Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

I am none of those things, and I think I can just about wrap my head around a tripartite system of government with an executive (the Commission) and two chambers (a Council representing the governments of the member states and a Parliament of directly elected representatives) that can review/amend the executive's proposals.

I don't think the regular's of this thread like you and I are in any capacity a representative sample of any electorate. :v:

Also thank you for proving my point. There are in fact two councils. First the European Council, which is seated by the heads of states of the member states and which elects the commission and handles treaties. Then there is the Council of Minsters (which has a formal title that somehow even more confusing, the Council of the European Union), which is seated by the relevant government ministers of member states and is the second legaslative body of the EU (the first being the parliament). Also, if you're ever bored do actually look up the formal process for legislation in the EU. It is by far the most intrusive and over-complicated legislative system in the world (competing with Iran and the US) and it has intentionally been structured in such a way such to neuter the Parliament and Commission's ability to act too independently of the Council of Ministers and European Council. It's almost comical in just how many of the steps in the legislative process a proposal can get shot down or sent backwards for further review. It was intentionally designed to be obtrusive and slow.

EDIT: Here's a chart of the relationships between EU institutions. Do note how the only directly elected parts of the systems are the member states own parliaments and the European parliament. Everything else is seated by the representatives of other representatives.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Toplowtech posted:

Like seriously i have a Palin-level of expectation for Macron's performance at his incoming debate with Lepen and the fuckers are loving pre-cheering Macron victory like they presold the dead bear rug during the Hillary election. You would think they have learned.

If there's one thing you should know about american Clinton supporters, it's that they're so arrogant they probably still think Clinton is winning.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Al-Saqr posted:

Putin must be jerking off thunderously in the kremlin knowing that he can trick stupid rubes in democracies as much as he likes.

yeah this was definitely putin, every single vote was putin

jfc

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Will they even bother having a debate

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Putin must be jerking off thunderously in the kremlin knowing that he can trick stupid rubes in democracies as much as he likes.

All the Russian-directed social media agitation seems to have been directed against Macron.

unpacked robinhood posted:

"He's such a good looking guy and he sounds reasonable"

I like France and I like the French, so I hope for the best for them, and that's certainly not Le Pen.

MiddleOne posted:

It is by far the most intrusive and over-complicated legislative system in the world (competing with Iran and the US) and it has intentionally been structured in such a way such to neuter the Parliament and Commission's ability to act too independently of the Council of Ministers and European Council. It's almost comical in just how many of the steps in the legislative process a proposal can get shot down or sent backwards for further review. It was intentionally designed to be obtrusive and slow.

You mean to say, it's almost comical how much of the European legislative process is subject to the democratic control of member state governments.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pluskut Tukker posted:

I like France and I like the French, so I hope for the best for them, and that's certainly not Le Pen.

It's certainly not a pretty-faced banker in a suit either

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Toplowtech posted:

Like seriously i have a Palin-level of expectation for Macron's performance at his incoming debate with Lepen and the fuckers are loving pre-cheering Macron victory like they presold the dead bear rug during the Hillary election. You would think they have learned.

Here's the thing: Macron is an empty husk filled with neoliberal platitudes, absolutely. But Marine Le Pen is extremely poo poo at debating. She spectacularly unravels any time someone shows even the hint of a spine when contradicting her.

Macron is running against a Le Pen. It's the easiest runoff he could possibly hope for. He could gently caress it up, but his handlers have probably done the bare minimum prep work for him to get by.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

TheRat posted:

It's certainly not a pretty-faced banker in a suit either

I prefer bankers to fascists, sorry.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
at least it'll be over in two weeks

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hopefully Fillon goes to jail now

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Controversial.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Ironically, I think there may be a third way

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
So the general consensus is that Le Pen will lose the run off, of course keeping in mind that the general consensus was that Hillary would defeat Trump, so take it with a grain of salt, yes?

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It’s going to be great when Germany is forced to invade France to liberate it from fascism

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Well good news, you're getting both.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fillon coming out for Macron on TV atm. It's over.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Sky Shadowing posted:

So the general consensus is that Le Pen will lose the run off, of course keeping in mind that the general consensus was that Hillary would defeat Trump, so take it with a grain of salt, yes?

The only thing you should take with a grain of salt with is people ITT's understanding of statistics and polling.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

You mean to say, it's almost comical how much of the European legislative process is subject to the democratic control of member state governments.

Even the worst bicameral parliaments of the world are less convoluted than the EU legislative process.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
this is a remarkably sober and measured speech from Fillon

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheRat posted:

Ironically, I think there may be a third way

I can't wait to see it

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sky Shadowing posted:

The consensus is that you shouldn't believe the consensus is always right, yes.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/PoliticoRyan/status/856217466716004352

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

QuoProQuid posted:

i am going to enjoy watching a fascist get dunked on two weeks from now

But the neolib will win so france will continue the lovely course that let the nazis get relatively popular anyway. Another 5 years of neolibs swindling the poor will only boost nazi support

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

curried lamb of God posted:

this is a remarkably sober and measured speech from Fillon

He has been chewing boxes of xanax on a daily basis since January

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

Jesus loving Christ, is this ever going to stop?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

This wont lead to violence at all.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

got any sevens posted:

But the neolib will win so france will continue the lovely course that let the nazis get relatively popular anyway. Another 5 years of neolibs swindling the poor will only boost nazi support

nah i'm pretty sure neoliberalism will finally resolve the contradictions of capitalism if we give it one more chance

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

julian assflange posted:

He has been chewing boxes of xanax on a daily basis since January
I hate the fucker and i hope his wife and family make sure he doesn't do something stupid, really.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Why has Melenchon not endorsed Macron already?

Is he secretly supporting LePen?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

I'm guessing he not so secretly hates them both

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Only Melenchon hasn't come out endorsing anyone yet, right?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GaussianCopula posted:

He is presenting himself in the second round anyway

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

No he is just surprisingly not supporting a spawn of neoliberal satan either.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 23, 2017

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Sky Shadowing posted:

France is not America.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hope Mélanchon picks up for a few more votes and jumps Fillon just for the laughs

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Even the worst bicameral parliaments of the world are less convoluted than the EU legislative process.

Just because it's convoluted does not make it undemocratic per se.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Jesus loving Christ, is this ever going to stop?

No, and you'll get plenty more of it in the upcoming British and German elections!

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
400 antifas at the Bastille. And before you start to masturbate furiously, this is customary.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pluskut Tukker posted:

No, and you'll get plenty more of it in the upcoming British and German elections!

But, but, but, is May Clinton or Trump?

(She's neither. The answer is neither.)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Welp, that was dumb. Man with ~24% of the votes is gonna be president of the country for next 5y.

Presidential systems are retarded and should be outlawed by the FDA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

TheRat posted:

This wont lead to violence at all.
Why would that lead to violence?