Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Specter1357
Mar 31, 2010

berenzen posted:

If they have widow, play around corners or duck to screw her sightlines. Also, feel free to go Winston/genji/D.Va to counter her. This is not the games fault that you don't respect certain heroes abilities.

The only thing that counters a good enough widow is an even better widow. That or random scatter shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Specter1357 posted:

The only thing that counters a good enough widow is an even better widow. That or random scatter shots.

this hasn't been true since they nerfed her a year ago, and maybe not even then

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

CaptainScraps posted:

Tried coming back after a few months off.

Went on a rampage with 76 on Kings Row, winning every fight and working well with my teammates. 4 golds for about 5 minutes.

And then one of their team switches to Widow and one-shots my rear end twice.

gently caress this game.

Switch to Winston and eat her. Widow is not really a threat unless they're truly top tier or your positioning is really bad.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

If the enemy team has a widowmaker, try to move unpredictably :tipshat:

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

Tried coming back after a few months off.

Went on a rampage with 76 on Kings Row, winning every fight and working well with my teammates. 4 golds for about 5 minutes.

And then one of their team switches to Widow and one-shots my rear end twice.

gently caress this game.

you died twice? And you got mad?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Specter1357 posted:

Genji, Widow, Tracer on some maps, Winston, and D.Va all counter Widow. A decent McCree, Ana or Soldier that can consistently landshots and move in an erratic fashion (A-Ding and crouch spamming) can duel her at far ranges as well, at least enough to dislodge her from her perch.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 23, 2017

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
You can do it as Hanzo but you gotta be sly. They always stop to fire so if you can get a flank on them you can headshot them pretty easily. If you mess up though you're dead and you'll always lose a shootout.

Since I jumped back in I've been playing Hanzo every QM and it's really increased my enjoyment as Hanzo has a high skill cap and is a pretty good hero if you play him offensively. Furthermore, playing Hanzo will prevent someone else on your team from picking Hanzo.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
you can also 76 her down if your shooting is good lead with 2/3 bullets to see which way she dodges. fire a helix in the middle of the next bullet cluster.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Schneider Inside Her posted:

You can do it as Hanzo but you gotta be sly. They always stop to fire so if you can get a flank on them you can headshot them pretty easily. If you mess up though you're dead and you'll always lose a shootout.

Since I jumped back in I've been playing Hanzo every QM and it's really increased my enjoyment as Hanzo has a high skill cap and is a pretty good hero if you play him offensively. Furthermore, playing Hanzo will prevent someone else on your team from picking Hanzo.

Yea, I've dumped a ton of hours into him for QP and I think I'm consistent enough to bring him into comp now. I've only recently started doing comp so if my team doesn't throw when they see the Hanzo pick it should be fun.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I started a second account to play 6 man competitive with some friends.

MMR adjusts quickly :stare:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
How do you know? When I intentionally played lovely on another account I got matched with people of the same sort of levels, they were just awful.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

dogstile posted:

How do you know? When I intentionally played lovely on another account I got matched with people of the same sort of levels, they were just awful.

I mean, there is no way to know for sure, but I went from playing with really awful single digit players, to mid 50's to a bunch of multi prestige players and the games seem to get harder every time

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

All of a sudden Overwatch fps cap at 90 for me when I set it to "display based". I have a 100 Hz display and it used to hit that mark. Lowered some settings to see if my card is limiting performance (still on a 970 GTX), but it keeps staying at 90. Odd. Something they patched in?

To elaborate:
Display and card are set to 100 Hz. If I set a custom limit in game to anywhere between 99-102, I get very visible tearing.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 23, 2017

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

mcbexx posted:

All of a sudden Overwatch fps cap at 90 for me when I set it to "display based". I have a 100 Hz display and it used to hit that mark. Lowered some settings to see if my card is limiting performance (still on a 970 GTX), but it keeps staying at 90. Odd. Something they patched in?

I had the same problem after one of the recent patches. Can't remember if it was Orisa or Uprising. Change your display settings to res @ 100Hz. It's probably set to res @ 90Hz. If that doesn't work do a manual fps cap.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Same issues, was capped at 110 for no real reason. I just set a custom limit so aren't sure if it is fixed yet.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Ehud posted:

I mean, there is no way to know for sure, but I went from playing with really awful single digit players, to mid 50's to a bunch of multi prestige players and the games seem to get harder every time

it seemed like my fresh account was at around the same qp mmr after only around 30 games (lvl 12 or 13 i think) on my fresh account, and the queue started to take 5+ minutes long

then i played a bunch of games in stacks and lost a bunch and now the games match up super quick again solo, hooray?

Specter1357
Mar 31, 2010

berenzen posted:

Genji, Widow, Tracer on some maps, Winston, and D.Va all counter Widow. A decent McCree, Ana or Soldier that can consistently landshots and move in an erratic fashion (A-Ding and crouch spamming) can duel her at far ranges as well, at least enough to dislodge her from her perch.

That counters bad, mediocre, and some good widows. Not great widows.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Some of those recommendations are stupid (Tracer? McCree?) but Winston vs. Widow is in Winston's favor at literally every level of play.

If the Widow is straight up better than you are that's another story but in that case the solution isn't balance changes, it's git gud.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Some of those recommendations are stupid (Tracer? McCree?) but Winston vs. Widow is in Winston's favor at literally every level of play.

*Do not jump straight at the widow, your headbox is big

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

*Do not jump straight at the widow, your headbox is big

They can't headshot you if your butt is in the way. Always jump butt-first!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Specter1357 posted:

That counters bad, mediocre, and some good widows. Not great widows.

How many people in this thread are being regularly matched up with superlative Widowmaker players though? Like, how are we defining "great Widowmaker" here, is it "this person is genuinely so good that I have no possible chance of winning against them since they're so far outside my effective skill range" or "I was peeking from around a corner after I heard someone mumbling in French and I got shot in the head THAT loving BITCH."

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Kai Tave posted:

How many people in this thread are being regularly matched up with superlative Widowmaker players though? Like, how are we defining "great Widowmaker" here, is it "this person is genuinely so good that I have no possible chance of winning against them since they're so far outside my effective skill range" or "I was peeking from around a corner after I heard someone mumbling in French and I got shot in the head THAT loving BITCH."

Out of several hundred matches, only twice have I ever played against a Widow who was clearly out of skill range, both matches were the same person successfully 1v6ing. The second time I saw them I went D.Va and harassed the Widow specifically, but the rest of my team still got picked off in the times that I couldn't be on top of Widow, and we still lost the match. The Widow player proceeded to BM about paying too much attention to her.

I have seen that player's username a few other times, playing Lucio or Orisa, and being completely ineffective as them. Totally unnoteworthy opponents aside from having the name of a BS sniper I've seen before.

The last time I saw that player was in the general chat, and their profile said they had fallen 500 SR in the time that I had risen 400. I'm still not sure what their story really is. :confused:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They can't headshot you if your butt is in the way. Always jump butt-first!

In response to this new meta Blizzard enables a new critbox on Winston

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

I was peeking from around a corner after I heard someone mumbling in French and I got shot in the head THAT loving BITCH.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
A day and a half I've spent in this event due to being busy and distracted with Nier Automata. Got new Widow, McCree, and Reinhardt event skins. I feel like they're making me feel better because I missed all the Olympic stuff last year.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Ehud posted:

Could be, it also could be shared accounts. My roommate plays a lot of QP and arcade on my account, which is why I'm level 400+.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If the Widow is straight up better than you are that's another story but in that case the solution isn't balance changes, it's git gud.

Tracer I specified on certain maps where there are fewer ways for the widow to get to unreachable locations. Hanamura, Numbani and Dorado come to mind. McCree I would argue fares as well as soldier does, the burst damage can zone the Widow and force her into odd angles, I wouldn't swap to McCree to counter her though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

berenzen posted:

Tracer I specified on certain maps where there are fewer ways for the widow to get to unreachable locations. Hanamura, Numbani and Dorado come to mind. McCree I would argue fares as well as soldier does, the burst damage can zone the Widow and force her into odd angles, I wouldn't swap to McCree to counter her though.

Most maps are going to have at least a few sightlines where Widowmakers can set up and have uncontested advantage against McCrees all skill being equal. McCree has sufficient falloff that he can't really threaten a Widowmaker poised to obliterate him with a single headshot the way he can threaten, say, an imprudent Pharah whose projectile rockets are less capable of instantly killing him before he puts serious pressure on her or even kills her outright, and his lack of mobility (aside from combat roll lol) means he has no real way to close the distance or juke Widow more than any other character walking at normal speeds. I wouldn't specifically try to counter Widow with either McCree or Soldier but at least Soldier can sprint. Sure, if you get close to Widow as McCree you can probably win, but the same can be said about a lot of characters who have a much easier time getting to that point in the first place.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Hanamura B is made for some Hanzo, Ana and Widow sniper action that is sososo fun to play with/against....

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

von Braun posted:

Hanamura B is made for some Hanzo, Ana and Widow sniper action that is sososo fun to play with/against....

I love it when they do that because I just winston my rear end up there. It's close quarters as hell so they'll grapple away and you can just fall into the ditch, grab the health pack and jump up again once it's off cooldown.

Git gently caress'd snipers, monkey gonna getcha

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

dogstile posted:

I love it when they do that because I just winston my rear end up there. It's close quarters as hell so they'll grapple away and you can just fall into the ditch, grab the health pack and jump up again once it's off cooldown.

Git gently caress'd snipers, monkey gonna getcha

As Winston, I never go after a Widow who is dropping down from a ledge anymore, I just wait until she grapples right back up to me, say "Hello" and kill her. You'd be surprised how many Widow players are on autopilot and do this.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

mcbexx posted:

As Winston, I never go after a Widow who is dropping down from a ledge anymore, I just wait until she grapples right back up to me, say "Hello" and kill her.

I think you mean "Hi there" :colbert:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

mcbexx posted:

As Winston, I never go after a Widow who is dropping down from a ledge anymore, I just wait until she grapples right back up to me, say "Hello" and kill her. You'd be surprised how many Widow players are on autopilot and do this.

Oh yeah, snipers who are dropping right down are just going to come right back up. It's the ones that grapple halfway across the drat map that you have to peace out for 6 seconds on.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bolivar posted:

I think you mean "Hi there" :colbert:

Did someone say "peanut butter"?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I enjoy competent Winstons when I play Zenyatta because it's really fun to orb Winston, then orb his harassment target, then watch him leap out of view and kill them and leap back. The orbs will usually last just long enough to give Winston the edge to kill them with his ticklegun and jump back alive.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20754476043?page=2#post-28

We currently have 3 maps in development, all past the initial playtesting phase that are "standard" maps (QP/Comp). While something could always change, all 3 of those are looking likely for a release this year.

We also have 3 non-standard maps in development (these won't go in QP/Comp).

We also have a few other experiments going on.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I wish they'd build just one really skirmish/death match friendly map for custom games

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The really obnoxious thing about widow players is when they're defending a point up high so you jump after them as Winston. Then they just drop down and grapple back up after you go down after them so you now have to wait for your jump to recharge while the rest of their team is shooting you.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

The really obnoxious thing about widow players is when they're defending a point up high so you jump after them as Winston. Then they just drop down and grapple back up after you go down after them so you now have to wait for your jump to recharge while the rest of their team is shooting you.

The really obnoxious thing about Widow players is that a quality team will just kill the Winston/D.Va that's trying to slowly murder the Widowmaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I don't think there's a correlation between video games and real life violence but I do think there's one between people who play sniper classes and mental illness.