Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Teleporting lag fiends can suck my dong

One would think they would have learned from ME3 and relaxed the netcode requirements for player and monster positions...

But nope, laggy host means teleports for everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You should never trust the client, people might cheat!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tooterfish posted:

You should never trust the client, people might cheat!

Which is hilarious because in ME3MP on PC you can cheat yourself infinite money in like literally 2 minutes and they never banned anyone for it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, that's the joke. It's a P2P system, the "authoritative" server is just another client from a security point of view.

You lose nothing by having clients be authoritative for position and hits, every part of the system is equally vulnerable to tampering anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sync kills in multiplayer don't piss me off half as much as them in singleplayer. Oh boy I get to just reload and hope there was an auto-save! Oh there isn't? Great!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first time I got sync killed in single player I laughed.

I am no longer laughing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

precision posted:

Which is hilarious because in ME3MP on PC you can cheat yourself infinite money in like literally 2 minutes and they never banned anyone for it.

They did, actually, if people reported you or you immediately bought 500 card packs after 1 game of bronze. If nobody reported you, and you spent your billions slowly, you were fine. They stopped completely after ME3MP fell into "maintenance" mode, though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

precision posted:

I am no longer laughing.

The first time I got sync killed was in ME3 in the Banshee level. I was playing Vanguard so I was just blasting through everything in my path, had never seen a banshee before so I just charged her while she was glowing. That was a real 'holy gently caress' moment.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The servers are runnin me amok. They're gonna get knocked to the floor

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

RBA Starblade posted:

Sync kills in multiplayer don't piss me off half as much as them in singleplayer. Oh boy I get to just reload and hope there was an auto-save! Oh there isn't? Great!

I ran into my first ascendant on single player this morning, almost got me a couple times, I thanked my apex training for getting me out of that sticky situation :D

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

God that orb pisses me off

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

precision posted:

I am no longer laughing.
Single player not only has sync kills, but scripted invisible teleporting fiend sync kills.

There's a plot quest where you have to evac from a shuttle on the roof. The game has you go to the shuttle pad, and then spawns a fiend and others to run at you while telling you to hold the pad. It also, quietly, puts a timer in the corner, which I was unaware of.

On the harder difficulties the fiend tends to survive before reaching the pad, so of course you start kiting it around. When your 2 minutes is up, though, if you're not on the pad, rather than just give you a game over the game generates a new Fiend who instantly sync kills you.

It took me like 4 tries of trying to kill the fiend (and his second friend) quick enough before realizing it was meant to be just like multiplayer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ahaha, I did that quest and didn't know that was scripted. I was all "why'd I die?"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Whole bunch of people itt who subscribe to the "Every game should be Dark Souls" philosophy of game design and I pray none of you ever become part of a game design team.
Looking at you, Relentless

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Whole bunch of people itt who subscribe to the "Every game should be Dark Souls" philosophy of game design and I pray none of you ever become part of a game design team.

And not a single one of those devs understands why people like the Souls games, they just think harder=better.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

precision posted:

They definitely banned. My friends and I went through a few copies of the game, hah.

i do NOT like BBQ
Jun 2, 2008
I'm really digging the Salarian architect. Good mix of powers minus the VI, plus the salarian passives make me happy. Barricade is such a good power for objective rounds/hunkering during cluster f situations. Also it is op against krogan bros.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like the remnant vi and like it even more when my party members shoot at it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

precision posted:

it's me, i'm the guilty one

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I have shot at human and krogan players wearing red, thinking they were Outlaws, more than once.

Fortunately, those bullets wouldn't have done much if they hit the actual enemies anyway.

i do NOT like BBQ
Jun 2, 2008

precision posted:

That's really been throwing me off. Every now and again I'll hear my team mate fire, I'll see what enemy is there, and it's my VI just scooting around, trolling my dudes.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I've shot at it even when we weren't fighting Remnant.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I've shot at it when it was my remnant vi

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's the salarian infiltrator's decoy all over again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

I've shot at it when it was my remnant vi

Javik approves(+1)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Javik approves(+1)

God now I'm remembering.... Impsy? Was it her that did those me3 comics?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

aegof posted:

I have shot at human and krogan players wearing red, thinking they were Outlaws, more than once.

Fortunately, those bullets wouldn't have done much if they hit the actual enemies anyway.

See, this is why you gotta wear hot pink, lime green, and neon ice blue colors. Aint nobody getting friendly fire wearing that!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GenericOverusedName posted:

See, this is why you gotta wear hot pink, lime green, and neon ice blue colors. Aint nobody getting friendly fire wearing that!

You're not a true vanguard if you're not pink and purple.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Weirdly, I have serious problems with Dark Souls for 1/2 of their boss fights being rng bullshit or requiring AI exploitation , the travel times being too long and in general not providing enough info to the player.

They're really not that good at training the player for what's coming up. It's like platformers that have a dodge button, but competent shooting means you don't need it until the 2nd to last boss fight where it's required. Dark souls is repeatedly telling you you're doing it wrong but not leading you to the right answer until you stumble upon it.

There are a bunch of other issues with them, but WoW dungeon design is actually really good at that. The trash in front of it will have a purple guy who drops purple fire on the ground, the next will be a green guy who drops green fire on the ground, then a pull of a purple and a green guy who explode for a shiton of damage if the different color fires touch. Then a pull of two and somebody doing kickback.

What are they key mechanics of the next boss fight? Keeping the purple fire and green fire from touching. It's a quick little 10 minute intro to what your about to be doing, introducing one new step every trash pack.

The better Metroidvanias do something similar, Megaman as a whole has been pretty good at that. I actually thought the new Doom was great at introducing new things, giving you a reason to use them and then ramping up the ways in which you juggle the shoot/punch/shoot/punch/chainsaw rotation.

I'm not sure the best way to handle this in MEA, but throwing together abilities with no synergy like the Asari Huntress because it kind of looks like the old version, and just not having clear game design vision isn't really working out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Weirdly, I have serious problems with Dark Souls for 1/2 of their boss fights being rng bullshit or requiring AI exploitation , the travel times being too long and in general not providing enough info to the player.

Which ones are rng bullshit?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Which ones are rng bullshit?

Any of them in small rooms. The camera isn't great, and I remember trying one a few times that involved running up the same set of stairs and jumping attack off over and over, hoping you didn't time it with one move that prevented you from getting up the stairs on time and doing it again. It was just sloppily put together.

The big open ones could be good, but in general a lot of the difficulty was banging your head against something until you looked up a faq. The game itself didn't teach you much about attack patterns or how magic works.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Relentless posted:

Any of them in small rooms. The camera isn't great, and I remember trying one a few times that involved running up the same set of stairs and jumping attack off over and over, hoping you didn't time it with one move that prevented you from getting up the stairs on time and doing it again. It was just sloppily put together.

You mean the Capra Demon? You could do the plunging attack but you really just want to go up the stairs to have time to kill the dogs before the big guy whacks you.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm gonna call you out on DS chat right now, because that game has a way of sparking massive derails.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

You mean the Capra Demon? You could do the plunging attack but you really just want to go up the stairs to have time to kill the dogs before the big guy whacks you.

It was years ago, I just remember getting nowhere until I looked up a faq, and then trying the exact same strat like 6 times until it worked.

I don't mind the difficulty, but the game didn't do much to train me for that fight except to bookmark whatever wiki or guide I was using. Dark Souls did the player knowledge and player skill as the real way to progress vs gear or raw levels very well. I just think it did a lovely job of teaching you in game.

//edit

My bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah I'll stop, I was just curious. :v:

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Look at all these fake vanguards not knowing the one true color scheme of hot pink and lime green with a bright yellow spot pattern.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

dazoner posted:

I ran into my first ascendant on single player this morning, almost got me a couple times, I thanked my apex training for getting me out of that sticky situation :D

Ditto. I'm glad I did some multiplayer first, because it made my single player go more smoothly, primarily with Ascendants. I mean, I can figure out "be really careful charging that big fiendy thing" just from context and remembering brutes, but the orbs, gently caress those orbs.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Vidmaster posted:

Look at all these fake vanguards not knowing the one true color scheme of hot pink and lime green with a bright yellow spot pattern.

My KroGuard is gunning to replace Marshawn Lynch and repping Hawks blue and lime green.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Two Finger posted:

God now I'm remembering.... Impsy? Was it her that did those me3 comics?

I think you mean skoolmunkee, who did a ton of great ME comics including "Varren Dad", pretty sure they're all still on her tumblr or something cause I just looked at them a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

My Krogan Vanguard is Red and Yellow because he is Ho Krogan and he goes around wreaking havoc and extolling American virtues with his friend Macho Man Urdnot Savage

• Locked thread