Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Just remember:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Harsh! I actually love the Imp Raider and its design but I know I'm in the minority.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

AndyElusive posted:

Harsh! I actually love the Imp Raider and its design but I know I'm in the minority.

I love it too buddy. I love it too

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I love the look of the Raider, and would probably have one if I actually played Imperials.

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Man I wish all the good astromechs didn't come on the transport. I don't have one, don't want one, but need the cards for every rebel build I make. :(

This is exactly how I am feeling right now. What's awful is my collection is still relatively small, so I could get 3-4 other small ships for the price of that one x wing.... The other thing about it is, while I would actually be interested in playing an epic game, this is the last ship I would like to use for that.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you're not playing in big tournaments just proxy the card you want.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Chemmy posted:

If you're not playing in big tournaments just proxy the card you want.

Or just print out lists from list builders.

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005
Worlds is in two weeks, and I'm trying to practice up against the "must be this tall to enter" lists.

I've got a pretty good plan for Kanan Biggs, and Quad TLT is on my list. Skill lists of Fang fighters, Imp Aces, 100 point Corran I think I'll just have to take as they come.

Should I try to get reps against Miranda, Stresshog, Biggs? It is one of my better matchups on paper but I don't know how much flying skill can change its effectiveness. The inevitable Fenn double munition scouts is another one that I think I'm okay with.

Of course, my overconfidence is my weakness.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What are you flying? And yeah a ton of people will take heavers system open list.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Bossk + Buddy (Shadow caster or Dengar) is a popular and pretty mean list.
Superdash + Miranda is real mean too
I always like to benchmark against Brobots too.

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

What are you flying? And yeah a ton of people will take heavers system open list.

I was ready to give up and fly a Dead Man's Switch swarm, but just this week I think I found a Miranda list with Ahsoka and Roark, of all things. Close enough to meta to maybe be good, but different enough that no one will have practiced against it.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Just remember:

Sold my raider for more than I paid for it about two weeks before the palp nerf :smugmrgw:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Flew my Vader/Whisper/Kylo list today at a store tourney. Went 2-1, lost to a really janky 4-ship Rebel list with Rex, Biggs, Stresshog, and a U-Wing with FCS, Finn, Zeb, title.

I stuck around after the tourney and to help a couple of our guys prep for worlds. Ran Ketsu/Bossk for most of those games.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...n=Ketsu%20Bossk

I think I'm in love with this list. It just melts things.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Flew my Vader/Whisper/Kylo list today at a store tourney. Went 2-1, lost to a really janky 4-ship Rebel list with Rex, Biggs, Stresshog, and a U-Wing with FCS, Finn, Zeb, title.

I stuck around after the tourney and to help a couple of our guys prep for worlds. Ran Ketsu/Bossk for most of those games.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...n=Ketsu%20Bossk

I think I'm in love with this list. It just melts things.

I love that list too. However as soon as someone gets behind Bossk you are pretty hosed. Anyone who has played against it will be going flat out to get behind him.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

I love that list too. However as soon as someone gets behind Bossk you are pretty hosed. Anyone who has played against it will be going flat out to get behind him.

Yeah. Smart players will split up to get someone behind Bossk.

I've found I can usually deal with that with a combination of bumping into Ketsu, stopping, or just saying "gently caress it" and making sure the only thing left on the board is something Ketsu can handle once Bossk is gone.

I find I'm not using 4-LOM enough that I've considered dropping him for Burnout SLAM on Bossk just in case.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah. Smart players will split up to get someone behind Bossk.

I've found I can usually deal with that with a combination of bumping into Ketsu, stopping, or just saying "gently caress it" and making sure the only thing left on the board is something Ketsu can handle once Bossk is gone.

I find I'm not using 4-LOM enough that I've considered dropping him for Burnout SLAM on Bossk just in case.

I've usually found with my ketsu Bossk list that there's not time for people to get behind Bossk because they die.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Something really needs to be done about K Wings and Miranda specifically. The past few weeks, I've seen new players consistently take down top tier local players in tournaments with Miranda while they fly super sloppy. TLT, regen, Sabine, Advanced Slam, six bombs is just too much for a single ship. I've seem unbalanced stuff in this game, but this is putting me on the verge of not wanting to play anymore.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Slandible posted:

Something really needs to be done about K Wings and Miranda specifically. The past few weeks, I',ve seen new players consistently take down top tier local players in tournaments with Miranda while they fly super sloppy. TLT, regen, Sabine, Advanced Slam, six bombs is just too much for a single ship. I've seem unbalanced stuff in this game, but this is putting me on the verge of not wanting to play anymore.

Sorry, only Imperials and Scum get balance adjustments.

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005

Slandible posted:

Something really needs to be done about K Wings and Miranda specifically. The past few weeks, I've seen new players consistently take down top tier local players in tournaments with Miranda while they fly super sloppy. TLT, regen, Sabine, Advanced Slam, six bombs is just too much for a single ship. I've seem unbalanced stuff in this game, but this is putting me on the verge of not wanting to play anymore.

There are so many things that make Miranda great right now. TLT means her regen has less of a downside, she has great reactionary mobility with SLAM, bombs threaten anyone higher PS, and she is a point fortress like the bad ol days of Fat Han.

It is to the point that you need an end game of 49 points or better, because no ship can finish off Miranda one on one.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
"So I made a list with Darth Vader and 2 TIEs based around the trench run in Episode IV. It's probably not very good but it's cool and thematic."

"OK that's awesome, I'll run Dash-Miranda."

"Well on second thought I think I'll just gently caress off and do anything else rather than watch you slop your way across the board, literally never once in the game having me in a firing arc and still rolling 10 red dice at me a turn."

"What? Just keep every one of your ships in range 1 of both of mine at all times, that's their weakness!"

I know there are worse lists but I hate Dash-Miranda so, so much. It and the 4 TLT Y-Wing is the epitome of passive-aggressive bullshit, just toodling around not giving a gently caress where they are pointed or going or what things will look like next turn and still throwing handfuls of dice at you. I'm not saying it's impossible to beat or anything, but it feels like it changes the game from "You'll win if you fly better than your opponent" to "You'll win if you roll better than your opponent because position doesn't matter very much," and that's not fun IMO.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

I've usually found with my ketsu Bossk list that there's not time for people to get behind Bossk because they die.

That, too.

Slandible posted:

I think Miranda's ability would be a lot more balanced if it had to apply to both shots in a volley attack...but the real issue here is the versatility imposed by Advanced SLAM.

Bombs, especially Cluster Mines, just clown low health ships, and the potential area you can hit is ridiculously huge.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Yeah, there's not much Miranda can't do. Alpha strike. Regen. Area denial. Automatic damage. Mobility. Stack all that on a small base points fortress and it can be rough going. Pair it with hit and run 48 point regen Corran and your opponent will want to flip the table.

If she's causing trouble, or go heavy stress control, or you could dust off the adv sensor pred brobots. they tear up corran Miranda, put ion on one, hlc and tractor on the other.

Poe is also decent at cleaning up Miranda but struggles against corran. Poe Han maybe? It'd be a pretty light Han. Norra would belt Miranda around too surely.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

JonathonSpectre posted:

"So I made a list with Darth Vader and 2 TIEs based around the trench run in Episode IV. It's probably not very good but it's cool and thematic."

I mean I think your problem here might be taking ~80 points of ships to a 100 point match; even assuming the most expensive upgrade in every slot and the most expensive ties you're looking at 94 points.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Nora probably won't ever get a shot on Miranda because she will Slam out of arc every time.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

JonathonSpectre posted:

"Well on second thought I think I'll just gently caress off and do anything else rather than watch you slop your way across the board, literally never once in the game having me in a firing arc and still rolling 10 red dice at me a turn."

"What? Just keep every one of your ships in range 1 of both of mine at all times, that's their weakness!"

I know there are worse lists but I hate Dash-Miranda so, so much. It and the 4 TLT Y-Wing is the epitome of passive-aggressive bullshit, just toodling around not giving a gently caress where they are pointed or going or what things will look like next turn and still throwing handfuls of dice at you. I'm not saying it's impossible to beat or anything, but it feels like it changes the game from "You'll win if you fly better than your opponent" to "You'll win if you roll better than your opponent because position doesn't matter very much," and that's not fun IMO.

The game has always really been about rolling better than your opponent for Rebels since they have never had capable repositioning. It's just even more important now when many lists have multiple ships with 3 or 4 evades every turn or 4+ hits every turn on attack.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
Had a pretty good run at the first local event I've been to/first real game I've played that wasn't against a long term friend kid gloving it. Went 2 and 1 while flying with Fenn Rau with a cloaking device, title, flechette torp and PTL, Old Teroch with cloaking, fearlessness and title and a Heavy Scyk Serissu with bodyguard, cloaking and a mangler flying wingman to Fenn. Only lost to a TLT/Biggs list and part of that was screwing up and hitting a rock and being unable to reposition Old Teroch into a killing shot, which got him killed instead. I kind of want to try and run a Dengar list or something with the Lancer next week. What pairs well with those two?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Nebiros posted:

Had a pretty good run at the first local event I've been to/first real game I've played that wasn't against a long term friend kid gloving it. Went 2 and 1 while flying with Fenn Rau with a cloaking device, title, flechette torp and PTL, Old Teroch with cloaking, fearlessness and title and a Heavy Scyk Serissu with bodyguard, cloaking and a mangler flying wingman to Fenn. Only lost to a TLT/Biggs list and part of that was screwing up and hitting a rock and being unable to reposition Old Teroch into a killing shot, which got him killed instead. I kind of want to try and run a Dengar list or something with the Lancer next week. What pairs well with those two?

Lancer (Asajj) + Dengar is a good and fun list. Asajj and two TLT Ys is a little more forgiving but still very effective; I went 3-1 with it in a tournament yesterday. There's also the new Attani list, which is Asajj, Fenn, and a Contracted Scout with intel agent and cargo hold.

Dengar and Bossk is also probably pretty good. Scum is in a really good place right now and those are both good ships, so you have a lot of options.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Tried to draw for the first time in half a decade, unsurprisingly, I'm still terribad at it. Anyway I figured Ryad must have had some brain damage from turning around so much, so there.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

JonathonSpectre posted:

Lol Miranda doesn't have a donut hole.

gently caress Miranda forever, worst ship in the game bar none, and the only ship in the game which can genuinely persuade me to just concede games in tournaments before setup. I just don't want to fly against her with my typical tourney lists, I *never* enjoy the games.

Of course, Ketsu/Bossk fongs her, so, next time I'll be ready...

admanb posted:

Lancer (Asajj) + Dengar is a good and fun list. Asajj and two TLT Ys is a little more forgiving but still very effective; I went 3-1 with it in a tournament yesterday. There's also the new Attani list, which is Asajj, Fenn, and a Contracted Scout with intel agent and cargo hold.

Dengar and Bossk is also probably pretty good. Scum is in a really good place right now and those are both good ships, so you have a lot of options.

Two ship Scum is definitely A Thing right now - basically any combination of Dengar, Bossk, Assaj and Ketsu is gonna be decent.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 23, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You'd actually concede a tournament game before set up just based on a guys squad build?

If I can get people to just not want to play me at a tournament, you better believe I'll play that list if I can. I get that Dash-Miranda is a frustrating list, but why are people expecting anything less than soul crushing squads and the latest meta netlists at tournaments?

Casual play is another thing though. I'll straight up say gently caress that if I roll up with a goddamn Starviper in my box.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
On the net I still only ever hear people complaining about jumpmasters. If you mention that Miranda needs a nerf and you might as well be saying you like kicking puppies. Don't you dare even whisper that TLTs are in need of a fix either. I already have seen people posting about taking the Miranda/Biggs/Stress Hog to the Aus Open. It's the new hotness and I bet we are going to see a ton of them at worlds.

My humble untested home brew fix for TLTs would have them only have 2 red dice at range 2 instead of three.

Also it seems most of the current meta rebel lists are boring as batshit. The miranda/biggs/stress hog , Sharna/Jess/Nora & 4 TLTs all move exactly the same. 1 forward every drat turn. I have played a lot of the first two and it's just so drat boring to fly.

Raged fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 23, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

On the net I still only ever hear people complaining about jumpmasters. If you mention that Miranda needs a nerf and you might as well be saying you like kicking puppies. Don't you dare even whisper that TLTs are in need of a fix either.

My humble untested home brew fix for TLTs would have them only have 2 red dice at range 2 instead of three.

Sorta like a reverse Dorsal Turret? I'd be down with that, but might need a point reduction if so!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wouldn't you want it the other way around, two dice at Range 3? They have to get dangerously closer for full effectiveness though one Agility ships are probably still screwed.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly I think adv. slam action bombs are a super skewy thing that are really bad for the game because they're just too hard a counter for what they counter.

The problem is normal dropping bombs is absolute poo poo.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Panzeh posted:

Honestly I think adv. slam action bombs are a super skewy thing that are really bad for the game because they're just too hard a counter for what they counter.

The problem is normal dropping bombs is absolute poo poo.

Would having bombs be able to be dropped at either dial reveal or action instead of one or another eliminate the need for advance slam to exist?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

AndyElusive posted:

You'd actually concede a tournament game before set up just based on a guys squad build?

If I can get people to just not want to play me at a tournament, you better believe I'll play that list if I can. I get that Dash-Miranda is a frustrating list, but why are people expecting anything less than soul crushing squads and the latest meta netlists at tournaments?

Casual play is another thing though. I'll straight up say gently caress that if I roll up with a goddamn Starviper in my box.

There's never really been a time in the game's life where the top netlists weren't a huge pain to play against. Dual Falcons, Fat Han, Phantom /Deci, Palp Aces, Triple Defenders, Jumpmasters, etc. They are all boring as poo poo to fly against because they take the skill and chance out of the game. Of course that's what top players gravitate to, especially with tournaments lasting 14 hours.

One regionals season when everyone was flying Soontir / Decimator I made two players concede games at a tournament just by flying fuckin Ten Numb, lol

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Sure, but on the other hand, Miranda really is overpowered. Hell, just let agility dice apply to cluster mines and stuff.

The problem is they just short circuit everything. Agility, pilot score, and it even violates the core concept that a high ps is going to outmaneuver a low ps, and attack first.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah its just the nature of every game. You see the same habits whether its X-wing, Armada or Destiny. People are lazy and unoriginal and are simply going to play whatever list rises to the top no matter how often you whack-a-mole down whatevers currently strong. Play destiny? Play Vader/Raider or like 1 other meta list or lose. Armada? Take 4-5 small ships and activation spam your opponent and gently caress you if you enjoy playing huge ships. Its really the most demoralizing part of the hobby.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

Sure, but on the other hand, Miranda really is overpowered. Hell, just let agility dice apply to cluster mines and stuff.

The problem is they just short circuit everything. Agility, pilot score, and it even violates the core concept that a high ps is going to outmaneuver a low ps, and attack first.

That's the whole point of them. If you allow agility dice, they will go back to never being used again. One 33 point ace should not be invincible to everything.

They don't short circuit things with hull and shields, or thoughtful maneuvering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

alg posted:

They don't short circuit things with hull and shields, or thoughtful maneuvering.

Yeah a K-Wing with adv slam surely does not

Oh wait. That's about half the drat board

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread