Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

the list of people throughout history who were not horrible by todays standards consists of one person: Fred Rogers.

Shirley Temple was rude to Fred Rogers once and he spent the rest of his life talking smack about her as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Infantry Tank Mk.I

Queue: Hummel, LT vz. 38, Pz38(t), E-50 and E-75, Hellcat trials in the USSR, Allied fictional tanks, crazy Soviet tanks, Light Tank M3A3, Char B1 in German service, Renault NC, Renault D1, Renault R35, Renault D2, Renault R40, 25 mm Hotchkiss gun, LT vz 35, Praga AH-IV, Praga LTL and Pzw 39, T-60 production in difficult years, big guns for the KV-1, A1E1 Independent, PzI Ausf. B, PzI Ausf. C, PzI Ausf. F, Renault FT, Maus in the USSR, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, M4A2(76)W

Available for request:

:911:
Light Tank M5 NEW

:britain:

:ussr:
T-37 with ShKAS
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122

Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis
45 mm M-42 gun
SU-76 prototype
SU-26/T-26-6
T-60 tanks produced at Stalingrad

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
Strv m/21
Strv 81 and Strv 101

:poland:
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:france:

:godwin:
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzII Ausf. c through C
PzII Ausf. D through E
PzII Ausf. F
PzII trials in the USSR
Pak 97/38
7.5 cm Pak 41
s.FH. 18

:eurovision:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

spectralent posted:

Apparently they're being refitted with smoothbores again these days.

As far as I'm aware, that's still only a maybe, should the exchequer decide to pony up the cash. This bring British Procurement, I would imagine they will spend the money only to find that they can't fit a smoothbore after all. The money will not be refunded.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the British way would be to order a full set of replacements, deliver half of them with new turrets but no cannons to go in them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Quinntan posted:

As far as I'm aware, that's still only a maybe, should the exchequer decide to pony up the cash. This bring British Procurement, I would imagine they will spend the money only to find that they can't fit a smoothbore after all. The money will not be refunded.

...And they'll end up with 17pdrs.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

feedmegin posted:

To be fair, he is translating articles written in Russian by someone else. You're addressing the wrong dude.

I dunno, I feel like it's part of the translator's job to address glaring errors or biases in the source work.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

GotLag posted:

I dunno, I feel like it's part of the translator's job to address glaring errors or biases in the source work.

It isn't.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

GotLag posted:

You may be thinking of an editor.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Polyakov posted:

It isn't.

True. We already have politics loving over historians, we don't need to add to the mix with translators starting to rewrite history texts however they feel like at the moment. Besides, that would make international relations even more disfunctional. Could you imagine Russia's reaction if one of their leaders gets their hands on such a "bias-corrected"-version? They would flip their poo poo. Likewise the US if some joker "corrected" US-historians by referencing every little native massacre when they feel it was left out.

TerminalSaint posted:

You may be thinking of an editor.

If by "editor" you mean "peer who wrote a text pointing out the glaring errors of his colleague", then yes.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Hello milhist thread! Quick request: my dad recently bought some victorian correspondence and is looking to do a bit of research on the guy it's addressed to (letters are from his wife). Unfortunately Victorian handwriting strikes again and we can't make out the surname on the envelope.

I know there have been some similar requests to this in the past so was hoping someone here could decipher it!

Here's the envelope: http://imgur.com/RuDpn6S

It's milhist relevant as part of the letter is her making sure he's got smart trousers for a regimental reunion.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lobster God posted:

Hello milhist thread! Quick request: my dad recently bought some victorian correspondence and is looking to do a bit of research on the guy it's addressed to (letters are from his wife). Unfortunately Victorian handwriting strikes again and we can't make out the surname on the envelope.

Looks like Cameron Moore Sykes, but I'm not 100% certain.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 22, 2017

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Looks like Cameron Moore Sykes, but I'm not 100% certain.

Awesome, thanks! Moore certainly looks plausible (I thought the last name was Sykes as well to start with, but after looking at it I'm about 90% sure it's Esq.).

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Libluini posted:

every little native massacre

:crossarms:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

yeah

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Libluini posted:

every little native massacre

:yikes:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i read that as sarcasm, like libliuni was making fun of a US historian trying to brush our history of genocide under the rug

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

HEY GAIL posted:

i read that as sarcasm, like libliuni was making fun of a US historian trying to brush our history of genocide under the rug

Me too, I thought that was clear and unambiguous

JcDent posted:

I don't think Forrest was just covering his rear end; considering how easy and profitable it must have been to say that The South Did Nothing Wrong back then, he clearly didn't take the easy way out. That is, unless you don't believe that people can change their opinions, or that redemption only comes if they start claiming that they're a piece of poo poo at every possible moment.

The part i object to is where he says "racism is bad, we'll protect you from it" but then goes on to not do that. Wikipedia says he "offered his services" to hunt the Klan in Tennessee, but not that he actually did it. To me there's a distinction between him personally becoming a better man on one hand, and then having already established a really hosed and noxious legacy on the other. And neither of those have any impact on whether he was good at commanding cavalry, which is i think what this conversation was about originally.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GAIL posted:

I was more making fun of the idea we should let translators rewrite history texts to "correct biases", because as laudable as that is, in this world it wouldn't even work even if the translators could pull this off.

In truth, it would probably end in poo poo like a Russian translator going through a British text about the occupation of the Baltic states by the Red Army and changing it into a glorification of Soviet liberation. Or like a German translator going through an US historians description of native massacres and removing all references to them because it was "too brutal to read".

In fact, there is probably a "translator" right now in some place like North Korea, working on "correcting" some "biased" work from the outside world.

Edit:

My knowledge of US-historians is kind of limited, I think I never even heard of this Forrester-guy, for example. So I sadly can't say I had him in mind when I opened my endless fountain of sarcasm.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 23, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

My knowledge of US-historians is kind of limited, I think I never even heard of this Forrester-guy, for example. So I sadly can't say I had him in mind when I opened my endless fountain of sarcasm.
he's not a historian, he's one of our generals from the nineteenth century, and a real douchebag!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAIL posted:

he's not a historian, he's one of our generals from the nineteenth century, and a real douchebag!

The best thing I can say about Bedford Forrest is that while he was undoubtedly a douchebag shitheel, he was a talented douchebag shitheel

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The best thing I can say about Bedford Forrest is that while he was undoubtedly a douchebag shitheel, he was a talented douchebag shitheel

Tangentially related: I just finished my biannual re-watch of Ken Burns' The Civil War, and realized for the first time that Kurt Vonnegut is listed as a voice actor. Does anyone know which of the episodes/segments/individuals he did voiceovers for?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

:horse:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
There was a discussion of sapping and underground warfare on pg 358 i would likley highly reccomend this book

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CCPIHZQ

Its riveting and you can read straight through it in a good 2-3 hours.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Waroduce posted:

There was a discussion of sapping and underground warfare on pg 358 i would likley highly reccomend this book

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CCPIHZQ

Its riveting and you can read straight through it in a good 2-3 hours.

Can confirm that. The Tunnels of Cu Chi is amazing, and as a history of a battle/campaign in the Vietnam War, right up there with We Were Soldiers Once, And Young (the book by General Moore, not the movie with Mel Gibson). To c/p a review I wrote offsite a while back:

Cu Chi was a district just 25 miles from Saigon. Starting from the French Indochina War, local guerrillas carved tunnels out of the strong laterite clay that made up the district. By 1968, the Iron Triangle had over 200 miles of tunnels, with three and four level base camps including barracks, hospitals, and weapons shops. This book covers the Vietnamese men and women who lived and fought in the tunnels, and the American soldiers tasked with going in and smoking them out, the stone crazy tunnel rats.

The authors have compiled an extensive body of interviews with veterans on both sides of the conflict, bring forth the survivors own words as they describe living without sunlight or fresh air for months on end, and the terror of chasing the enemy into the bowels of the Earth. A secondary topic is weapons, from madcap high-tech schemes to destroy the tunnels, to the trained wasps and snakes that the VC used to defend their bases. Both the human and military elements are well-represented.

In the end, America never learned how to fight in the tunnels. Instead, in the wake of the Tet offensive, the army simply obliterated the entire district, first with defoliants, then with Rome plows, then with B-52 strikes that blew 10m craters in the ground. The guerrillas were essentially destroyed, but only at the cost of the entire region. The Tunnels of Cu Chi is a fascinating micro-history that amply demonstrates the fractally hosed up nature of the war.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HEY GAIL posted:

Ah, that's why I have this nagging feeling I should remember his name from somewhere. I probably read about him and then later forgot, thanks!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Part 1: Arriving in South Africa
Part 2: The Reality of Combat/Getting Stuck In/WATERSPORTS!
Part 3: March Marching Madness/Trench Sniping/CANADIANS!

Part 4: Boer Guns, Hunger Marches and Bloody Charges With The Gordon Highlanders.

quote:

The Diary of 2874 L/Cpl. A. W Rose
2nd DLCI- His Experiences in the South African War
9th October 1899-28th of December 1901

April 30th: Left camp at 3:40 am to march on Winburg. We could see some very nasty country in front of us, particularly one large kopje, where we expected to find Boers and was not wrong. It was covered with them. We quickly got into extended order and advanced on their position, our artillery shelling them all the time.

We laargered up our convoy as we thought out of range, but the Boers had got Long Toms (1) with them and soon started shelling our wagons causing the cattle to stampede, but after some trouble got them together again and moved out of range. We gradually crept up the Kopji, fighting all the way, until darkness put a stop top the day's operations. We had strict orders not to strike a match or make a move under penalty of death as the Boers were within 200 yards of us. Had to sleep on the ground we had won, nothing to eat or drink, one blanket and the night is bitter cold.

May 1st: We were at it this morning as soon as is was daybreak and kept it up till 12:20 pm when the Boers were in full retreat leaving their dead and wounded behind them. Our casualties were very few. The Gordons Highlands charging the enemy. When they were asked to surrender, the officer in charge of them being blinded for life shot in both eyes (Captain Towse)(2).

1)A 'Long Tom' was a Crozier 94 pdr heaving gun of American design purchased from the French.

2)Captain E.B.B Towse (later Sir Ernest Towse) was awarded the Victoria Cross for his gallantry in the action.

May 2nd: We had a days rest today to enable our draft to catch us up. They arrived here about 11:30 pm tonight. I knew several of them and had a chat about Brum. (1)

May 3rd: Had another day's rest to enable the draft to rest as they had done a long march the night before.

May 4th: Marched off this morning towards Winburg at 4 am. We were not marching long before we were joined by the 21st Brigade under Gen Ian Hamilton who took charge of the 9th Division and we were now named the Winburg column. About 9 am the Boers opened fire on us with Two Long Toms but we had got two naval guns (2) with us now and was able to give them a little lyddite (3) and after 3 hours fighting they fled leaving 75 dead besides wounded behind them, the C.I.Vs burying their dead. We also took some prisoners, six important ones. We got into camp at 7 pm, quite dark but had a very successful day.

May 5th: Left camp at 3:30 am and began climbing the hills that surround the town of Wingburg(?). The Boers must have had enough of us as they left us a clear road to march into the town which is the prettiest I have seen out here. Nice large houses with orange tree's all surrounding them, here we found plenty of supplies. I brought bread and butter and several other things and was made a prisoner for buying bread. When we get a chance of buying anything won't let us. The English people were very kind to us, waiting at their doors with cake and tea.

May 6th: Left Wingburg at 5: 30 pm and marching Klipfontein. Halted for the night.

May 7th and 8th: Rested two days on account of a Peace Conference (4) being held, also waiting for other columns to catch us up as we expected another big battle shortly. General orders were read oit, our General giving us great praise. Also a letter from Lord Roberts saying how pleased he was with the 9th Division because they had not only had long a difficult marches but had to fight all the way, got into Winburg a day earlier than he expected and he had much pleasure announcing that the 19th and 21st Brigade had been working in concert with one another to gain one of the most important positions in The Free State.

May 9th: Marched out of camp at 5 am. We were told that Lord Roberts and General French was on our flanks being the central column. About 11 am we halted at a farm and just as it was getting dark the Boers began shelling our scouts so we knew we was for it in the morning.

1) Brum. Slang for Birmingham.
2) The British now had Naval 4.7 heavy guns mounted on field carriages improvised by the engine room artificers in the warships from which they removed.
3) Lyddite. The standard high explosive shell from the period.
4) Abortive Middleburg peace talks.

May 10th: The Boers started shelling our camp just as we were having breakfast. We hastily finished out meal and soon drove them across Zand River where they came in contact with Lord Roberts force. The Veldt is on fire for miles around owning to the bursting shells. They blew up the bridge before leaving. We captured 200 prisoners and three guns, our loss about 10 killed and wounded. We crossed the River and camped for the night. I was roaming about all night trying to get communication with Lord Roberts Force who had gone 10 miles to our right and succeeded about 1 am.

May 11th: Marched to a place called Woodlands. Half of our Regt went through Ventersburg. Arrived in camp about 8 pm after an awful dusty day and doing the distance of 21 miles. We are just having enough to eat to keep us alive that is all.

May 12th: Left camp at 3:30 am with the intention of marching Kroonstad, (1) a long march of 24 miles and after an awful day through blinding sandstorms. We camped about one and a half miles outside the town. This is the place where Steyn fled to after leaving Bloemfontein and he left here early this morning. We were expecting a big fight here but we took the town without opposition. I went and had a look at the Boer positions. They were simply grand, they ought to have easily stopped us from taking them but I suppose they had enough.

May 13th: We are not allowed to go into the town. We had a Church Service this morning.

May 14th: Lord Roberts (2) inspected all the troops this morning to sere if they were fit for the march to Pretoria. He was accomplished by Lord Kitchener and all his staff. As he left each Regt there was tremendious cheering, for the troops here. Have great faith in 'Little Bobs.'.

May 15th: As there was a bad supply of water in camp we moved our camp about 8 miles away where they is plenty of good water here. We had tobacco served out, about 2 ounces per man, which came in very useful as we had been without tobacco for a month or more.

May 16th: Left camp at 9 am and marched across a kind of a desert- not a tree or water all way - camped on the burning Veldt. The Boers having set it on fire to stop our advance but it will take more than to stop us. We are bound for Pretoria and we mean to get there.

May 17th: Left camp at 2:30 am and marched 18 miles. In crossing a drift we was left behind to assist in getting the agons across, a task which took us five hours as the bullocks and mules were done up. We reached camp about 11 pm.

1)a small town on the main Pretoria railway line on the southern bank of the Valsch River.
2) Field Marshal Lord Roberts, VC, a soldier of immense national popularity, had taken over command from General Buller on 18th December 1899 after the disaster at Colenso.

May 18th: We had a days rest today, the 21st Brigade and Cavalry having gone on to Lindley where we thought Steyn might be. About 3 pm we heard heavy rifle firing at a farm house close by. Four of our companys went out, but the Mounted Infantry (1) had driven the Boers off. Here we found some bread and got a pound loaf between 12 men.

A small group of Boer Commandos posing for the camera, these men are determined to fight to the death and have already proved themselves in previous battles of this war.

May 19th: Left camp at 12 noon and marched towards Lindley to catch up to the 21st Brigade.

May 20th: We started at 5 am east. Had a fight on the way, the M. I losing a few men. A very trying march of 18 miles.

May 21st: Left camp at 3 am and marched 14 miles to try and capture De Wet (2) who is causing us a lot of trouble. We keep very close to him but he won't make a stand and, as The Boers are all mounted, it is very hard work to catch them up. The nights are bitter cold and we are only on half rations which means on biscuit and half for a day's food.

May 22nd: Moved out of camp at 6:30 am. We were not on the march long when we saw a large force of Boers in front and after a few shells from our naval guns they fled leaving us an open road to enter the town of Heilbron(?). This town like Wingburg is very pretty and there are plenty of English people here. We captured 25 wagons of supples, also a large number of Boers surrendered. Here I bought a pack of flour here, 10/-. (3)

May 23rd: Left camp at 9:30 am and marched to Verdepoort(?) a distance of 12 miles. Here we took over 40 prisoners that were captured at Heilbron(?). The Free Staters seem sick of the war and are giving in fast.

May 24th: Queens Birthday. God Bless Her. We heard today that Gen French had crossed the Vaal River which divides the Orange Free State from The Transvaal and which The Boer said we should never cross.

May 25th: Had a nice little of 9 miles.

May 26th: Marched off this morning at 9 am towards Vaal Rover, a distance of 14 miles, which we reached and crossed about 1:30 pm. Here I captured a sheep and had a good tuck in.

May 27th: Left camp at 9:15 am and had a pretty long march of 16 miles. No signs of the enemy today (still starving)

1) Each infantry battalion was required to provide a company of mounted infantry. These were normally detached from their parent unit and operated under seperate command. Once properly trained, these troops provided the mobility which was so vital to beating the Boer Commandos at their own game.
2) General Christian de Wet. One of the great masters of guerilla tactics of all time.
3)10/-equals 50 pence.

May 28th: Marched off at 5:15 am. Heard heavy firing on our right, Gen French must be engaging the enemy. Marched 11 miles today.

May 29th: Left camp at 7 am. The weather being bitter cold. We had not gone far when we saw a large force in front of us which provided to be Gen French's Cavalry. Engaging the enemy, we overtook them about 2 pm and learnt that Gen French had been trying to drive them from a very strong position they had taken up on the Doornkop and found out he could not move them, so our Division were ordered to clear them out of it at the point of the bayonet.

So throwing out the 21st Brigade on our left flank, our Gen gave us orders to make a frontal attack, The Gordons first line, DCLI second line (the regiment of Rose), Canadians third line and the Shropshires to look after our baggage. The Gordons made three attemps to drive them out of it and could not succeed so they ordered the DCLI to advance. Covered by artillery fire, we advanced to within 1000 yards of the position when we had orders to fix bayonets. Here we lost Lieut Fife(1) shot through the lungs, (he had previously wounded at Paardeberg - a very gallant Officer).

An example of the desperate close to the ground for cover fighting from a previous battle.

The bullets were coming like rain but we were used to it now. We had another man wounded as we advanced. We kept up the firing and advancing to within 250 yards when we charged their position but they fled, (I am sure that I went mad). The Gordons and DCLI charging together while the gallant Canadians were on the flank doing good work, the enemy leaving a large number of dead and wounded behind them, old men of sixty and youths of 16 lay side by side dead.

The Gordons lost very heavily, owing to their Volunteer Company(2) being in front. It was getting dark when we had finished operations so they decided to camp on the position we had won. We could not lay down owing to the rocks and we could not get any water so we spent a very pleasant night.

A dressing station full of injured British soldiers from the previous major battle, Paardeberg.

May 30th: Awoke early this morning and had a look around was surprise to see what a strong position we had taken. Looking around I could see the rocks all splashed with blood telling how heavy The Boers must have lost. This is the exact spot where Dr Jameson(3) surrendered. We buried 17 of the Gordons. Their casualties I believe were between 50 to 60. Marched off this morning without having any breakfast or even a drop of water but came to a stream about 2 miles on our way.

May 31st: Marched to Johannesburg this morning and camped about two miles out of the Town. Still starving this is worse than Paardeburg, we don't get a bisuit a day. Lord Roberts sent a letter to be read to the troops it ran as follows:

'I am delighted at your successes and grieved beyond measure at your poor fellows being without food. A train load shall be sent to you at once. I expect to get the notice that Johannesburg has surrendered today. I wish your column which has done so much to gain possession of it my heartiest congratulations- Roberts.'

But the train did not arrive today.

(1)Lieutenant H. W. Fire had previously been wounded at the Battle of Paardeberg. He was, by all accounts, a most popular and respected young officer.
(2) Many men from the Volunteer Battalions at home had volunteered for service as reinforcements to their Regular Battalions in South Africa. These men were normally intergrated into the experienced ranks of their Regular comrades, but in the case of the Gordon Highlanders, they appear to have formed a Volunteer Company.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think the best thing to say about General Forrest and how he (and the Confederacy in general) should be remembered is Nate DiMeo's Notes on an Imagined Plaque to be Added to the Statue of General Nathan Bedford Forrest, Upon Hearing that the Memphis City Council has Voted to Move it and the Exhumed Remains of General Forrest and his Wife, Mary Ann Montgomery Forrest, from their Current Location in a Park Downtown, to the Nearby Elmwood Cemetery.

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017
Hey, I've heard that the narrative of 'dropping the atom bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki to convince Japan to surrender/ save the American lives to be lost in an invasion' is false because the Japanese were already trying to surrender, and the real reason to do that was to intimidate the Soviet Union. What's the evidence for these two competing stories?

the_tasman_series fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 23, 2017

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Point of order, 10 shillings was 120 pence, or half of a pound. This wasn't one of those crazy bastardised New Shillings I recall from my childhood :sun:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

the_tasman_series posted:

Hey, I've heard that the narrative of 'dropping the atom bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki to convince Japan to surrender/ save the American lives to be lost in an invasion' is false because the Japanese were already trying to surrender, and the real reason to do that was to intimidate the Soviet Union. What's the evidence these two competing stories?

Also, how were tank destroyers supposed to be used, and have you heard about this bear?

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Also, how were tank destroyers supposed to be used, and have you heard about this bear?

And what's the deal with those wacky Mark 14's?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

the_tasman_series posted:

Hey, I've heard that the narrative of 'dropping the atom bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki to convince Japan to surrender/ save the American lives to be lost in an invasion' is false because the Japanese were already trying to surrender, and the real reason to do that was to intimidate the Soviet Union. What's the evidence for these two competing stories?

They're not competing stories. The Japanese were not ready to surrender, as evidenced by their lack of surrending, and pursuit of a negotiated end to the war. And as long as the war is still going, the bomb will be dropped; you don't spend billions of dollars on a new weapons system and then decline to use it.

Intimidating the Soviets was considered a nice side benefit by the political class, even though the scientific lobby was pretty united in pointing out that using it without informing Stalin would surely poison relations with the Soviets - this probably would have happened either way; also Stalin had pretty complete knowledge of the American bomb program, not that the Americans knew that. But the biggest Soviet related reason for dropping the bomb on Japan isn't to intimidate them at some generic level, it's to end the war before the Soviet invasion of Manchuria can be launched, thus denying them influence there. As it happens that didn't work out, but it was close.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

You also have to understand the bomb in the context of WW2 era strategic bomber doctrine. It wasn't seen as a terrible new huge step so much as a more efficient way of doing what we were already doing with hundred bomber raids dropping incendiaries. About as many people died in the firebombing of tokyo as at hiroshima and nagasaki, for example.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Even after the nukes were dropped, the anti-peace faction tried to coup the government to prevent the surrender.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

They're not competing stories. The Japanese were not ready to surrender, as evidenced by their lack of surrending, and pursuit of a negotiated end to the war. And as long as the war is still going, the bomb will be dropped; you don't spend billions of dollars on a new weapons system and then decline to use it.

Intimidating the Soviets was considered a nice side benefit by the political class, even though the scientific lobby was pretty united in pointing out that using it without informing Stalin would surely poison relations with the Soviets - this probably would have happened either way; also Stalin had pretty complete knowledge of the American bomb program, not that the Americans knew that. But the biggest Soviet related reason for dropping the bomb on Japan isn't to intimidate them at some generic level, it's to end the war before the Soviet invasion of Manchuria can be launched, thus denying them influence there. As it happens that didn't work out, but it was close.

There are a couple of holes with that theory, foremost the fact that the US leaned heavily on the Soviet Union to enter the war in Asia. Stalin demanded supplies and equipment, and only declared war after they had been delivered. The US knew that the Soviets were entering the war, because they asked them to. It makes no sense to ask them to and then try to end the war before they do.

The Japanese decision to surrender hinged heavily on the idea that they could avoid an unconditional surrender. The fate of the Emperor is often touted as the central concern, but the Allies very publicly stated that the Japanese would be permitted to choose their form of government, and the Japanese government took that to mean that the Emperor would be kept in some form. What was probably more important was the fact that the key Japanese decision makers wanted to to avoid having to sit through war crime tribunals and thought they could push through a deal where the Japanese military would be in charge of the tribunals and its own demilitarization (for some reason, the Allies were somewhat less enthusiastic about the idea). For some reason, the Japanese government had convinced itself that the Soviets would argue their cause before the Allies, and that they could get their negotiated peace with the backing of Stalin.

With the Soviet attack, that entire strategy went up in flames.

Claiming that the Allies used the bomb to intimidate the Soviet implies that the Allies knew that the war would soon be over, and that the bombs were not needed to make the Japanese surrender, neither assumption is necessarily true. The Allies fully expected that they would have to either carry out an opposed landing on the Japanese home islands (and the prospect of that was nothing short of terrifying) or starve the Japanese into submission, both options would have taken until early 1946.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Boer War Guy posted:

May 26th: Marched off this morning at 9 am towards Vaal Rover, a distance of 14 miles, which we reached and crossed about 1:30 pm. Here I captured a sheep and had a good tuck in.

May 27th: Left camp at 9:15 am and had a pretty long march of 16 miles. No signs of the enemy today (still starving)

Uh did he gently caress the sheep?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Pontius Pilate posted:

Boy, they don't even let me gently caress it.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

feedmegin posted:

Point of order, 10 shillings was 120 pence, or half of a pound. This wasn't one of those crazy bastardised New Shillings I recall from my childhood :sun:

Decimalisation was better for us than universal suffrage.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Never heard of the phrase tuck in eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Here is a video by a giant nerd on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2GcZWl1XGA

lol he's a major dork, but the video was interesting