Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

It looked lame and boring as gently caress at GenCon last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Tekopo posted:

To me, all the things that make Dark Souls good are the same things that would make a board game of it bad.

Basically this. Atmosphere and specific gameplay mechanics were a huge part of that experience and you cannot replicate or simulate that in a board game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I still wish I had backed it just for the models. Oh well. I realized that I didn't need yet another huge game that will never see the table.

Gloomhaven is too good to pass up though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure I said something to the effect that the Dark Souls board game looked bad simply based on the fact that they were having you roll dice for poo poo which seems pretty much completely against how Dark Souls the video game works.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
"Roll to see if your greatsword can clip through the corridor wall."

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I still wonder if they only made that game because they wanted a cash infusion. The company is pretty new and Guild Ball is the only thing under their belt. Although I do remember in an interview during the kickstarter, the designer said they were going to use dice for the game because "that's what we know."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

S.J. posted:

Although I do remember in an interview during the kickstarter, the designer said they were going to use dice for the game because "that's what we know."

Right, which is a really bad fuckin sign right there. "We're gonna take this property that's all about using player skill to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds, but we only really know how to make games using dice so, uhhhhhh, hey have you looked at our cool minis yet?" I mean yeah, books and covers and all, but I was never able to escape the impression that Dark Souls was yet another licensed Kickstarter boardgame.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kai Tave posted:

Right, which is a really bad fuckin sign right there. "We're gonna take this property that's all about using player skill to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds, but we only really know how to make games using dice so, uhhhhhh, hey have you looked at our cool minis yet?" I mean yeah, books and covers and all, but I was never able to escape the impression that Dark Souls was yet another licensed Kickstarter boardgame.

It's worse than that. The bosses are built around a deck of cards that is meant to be memorised so players can use the appropriate counters. But then the resolution of the counters is random, so you can pick the right move every time and still lose. Which means that after the first game, it's basically $300 for "roll a bunch of dice and consult this chart to see if you win".

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I still wish I had backed it just for the models. Oh well. I realized that I didn't need yet another huge game that will never see the table.

Gloomhaven is too good to pass up though.

Apparently the Dancer mini at least was given a much dopier sculpt than what was shown in the kickstarter.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I finished reading all of the content in the new Paranoia and, I'm convinced that the funniest joke in the entire thing is that the new edition comes in a white box with a white gloss label which is virtually impossible to read at any reasonable angle.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So I'm guessing Ninja Division is bad (although if someone wants to fill me in I feel like I have unconnected dots) but why would Warforged drop several thousand mid-campaign?

Just curious, not currently backing.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Spiderdrake posted:

So I'm guessing Ninja Division is bad (although if someone wants to fill me in I feel like I have unconnected dots) but why would Warforged drop several thousand mid-campaign?

Just curious, not currently backing.

IIRC Ninja Division split from CMON and went to go keep producing the Super Dungeon Explore line, which other than the minis, is pretty awful. They also did that ninja themed strategy game that I don't remember the name of, but I don't remember anything about the actual game. CMON did a similar chibi-looking series in Arcadia Quest that is much better imo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ninja Division was also involved with the Robotech Tactics Kickstarter though I'll confess I have no idea how much of the responsibility for that lies on their shoulders as opposed to Kevin Sembieda's.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kai Tave posted:

Ninja Division was also involved with the Robotech Tactics Kickstarter though I'll confess I have no idea how much of the responsibility for that lies on their shoulders as opposed to Kevin Sembieda's.

I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Ninja Division dropped/tanked the project and left Siembieda holding the bag, trusting that Siembieda's reputation would make it look like his fault? Which is pretty lovely, if true (and it seems plausible enough).

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Antivehicular posted:

I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Ninja Division dropped/tanked the project and left Siembieda holding the bag, trusting that Siembieda's reputation would make it look like his fault? Which is pretty lovely, if true (and it seems plausible enough).

It kinda doesn't matter - anyone stupid enough to do business with Siembieda at this point is stupid enough to make a billion other bad decisions and thus getting involved with them is high risk.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Also, on that Warforged KS, I don't know a lot about production costs for this sort of thing -- is $60K enough to produce and distribute an adequate-quality 28mm plastic minis game with a fair number of stretch goal minis? This has the look of one of those "I know we 120% funded, but we actually needed 200% funding to release this" projects.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Also, on that Warforged KS, I don't know a lot about production costs for this sort of thing -- is $60K enough to produce and distribute an adequate-quality 28mm plastic minis game with a fair number of stretch goal minis? This has the look of one of those "I know we 120% funded, but we actually needed 200% funding to release this" projects.

Depends on if they're using the funds to gauge interest on a project they could already afford, or for the entirety of the funding. Didn't look like there were a huge variety of sculpts though?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Antivehicular posted:

Ninja Division thought they were doing a simple contract game using a Palladium IP, with "by Ninja Division, published by Palladium" on the box, but once the money was in they had the game taken away from them, and they were reduced to contract sculptors for Palladium only, because the greedy rear end in a top hat is physically incapable of sharing credit with anyone - and had to enter the trinary hell of feedback, seeking, and reseeking approval from both Siembieda, and Harmony Gold. They completed the work they were paid for, to the bad and contradictory advice and specifications they were given, and moved on.

Siembieda remains holding the bag because RRT was genuinely the sleazy, egotistical shithead's own loving fault.

Whether Ninja Division would have produced a better product or not without the interference I can't say.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 24, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Not to mention that Ninja Division already has about 4 other kickstarters going on that don't look like they are hitting any major milestones...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, Palladium ultimately gets the fault, I was just commenting that having ND bail certainly didn't help matters.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ninja Division are a lovely company and don't deserve any support.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

GrandpaPants posted:

I was kind of hoping for Dungeon Twister complete (and a box that can hold all the stuff), but I'll take more Boelinger.

You guys don't even know how excited I am. Look, I know Earth Reborn is a bitch to set up with the dynamic maps and all but it really is the best 2 player tac minis game ever made. Getting a huge expansion for it would fix the game's biggest issue outside of setup which is the lack of different unit interactions.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LordAba posted:

Not to mention that Ninja Division already has about 4 other kickstarters going on that don't look like they are hitting any major milestones...
I'll be really surprised when they finally ship even the first wave of Super Dungeon Explore 2nd Edition. They're way behind on that as well as Rail Riders Infinite, which was supposed to be a very basic poker dice-roller with minis and is stuck in production hell somehow.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

LordAba posted:

This is the same group that's making the Starfinder minis for Paizo, isn't it?

How do they plan to release those when they've barely finished their prior projects?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Huh, that's weird. I just got a shipping label generated for UA3, even though I got my books like two weeks ago.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This is the same group that's making the Starfinder minis for Paizo, isn't it?

How do they plan to release those when they've barely finished their prior projects?

Between that and the Kingdom Death thing I'm getting the feeling Paizo is letting their eye slip off the ball. It's going to cost them soon.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Does Kickstarter cause the life of everyone it touches to immediately fall apart? I just realized over half of all kickstarter updates I have ever received over 100+ projects have mainly been about sickness or some other inescapable calamity.

I did back Far West so I am sure it skewed things somewhat admittedly. Who knew people with no business background might not know what the gently caress they are doing.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
do people think the gloomhaven estimate of an august delivery is a good estimate?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Does Kickstarter cause the life of everyone it touches to immediately fall apart? I just realized over half of all kickstarter updates I have ever received over 100+ projects have mainly been about sickness or some other inescapable calamity.

I did back Far West so I am sure it skewed things somewhat admittedly. Who knew people with no business background might not know what the gently caress they are doing.

I'm going to say that, for the most part, you usually don't hear about these things from real companies because they have transition and catastrophe plans so if their editor gets in a car wreck they can hire a temp or whatever. Also having insurance tends to help.

Basically Kickstarter shows you that the vast majority of project creators don't know how to plan for disaster. I mean, how many of those little pie charts do you see with any kind of buffer on them for unexpected expenses?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Doorknob Slobber posted:

do people think the gloomhaven estimate of an august delivery is a good estimate?

Considering the game is already finished and this is a second printing, yes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

I'm going to say that, for the most part, you usually don't hear about these things from real companies because they have transition and catastrophe plans so if their editor gets in a car wreck they can hire a temp or whatever.
Exactly this. So many of these projects seem to collapse because there's only one guy with access to everything and no thought put into "so what happens if he's out sick? Who lets everyone know? If he's out for a long time, how do we access the funds? How do we get to the project files?"

Like, where I work everything I do had to go on a network drive. Why? Because if (God forbid) something happens to me and I'm out for an indeterminate amount of time, the entire process I'm part of isn't held up. It's barely Project Management 101; it's Project Management 099.

This seems to be happening with Reliquary; the project manager vanished off the face of the Earth for a long time, and didn't pop back in until Ash Law said "okay, I guess this is done because the other guy hasn't been around, we're going to try and give refunds". Now the guy's trying to scramble and backfill while attempting to garner sympathy.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I backed the Tales From the Floating Vagabond KS a while back and watching it die was like watching a grandmother wither away. The saddest part was after like right months of mental and physical health updates the guy just gave up, and you could tell because his last updates were just him hocking the KS projects of friends. He had drilled his support down to where the only value left in his project was the mailing list he had acquired.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The only reason I'd have to be concerned about August is that he crushed his goal and therefore might get slowed down by needing that many copies to be produced. Otherwise like HGS said, it's a reprint, he's done this before and knows how long it should take.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JazzFlight posted:

I'll be really surprised when they finally ship even the first wave of Super Dungeon Explore 2nd Edition. They're way behind on that as well as Rail Riders Infinite, which was supposed to be a very basic poker dice-roller with minis and is stuck in production hell somehow.

Rail Riders looks like the most basic of basic unfun games as well! Unless there are a lot of rules that they haven't shown on their kickstarter videos... and I mean a lot of rules.

I got my Megaman Pixel Tactics kickstarter today and it looks good! Too bad the kickstarter group is very... negative despite okay communication and delivered very early yet.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SilverMike posted:

The only reason I'd have to be concerned about August is that he crushed his goal and therefore might get slowed down by needing that many copies to be produced. Otherwise like HGS said, it's a reprint, he's done this before and knows how long it should take.

I've had plenty of kickstarters get delayed during the production and shipping phases so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the August date slip, even if that's when it should ship.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Does Kickstarter cause the life of everyone it touches to immediately fall apart?

In addition to what other people posted: being under a lot of stress definitely can make you sick. And probably that stress and feeling of being overwhelmed (perhaps because you are actually overwhelmed) leads to making more mistakes, and probably can lead to relationship problems too. Probably small teams dealing with kickstarter fulfillment see the number of arguments and disagreements and stuff rise just because everyone's on edge.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Also bear in mind you're less likely to get updates like "feelin' okay!" because that's not much of an update, but issues that'll slow things down will get brought up. So you're much, much more likely to hear about the bad stuff going on in a Kickstarter creator's life.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

Huh, that's weird. I just got a shipping label generated for UA3, even though I got my books like two weeks ago.

Same :iiam:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

They sent out an update; they closed out BackerKit and it automatically sent out a bunch of tracking emails even though everything's already sent. :ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, everything got mailed fine but the shipping notification was a bit of a surprise. They also mentioned more progress on books Four and Five and I'm looking forward to those, but since they were stretch goals they weren't as ready for release as the core set.

Meanwhile Blue Rose had some weird tracking number issues and had to reship some stuff, including mine, which will then have to go through the postal service forwarding and hopefully get here soon.