Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I said come in! posted:

Sex havers deserve to die.

Can confirm, this is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CJacobs posted:

If I ever have a child I'm going to name them Emil so that they can live forever and have the saddest possible life.

i want to have a dozen kids and name them all after minor non-recurring phoenix wright characters

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

smw is actually not a very good game because it has way too many autoscrollers

yoshi's island is better

It has about as many as YI and SMB3

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ZYnfmoxrc

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

In Training posted:

It has about as many as YI and SMB3

this is possibly true b/c i haven't counted them but i remember the bad ones in SMW way more. possibly due to the fact that i never had SMW as a kid and only played it semi-recently

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

autoscrollers are extremely unfun

Wrong. Give me an entire game of just minecarts and rocket barrels please

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Macaluso posted:

Wrong. Give me an entire game of just minecarts and rocket barrels please
so you don't like axiom verge, and you like the absolute, without a doubt worst parts of the donkey kong country games by a country mile...wow, looks like you've activated the POOR TASTE ALARM!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The mine cart levels in DKC are only bad because the developers made the incredibly stupid decision of stopping the player's momentum on a dime when you get hit but don't die. Somehow, they have made this mistake in every DKC game in a different, equally frustrating way.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Not in DKCR, which has some of the best minecart levels ever. I would love a captain toad sized game of DKCR minecart levels.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

this is possibly true b/c i haven't counted them but i remember the bad ones in SMW way more. possibly due to the fact that i never had SMW as a kid and only played it semi-recently

YI has the Extremely Long Cave which is only extremely long because the autoscrolling doesn't let you leave the level in 30 seconds.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Super Mario World was my very first video game. I must've been 3. My brother got a Super Nintendo for his seventh birthday. We were at my grandfather's, they must've hooked up the system to the small TV in the basement. They let me play the first level. Didn't know how to jump, got ambushed by that first shell-less Koopa that slides down the first hill, and cried.

Humble beginnings to a very lucrative career as an amateur video game player!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yoshi's island is better

Yoshis islands castle mazes are the worst type of mario level in this posters opinion

Also mario 3 has the sweetest power ups

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Yoshis islands castle mazes are the worst type of mario level in this posters opinion

Also mario 3 has the sweetest power ups

When they added keys to Mario maker I immediately started making clones of that castle in YI. I love that level

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe its just the castle music that gets me

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What was your first video game?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

The first game and system I owned was the SNES and Mario World but the first game I played ever was Magmax for NES, which is a godawful shootemup

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Glowing brain meme:

-First Nintendo was an NES
-First Nintendo was an N64
-First Nintendo was a Wii
-First Nintendo was Pokemon GO

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everybody. :\ I'm not doing well at the moment at all to be completely honest. How are the rest of you doing? I'm hoping the rest of you are having a good Sunday.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I had a Pac Man game shaped like Pac Man, I don't think it was LCD, one of the even earlier light up things? I dunno what they're called.
I think I played something with a hammer in an arcade first? I was maybe like 5 or 6 so.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I think the first game I played was Mario all stars. But my literal earliest memory is wanting to play Primal Rage on the Snes, which was sitting on the tv cabinet out of my reach because it was deemed too violent for a 3 or 4 year old(i dont know how old I was but it was before kindergarten, which I started at 5)

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Ice Climbers in a department store around 1987.

I'm still extremely bad at the game.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

YI has the Extremely Long Cave which is only extremely long because the autoscrolling doesn't let you leave the level in 30 seconds.

ya you're right, this level is extremely bad and i always forget about it

Jay Rust posted:

smb for the nes, appropriately. i feel like that's a pretty good First Game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Probably one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZW0A3zFUTU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Qum5LMyMI

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi everybody. :\ I'm not doing well at the moment at all to be completely honest. How are the rest of you doing? I'm hoping the rest of you are having a good Sunday.

There's like a 50% chance I could be losing my job in the next few weeks but it's actually a huge relief to know that because after weeks of walking on eggshells waiting for the shoe to drop I can kick back and rest easy knowing that worst case scenario I go on unemployment for a few months since everything's above board and it's only going to be easier to find a new job this time now that I have several years of full-time employment in an actual field under my belt.

I mostly try and keep personal stuff, well, personal since it's both incredibly boring and also because I shitpost on the forums to get away from real-life but I see a lot of younger posters getting (rightfully) stressed out about staying in college and finding jobs and winding up back with their parents or homeless and while it's easily as lovely and stressful as life can get for a lot of people it can also get a lot better and you have to hang in there even when things seem totally hopeless and awful.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

First console I ever owned was the Atari 2600, I had Tennis, Millipede, Moon Patrol and Crystal Castles. Moon Patrol was my favourite.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm doing alright, redid like 4 hours of lost LP footage due to file corruption and it went better the second time to my surprise. What's up man?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

does a pc count as a first console cause if so thats the one

"That was epic for the win..." - 4 Year Old Ostentatious on the Vortex Rikers reveal in Unreal

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on the SNES. My badass older cousin snuck me away from the boring parents and showed 5 year old me all the fatalities.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

Myst

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

yoshi's island is better

Autoscrollers used to really stress me out as a kid (especially that saw level in dkc3!) but as an adult I think they're alright most of the time, even if doing well means a lot of waiting around. Minecart levels are tops though

Jay Rust posted:

Kirby's Dream Land

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

When they added keys to Mario maker I immediately started making clones of that castle in YI. I love that level

When they added keys was when random level playing at higher levels went from bad to insufferable because trying to figure out which enemy has the right key or what hidden block has the key or having an extremely long level where you need to get keys or coins to get keys was awful with the combined bad level design of the higher difficulties.

Jay Rust posted:

Thanks to Jeff Gerstmann, I remembered it was one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4XndQf6NnU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Probably Battle Chess or an early version of Flight Simulator on a grade-school friend's PC.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jay Rust posted:

Does the 3D Maze screensaver count?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

My first games were a bunch on our old 486 like Jumpman and Rocky's Boots and Asteroids and stuff like that. The first game that was ever mine personally was Sim City 2000, right when it came out. I convinced my dad to buy me SimCity (Classic) because it had some level of educational value and when we got to Egghead Software they had a PC running 2000 and my dad was like "Well if this is the brand new one let's just get this" and I'm pretty sure that's what winning the lottery feels like.

And I get that weird sense of stressful relief that comes from being laid off through no fault of your own. It's a weird thing waking up and reevaluating your life plan while at the same time feeling relieved that you don't have to give a poo poo about all the problems from your old job anymore. With 2 kids, though, that'd be a different story if we didn't have unemployment/savings and if my wife didn't work too.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Mine was Sonic 2 when I was about 4. I remember really liking the colors.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

plz dont pull out posted:

Mine was Sonic 2 when I was about 4. I remember really liking the colors.

Yup, pretty much same here. I spent a lot of time 'playing' as Tails before my dad let me be Sonic. :shepface:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

I got a gift of a Game Boy Color and Tetris DX on my 5th birthday and it was awesome

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

First game was mario duck hunt. Xmas 1986.

Old age is hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i dunno which one was first but my first games were sonic, sonic 2, mean bean machine, mcdonald's treasure land adventure, and comix zone

• Locked thread