Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I worked for a company that was terrified of their app going down because no one knew how to bring it back up. The whole thing was a mess a circular dependencies no one had ever mapped, code written by people who left the company a decade before, and undocumented exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

CommieGIR posted:

The biggest issue I'm running into, and I have 10 years of doing consulting with IT Operations groups and Datacenter groups, is that their processes are not documented, they have no Standards and Practices, nothing is documented. Even their infrastructure is nothing more than a drawining on a whiteboard, the only hard infrasctructure documentation they have is more than 4 years old now.
Yep yep, that's another thing about it - 3 people who do the work that 50 people should do, don't have time for your silly rear end documenting. :)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Having flashbacks to the app that was used for the project I was on a couple jobs ago. Every server in the cluster made its own specific connections to an oracle database, and each time you added a server to a specific role the config had to have all the previous servers listed or else it wouldn't work right. To do a full restart of the thing you had to shut everything down, and then start one of each server role in the right order. Then you could start the rest. It also took 20-40 minutes for each instance to fully start so it was stupid slow.

I was just glad once other people took that responsibility on and the graveyard shift people were doing all that. You are being paid because you have all this knowledge and then would be using it to babysit this dumb service for half your shift and then making tickets with the vender and calling people in the middle of the night when it didn't go as planned.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yep yep, that's another thing about it - 3 people who do the work that 50 people should do, don't have time for your silly rear end documenting. :)

The problem is they have been hiring and have expanded their headcount a lot, but are too busy putting out fires that shouldn't be fires because they don't put the things in place like Logstash or Splunk and Monitoring that will help pre-empt the fires.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

They're going through what my team went through over the last few years. We exploded in growth from a mom and pop, to mid sized, to enterprise, all within a 5 year period. Go easy on them - they WANT to grow, and they realize a lot of their processes are garbage, but a lot of them were Good Enough for the time.
My place is going through the same thing, when I started there were like 20 people tops and now there's about 100 or more but they still run the place like a pokey little business where lots of process flow through a single person. Bugs the hell out of me because I can imagine this place growing a lot more (we need to move office again as we're out of space) and I'm in a good position to move up, but I don't want to hang on to hopes while having low pay when there's better stuff out there.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Gave my notice last week. :toot:

Was working for a few years for a very toxic and systemically mismanaged fintech company. Glad to be getting out of finance. Just some of the dumb poo poo I experienced throughout the years:

• Layoffs every 6 to 9 months, entire departments are being cleaned out and jobs are shipped overseas. They just completed the 4th round of layoffs.
  • Client support is being transitioned to the business-side. All technical issues will now be handled by people with no technical skills and those who do not have a troubleshooting mindset. I feel sorry for the actual second and third tier support techs who are going to have to waste their time now with this bullshit.
  • No communication between the various IT departments. It's all politics, especially when you reach the managerial level. There are a lot of cases of verbal sparring. Not to mention a lot of managers desparately clinging on to their old ways of doing things while simultaneously inflating our technical debt.
  • An extremely poor executive team that has no vision and just shrug their shoulders at every problem that comes their way.

Pretty sure this company is slowly transforming into losing significant market share, and they'll use this as an excuse to shrink the # of products we have and thereby shrink the size of the company. They're constantly screwing over their employees, and people are quitting more and more frequently. gently caress 'em, glad I'm out.

Weaponized Autism fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 23, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Super Slash posted:

My place is going through the same thing, when I started there were like 20 people tops and now there's about 100 or more but they still run the place like a pokey little business where lots of process flow through a single person. Bugs the hell out of me because I can imagine this place growing a lot more (we need to move office again as we're out of space) and I'm in a good position to move up, but I don't want to hang on to hopes while having low pay when there's better stuff out there.
Your mileage is going to vary, but for me, it played out like this. Internal monologue follows: I feel like I fell behind on my career a bit by taking two straight jobs that turned out to be not what I planned. I took this job as a senior sys admin at a small shop where people seem to have their heads on straight. Then lo and behold, we get bought by a company who got bought by a company, and now I have more money in the budget than I know what to do with, access to all the toys in the world, and MCSEs and CCNPs asking me if I can bring them in for an interview. I am going to hold perfectly still and hope to become invisible so that nobody notices I am punching far, far above my weight.

In your case though, with it up to 100 people and still relying on single points of failure it's possible that they're going to take so long adapting to their new reality that it's going to damage your career, so of course, your mileage varies.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Boss strikes again.
Last week.
Hey Sefal, I don't know what happened when you were gone but suddenly these servers stopped working. I restored them, but I can't logon to the KMS server. It says: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed. Do you know what this is?
Me: Remove the server from the domain and then join it back to the domain.
boss: Nah. it works fine now. Logged in as local admin
Me: it's harmless to remove it from the domain and then join it back. When you restored it. The Sid that the domain has of the server doesn't match up with the sid of the Server itself.

A week passes.
Boss: Man I have no idea why this happened? domain trust lost.
Me: Did you join it back to the domain?
boss: No
Me: I'll do it.
Boss. Hey! look at that error is gone now. Logging in now as domain admin, let's see what happens

:suicide:

Apparently a server was struck with a virus (not crypto) on my vacation. Instead of wiping the server clean and restoring a backup. Which in turn would verify the backup procedure. Boss decided to just run a virus scanner that found and quarantined the virus. And the server has been running ever since.
I have e-mailed my boss that I want to wipe the server and restore it from a backup prior to the date that it was infected. Because I believe the server can no longer be trusted after an infection.
Mostly CYA. Hasn't responded yet.

I expect a no. Would it be ok for me to e-mail people who are higher up about this if he does say no?
I can't sit idly by on a server that i see as a ticking time bomb.

Edit: Talked with boss about this

"I'm not sure if a restore would work. If it happens again, we wipe it"

Sefal fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 24, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think if you use this as a practise run in being able to switch off what you give a gently caress about then you will improve your stress levels quite nicely. You've identified a potential risk, informed the person above you who makes the decisions, they've ignored it. Maybe bring it up in a department meeting in a "hey, not had a response on this" way but then try to let it go and stop worrying about it, otherwise you will drown under the stress of carrying everybody else's lovely decisions around with you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Do it yourself and log it as an emergency repair. Better to ask forgiveness, etc.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sefal posted:

Apparently a server was struck with a virus (not crypto) on my vacation. Instead of wiping the server clean and restoring a backup. Which in turn would verify the backup procedure. Boss decided to just run a virus scanner that found and quarantined the virus. And the server has been running ever since.
I have e-mailed my boss that I want to wipe the server and restore it from a backup prior to the date that it was infected. Because I believe the server can no longer be trusted after an infection.
Mostly CYA. Hasn't responded yet.

I expect a no. Would it be ok for me to e-mail people who are higher up about this if he does say no?
I can't sit idly by on a server that i see as a ticking time bomb.

Not really something that warrants escalation. If the virus is contained, there's not even really any problem with the machine, that's the point of AV. A CYA doesn't hurt, but I don't see how this is in any way a special event if it's just a generic virus.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

I think if you use this as a practise run in being able to switch off what you give a gently caress about then you will improve your stress levels quite nicely. You've identified a potential risk, informed the person above you who makes the decisions, they've ignored it. Maybe bring it up in a department meeting in a "hey, not had a response on this" way but then try to let it go and stop worrying about it, otherwise you will drown under the stress of carrying everybody else's lovely decisions around with you.

Thank you. I will do that. At this point, I've let it go after talking to my boss about it. Which actually pulled up some more worrying stuff. But i'll deal with that when I can

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

SEKCobra posted:

Not really something that warrants escalation. If the virus is contained, there's not even really any problem with the machine, that's the point of AV. A CYA doesn't hurt, but I don't see how this is in any way a special event if it's just a generic virus.

This is Geek Squad working on Grandmas computer levels of bad advice. Don't ever trust antivirus programs to do anything correctly and if it detected anything engage in full risk mitigation mode.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

milk milk lemonade posted:

This is Geek Squad working on Grandmas computer levels of bad advice. Don't ever trust antivirus programs to do anything correctly and if it detected anything engage in full risk mitigation mode.

Ok, you be paranoid about generic viruses which are well researched and can be traced back to an origin and have a specific behavior, I'll just work with objective facts and not get grey hair over nothing. I'm not saying ignore viruses, but a virus that was successfully quarantined never infected anything and poses no threat.
Either you stick to your "AV ain't worth poo poo", then we can just ignore the virus alert all together I suppose, or you say you trust the AV to have detected something and you use their recommended solution. If you are gonna use AV, you are retarded if you then decide that you don't trust it and need to spend your precious time on a non-existent problem.

Do you also call the police over unauthorized attempts to connect to port 22?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
You're a loving idiot and you have no idea what you're talking about. Hope this helps!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I would agree with a contained virus on a workstation not connected to my domain, but on a server, not a chance, that poo poo is getting wiped as soon as it's flagged.

It's like backup thread says, RAID isn't a backup, and in the same sense the AV software on a server shouldn't be the end all solution. It should be used as a warning and then fixed properly like a failed disk on a RAID array that you have backups of.

Even with known good backups I'm sure your manager would replace a failed disk in a RAID array?

Rudager fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 24, 2017

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

You're a loving idiot and you have no idea what you're talking about. Hope this helps!

Ok, uninstalling AV now and reinstalling every server because there were viruses touching them.

Hell, I'm going to flatten our file servers, because user shares were touched by cryptoviruses, too!

Explain your 0-tolerance policy instead of being a oval office.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Yah I would've gladly explained it to you if you hadn't included some iditiotic comment about unauthorized port scanning/whatever you're trying to say there.

It has nothing to do with a perception that virus's are magic dude. It was in my first post - risk mitigation. And even more importantly how is a server responsible for internal licensing getting hit with virus's? What was the actual attack vector? Are more servers compromised? You roll it back/destroy it in case AV didn't get everything (it never does, even the ones that can guess at what's a virus now). It's 2017 it should take you way less time to rebuild a server than deal with the potential fallout of a breach.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have a functioning backup infrastructure then why the gently caress would you bother to clean a virus out of a server :psyduck:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Virus on a desktop? Contain it and clean it. Its fine. I usually wipe my desktops if they get infected, but its fine.

Virus on a Server? :sherman:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I want to know how you actually get a virus on a server these days. I'm not even mad, that's impressive.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Yah I would've gladly explained it to you if you hadn't included some iditiotic comment about unauthorized port scanning/whatever you're trying to say there.

It has nothing to do with a perception that virus's are magic dude. It was in my first post - risk mitigation. And even more importantly how is a server responsible for internal licensing getting hit with virus's? What was the actual attack vector? Are more servers compromised? You roll it back/destroy it in case AV didn't get everything (it never does, even the ones that can guess at what's a virus now). It's 2017 it should take you way less time to rebuild a server than deal with the potential fallout of a breach.

I don't really see the risk. I mean I run a segregated infrastructure with no AV on most servers anyway. But somehow playing up the fact that ANY virus touched a server is ridiculous.
First of all you have to look at what kind of virus it was. And what kind of detection. My file server has AV so I know when a user has a virus and copies it on there if they have an outdated AV or whatever. Just because the AV detected a virus in a user folder doesn't mean I'm going into panic mode and revert to backups. The OP gave no details about what kind of virus or how it was detected. If his boss is even willing to take the liability, you really don't have to give much of a gently caress when it's possibly a harmless virus on a sheltered spooler at best.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SEKCobra posted:

I don't really see the risk. I mean I run a segregated infrastructure with no AV on most servers anyway. But somehow playing up the fact that ANY virus touched a server is ridiculous.
First of all you have to look at what kind of virus it was. And what kind of detection. My file server has AV so I know when a user has a virus and copies it on there if they have an outdated AV or whatever. Just because the AV detected a virus in a user folder doesn't mean I'm going into panic mode and revert to backups. The OP gave no details about what kind of virus or how it was detected. If his boss is even willing to take the liability, you really don't have to give much of a gently caress when it's possibly a harmless virus on a sheltered spooler at best.

In this day and age, with breaches left and right, if the infection is on the server itself and its not a file server, its better safe than sorry to just restore the system to a prior point.

I still want to know how it got infected in the first place, is it a file share?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I still want to know how it got infected in the first place, is it a file share?

My bet is a terminal server without re-directed profiles, hence the reluctance to wiping it.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

SEKCobra posted:

You don't see the risk because you're either not working at an enterprise level or you are on the path to getting slammed someday. Like I said, the virus itself is actually secondary to the vector. If someone can get a virus on a server they might be able to do a whole lot more and do something more effective next time. But the first thing you do is rollback or destroy that server to mitigate any additional risk that endpoint may introduce.

Your scenario isn't really worth the time picking apart because it's missing the forest for the trees.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
It is a file server. And we got hit with Derusbi malware.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sefal posted:

It is a file server. And we got hit with Derusbi malware.

http://www.novetta.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Derusbi.pdf

Interesting reading.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody have experience with Trend Micro Business blocking DRM software from running? I've got an engineer who needs to run some serial communications software for testing, but it won't run at all with our AV client running. I'm working on getting the program whitelisted with the client, but I recommended that he contact the software company because this seems really sketch as to why Trend Micro would block the new version of this software.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Yeah it's actively making changes to the server. Burn it and restore. No point loving around once it gains access to services and firewall.

But this is unnecessary in this thread, friend. IT is a wide industry full of every personally and opinion you can imagine, but we're all here because we like to share information and viewpoints.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I am sorry. That is my fault. I should have included all info in the original post

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Not content to just say "I disagree", goons must attack your intelligence as well.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I was recommended papercut previously. I checked it out and it looks alright. It claims to do what I need but who knows how it is to implement and get working properly.
Xerox also tried to sell me a 3rd party solution; Cirrato. It seemed stupidly complex and expensive but might actually work?

In other news; Cheeki Breeki phishing attacks are getting really sneaky.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/20/how-to-spot-a-phishing-attempt-fake-apple-site/

quote:

It is possible to register domains such as “xn--pple-43d.com”, which is equivalent to “аpple.com”. It may not be obvious at first glance, but “аpple.com” uses the Cyrillic “а” (U+0430) rather than the ASCII “a” (U+0061). This is known as a homograph attack.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If an unprivileged user manages to get some malware on a fully patched system, where I can be reasonably confident that there was no escalation because no one's going to be wasting zero days on my customers, I'll take a whack at cleaning it up. I'm usually willing to put about an hour in to it, which is more than enough time to clean up the simple stuff. Any more than that and it's :pt: time because it'll be a quicker way back to a clean system.

If it hit a privileged user or if there's any reasonable chance of privilege escalation there's no bothering to try to clean it up. I'd assume most people don't generally have unprivileged users logging in to the server where they can get hit by malware, so...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Terminal servers are another thing, those should be locked down so much the virus can't escape the user context even if for some retarded reason you let them run software. And that's why the attack vector and virus are important, if it's using a zero-day, you might be hosed, if it's gome generic police-lockdown thing, destroy the session and dump the profile, done.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:yotj: after nearly three years at this place. Which wasn't bad after the first couple of months and my managers (with exactly one exception) were freaking amazing, but no amount of good people is going to help when you're underpaid and have an itch to get out of the industry in the next five years or so.

Man it's been forever since I've had to give notice.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 24, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Vargatron posted:

Not content to just say "I disagree", goons must attack your intelligence as well.
When the shoe fits,

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

anthonypants posted:

When the shoe fits,

You get to live happily ever after with your prince?

OWLS! posted:

:yotj: after nearly three years at this place. Which wasn't bad after the first couple of months and my managers (with exactly one exception) were freaking amazing, but no amount of good people is going to help when you're underpaid and have an itch to get out of the industry in the next five years or so.

Man it's been forever since I've had to give notice.

I spent a little over 10 years at my last job. The only reason I had any idea of what to expect from the job search process was because of reading these threads. The entire job search/interviewing/giving notice process was so anxiety inducing I'm surprised I followed through with it.

Now that I'm 8-ish months into the new job, it is clear to me that I spent 3-5 years too long and the last one, and am going to have to work hard to make up that time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SEKCobra posted:

Terminal servers are another thing, those should be locked down so much the virus can't escape the user context even if for some retarded reason you let them run software. And that's why the attack vector and virus are important, if it's using a zero-day, you might be hosed, if it's gome generic police-lockdown thing, destroy the session and dump the profile, done.

Yeah, terminal servers are an entirely different beast. I have one customer that has them and we do nightly exports of the VM images for both. If despite our efforts to idiot-proof it nature manages to send a better idiot our way we can have everyone switch over to the unaffected server and it'll take about two hours to restore the broken one from the previous night's backup. So far the worst we've ever had happen is someone managed to get an honest to goodness P2P virus which just filled the user's home directory with "britney spears sex tape.mpg.scr" type stuff.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Anyone using ADFS with O365, I've been getting some mileage out of this tool: http://jackstromberg.com/o365-smart-linksso-link-generator/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

wolrah posted:

If despite our efforts to idiot-proof it nature manages to send a better idiot
When this place first started out they contracted a one-man-band MSP to build out their infrastructure, SBS2011 was always a diamond but the guy also setup a 2008r2 RDS... but no gateway with the local administrator account active using a not so fantastic password. :v: