Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Strudel Man posted:

Jeesh. There is an embarassingly large amount of stuff that outright doesn't work, isn't there.

Paradox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Decrepus posted:

You can declare war to dismantle a frontier outpost which you can do for free with a fleet and 6 real life seconds while pursuing another goal.

Yeah, that one is pretty funny too. I will say that on the whole, war is vastly improved now that we can research cheaper war goals and get bonuses on top of that for vassalization. Much like literally everything else in this game, it still needs work but is fun regardless. Somehow.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is there a new big ol' list of mods?

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Sorry Gas Aliens, your planet was being patrolled by the automated dreadnaught so you can die in your gravity well alone.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought they got over that poo poo. I mean I love paradox and personally think all the devs and team people are really cool and good and nice talented folk but the amount of unfinished, broken, or wildly unbalanced poo poo they have on release is really inexcusable.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I think it's just in their DNA as a company or something. Not to say that it hasn't gotten better, though *glares pointedly at all their legacy games*

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Utopia is the largest expansion they've ever put out for any of their games, I believe. There are going to be bugs, there's no way around that.

One of the biggest differences between Paradox and a lot of companies is that they actually work on fixing those bugs.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I picked Hyperlanes for myself and now I want to loving shoot myself.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Bloody Pom posted:

Utopia is the largest expansion they've ever put out for any of their games, I believe. There are going to be bugs, there's no way around that.

One of the biggest differences between Paradox and a lot of companies is that they actually work on fixing those bugs.

Yes, but their testing is clearly in need of improvement. I mean, go right click one of your hotkeys to try to delete it. The options come up as "Decline" or "No". That is some amateur poo poo, honestly. Somebody isn't writing decent test scripts, or ignoring QA, or nobody bothered to take ten seconds to fix it.

see also:

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 23, 2017

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Decrepus posted:

I picked Hyperlanes for myself and now I want to loving shoot myself.

I can't play anything other than Warp. Hyperlanes is just Warp with strings attached and Wormholes are just awful in every way.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bloody Pom posted:

This is some wild fanboy-ism.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jabarto posted:

I can't play anything other than Warp. Hyperlanes is just Warp with strings attached
The strings are what makesit fun! It's one of those less is more situations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jabarto posted:

I can't play anything other than Warp. Hyperlanes is just Warp with strings attached and Wormholes are just awful in every way.

Real question: what kinda galaxy shapes do you play? I can't imagine anyone who plays spirals (like me) would prefer warp to wormholes.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
hyperlanes only: cool, good
using hyperlanes in an all-drives galaxy: why

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gadzuko posted:

Yes, but their testing is clearly in need of improvement. I mean, go right click one of your hotkeys to try to delete it. The options come up as "Decline" or "No". That is some amateur poo poo, honestly. Somebody isn't writing decent test scripts, or ignoring QA, or nobody bothered to take ten seconds to fix it.

see also:

Maybe brutal war is how they say hello in their civilization! Don't judge!

e: that said this entire game has had every other civilization using my race name when referring to themselves

which is kinda weird

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Real question: what kinda galaxy shapes do you play? I can't imagine anyone who plays spirals (like me) would prefer warp to wormholes.

Ellipticals. And for full disclosure, my problem with wormholes is that they absolutely, positively cripple your ability to explore in the early game, cost a more than either of the other types, and are easily disrupted by enemy fleets.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The lack of early game exploration is pretty annoying, but that's readily solved by having one construction ship just tool around popping exploratory wormhole stations.

But the sheer range you get out of it is incredible (more than even jump drives at just the first upgrade), it makes all your ships that little bit more powerful, and there's no faster way to get around. Less useful on ellipticals for sure though.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 23, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jabarto posted:

Ellipticals. And for full disclosure, my problem with wormholes is that they absolutely, positively cripple your ability to explore in the early game, cost a more than either of the other types, and are easily disrupted by enemy fleets.
It's also hilariously impossible to cripple an AI who is using wormholes, they don't suffer from micromanagement fatigue and will endlessly send out construction ships to rebuild the stations in every single system, forever.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

The lack of early game exploration is pretty annoying, but that's readily solved by having one construction ship just tool around popping exploratory wormhole stations.

But the sheer range you get out of it is incredible (more than even jump drives at just the first upgrade), it makes all your ships that little bit more powerful, and there's no faster way to get around. Less useful on ellipticals for sure though.

I do kinda want to try a hyperlanes only spiral galaxy just to completely flip my usual game experience on its head.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Jabarto posted:

I do kinda want to try a hyperlanes only spiral galaxy just to completely flip my usual game experience on its head.

The problem with that is the AI doesn't see hyperlanes as its expansion route, and instead just "sees" that system on the other arm as within reach even when it requires going around the entire loving galaxy. See also one or both AI empires at war with each other that have hyperlanes and touching borders, but no lanes to each other.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Poil posted:

It's also hilariously impossible to cripple an AI who is using wormholes, they don't suffer from micromanagement fatigue and will endlessly send out construction ships to rebuild the stations in every single system, forever.

As long as they're doing a QOL pass, automaton this stuff for the player would be a great idea

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ZekeNY posted:

As long as they're doing a QOL pass, automaton this stuff for the player would be a great idea
That would be nice. Sectors already build them, right? But I've no idea if they just put them down in planet systems or properly spam them.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Poil posted:

I find it funny as hell that you can't order constructors to build wormhole station from the galaxy map like you can research and mining stations. How is that still an issue almost a year past release lol

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
um but then how would you make fascinating strategic choices like "where on this circle should I put my wormhole station"

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I forgot to change the setting :smith:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

I find it funny as hell that you can't order constructors to build wormhole station from the galaxy map like you can research and mining stations. How is that still an issue almost a year past release lol
My guess would be because there is no set point where to build them and the game needs that before it can start construction. It might be possible to program it so the constructor travels to the system and plops one down right where it enters. Or giving every system a pre-determined spot for building but that might make things weird if multiple empires try and build up the same place. :shrug:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Jacque Pott posted:

I've just started modding in the last couple of days and made an attempt at removing ground combat: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911546934

Instead of the whole "bombard fortifications to nothing, move in army, invade" rigamarole I put in an event to make the bombarder take control of the planet shortly after the fortifications hit 0. To balance this out, planet fortifications are quite a bit higher so the process takes about the same amount of time, but with much less hassle.

Anything I could find that gives armies, attachments, or army-specific bonuses have been replaced with other bonuses. Common things are -unrest to make up for the lack of army-based suppression and planet fortification / navy bonuses to replace the army's role in taking planets.

Like I said, this is my first time modding so feedback is very much appreciated!

I can dig it, will try when I get home. Did you remember to remove/replace the Shroud Avatar ground unit event?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bloody Pom posted:

Stellaris 1.0 was basically an early access game they tried to pass off as a finished product so I'm not giving them any leeway with unfinished stuff.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Stellaris 1.0 was basically an early access game they tried to pass off as a finished product so I'm not giving them any leeway with unfinished stuff.

first we had every game came with a day one patch, we are now entering the era where all games are early access
i would say that soon we'll be buying games before they even exist next, but kickstarter is already a thing

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AriadneThread posted:

i would say that soon we'll be buying games before they even exist next, but kickstarter is already a thing

:eyepop:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Entering the era? But that's pretty much every Paradox game :v:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Games Industry 2017:

Ha, next we'll be buying games before the exist..... oh.

Ha, next we'll be buying season passes without knowing what is in them...... oh

Ha, next we'll be buying a "license" to play the game and not even the game itself..... oh.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Eh I got my money's worth. The game was pretty fun last year at this time and every update since then has improved it considerably. It's Paradox's model and it works.

For me personally, I think once they make wars and diplomacy more interesting (the next major update) the game will be in a much better place as a whole.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Jabarto posted:

Agreed. With hyperlanes you can get locked in by a key system within a stagnant ascendancy's borders, or a system with an enigmatic fortress. Not to mention those times when you need to make six jumps to get to system right next to you.

I can almost get behind wormholes. I like the idea of them. They require resources to build, and are a vulnerability, which is a downside. They make early exploring a pain in the rear end. Typically one of the first things when I do when I start a new game is separate my starter fleet and plot them scouting paths. The more space I can see around me, the more informed decisions I can make when it comes to expanding, warring, and so on. Wormholes make that difficult. Moving huge late-game fleets with wormholes is torture too, due to the way the time scales with fleet size. I know you can split the fleet and send them separately, but again, more annoying micro. If you have extra wormhole stations, your fleet transport should be automatically paralleled to save time. In my opinion, there aren't enough advantages to warrant the downsides.

Warp just works. Less annoying micro is better. I usually play on two-arm spirals too. Sure, warp has a bit of a cooldown, but it avoids so many issues.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 24, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

The strings are what makesit fun! It's one of those less is more situations.

i just got the game so my opinion is pretty worthless but the two games i went hyperlanes ended up with my empires being spread out along the outside arms of the galaxy which made them harder to defend. also there were huge problems in reaching habitable planets and i'd have to hoard influence like crazy and beeline for the genetic modification tech even with the appropriate traditions. i'd spend long periods doing very little than upgrading surface buildings and waiting for tech to get done.

surprised that i like this game as much as i do, i find a lot of 4x games to be too much tedium, but the systems in this work intuitively enough, and i like how the AI's actions generally map onto their governing ethos. don't think i've sunk this much time into a space 4x since imperium galactica 2. i think it's the storyline events that distinguish it.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 24, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Neurosis posted:

i'd spend long periods doing very little than upgrading surface buildings and waiting for tech to get done.

Hate to break it tyou but this is basically the Stellaris experience anyway unless you play a rabid warmonger that never stops killing.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Hate to break it tyou but this is basically the Stellaris experience anyway unless you play a rabid warmonger that never stops killing.
There is another way to play? Killing is the one truth path!

Seriously though, killing. I see screenshots from too many people who have capped minerals and poo poo. It is like they are sitting around doing nothing. I don't understand it. If there are planets to expand to, then expand there. Get minerals, and sink those minerals into building a navy and army. Throw said navy and army into your neighbors, to get more planets and more minerals. Repeat until victory. It isn't hard at all to win by domination before the final ascensions, endgame crises, and megastructures become a thing.

People hold on to planets way too long too. Get the planet, strip away all the blockers (thanks mastery of nature!), once it hits size 5, upgrade the base. Queue up all your buildings at once, and then hand it over to a sector set to not redevelop. Done. Move on to the next planet. Beyond the early game, stop holding on to planets for longer than that. Aside from your capital, your core planet slots should really just be a developmental holding pen before you can push them into a sector.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 24, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Filthy Monkey posted:

There is another way to play? Killing is the one truth path!

Seriously though, killing. I see screenshots from too many people who have capped minerals and poo poo. It is like they are sitting around doing nothing. I don't understand it. If there are planets to expand to, then expand there. Get minerals, and sink those minerals into building a navy and army. Throw said navy and army into your neighbors, to get more planets and more minerals. Repeat until victory. It isn't hard at all to win by domination before the final ascensions, endgame crises, and megastructures become a thing.

yeah this is mostly how i've been playing it except for times when i get hemmed in with ascendancies to either side or something. if you play rts games the rule of thumb is to be have your resource balances as close to zero as possible save for maybe a buffer if you need something in an emergency, but then not a lot. i think the only thing i really don't like about conflicts is the army micro being separate from the combat fleets. it should be possible to automatically move them together and to rally armies onto fleets [cue people saying how stupid i am and there's a ui feature to do this]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, army micro is still crap. I can't deny that. It is pretty easily the worst part of warring.

The warscore changes in the new patch have helped a lot. There are a lot of ways to reduce warscore costs now, making wars much more productive. No more countless huge wars just to end up taking three planets.

• Locked thread