Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sergg posted:

How is that even a question? Support the Obama-like guy or the outright fascist. Hmm..... gee that's a real tough one.

If you tell your voters it's OK to vote for a globalist centrist without extracting any concessions in return, you look weak, make it easier for that candidate to peel voters off you in future elections, and disappoint members of your coalition who actually want a hard left agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
President (unintelligible)

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/856259280948908032

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

disabled president???? a real milestone

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

He's taking this taking the Reagan cosplay stuff really seriously. Turning your own brain into swiss cheese to get into character is pretty hard core.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Ragtime All The Time posted:

we're becoming incredibly tolerable as a society. we elected a black person and the next election was a runoff between a lady and someone with mental handicaps

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bird food bathtub posted:

He's taking this taking the Reagan cosplay stuff really seriously. Turning your own brain into swiss cheese to get into character is pretty hard core.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/856262666188451840

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

One could hope France remembers fascism with a richer context than us.

It's not fascist if it's your guy.

Ragtime All The Time posted:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 23, 2017

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ah, the good old "standard retard".

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The whole interview is worth a good, long read followed by a second, more tortured examination of a man piloted by the wind blowing through the several holes in his brain.

quote:

TRUMP: In fact, they also did. I never thought I had the ability to not watch. Like, people think I watch (MSNBC's) "Morning Joe." I don't watch "Morning Joe." I never thought I had the ability to, and who used to treat me great by the way, when I played the game. I never thought I had the ability to not watch what is unpleasant, if it's about me. Or pleasant. But when I see it's such false reporting and such bad reporting and false reporting that I've developed an ability that I never thought I had.I don't watch things that are unpleasant. I just don't watch them.

The world is scary so I have to destroy it before it makes me :sad:

You know his followers are little better than dogs when their strongman figure can't even pretend he's capable of putting up a tough persona.

ded redd fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 23, 2017

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I cannot believe I'm asking this, but Is there any factual basis for the MS13 claims?

I'm assuming if I went to long island no one would have a loving clue what he's talking about.

Or is every brown person above age 9 they deport an MS13 member now?

Anyone who runs is ms13, Anyone who stands still, is a well disciplined ms13 :madmax:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

MRC48B posted:

I cannot believe I'm asking this, but Is there any factual basis for the MS13 claims?

I'm assuming if I went to long island no one would have a loving clue what he's talking about.

Anyone who runs is ms13, Anyone who stands still, is a well disciplined ms13 :madmax:

It's disingenuous bullshit, as usual. In much the same way Obama was not particularly responsible for the Hurricane Katrina response, "Obama's weak immigration policies" didn't somehow go back in time and cause things to happen before his time in office.

edit: Here
http://www.npr.org/2017/04/21/525110150/jeff-sessions-issues-warning-after-brutal-long-island-killing-by-ms-13

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

It's disingenuous bullshit, as usual. In much the same way Obama was not particularly responsible for the Hurricane Katrina response, "Obama's weak immigration policies" didn't somehow go back in time and cause things to happen before his time in office.

edit: Here
http://www.npr.org/2017/04/21/525110150/jeff-sessions-issues-warning-after-brutal-long-island-killing-by-ms-13

Yeah, if I recall, MS13 was an actual gang at one time with some reach, but was largely irrelevant by the time they were being used as a scapegoat, and were not as outright rampant as claimed.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

quote:

I don't watch things that are unpleasant. I just don't watch them.

The Rocket McGrain philosophy

https://youtu.be/PYvGMD-HToo?t=2m10s

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Ms13 is the "no-go zone" boogeyman for the other brown people

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Ms13 is the "no-go zone" boogeyman for the other brown people

Did 'no-go zones' ever actually exist in the US? I always thought they were a holdover from the Troubles, where the British Army couldn't go into certain parts of Belfast.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

MS-13 started in the US and the majority of its members have always been Americans.

It's like saying you oppose immigrants from Africa because they'll bring Crips with them.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

BigDave posted:

Did 'no-go zones' ever actually exist in the US? I always thought they were a holdover from the Troubles, where the British Army couldn't go into certain parts of Belfast.

There are some parts of a good number of large US cities where's it's probably inadvisable to walk alone at night. Those areas are a lot smaller and the risk a lot lower than it was in, say, the late 1970s, for a number of different reasons.

But urban crime has always had a dogwhistle element to it. The people who are most paranoid about it and demand heavy-handed crackdowns are also about the least likely to actually be victimized.

e: In the context of the conversation, no, there are not and have not really been, even when crime rates were at their highest, any parts of US cities where the de facto rule of law was an organized gang not under state control. It is primarily random crime that causes people to skirt those neighborhoods.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 24, 2017

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

BigDave posted:

They exist in Republican fever dreams.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There are some parts of a good number of large US cities where's it's probably inadvisable to walk alone at night.

That is such an understatement it's almost disingenuous.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Richard Bong posted:

That is such an understatement it's almost disingenuous.

Yeah it really depends on your race. Whole lot of areas are a no-go if you ain't lily white.

Just ask Trevon.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Cabrini-Green is the first place that comes to mind when I think about poo poo like that. The entire complex was plagued by crime. Even the mayor that took up residency there in the 80s didn't last a month, with armed guards and police protection. It's been knocked down for a while now and gentrified, but there was plenty of gang law running that shithole at its peak.

There are still plenty of places that are a terrible idea to drive through at night.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I knew someone would bring up the 'Green. It still wasn't a "No-go" for the CPD.

In fact, in some ways it was the opposite.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

MRC48B posted:

MS-13 is in fact a gang that has allegedly killed a handful of teenagers and young adults in one town on Long Island over the past 12 months. Brentwood has been a low income mostly Hispanic neighborhood you probably wouldn't want to live in for a while so it's not shocking. They have become more aggressive with their territory of late because of the rise in heroin use and their participation in the drug trade.

It has nothing to do with Obama's immigration policy.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah it really depends on your race. Whole lot of areas are a no-go if you ain't lily white.

Just ask Trevon.

The Trevon shot by a mixed race dude?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

back in my day we had the Latin Kings as our gang boogeyman

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ don't forget satans disciples.

MRC48B posted:

I knew someone would bring up the 'Green. It still wasn't a "No-go" for the CPD.

In fact, in some ways it was the opposite.

CPD being dirty is nothing new. And while it wasn't a no-go zone, it's a good example of how lovely we can be. The people there were victims of racial bullshit and it was probably wiser to keep some poo poo off police radar than having the buildings raided.

Chicago is a case study. For lots of hosed up things and reasons.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Richard Bong posted:

The Trevon shot by a mixed race dude?

Zimmerman passed by the One Drop Rule.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

/\ don't forget satans disciples.

dunno if they were in my neck of the woods, they were more of a chicago gang iirc

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

back in my day we had the Latin Kings as our gang boogeyman

For me, it was the Hatians and that loving toy helicopter mission in Vice City. :q:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
In the nineties it was crips and bloods in Lakewood, and the occasional shooting at the mall. Lakewood Washington, where more than half of COPS was filmed (I'm pulling that out of my rear end). It still wasn't that bad though, just gotta make sure you're not stupid and in the wrong place at the wrong time. Personally I never experienced anything, just always saw poo poo on the news. Or on COPS lol.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

e: In the context of the conversation, no, there are not and have not really been, even when crime rates were at their highest, any parts of US cities where the de facto rule of law was an organized gang not under state control. It is primarily random crime that causes people to skirt those neighborhoods.

It's more complicated than that. I was speaking to a local deputy last month, and he was telling me that there are some blocks where they simply won't go unless they go in strength, and this is in a relatively safe metro area. It's not that they couldn't serve a warrant on any house on the block if they really wanted to, but basic calls for service are going to be de-prioritized until they have backup units available, which causes a feedback loop of people not calling the police because they might not show for hours. Hearsay is that the problem is even more acute in certain European cities, where the metropolitan police forces don't have the same firepower and appetite for conflict as the average American sheriff's department.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
What you really have to watch out for is the Almighty Gaylords

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

dunno if they were in my neck of the woods, they were more of a chicago gang iirc

I meant as a boogeyman. Gents, gangsta's disciples, there were more, but my memory is kinda shaky beyond those and SDs and LKs. Those were the gang boogeymen we would hear about in Cornfieldia. "Don't go to the city! There be gangsters there!" type spiel the dare officer would try to scare us over.

Whole lots of brainwashing goes on in small towns.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The police for East Palo Alto folded in the early 90s and the city had to be patrolled by sheriffs and state troopers. It was so bad the McDonald's that shared a block with the police building had a shotgun armed security officer 24/7.
An underground hospital was doing a brisk business. They only got caught because they bought a hot shipment of knee replacements that was being tracked down.
Was the murder capital of the world per capita for quite a few years.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

Hearsay is that the problem is even more acute in certain European cities, where the metropolitan police forces don't have the same firepower and appetite for conflict as the average American sheriff's department.

The "no-go zone" issue came up some months ago in the cop thread, and one of the Britcops (Bernard, I believe) straight up confirmed that it's a real thing in parts of London and probably also other European cities.

I was born and raised in New York City. I'm sure it's better now, but back in the late 80s and early 90s, there were definitely parts of NYC that the cops would only enter in force, and that you definitely wouldn't want to walk through at night.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Ask me how policing Afghanistan went!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's more complicated than that. I was speaking to a local deputy last month, and he was telling me that there are some blocks where they simply won't go unless they go in strength, and this is in a relatively safe metro area. It's not that they couldn't serve a warrant on any house on the block if they really wanted to, but basic calls for service are going to be de-prioritized until they have backup units available, which causes a feedback loop of people not calling the police because they might not show for hours. Hearsay is that the problem is even more acute in certain European cities, where the metropolitan police forces don't have the same firepower and appetite for conflict as the average American sheriff's department.

I've never seen American cops walking around with MP5s.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Zeris posted:

Ask me how policing Afghanistan went!

How policing Afghanistan went?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I've never seen European cops with MRAPs, or for that matter, ten of their buddies willing to testify that the suspect was definitely resisting, your honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

DoktorLoken posted:

I've never seen American cops walking around with MP5s.

NYPD did (and still does? havent been to NYC in forever) it at major subway stations and landmarks.

• Locked thread