we don't have any kind of tournament at the end.

We had 20 people show up with a $20 buy-in. Deck lists were kept a secret round one, then posted after. Matchups were posted once per week and you had a week to contact your opponent, set up your match, play it and report it. I think we did 4 or 5 rounds then a cut to top 8. Prizing was paid to top 4 ($50 to 3rd and 4th, $100 for 2nd, $200 for first, I asked if my opponent wanted to split the finals for $150 each and they agreed) So all told it took 7 weeks or so, I played my top 4 and finals matches in the same day so we could wrap up the tourney.

So it was basically just a 20 person modern tournament spread across several weeks with a cash payout structured for the top 4.

I'm going to spend $20 of my prize money and make a "League Champion" belt that I will pass off to the next person who beats me at magic.

Also for some reason Spirits was wildly over-represented in the meta with 4 people on the deck, so a healthy 20%

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm trying to brew with Nissa in modern for decks that aren't Tron or Elves... those are the logical homes for her AFAICT, but I like brewing random jank. I've been thinking about cobbling together a Temur Delver list and jamming a couple in there with the thought that I could skate with a slightly higher-than-normal creature count on the grounds that she gives you a little extra dig to find something to flip your delvers, and you need that creature count to make her 0 not terrible. I'm not married to a Delver list, though, just something with Tarmogoyfs and probably Heirarchs and some hootie. Any thoughts?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I'm trying to brew with Nissa in modern for decks that aren't Tron or Elves... those are the logical homes for her AFAICT, but I like brewing random jank. I've been thinking about cobbling together a Temur Delver list and jamming a couple in there with the thought that I could skate with a slightly higher-than-normal creature count on the grounds that she gives you a little extra dig to find something to flip your delvers, and you need that creature count to make her 0 not terrible. I'm not married to a Delver list, though, just something with Tarmogoyfs and probably Heirarchs and some hootie. Any thoughts?

Why not something like a hybrid Scapeshift/Titanshift style of deck. Ramp means you can cast her for bigger numbers, bigger numbers means you can put bigger creatures into play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If you want to play her you want to at least be running Hierarchs alongside so she can flip something even at the lowest mode.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Nissa Nic Fit, make it happen.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Resleeved my Vintage deck in KMC Perfect Hards today, and it's definitely better protected now. The problem is that it no longer fits in my UltraPro Pro-Deck Box, and all the work (and money) into foiling it out has basically been undone. It's so tough to get light to hit the cards right for foiling to show up at all with the thicker, cloudier Hards.

Any extra-large deck box recommendations? Preferably something with like one big compartment for the deck, and one smaller one for Mentor tokens, or just one large compartment. I don't want to do a double-box and break the deck in half when I put it away.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
i like the dex protection line

http://dexprotection.com/

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

eSporks posted:

Nissa Nic Fit, make it happen.

If Tropical Islands weren't a billion pounds each, I'd have already swapped to BUG NIC FIT for Legacy, and would absolutely be testing Nissa.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Well, it was fun while it lasted. Gitaxian Probe and Gush restricted in Vintage. Sensei's Top banned in Legacy.

That only changes 3 cards in my Vintage list; hopefully the deck is still playable. I'm definitely bringing Elves to the next Legacy event, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
RIP MIracles