Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Breadallelogram posted:

moon 13 the moon

This is super nitpicky, but half the time Oswalt hosed up the way you're supposed to say something like that, and it drove me off the wall.

You're supposed to leave a very slight pause between the station and the city, not run it together into one phrase. He did it fine some reads, but others it was moonthirteenthemoon.

Now I feel like Paul Giamatti's character in that Howard Stern movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/mamievandoren/status/855879376897843200

He's hiking up his pants with the angels now.

In other news, Mamie Van Doren has a Twitter account.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My favorite part of that whole movie is still Bigfoot, backed by bright red spotlights, shouting "YOUR FATHER IS IN DANGER" at a boy's private school and then disappearing.
I was wondering how Bigfoot found the right school right as they made the "I've shouted at three schools, is this the right Paul?" joke. It's just so... well, it certainly does set the tone for the rest of the movie.

I think the best part is the Red Hawk dialogue. It reminded me of the environmentalism panel from the Doom comic. Heavy as an anvil and just as incongruous.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

This is super nitpicky, but half the time Oswalt hosed up the way you're supposed to say something like that, and it drove me off the wall.

You're supposed to leave a very slight pause between the station and the city, not run it together into one phrase. He did it fine some reads, but others it was moonthirteenthemoon.

it irked me as well and I wish he didn't say it every single time

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MisterBibs posted:

I kind of assumed he was doing that to make TV's son of TV's Frank worse at his job.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

HannibalBarca posted:

the weird thing about BotW is that they occasionally review MST3K movies but don't seem to mention it at all, as though they have no knowledge that MST3K exists. Which I find difficult to believe.

They did Future War on BotW once, and in the discussion they mentioned 'oh yeah, and we realised after watching it that MST3K already did this one'.

TerminalSaint posted:

I've long wished to see MST3K do this gem:

Probably the same guy who built Reb Browns gun in Strike Commando

Speaking of, Strike Commando, Robowar and Mercenary Fighters are probably good/bad enough for MST3K, no idea where they could get a decent quality copy of it though

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

They really should also do Eliminators. Could even get Denise Crosby to guest shot.

A cyborg, river rat, ninja, scientist versus some evil genius with British accent, what's not to like?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 23, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Binary Badger posted:

They really should also do Eliminators. Could even get Denise Crosby to guest shot.

A cyborg, river rat, ninja, scientist versus some evil genius with British accent, what's not to like?

Replace the British accent with a Southern drawl and you've got yourself Snow Crash.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm 10 minutes into Wizards of the Lost Kingdom, and it's already loving insane.

It looks like they shot half a movie just for that opening montage, and then there's a yeti without eyes or a mouth and a kid mentally torturing a sentient gargoyle. The king's name is Tyler. King Tyler!

Edit: TINY WEREWOLF!

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 23, 2017

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Where is that patient watching thread?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Where is that patient watching thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816674

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Crazy Ferret posted:

Holy poo poo, the end of The Loves of Hercules

God bless this very silly silly show

I like how Jonah just devolves into screaming.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Binary Badger posted:

This film! I haven't thought about it in ages but it would be good bot fodder. A lot of the Golan-Globus films would also work, King Solomon's Mines comes to mind.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't mind seeing some AIP stuff but that might be like, too good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm kind of curious if the rights for a lot of movies have changed since the 90s and are either easier or harder to get.

Not to mention there are movies that are old now but fairly recent when the show was on the air that could be done.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

twistedmentat posted:

I'm kind of curious if the rights for a lot of movies have changed since the 90s and are either easier or harder to get.

Not to mention there are movies that are old now but fairly recent when the show was on the air that could be done.

I'm sure the distributors are thinking, "If people are willing to cough up over six million dollars to bring the show back, we can charge more for the movies they want to see".

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Ballz posted:

Still watching, taking a bit of a breather after Yongary.

Just wanted to chime in and say Felicia Day is an absolute delight and screw the haters, she may be the best addition to the show.

I gotta say, she is killing it. I was not a big fan of hers, but she really is doing an incredible job on the show.

Also, Patton Oswalt is awesome, this entire series is really well done, and a worthy successor to the originals. I gotta wonder though, it seems like there's no bad blood between Joel, Kevin and Bill, or Mary Jo, but... I can't help notice that Mike is absent from this whole relaunch thing. I kinda wonder if there isn't some sort of professional rivalry between Joel and Mike?

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
Seeing as how Rifftrax actively promoted the revival Kickstarter and had Joel & Jonah for the reunion show last year, that seems unlikely. In a FB post talking about the revival, Mike called himself a "hired gun" on MST3K. It gave him the career he has but I think he'd rather focus on building Rifftrax than looking back to the past. It's "his" as opposed to having to work for someone else.

(J. Elvis Weinstein is very much that way, happy to be associated with it but with tones of "c'mon, I've done a lot of other stuff in the last 25 years, doesn't anyone care about that?")

That said, if there's another season maybe things would change. I don't think that door is entirely closed, he just doesn't have a reason to make it a priority.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd like if they do another season for maybe one or two little Rifftrax shoutouts. Even just a "Lllaaaaaaaaaadies..." or a Nick Nolte joke.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

since it keeps coming up, here is that facebook post Mike wrote

first this - https://www.facebook.com/mikeatrifftrax/posts/1167373239945595
then this - https://www.facebook.com/mikeatrifftrax/posts/1167399969942922

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I'd like if they do another season for maybe one or two little Rifftrax shoutouts. Even just a "Lllaaaaaaaaaadies..." or a Nick Nolte joke.

Oh god no Nick Nolte jokes. Every time they come up in Rifftrax it goes on for too long and is just grating.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also a little odd going back to the beginning of Rifftrax before Mike & co bought it out. I was going through my library on the site and looked at some of the real early ones and you can tell that Legend didn't quite know what it was. You have the things like the Film Crew, which was an attempt to revive MST for the DVD boom, then Mike on his own doing Reefer Madness but having this odd pseudo-film-historian framing to the commentary. Then they started the celebrity guest thing for a bit (to be fair, Neil Patrick Harris and Mike doing Willy Wonka is an early gem for Rifftrax) before bring Bill and Kevin on board full time, and then once they became independent, moved away from the blockbuster MP3 riffs to the VOD and live shows over crappy horror, sci-fi and action movies, with the benefit of being able to do R-rated stuff.

It's neat to see the evolution so plainly.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm sure the distributors are thinking, "If people are willing to cough up over six million dollars to bring the show back, we can charge more for the movies they want to see".

MGM (who owns the AIP library that makes up half of Season 11) is recovering from bankruptcy, so they're probably happy to get whatever is offered to them. They've been licensing their library to practically everyone in the last few years, including Shout! Factory. I doubt Roger Corman is demanding anything unreasonable.

twistedmentat posted:

The bigger problem seems to be figuring out who owns the rights. Shout! Factory apparently had a difficult time finding out who owned Puma Man.

Also, even if a film is in the public domain like Mitchell or The Brain That Wouldn't Die, labels like Shout! will still license from the rights holders, even though they technically don't have to.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was said here earlier, but I hope that if Mine does a cameo it's him with a different Servo and Crow voiced by Bill and Kevin and everyone just gets really confused.

Or he can just be Torgo.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Thanks for posting that! I was wondering if there was some sort of Jerry Lewis/Dean Martin -esque feud between the two, but it's clear that it's just not Mike's baby, but Rifftrax is.

And as for painful, go back and watch the first live rifftrax, the non-movie and short segments are just painful to watch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Seriously, they need Moon 14 t-shirts.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

There is bad blood, but it's strictly related to Jim Mallon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Egbert Souse posted:

MGM (who owns the AIP library that makes up half of Season 11) is recovering from bankruptcy, so they're probably happy to get whatever is offered to them. They've been licensing their library to practically everyone in the last few years, including Shout! Factory. I doubt Roger Corman is demanding anything unreasonable.

The bigger problem seems to be figuring out who owns the rights. Shout! Factory apparently had a difficult time finding out who owned Puma Man.

Also, even if a film is in the public domain like Mitchell or The Brain That Wouldn't Die, labels like Shout! will still license from the rights holders, even though they technically don't have to.

Yea, I can imagine that with all the shakeups recently, rights are all over the place.

You know what gets a man going, layers!
Look who dressed like your grandmother....

This explains why the bride does not let her husband kiss her on the mouth. Actually considering Korea's censorship laws, I'm sure kissing on the mouth was probably illegal in films.

Okay, what is the issue with Jim Mallon? I never was involved in the show in hits hayday, so I don't know all the behind the scenes strife that went on.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, what is the issue with Jim Mallon? I never was involved in the show in hits hayday, so I don't know all the behind the scenes strife that went on.

I don't think anyone's ever publicly gone into gory detail, but here's what Joel had to say in 1999:

Joel Hodgson posted:

The big thing is that Jim Mallon and I were kind of fighting over creative control of the show. And it just got too hard. You can't really be fighting with someone and doing all the stuff you have to do. I think what made the show work for me was that I really loved it. I really liked the audience, and the whole process was... I was really happy doing it, and I realized that I'd turn into Jerry Lewis or something if I started to kind of hate it. And that was starting to happen, just because of these conflicts I was having internally with Jim. I had a pretty good deal set up, so if I left, it would be okay. If Jim wanted to run the show his way and it succeeded, I would make money on it. And if it didn't work, that would be okay, too. It was just kind of the way to do it. The thing would have blown up if we both would have stayed there. I like to look at it like the story of King Solomon, when the baby was brought before him. [Laughs.]

archive.org link, since it looks like the original page has been gone for years: https://web.archive.org/web/20060106045148/http://avclub.com/content/node/23008 Another interesting tidbit from that interview: a possible early appearance of the "liquid video" concept.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeah, but I think the fact that there's countless crappy B-movies over the last 75 years or so makes it easier for Joel to walk away and pick a different one if the price or license terms is poo poo. IIRC there are some older episodes that will never be released because the licensing was not a perpetuity one for the non-public domain works.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's hard to define the Mallon stuff with anything definitive. He was extremely protective of what he thought MST3K's intellectual property was, and he threatened lawsuits against everyone from the film crew to a tiny local improv troupe that riffed on movies from the front row. There was a long time when he seemed to think that he held ownership over an extremely broad concept, purely so that he could make money off DVDs and merchandise related to a show that was gone and wasn't coming back.

As others have said, though, he went through hell and came back a changed man, so all of that is water under the bridge now. I think Mike is pretty focused on his own stuff with Rifftrax, but I bet that if Joel talks to him the right way about it, and is willing to pay him the right amount, they could get him to come back to write for and act in an episode for old time's sake, which is really all that I want. I know Joel is kind of resistant to playing Joel Robinson these days, but maybe just for one, short host segment and the shadowrama riffing that follows it. A 30th anniversary special.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could see a bit where some malfunction lets them view into the future where Joel or MIke is still stuck on the SoL with giant beards or something.

And that stuff with Mallon seems pretty standard for producers of popular niche shows. He'd probably be trying to sue The Flophouse or We Have Movies these days.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

twistedmentat posted:

I could see a bit where some malfunction lets them view into the future where Joel or MIke is still stuck on the SoL with giant beards or something.

And that stuff with Mallon seems pretty standard for producers of popular niche shows. He'd probably be trying to sue The Flophouse or We Have Movies these days.

I wonder what Mallon had to do to get Joel to appear in Soultaker?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm still not sold on The Mads having an entire crew full of goons helping them out. That and the house band make the whole thing feel way too big. It should just be Kinga and Son of TV's Frank, with Pearl's clone showing up occasionally. I also vastly prefer the old "revolving moon" commercial cuts over the weird new "recap with house band" bits.

I'm ok with it, because the whole concept of Kinga's experiment is ratings and franchise building. Like, it wouldn't make sense for Clayton to have had a band any more than it would for Victor Frankenstein, but Kinga absolutely would have budgeted a house band a commercial bumpers into the experiment supplies.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Bicyclops posted:

I think Mike is pretty focused on his own stuff with Rifftrax, but I bet that if Joel talks to him the right way about it, and is willing to pay him the right amount, they could get him to come back to write for and act in an episode for old time's sake, which is really all that I want. I know Joel is kind of resistant to playing Joel Robinson these days, but maybe just for one, short host segment and the shadowrama riffing that follows it. A 30th anniversary special.

Yeah, I kind of hope for the 30th, we can get Joel, J. Elvis, and Trace as Joel and the bots, and Mike, Kevin and Bill as Mike and the bots. Then a filled Shadowrama for at least one segment. It'd be a mess, but fun.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea but Clawful would give me my first taste of beer
I don't want you hanging out with Clawful anymore
Awe man.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Bicyclops posted:

It's hard to define the Mallon stuff with anything definitive. He was extremely protective of what he thought MST3K's intellectual property was, and he threatened lawsuits against everyone from the film crew to a tiny local improv troupe that riffed on movies from the front row. There was a long time when he seemed to think that he held ownership over an extremely broad concept, purely so that he could make money off DVDs and merchandise related to a show that was gone and wasn't coming back.

As others have said, though, he went through hell and came back a changed man, so all of that is water under the bridge now. I think Mike is pretty focused on his own stuff with Rifftrax, but I bet that if Joel talks to him the right way about it, and is willing to pay him the right amount, they could get him to come back to write for and act in an episode for old time's sake, which is really all that I want. I know Joel is kind of resistant to playing Joel Robinson these days, but maybe just for one, short host segment and the shadowrama riffing that follows it. A 30th anniversary special.

Mister Sinus Theater 3000 should've picked a better name regardless of how lawsuit happy Mallon was.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

duz posted:

Mister Sinus Theater 3000 should've picked a better name regardless of how lawsuit happy Mallon was.

Yeah, as tryhard as it is, Incognito Cinema Warriors XP hits the sweet spot name-wise of clearly being inspired by, but not being a blatant ripoff.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I always enjoyed going to the master pancake theater shows... Glad they didn't get sued into oblivion. Their live show for that Britney Spears movie was amazing and had me in tears.

Edit: wait... Those are the Mister Sinus Theater 3000 guys lol

2DCAT fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can't believe he hit the Film Crew. That was great, and put out by Rhino, who were doing the MST3K releases at that time.

I wonder if he tried to stop Cinematic Titanic too.