Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Do Hive Mind pops migrate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Man. You want to see a booby prize, try successfully summoning a psychic avatar and having it give you an avatar ground troop.

Twice.

alcaras posted:

Do Hive Mind pops migrate?
No.

They do flee as refugees, though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Strudel Man posted:

Man. You want to see a booby prize, try successfully summoning a psychic avatar and having it give you an avatar ground troop.

Twice.

No.

They do flee as refugees, though.

You have successfully conquered a planet of titanic life, and conscripted them into your armies. You've avoided the trap of having pissed off godzillas rampage through one of your colonized worlds. As a prize you get three (3) decent armies. You cannot conscript any more. They can be destroyed by one of the corvettes your enemy is spamming toward the front lines if they take a warp jump too late.

I mean, having more than three mediocre-good armies (psionic troops stomp the poo poo out of godzillas) would just be super OP :downs:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

drat it takes a long time to make a Dyson Sphere.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Half the galaxy is split between East and West in these mega-defensive pacts. Meanwhile Im in the middle and just trying get my conquering hat on, stop some of that encroachment on my borders.
Point is: holy poo poo are wars annoying when the ai just microes guys perfectly where you have just left and bombarding your poo poo with one corvette
War takes about 10x as long like this, total slog

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 23, 2017

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010
I've just started modding in the last couple of days and made an attempt at removing ground combat: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911546934

Instead of the whole "bombard fortifications to nothing, move in army, invade" rigamarole I put in an event to make the bombarder take control of the planet shortly after the fortifications hit 0. To balance this out, planet fortifications are quite a bit higher so the process takes about the same amount of time, but with much less hassle.

Anything I could find that gives armies, attachments, or army-specific bonuses have been replaced with other bonuses. Common things are -unrest to make up for the lack of army-based suppression and planet fortification / navy bonuses to replace the army's role in taking planets.

Like I said, this is my first time modding so feedback is very much appreciated!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why can't I genetically engineer my main species to worm loved? Only the capital world is blessed and I can't kill off or displace my old pops because they also count as the main species. :(

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Twice.

To be fair, you can build fleets that get pretty strong but you are never going to be able to build an army unit even close to as strong as a psychic avatar. It's even stronger than the titanic army stuff. I mean the ship is better but there's that silver lining at least. Like once you have 150-200k fleet strength anyways.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 23, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TorakFade posted:

I am going to start a new game tomorrow, what are the current must-have (or very-cool-to-have anyway) mods for 1.5.1?
Just get Awful Utopia and you're set imo

I can also recommend:

-The Tiny Outliner and other Tiny *** mods for making a lot of the UI more convenient

-Ship Power Stations and Advanced Ship Behavior Modules for a bit more freedom and flavour in ship design

-Cybrxkhan's Assorted Namelists for more namelists than you could possibly ever want. It includes "Space Finnish" if you want some UnReal World vibes in your Stellaris. :v:

-More Events Mod because more event variety is good. I haven't noticed anything that would really stand out in a bad way by sounding amateurish or anything.

-Guilliman's Planet Modifiers seems really cool but I haven't played a game with it yet.

-Add whatever flag packs and other cosmetic chaff to taste.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Jacque Pott posted:

I've just started modding in the last couple of days and made an attempt at removing ground combat: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911546934

Instead of the whole "bombard fortifications to nothing, move in army, invade" rigamarole I put in an event to make the bombarder take control of the planet shortly after the fortifications hit 0. To balance this out, planet fortifications are quite a bit higher so the process takes about the same amount of time, but with much less hassle.

Anything I could find that gives armies, attachments, or army-specific bonuses have been replaced with other bonuses. Common things are -unrest to make up for the lack of army-based suppression and planet fortification / navy bonuses to replace the army's role in taking planets.

Like I said, this is my first time modding so feedback is very much appreciated!
Interesting! I'll try it out

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Krazyface posted:

I'm in an odd position here.

Two Fallen Empires woke up, one of them took me over, and then they went to war. As this was going on, a lovely little empire I had defeated and cut off in the early game, the Glyrrans, declared war on me, so I beat them and forced their lone expansion to become independent. Apparently, in doing this I guaranteed the independence of the offshoot. The Hazar Zealots, the FE that patronised me, has declared war on the Glyrran expansion, and by extension me (they did this in the middle of their war with the other FE, for some reason). BUT I am still considered a dependent on them; I can't (for example) tell the Glyrrans to get hosed, because I'm not independent (though the tithe went away, at least).

The Glyrran war goals are to liberate me, and humiliate the Hazar. The Hazar war goals are to take a bunch of my planets and do nothing at all to the Glyrrans. I am still considered part of the Hazar dominion, and they have a pretty high opinion of me.

BTW the other FE's grand fleet is attacking the main Hazar fleet AS THIS HAPPENS.

Console command end the war with a white peace.

Console is the only way to make it through war in heaven right now in my experience

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's pretty cool that their major story DLC's primary feature is totally broken.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Demiurge4 posted:

It's pretty cool that their major story DLC's primary feature is totally broken.

I have an awakened fallen empire, which I became a subject to, and the loving unbidden, who are eating everyone. The awakened empire is currently giving no fucks about the unbidden.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

GlyphGryph posted:

Console command end the war with a white peace.

Console is the only way to make it through war in heaven right now in my experience

Cozy up to one side and try to get their tech. When you've approached the level where you can ambush and take one fleet you can actually start fighting them. Fallen Empires always value their colonies really highly, so try to make a couple of trap systems with snares around one of their colonies. Then invade it and ambush their fleets which should hopefully arrive one at a time. Get them when they warp in so you don't take the titan damage.
You can grab the ascension perk as well.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Word of warning: If you have a highly ranked psychic admiral, the force display will be significantly higher (25% or so) than your actual forces...but they still die about as quickly, so don't trust it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

OH GOD THERE ARE MULTIPLE UNBIDDEN WHAT THE FLYING gently caress HEEEELP

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

ElMaligno posted:

OH GOD THERE ARE MULTIPLE UNBIDDEN WHAT THE FLYING gently caress HEEEELP

Ain't no party like a galactic hunting party!

For what it is worth, they do count as separate entities / forces. So you won't have one group helping to save the other from having their portal sniped out or joining forces in fights etc.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Wiz, please make an Earth pre-FTL that has syncretic evolution with a chimp race dominating enslaved humans

This is brilliant.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Huh, I thought my summoned avatar bugged out on me. I didn't think consider the idea of a one man planet invader.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
What are some good builds for a "nice guy on the block" run? The bonus for being xenophile seems pretty underwhelming at first glance, is there any way to leverage that?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hmmmm, I just discovered something interesting you can do. Start a new game, select your home planet, open the console and enter "event akx.10020" without the quotation marks. Getting half a dozen colonizable planets in the starting system right from the get go may not be particularly balanced but some are ludicrously tiny and not worth it. Feel the love. :can:

Or if you're smarter than me you can just make a new race, close the game, go into the stellaris folder under my documents, open up the use empires file and edit the planet preference to pc_nuked and get the tomb world start that way. :downs:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Just got a popup about how my science officer was awestruck by the ringworld of the AE, long after I already built one

Fuckin yokels

Also the AE is suddenly convinced that it's protecting the galaxy from a crisis even though the Unbidden were put down years ago and I've been successfully dealing with their arrogant crap up until now :confused:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shugojin posted:

Just got a popup about how my science officer was awestruck by the ringworld of the AE, long after I already built one

Fuckin yokels

Also the AE is suddenly convinced that it's protecting the galaxy from a crisis even though the Unbidden were put down years ago and I've been successfully dealing with their arrogant crap up until now :confused:

Fallen Empires in general work very good in Stellaris. The best!

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

How do you grow your borders more?

My current empire seems to be a collection of islands due to lack of good planets, while the AI empires are big, continous blobs?

Should I build frontier stations in between and remove them later, or what?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's an expansion tradition that lowers frontier outpost upkeep by 50%, which is insanely good if you're trying to start with few colonies for fast research/unity, or if you have no good planets nearby.

I had 4 planets colonized but was one of the largest empires by spacemass in one of my games thanks to that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So in my Purifier game I finally got to see the Unbidden arrive. I was loving pumped, because none of the rest of the galaxy had anywhere near the fleet power to defend themselves, making these strange ethereals my new best purging buddies.

Then for about 30 years they did almost nothing. Took over some barely owned parts of an outer arm, suicided some fleets into my single fortified system, and destroyed a sum total of 7 planets. For a bunch of folks on an interdimensional crusade that's some pretty amateur hour poo poo.

P.S. Wiz, please, please let us break truces, even if you have to pay thousands of minerals (to the other side even) or something. Cycles of sitting around doing nothing for ten years so I can finish purging the universe are not interesting gameplay.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

JuniperCake posted:

To be fair, you can build fleets that get pretty strong but you are never going to be able to build an army unit even close to as strong as a psychic avatar. It's even stronger than the titanic army stuff. I mean the ship is better but there's that silver lining at least. Like once you have 150-200k fleet strength anyways.
But you can easily build army groups that are far stronger. And earlier in the game, when your fleet cap puts you at less than 10k strength, that avatar really helps.

Incidentally, evasion is definitely garbage. Built a fleet of 90% evasion corvettes, and while it had a high dodge rate against kinetic batteries, everything else was listed in the 20s and 30s at best. Thing got torn to shreds by a fleet with half its listed strength. Trash.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
One thing that's always confused me about war and truces - you can request open borders as a war goal, but you get that anyway during a truce, right? What's the point? The only time I tried it they closed their borders anyway after the truce ended, or not much longer afterward.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Since purging is now handled as a species-level "right", is there any way to stop purging once its begun? I recaptured two planets that the Prethoryn Swarm had occupied, but all the pops on those worlds are stuck being purged.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Since purging is now handled as a species-level "right", is there any way to stop purging once its begun? I recaptured two planets that the Prethoryn Swarm had occupied, but all the pops on those worlds are stuck being purged.
I think? that if you make sure they're not set to be murdered under your own choices, it should end the purging maybe the next month?

Pretty hilarious if it doesn't, though.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

BabyFur Denny posted:

What are some good builds for a "nice guy on the block" run? The bonus for being xenophile seems pretty underwhelming at first glance, is there any way to leverage that?

Pacifist + xenophile works well - excellent unity output, especially if you liberate and federalise rather than vassalise, as the unity buff once you have a few federation members of any size is very good.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Strudel Man posted:

I think? that if you make sure they're not set to be murdered under your own choices, it should end the purging maybe the next month?

Pretty hilarious if it doesn't, though.

The pops being purged belong to both my founder species and to a subject species, neither or which had their rights set to purge. I banned purging at the empire-level, but they're still being purged after letting a couple of months tick.

Oh well. Its not as big a loss as selecting the Guardian of the Galaxy perk, thinking I would need it to beat the swarm. turns out i only had to pop their colony ships and any infested worlds, and their fleets disappeared without an engagement :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Gadzuko posted:

One thing that's always confused me about war and truces - you can request open borders as a war goal, but you get that anyway during a truce, right? What's the point? The only time I tried it they closed their borders anyway after the truce ended, or not much longer afterward.

If its the only thing you want its quick and easy to get and you wont need a long drawn out war just a quick strike and theyll agree. Hypothetically.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Jeesh. There is an embarassingly large amount of stuff that outright doesn't work, isn't there.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

Cozy up to one side and try to get their tech. When you've approached the level where you can ambush and take one fleet you can actually start fightinge them. Fallen Empires always value their colonies really highly, so try to make a couple of trap systems with snares around one of their colonies. Then invade it and ambush their fleets which should hopefully arrive one at a time. Get them when they warp in so you don't take the titan damage.
You can grab the ascension perk as well.

This does absolutely no good if the war breaks and I have ever had it not break. And then the crisis inevitably happens in the middle of the broken war and when you beat it back three awakened empires including your ally who all decided to declare war on you and join the empire you have been stuck in a war with for five decades. Also you cant win any of those wars because taking every planet still only gives you like 10 warscore lol

The best thing to do is just kill the other of any pair of opposed empires as soon as one awakens
and prevent the bullshit from ever kicking off.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

If its the only thing you want its quick and easy to get and you wont need a long drawn out war just a quick strike and theyll agree. Hypothetically.

I guess, but humiliate seems like it was created specifically for that purpose, sooo... :shrug:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

This does absolutely no good if the war breaks and I have ever had it not break. And then the crisis inevitably happens in the middle of the broken war and when you beat it back three awakened empires including your ally who all decided to declare war on you and join the empire you have been stuck in a war with for five decades. Also you cant win any of those wars because taking every planet still only gives you like 10 warscore lol

The best thing to do is just kill the other of any pair of opposed empires as soon as one awakens
and prevent the bullshit from ever kicking off.

There should be an option to disable WIH without having to disable the rest of Leviathans DLC because pretty much everything else in it is great. WIH was a cool concept and one that I looked forward to but its execution was about as bad as it could possibly have been.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Gobblecoque posted:

There should be an option to disable WIH without having to disable the rest of Leviathans DLC because pretty much everything else in it is great. WIH was a cool concept and one that I looked forward to but its execution was about as bad as it could possibly have been.
Yes, please. And rework it later.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The more I play and read about Utopia the more it feels like they ran out of time to do the poo poo they wanted to do in full. 1.6 sounds promising on fixing a lot of the little things since that's its core goal this time, I hope we get it pretty soon.

Also an idea I had for a future patch or maybe a mod, an 8th tradition that unlocks on the first major ascension perk pick for each type, customized for psi/bio/synths. Also maybe an additional one for hive minds. Hive minds in general just do not feel interesting enough right now, basically a stripped down regular empire that doesn't have to worry about habitability, which is strong no doubt, but very bland.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Gadzuko posted:

I guess, but humiliate seems like it was created specifically for that purpose, sooo... :shrug:

You can declare war to dismantle a frontier outpost which you can do for free with a fleet and 6 real life seconds while pursuing another goal.

• Locked thread