Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mymla posted:

Mass Effect isn't really an RPG series. You could make a case for it never having been one, but it definitely hasn't been one since ME3.

Is your definition of RPG "resource management game?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Weird how you've got about 200 posts on GotY 2017 that you actually like Horizon Zero Dawn, and a mere 700+ on something you haven't even played and utterly loathe.

Why is that? Why spend so much time on something you don't like, why not talk more about the actually good game that does so much right? I'm not even disagreeing there, HZD is one of the best things I've played in the last few years. I just don't understand the mentality, I'd much rather read posts from you about emergent gameplay, cool moments picking apart Thunderjaws, what a well written sack of poo poo Ted Faro is, etc than the low effort steaming dump badposts you're constantly dropping in here.

shut the gently caress up with this bullshit 'don't post if it's negative' crap lol

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Finally beat the game on insanity, and I would have to say its the best one since ME2 for me. I guess that's not saying much because of ME3, haha. At least the story is rebooted from the corner they wrote themselves into from the first games. And the game finally buried all the lovely stories they stole from KOTOR (the Spectre Jedi and the deep space True Sith Reapers). I really didn't mind that the paragon and renegade system was ditched either because that poo poo was lame as the closed fist and open palm systems(light side and dark side), too black and white. It was time for it to die, they had used it in every game since KOTOR. The intro, loyalty missions, and linear story missions had to be the best parts of the game. The middle of the game felt really stretched out.

Like ME1 and ME3 the whole game is set up for you to only use like one weapon and never switch. It might because that all the weapons suck rear end. I don't understand why they have so many ammo boxes around, managing ammo in ME2 had to be one of the best parts about its combat. I hope they can somehow make the gunplay more fun in future games. Didn't mind not being able to trigger squad mate abilities either because I pretty much used them on cd anyway.

Hopefully they do something fun with the DLC.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So I finished the game and there's a rollover bug in Nexus level, it displays -2,400 AVP needed to progress.

The ending was okay. It was a lot better than the middle parts.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

I don't understand why they have so many ammo boxes around, managing ammo in ME2 had to be one of the best parts about its combat.

:catstare:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I played the soldier class in ME2, haha. So I had like 3-4 guns. It was still better than never running out of ammo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There are people who don't modify coalesced to give infinite ammo and planet scanning rocks?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Drack and Vetra are the best companions because in addition to being cool, they both frequently prime targets so I can set off more explosions.

Meanwhile, Cora 100% of the time charges before my incinerate hits the target, missing the combo by a second or less.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cythereal posted:

There are people who don't modify coalesced to give infinite ammo and planet scanning rocks?

Personally I just make it so the freeze bomb thing never runs out of special ammo and call it a day.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Nasgate posted:

Drack and Vetra are the best companions because in addition to being cool, they both frequently prime targets so I can set off more explosions.

Meanwhile, Cora 100% of the time charges before my incinerate hits the target, missing the combo by a second or less.

lol at giving a single poo poo about what your companions do in combat other than absorb attention so you can do your thing.

My favorite pair so far is cora/peebee, because cora's a massive asari weeb and peebee just does not give a poo poo about her people.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

DancingShade posted:

Krogan engineer is also pretty good if you want to be a cover hugging support caster.

Bonus points for it being a non sexy female alien ugly thing which probably triggers people :v:

I think you're in the wrong thread, friend.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I just hit what I aim at

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

I just hit what I aim at

wow, smart guy here

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The fact that we can't elect to control squadmate powers is such a step back it ducking cracks me up that people are defending it

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

DancingShade posted:

Krogan engineer is also pretty good if you want to be a cover hugging support caster.

Bonus points for it being a non sexy female alien ugly thing which probably triggers people :v:

Hey whatever you want to think, pal

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Arglebargle III posted:

So I finished the game and there's a rollover bug in Nexus level, it displays -2,400 AVP needed to progress.

Are you at level 20? There's a hard cap that the game never tells you about and then it just keeps accumulating negative AVP, lol

Guess those people are stuck in cryo forever

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

My favorite pair so far is cora/peebee, because cora's a massive asari weeb and peebee just does not give a poo poo about her people.
My favourite is Drack and whoever because I can go and make a cup of tea and come back and everything is dead.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Drack and Peebee have the best banter IMO. They're both comfortable with who they are, sassy and loving it

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Haledjian posted:

Guess those people are stuck in cryo forever

They gotta save some content for the dlc!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The fact that we can't elect to control squadmate powers is such a step back it ducking cracks me up that people are defending it

So is infinite ammo, but there's been 2 games so far with it back!

Mass effect will evolve into a rail shooter.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 23, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad I read about taking Drack to PB's loyalty mission, the scene with him in the life pod was great.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I like the vintage heat sink. You still have to manage ammo but its the drat future I dont give a gently caress!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Error 404 posted:

I like the vintage heat sink. You still have to manage ammo but its the drat future I dont give a gently caress!

How did the remnant even know what kind of ammo to leave around?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lt. Danger posted:

I just hit what I aim at

p significant upgrade from ME where sometimes you wouldn't!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Game bad effortpost

The way I see it there are a couple of separate but mutually overlapping central flaws.

Most glaring is polish. Open world games need sequence break testing; they didn't do it. Several quests are stuck on my journal because I approached the endpoint in a non-standard way, locking the intermediate parts from resolving, like following the scientists' path on Voeld or disabling alarms on Elaaden. More often than that I had to reload because a quest trigger broke entirely, including once or twice in a story mission (?!). And for every actual gamebreak, there's ten times as many incidents that consist of reaching an objective, triggering it, then triggering some intermediate dialogue on the way out that clearly should've either fired first or been disabled. Example: on Kadara there's a remnant vault where your objective is down a square-shaped corridor, so it's 50/50 whether the player goes left or right. Going left broke it, and required exiting down the right path to fix.

Less obvious but just as lazy are things like finding a bare and empty structure only to come back to it later to retrieve something from it (usually at the same time as a dropship of baddies). What's the point of having an open world if the player is going to be herded to things in a fixed order? ME4 mercilessly suffers the worst of both worlds in this regard because the player still feels like they're on rails, only the rails require long, painstaking driving over steep cliffs. Another example of lazy sequence breaking is duplicating characters: I was very confused when Sid wanted to meet with me but couldn't interact with her in Ops, until I realized she's somewhere else and you have to meet her there. Your sibling's up from cryo and the doctor says "you're on bed rest," then you immediately meet them standing in the cryo bay to talk about momsicle.

The interface and crafting system is just obnoxious for no reason. Why have two separate research paths for levels 1-5 and 6-10? Why even HAVE underleveled gear in the crafting menu? Why put the crafting, loadout, and appearance menus in three different places on the Tempest? Why make two of the three research trees totally useless for biotic characters so that Adepts/Vanguards are awash in Heleus/Remnant tech and carefully husbanding Milky Way tech?

Lack of polish would be fine if the structure of the game was ambitious. But it's just a cut-down Inquisition. There are five fleshed-out locations: Eos, Voeld, Kadara, and Elaaden; half credit each for Havarl and the low-g planetoid. Inquisition had twice as many and was developed in half the time! The worlds in Inquisition didn't also come with conspicuous optimization cheats like the ten-second doors of Kadara or the pointless breaking up of the Nexus into four different maps (two of which are mostly duplicates). There's very little actual exploration because so many of the fetch quests are sequence-locked. Almost every question mark you come across is just a generic Remnant site with a wave of baddies and a couple of chests. The vault puzzles are nice; why not have more of them at the monoliths or random remnant sites? As it is the monoliths are more annoying versions of the rift battles in Inquisition because Inquisition let you immediately close the rift once you beat the wave of baddies instead of platforming around to scan for goddamn space-runes.

The overworld galaxy is actively annoying on top of boring. While being able to tab-skip (part of) the ponderous, slow transitions is nice it's still the worst in any Mass Effect game; ME2 functioned similarly but at least it was snappy and not a pointless timesuck. The game flow of approach -> scan -> tell-don't-show some elaborate river system or hyuuuge (actually not huge) mineral deposit has no hook beyond ticking up the completion counter. My favorite was getting XP for scanning a very conspicuous crater, at which point you learn that it may have come from an asteroid impact! Really earning that XP. APEX missions are a riff on the War Table from DAI but lack even that dynamic's basic flavor; at least Inquisition sorta gave you multiple choices about how to resolve something.

I could forgive both polish and structure if there was a creative story being told. But here it's not even Mass Effect: Inquisition. It's Mass Effect: Voyager. It tries to hang a soft reboot of the original by flinging the ship into the unknown but since they're not actually interested in telling new stories and want to rehash old dynamics it ends up sterile and weak. Once you get past the prologue, the Nexus kicks on and is almost immediately functional on the exact same level as the Citadel, complete with reporters, bartenders, and PA announcers. The game never recaptures the sense of "holy poo poo, things are hanging by a thread" in favor of racing right back to the comfort zone of ME1. Only with no depth, because all the peripheral species are waiting for DLC and have been replaced by the single angara/kett dynamic which also never really generates any heat since it's a weaker version of the Collectors in ME2.

The main characters might have brought salvation but most are written like they drew one to three traits from a sack and then geared all the writing around it (another trait shared with Voyager). The few characters that do work are because they echo established Bioware archetypes. I can't blame them too much for filing the serial numbers off Wrex, but at the same time, they had the same temptation in ME2 and managed to write Grunt, who was different but still compelling. Jaal is the only one who comes out with any depth and that's mostly because he's the cipher for learning about the angara. He's inoffensive but never really compelling. Your crew are even more blatantly thin sketches. I was half expecting a ~spiritual~ Chakotay episode for Suvi. The story and loyalty missions are just... okay. Mostly since it's the only part that shows a modicum of effort. But there's still not as much to them as there was in ME2 or ME3. Half of them are set up exactly the same way: linear fights ending with a single decision of "do I kill whoever's giving them a hard time."

There's so little reactivity or creativity that this would be a mediocre game by 2012 standards.

In conclusion: Wait for the DLC. Hopefully it won't involve Kallo kidnapping you and turning you both into salamanders.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 23, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

They didn't. Everyone carries a universal constructor on their arm.

I don't blame people for not reading the codex, this does pop up the very first time you use an alien ammo box though!

quote:

Field Repurposing
With limited cargo space aboard the arks for specialized gear, and facing unknown dangers in Andromeda, the Initiative's philosophy is 'adapt to succeed.' Colonists are required to have a wide variety of skills. Equipment and weapons are expected to perform multiple functions.

However. this adaptability is fueled by non-renewable resources like ammunition, medi-gel, and power cells. Knowing they would not be readily available in Andromeda, in an emergency, the Initiative's omni-tools can recover and repurpose appropriate resources to serve a similar function. Liquid coolant allows weapon heat sinks to be re-used; organic compounds can be refined into medi-gel, and so on.

When these resources are available, the user is alerted via an interface between the user’s scanner and their HUD.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I kind of like that they made vetra the ship mom and Drack the ship grandad. Over three games or whatever it's gonna really feel like a family. Shame about Lexi who is undoubtedly going to get Pressley'd 9 minutes into MEA2

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Elotana posted:

Game bad effortpost

The way I see it there are a couple of separate but mutually overlapping central flaws.

Most glaring is polish. Open world games need sequence break testing; they didn't do it. Several quests are stuck on my journal because I approached the endpoint in a non-standard way, locking the intermediate parts from resolving, like following the scientists' path on Voeld or disabling alarms on Elaaden. More often than that I had to reload because a quest trigger broke entirely, including once or twice in a story mission (?!). And for every actual gamebreak, there's ten times as many incidents that consist of reaching an objective, triggering it, then triggering some intermediate dialogue on the way out that clearly should've either fired first or been disabled. Example: on Kadara there's a remnant vault where your objective is down a square-shaped corridor, so it's 50/50 whether the player goes left or right. Going left broke it, and required exiting down the right path to fix.

Less obvious but just as lazy are things like finding a bare and empty structure only to come back to it later to retrieve something from it (usually at the same time as a dropship of baddies). What's the point of having an open world if the player is going to be herded to things in a fixed order? ME4 mercilessly suffers the worst of both worlds in this regard because the player still feels like they're on rails, only the rails require long, painstaking driving over steep cliffs. Another example of lazy sequence breaking is duplicating characters: I was very confused when Sid wanted to meet with me but couldn't interact with her in Ops, until I realized she's somewhere else and you have to meet her there. Your sibling's up from cryo and the doctor says "you're on bed rest," then you immediately meet them standing in the cryo bay to talk about momsicle.

The interface and crafting system is just obnoxious for no reason. Why have two separate research paths for levels 1-5 and 6-10? Why even HAVE underleveled gear in the crafting menu? Why put the crafting, loadout, and appearance menus in three different places on the Tempest? Why make two of the three research trees totally useless for biotic characters so that Adepts/Vanguards are awash in Heleus/Remnant tech and carefully husbanding Milky Way tech?

Lack of polish would be fine if the structure of the game was ambitious. But it's just a cut-down Inquisition. There are five fleshed-out locations: Eos, Voeld, Kadara, and Elaaden; half credit each for Havarl and the low-g planetoid. Inquisition had twice as many and was developed in half the time! The worlds in Inquisition didn't also come with conspicuous optimization cheats like the ten-second doors of Kadara or the pointless breaking up of the Nexus into four different maps (two of which are mostly duplicates). There's very little actual exploration because so many of the fetch quests are sequence-locked. Almost every question mark you come across is just a generic Remnant site with a wave of baddies and a couple of chests. The vault puzzles are nice; why not have more of them at the monoliths or random remnant sites? As it is the monoliths are more annoying versions of the rift battles in Inquisition because Inquisition let you immediately close the rift once you beat the wave of baddies instead of platforming around to scan for goddamn space-runes.

The overworld galaxy is actively annoying on top of boring. While being able to tab-skip (part of) the ponderous, slow transitions is nice it's still the worst in any Mass Effect game; ME2 functioned similarly but at least it was snappy and not a pointless timesuck. The game flow of approach -> scan -> tell-don't-show some elaborate river system or hyuuuge (actually not huge) mineral deposit has no hook beyond ticking up the completion counter. My favorite was getting XP for scanning a very conspicuous crater, at which point you learn that it may have come from an asteroid impact! Really earning that XP. APEX missions are a riff on the War Table from DAI but lack even that dynamic's basic flavor; at least Inquisition sorta gave you multiple choices about how to resolve something.

I could forgive both polish and structure if there was a creative story being told. But here it's not even Mass Effect: Inquisition. It's Mass Effect: Voyager. It tries to hang a soft reboot of the original by flinging the ship into the unknown but since they're not actually interested in telling new stories and want to rehash old dynamics it ends up as a sterile and weak. Once you get past the prologue, the Nexus kicks on and is almost immediately functional on the exact same level as the Citadel, complete with reporters, bartenders, and PA announcers. The game never recaptures the sense of "holy poo poo, things are hanging by a thread" in favor of racing right back to the comfort zone of ME1. Only with no depth, because all the peripheral species are waiting for DLC and have been replaced by the single angara/kett dynamic which also never really generates any heat since it's a weaker version of the Collectors in ME2.

The main characters might have brought salvation but most are written like they drew one to three traits from a sack and then geared all the writing around it (another trait shared with Voyager). The few characters that do work are because they echo established Bioware archetypes. I can't blame them too much for filing the serial numbers off Wrex, but at the same time, they had the same temptation in ME2 and managed to write Grunt, who was different but still compelling. Jaal is the only one who comes out with any depth and that's mostly because he's the cipher for learning about the angara. He's inoffensive but never really compelling. Your crew are even more blatantly thin sketches. I was half expecting a ~spiritual~ Chakotay episode for Suvi. The story and loyalty missions are just... okay. Mostly since it's the only part that shows a modicum of effort. But there's still not as much to them as there was in ME2 or ME3. Half of them are set up exactly the same way: linear fights ending with a single decision of "do I kill whoever's giving them a hard time."

There's so little reactivity or creativity that this would be a mediocre game by 2012 standards.

In conclusion: Wait for the DLC. Hopefully it won't involve Kallo kidnapping you and turning you both into salamanders.

Lots of words to say "this game loving sucks"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thoroughly agree with your issue with the open world quest design. Exploration is punished rather than rewarded because most of the quest areas just don't trigger unless you already picked it up from a questgiver with an exclamation point on their head back at the hub. Compare to Inquisition where most quests can be "picked up" at the site of the action or from a questgiver elsewhere.

Like, in Inquisition there's a side dungeon in the Emerald Graves that involves exploring some elven ruins. You can get a quest to go and do it from the Dalish camp in the Exalted Marches. They arrange to send some Dalish hunters to meet you at the entrance, but when you get there, the Dalish detachment is all dead outside the entrance and you can explore the ruins to see what killed them.

Or, if you stumble on the entrance to the ruins while exploring the Emerald Graves, you just find some dead elves and the Inquisitor comments on it and suggests exploring the ruins. You can get "pointed" to the quest or you can stumble on it and do it, but the game doesn't ask you to do a frustrating MMO loop of picking up quests and then going to resolve them in order to play the content. It's so much more conducive to open world exploration than Andromeda's model. One of my main issues with the game - you don't feel like just driving around and exploring the world is worthwhile because you know you won't be able to do anything that isn't already an objective marker on your map.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lots of words to say "this game loving sucks"

I don't know, at this point you have to have written at least as many.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

remusclaw posted:

I don't know, at this point you have to have written at least as many.

Aw, wittle baby mad his game is total poo poo?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I wish I liked anything as much as you like to hate this game.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 23, 2017

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I've been recently thinking that a game revolving around going into dungeons to create data entries for monsters and leaving behind health potions and appropriate loot. All while avoiding combat so the heroes get to fight the monsters. It sounds rad in my head.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Avalanche posted:

The real problem with the game is that it plays way too much like PS3-Xbox 360 era Mass Effect and everyone was expecting a lot more with a new console generation aside from "There's a Z axis now and the player can jump!", prettier textures, and multiplayer that is basically a copy/paste job of ME3 multiplayer. The game is just simply dated.

ME:A would of probably received review scores in the 90s if it was released in 2014.

That's probably quite fair. Every now and then it helps to remember that exponential growth in a field creates unreasonable expectations, and it doesn't help when you take 5 years to do a game you should have been able to do in 2 years max.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Aw, wittle baby mad his game is total poo poo?

Don't do this, please.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Was this game really under development for five whole years? There's a big difference between actually coding and developing the game, and just building up ideas between other game projects.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
http://i.imgur.com/RznOE3F.gifv

Surprise bitch

http://i.imgur.com/YUU0PZT.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/mP9NKzt.gifv

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Repair your game install.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Ineffiable posted:

Was this game really under development for five whole years? There's a big difference between actually coding and developing the game, and just building up ideas between other game projects.
My guess is they tried to take the Inquisition open-ness to another level, which resulted in unmanageable sprawl, then spent a year rushing the parts that were farthest along and kludging them into a game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Elotana posted:

My guess is they tried to take the Inquisition open-ness to another level, which resulted in unmanageable sprawl, then spent a year rushing the parts that were farthest along and kludging them into a game.

Seems likely.

"Just copy and paste the building assets into an open world, let the level design take care of itself!" - some executive who shouldn't be making design calls

Level design is the often overlooked but massively important elephant in the corner. Just look at Romero's level design from the original Dooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This is the kind of game that highlights the problems with QA in the industry. Out of all the things there are to like about this game, "actually playing it" isn't at the top of the list and it always should be (or maybe second to story if you're a Silent Hill 2 kind of game). This is the kind of game where you can tell they tested mechanics, areas, whatever... whatever they did test, what they quite obviously did not test is the process of sitting down and playing the game. The first 10-15 hours are fine, because you're railroaded through it. Even Eos was good, great. Then the wheels start to come off as the game world opens up faster than you're able to give a poo poo and soon you're in my position with a dozen Actual Quests active and Choice Paralysis every time I boot it up before inevitably going to MP or playing Persona 5 instead.