Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How, i.e. through what channel, were losses "admitted" historically? Like when the game says a loss was admitted does that mean that someone put out a press release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much. There were loss reports in the papers.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

23 April 1943

Japanese patrol boat No. 39 (former destroyer Tade), torpedoed by US submarine Seawolf east of Taiwan.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
It's kind of hard to keep losses secret unless you, I don't know, keep the ship's survivors locked away without letting them talk to their family and friends.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

sullat posted:

It's kind of hard to keep losses secret unless you, I don't know, keep the ship's survivors locked away without letting them talk to their family and friends.

Didn't they basically do exactly that with ships they wanted the loss of kept quiet? Sending survivors to random places in the middle of the Pacific?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

:chloe:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

McNally posted:

Didn't they basically do exactly that with ships they wanted the loss of kept quiet? Sending survivors to random places in the middle of the Pacific?

I know that the Japanese specifically tried to do this with the Midway survivors, so that word about losing four fleet carriers wouldn't get out.

Dangeresque
Dec 6, 2008
I have a game related question. When there are damaged enemy bombers do any of them not make it back to base but crash within the fog of war? or is what you see what you get?

So for example is five damaged liberators really four damaged and one that had to ditch in the Pacific, or does the game not work that way. It seems weird to me for the game to under sell the number of downed enemy given that in the real war the claimed air to air victories always seem to be about double what was actually shot down.

Given who we're playing as I would think that the game would claim twenty bombers shot down for every ten sent over by the enemy.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Dangeresque posted:

I have a game related question. When there are damaged enemy bombers do any of them not make it back to base but crash within the fog of war? or is what you see what you get?

So for example is five damaged liberators really four damaged and one that had to ditch in the Pacific, or does the game not work that way. It seems weird to me for the game to under sell the number of downed enemy given that in the real war the claimed air to air victories always seem to be about double what was actually shot down.

Given who we're playing as I would think that the game would claim twenty bombers shot down for every ten sent over by the enemy.

I think they can crash on the way home and the game records them as operational losses. This is commonly seen when a carrier goes down and its airgroup has to ditch.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Dangeresque posted:

Yes, there is always the chance of an ops loss when a plane tries to land, and that chance goes up significantly if the plane is damaged.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

A lone destroyer out of nowhere does what carriers have been unable to do – it gets a hit on one of my carriers!

We bring down a fighter today.

Then a bomber!

Well, Lets have a look at our wounded hero.

Hmm, not bad, but the whole task force is getting due a refit. In fact, I decide to send the Kiddo Butai back for refit now, and the main force will go off when they return. That way I always have carriers in the region. Plus its quiet now.

Confirming an Oiler is nice.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Were all the screens just asleep or something? The Sims strolls up, tags a fleet carrier, and then saunters off as though nothing had happened? Geez.

udgaards
Mar 20, 2010
My guess is the captain used his massive balls to deflect all incomming shells

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

udgaards posted:

My guess is the captain used his massive balls to deflect all incomming shells

In this timeline John Wayne plays nothing but destroyer captains, children play "Destroyer Captain" at recess and Japanese Destroyer Captain is just a 400 page rant about how there were heroic destroyer captains in the IJN, too, goddammit, it wasn't just Yamato.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

How.... how?

What.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Did Kurita die on his destroyer or not? if so RIP Draconis Combine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Japanese damage control is going to turn that 6 damage to 99 in a day

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Fitting to see the Sims on the same day the Neosho was confirmed sunk. Obviously the destroyer was overcome with grief and attempted to take it out on the entire Kido Butai

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Japanese damage control is going to turn that 6 damage to 99 in a day

'Quick stomp that fire out with this half full fuel tank!'.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Grey set his destroyers at the wrong sea level

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

whitewhale posted:

'Quick stomp that fire out with this half full fuel tank!'.

The way to stop this fire from spreading is to build a firebreak out of Long Lances

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Claiming the Sims as my lucky ship.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

dylguy90 posted:

Claiming the Sims as my lucky ship.

Done

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RA Rx posted:

How.... how?

What.

And not only did he manage to sock a CV in the nose, he apparently slipped right back out again. Perhaps the Americans have developed a new submersible destroyer.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

All destroyers are submersible once

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Grey set his destroyers at the wrong sea level

I don't believe this is possible but drat if it doesn't sounds like something this game would have.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

RA Rx posted:

How.... how?

What.
You know the naval doctrine of "Crossing the T" well the Captain of the Sims decided to "dot the i" and it somehow worked.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 25, 2017

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
How does refitting work in general? will you get upgrades on your carriers and ships or doe sit just mean general rehaul and fixing of most minor operational damage?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

wedgekree posted:

How does refitting work in general? will you get upgrades on your carriers and ships or doe sit just mean general rehaul and fixing of most minor operational damage?

The game tells you when a refit is due. You're supposed to send the ship into a port with the appropriate facilities and let it "repair" into the refit.

If you don't, then the ship never improves.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
The good news is that you can toggle whether or not you want a ship to refit. The bad news is it's really easy to miss when one of your capital ships is due for refit when you're just patching up some minor damage which can really botch any otherwise well-laid plans you might have made.

Refit times vary from a week or two all the way up to a several months in the case of one or two of the British carriers. That refit's kinda worth it because it boosts its aircraft capacity from 30ish to 55ish. But it's also kinda not, because you have to withdraw it from the theater only a month or two after it completes that long-rear end refit.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

CannonFodder posted:

You know the naval doctrine of "Crossing the T" well the Captain of the Sims decided to "dot the i" and it somehow worked.

Which is a crazy bold miracle in and of itself...
but there were also hundreds of planes in the area!

It didn't look like a storm.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 26, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They deployed so much smoke it was impossible to see anything for 20 miles.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I wish this was regular enough for me to lay a trap...

A kill is a kill.

I'm still not sure if this is a good trade or not.

Another day.

The I-23 goes down.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aww.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

That's not our plucky battleship-wrecking I-21, that's some other random sub that happened to be wandering about.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Grey Hunter posted:

A kill is a kill.

This is basically what my grandfather did from 1943-45 (flying Beaufighters in Burma, that is)

They flew out of SE Bangladesh on long-range interdiction missions and shot up every paddle steamer, barge, train, oil pipeline and truck between Mandalay and Rangoon, to staunch the flow of materiel to the front lines.

Once they got up and over the Arakan mountains they had the whole Irawaddy Valley laid out ahead of them, so they'd drop altitude and go in low and fast. Enemy aircraft were apparently rarely an issue as a.) there were relatively enemy few fighters in the theatre, b.) the Japanese had almost no warning before a strike and c.) flat-out the Beaufighters could outrun or keep pace with the Ki-27s and 43s that were around.
Flak was much more of a problem, as was regaining altitude to make it over the mountains on the way home if you sustained any engine damage.

On a related note, if you ever go to the Australian National Aviation Museum in Moorabbin near Melbourne, they have a Beaufighter on display in good shape.
If you ask very nicely they'll let you sit in it!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
That's really cool. My old landlord lost a leg over Europe in some kind of big bomber. Those things look so rickety from the inside, but I suppose that's mostly just because it's not superficially smoothed over with plastic molding.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I-23 was sunk by a bomb?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RA Rx posted:

I-23 was sunk by a bomb?

PBYs, the unsung heroes of all wars?

Adbot