Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm sorry Leigh but I'm just not going to sit here and pity Dixon for not winning at this particular track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

The AJ Foyt cars are tragic.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Josef :toot:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
2017 Verizon IndyCar Series Champion Sebastian Bourdais finishes 8th

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

If the points battle all year is Josef and Hinch I will be a happy man.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Why is Leigh Diffey so obsessed with how articulate Newgarden is?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Well, that was actually relatively fun to watch. I can't remember the last time I watched an IndyCar race from start to finish and I do watch more than just F1 but never gave IndyCar a second glance.

As long as you look past the American Exceptionalism which tries to shroud that this is a bunch of terrible and washed-up drivers in heavy ugly cars and seemingly implies this is some sort of top-tier series then, yeah, it's a lot of fun. I think I'll be watching the next race as well which hopefully will be more indicative of the coverage vs. an extended interview of Actually Good Racing Driver in the booth.

NBC's graphics are atrocious. Is there an alternative?

Also, I've only been just exposed to this man but gently caress Townsend Bell forever. What an atrocious person and I hate listening to him.

Thanks for having me, IndyCar thread.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Well, that was actually relatively fun to watch. I can't remember the last time I watched an IndyCar race from start to finish and I do watch more than just F1 but never gave IndyCar a second glance.

As long as you look past the American Exceptionalism which tries to shroud that this is a bunch of terrible and washed-up drivers in heavy ugly cars and seemingly implies this is some sort of top-tier series then, yeah, it's a lot of fun. I think I'll be watching the next race as well which hopefully will be more indicative of the coverage vs. an extended interview of Actually Good Racing Driver in the booth.

Also, I've only been just exposed to this man but gently caress Townsend Bell forever. What an atrocious person and I hate listening to him.

:rolleyes: shut the gently caress up

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Basticle posted:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Wirth1000 posted:

a bunch of terrible and washed-up drivers

and Max Chilton

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Go away Tony Montana

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CactusWeasle posted:

I now dislike Alonso for causing the worst thread to leak

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Basticle posted:

Townsend is firmly in the category of awesome ever since I watched him (on Carb Day) attempt to drink a beer being poured from a fan in the stands while he was standing on ground level.

Last year's pit gently caress up was all on the team anyway.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

IOwnCalculus posted:

Townsend is firmly in the category of awesome ever since I watched him (on Carb Day) attempt to drink a beer being poured from a fan in the stands while he was standing on ground level.

Last year's pit gently caress up was all on the team anyway.

That's funny and pretty awesome.

Still hate Townsend Bell though.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Wirth1000 posted:

Not really. Broadcasts are handled by either NBC or ABC. ABC still uses 4:3 graphics in TYOOL 2017 :wtc: and they are the worst. Thankfully they only show a few races during the season.

That said they also gave us this Indy 500 pre race video in 2014 so..
https://youtu.be/tg-2Qd7kp9k

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Basticle posted:

Now, come on. Everybody knows that Jolyon Palmer & Lance Stroll are better drivers than Scott Dixon or James Hinchcliffe.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That wirth guy is just confused that the cars actually pass each other, drivers matter, and people are happy and enjoy things.

F1 is bad.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

When an f1 driver bitches about his seat being too hot and has crashed out of 3 races in a row but he's still better than Scott dixon

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm really glad I don't have a broken brain and can find enjoyment in all forms of motorsport.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Norns posted:

I'm really glad I don't have a broken brain and can find enjoyment in all forms of motorsport.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
:confused:

It was actually fun to watch this Indy race and Barber looks like a really fun track. And, yeah, Lance Stroll is terrible along with a bunch of other drivers in F1. Not sure where I said Lance Stroll in particular was some sort of good driver but sorry if you guys misunderstood.

If you guys enjoy other forms of motorsport I heartily recommend the new generation of rally cars in WRC, along with WEC, GP2, MotoGP, Moto2 & 3 and Super GT.

Also, V8 Supercars in Australia is a great series, too. :)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

:confused:

It was actually fun to watch this Indy race and Barber looks like a really fun track. And, yeah, Lance Stroll is terrible along with a bunch of other drivers in F1. Not sure where I said Lance Stroll in particular was some sort of good driver but sorry if you guys misunderstood.

If you guys enjoy other forms of motorsport I heartily recommend the new generation of rally cars in WRC, along with WEC, GP2, MotoGP, Moto2 & 3 and Super GT.

Also, V8 Supercars in Australia is a great series, too. :)

I have a twitter friend who's a massive v8 fan fro Austin Texas of all things.

I have enjoyed what i've seen of WEC, and GP2..it's just drat rare for them to broadcast in the states. (Amusing note? Was hilarious to meet Conor Daly a week after he ran in Hungary at Mid Ohio to do some spotting for a friend doing Indy Lights)

Wirth1000 posted:

"Washed up".

I mean....okay? Lot of those guys actually started out over here rather than deal with a lot of the politics overseas. Very hard to make it in F1 under it's current environment.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The pee pee button was fun.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Wirth1000 posted:

Somewhere FuzzySkinner had a seizure and he knows why

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

At this rate Wirth is gonna give Fuzzy a stroke that'll render him able to only compare all things in life to the split

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Spaced God posted:

At this rate Wirth is gonna give Fuzzy a stroke that'll render him able to only compare all things in life to the split

I think usually things change when you have a stroke

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

meh.

I got to watch the race with a friend at a bar today. Had fun.

I'm sure for most europeans :911: racing is quite the culture shock in the same vain that say, the NFL, NBA or MLB is.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I severely regret not reading this thread earlier because I would have actually had something to say to Paul Tracy and Max Chilton as we were standing in line to go through airport security :smith:

Edit: Check out my recap of today's race

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 24, 2017

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

IndyCar isn't F1 and that's OK.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

Yep. It's fun.

Also, PT, and T-Bell dunked on Fryer

https://twitter.com/paultracy3/status/856297379263373312

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
F1 fans: we kicked ur rear end in '41 and we'll do it again.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

gret posted:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Can't imagine wanting all racing series to be the same.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Interesting and super positive note from Barber

IndyCar posted:

Barber officials announced a three-day attendance of 82,745, which equated to a ticket revenue increase of more than 10 percent from last year.

This seems to be a trend lately, I know St Pete had record attendance this year too

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alonso is a draw, brother!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

Alonso is a draw, brother!

I wonder if there was a crowd in the paddock to see him.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Verizon Indycar Series 2017: IndyCar isn't F1 and that's OK.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Barber is one of my fav races of the year now. Beautiful track and great racing.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Are there many tracks where taking the outside line is a legit passing strategy, like turn 5 at Barber? Seems as if going outside there is almost as successful as going inside, especially with turn 8 going back to the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I remember when it first went on the schedule everyone was worried it would be a processional with no passing. I can't remember a race that hasn't had loads of good moves, though.

• Locked thread