Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I knew I should have bet someone here that Marco wouldn't make it out of the 1st round of qualifying, I knew it had to be a lock since he was fast in practice. Marco has yet to make it out of the 1st round all season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I think NBCSN shows qualifying on tape delay so they can pack in as many ads as possible into the program.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Was drinking beer today with mugs and some guy who doesn't even have racing on his radar brought up Alonso coming to the 500.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Was he my 13 year old daughter though?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
It's race day!

Lots of rain overnight and some this morning, but it's finally starting to clear up. Weather is about 20° cooler today than the rest of the weekend, which will have a big impact on the cars. Many cars are not expected to participate in final warm-up due to wet track conditions and the expectation that the race will be dry.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Alonso press conference at Barber happening at noon ET, which is right now. Video on Indycar's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/indycar/

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Interesting note, today's Indy Lights race was the 400th ever Lights race and was won by Colton Herta

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

KingShibby posted:

Interesting note, today's Indy Lights race was the 400th ever Lights race and was won by Colton Herta

is this a cardboard cutout display or an actual human being

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

financially racist posted:

is this a cardboard cutout display or an actual human being

I just took that pic like 10 min ago and I honestly can't even tell anymore
That's actually Colton

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Nando posted:

"We don't talk much there," he said to much laughter in Sunday's news conference. "It's a different world; the only thing that I know is probably what you guys read, because it's what I read as well. Some of them are happy for me, happy for this thing and curious to see how competitive we can be, some others, they are not happy with anything in life. So this was another thing for their own problems. It's OK. I think, different world."
http://www.racer.com/f1/item/139825-alonso-takes-jab-at-f1-drivers-over-indy-reaction

:allears:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Also speaking of dumb women saying dumb things about racing, don't forget about Danica

quote:

Q: With former Formula One champion Fernando Alonso entering this year's Indy 500, do you think there are drivers in other series who could jump over to NASCAR for one-off races?

Patrick: "I feel like with Indy cars, you can just show up -- if you are equipped to build and make a nice car, then you could be competitive.
"But in NASCAR I don't see that even being possible for someone to just show up with a car. There's too much evolution of the tricks and bells and whistles and all the things it takes to be fast in stock-car racing that you wouldn't know."

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

She doesn't know those tricks, bells, and/or whistles either. :ssh:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im going to watch the Indy race today just to see if they show our Nando. In your face stupid article lady.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

NBCSN is covering the race, so I expect it to be the second thing they talk about after the race intro.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

WindyMan posted:

NBCSN is covering the race, so I expect it to be the second thing they talk about after the race intro.

They managed to make it about 20 minutes before talking about Alonso, although I did see T Bell stalking around Alonso waiting to pounce

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Got my 500 tickets today :hellyeah:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Marco. :sigh:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Is this indicative of Andretti reliability? Will My Alonso be at a higher than average risk of suffering mechanical failure when he wins the Indy 500 at the first attempt?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Nando might kill himself if a Honda engine explodes on him at Indy

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Do the Chevy's have different end plates?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Wirth1000 posted:

Is this indicative of Andretti reliability? Will My Alonso be at a higher than average risk of suffering mechanical failure when he wins the Indy 500 at the first attempt?
I've never seen the Andretti team be this unreliable during the DW12 era. Very odd.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What happened to Chip Ganassi? I remember they were the time to beat at Champ. That series still exists?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Champ Car and IndyCar merged in 2008. Ganassi jumped to Indy some years before that (2003, I think) and is still a top team. This is actually the first year they're not running the red Target livery.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Uh, how many wheel guns does IndyCar go through if they just throw them around like that?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doc Morbid posted:

Champ Car and IndyCar merged in 2008. Ganassi jumped to Indy some years before that (2003, I think) and is still a top team. This is actually the first year they're not running the red Target livery.

I see. Thank!

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Bentai posted:

I've never seen the Andretti team be this unreliable during the DW12 era. Very odd.

They'll get it together. Even last year, with an underpowered (garbage) car, Andretti was ready for Indy. They just weren't ready for Townsend Bell.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What did that electric PP means?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

Do the Chevy's have different end plates?

Almost all of the aero surfaces are different between the two makes, though for most of the pieces you need to see them side by side to be able to tell.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

I think its when they're using their push-to-pass??

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

DoctorGonzo posted:

Push to Pass? Gives an extra boost for a certain amount of time.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It's like DRS but they are limited on how many times it can be used.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wirth1000 posted:

I think its when they're using their push-to-pass??

its like DRS or it gives more power to the car?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

From what I understand it's DRS but you can use it whenever you want for a maximum of 200 seconds per race and instead of it being a rear wing flap it's just added boost.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

More power

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It's additional Horsepower. Not drag reduction.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

It's sorta like KERS

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

dentist toy box posted:

It's sorta like KERS

That's what I was trying to remember.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

It's like KERS in that it gives drivers additional on-demand power for passing. It's not like KERS in that there's no energy recovery or anything like that. The engines are tuned down slightly for the race, only to give (true) full power when the P2P button is pressed.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The cars are slower than f1 cars, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

The cars are slower than f1 cars, right?

Yeah, the part behind the wheel are pretty slo---- did he just say Max Chilton? Lmao, MAX CHILTON?!

• Locked thread