Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
#rohandidnothingwrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Exclusive video of Hired Goons safety briefings.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sxXep-aUIc

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3dhHDew0Hc

We've got an update from Rohan. She's breaking radio silence and leveling with us. I'm very hopeful she'll do the right thing but we're not a charity. We can give her another chance. Or we can boot her rear end.

I'm trying Amazon Polly for some voice generation. On the plus side I can do lots more voice stuff (for free!) but on the downside it doesn't sound as good as a real person. Though it does sound better than some of the Fiverr actors I've seen. What do you guys think?

Ground Chat

The Bulgarians have arrived. They came through the Suez, transited into Tanzania and crossed through the Zambia like a raving pack of animals. We've got some gritty shots of T-72's, BMP's, infantry vehicles, and a rag tag assortment of cargo trucks. But, of interest to us, is this.

Maybe it's going to cover the Free State, but I kind of have a feeling we're going to be dealing with one of those nasty sons of bitches.

I'm hammering out some details with Von Hoff, but right now the Bulgarians are looking to be headed for Capelongo. If they can take that area they'll cut off Monongue and our newly won lithium mines won't be worth poo poo. That's the main mission. There, um, seems to be a payment issue that is going to require some extracurricular explosions.

More to come.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

DO YOU NEED BOMBERS? TRANSPORTS? CRAZY OLO'S BOMBER EMPORIUM IS NOW OPEN FOR BUSINESS!!!

:ssh: Don't tell my boss, he doesn't know these are for sale yet.

Wait, I'm the boss.

Cramped as gently caress cockpit, hope you guys like pissing in bags. Wait, what's that in anyway?

Oh yeah, it's that old AC-130 gunship I found in a hangar.

Ignore the other... shoppers. Yeah. Got plenty of C-130s, with and without guns.

More of my C-130 stock. And a V-22 next to it, in case you need to move ground troops in style.

Need to move bigger things? How about a C-17?

Need to move even bigger things? A C-5 should do it! Just look at those engines!

"But Crazy Olo, you said this was about bombers?"
Yes, yes it is.

B-52.

B-1.

B-2. Might be a bit harder to snag one of these babies, but oh boy are they fun!

Ok, not a bomber or a transport technically, but it can probably drop bombs so it counts! F-18 of some variety.

Not impressed with a regular ol' F-18? Want the naval version with carrier takeoff/landing capability? Got those too!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

DIBS ON A BOMBER

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Olothreutes posted:

Oh yeah, it's that old AC-130 gunship I found in a hangar.

!!!

Guns Guns Guns volunteering for gunship duty :patriot:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

DO YOU NEED BOMBERS? TRANSPORTS? CRAZY OLO'S BOMBER EMPORIUM IS NOW OPEN FOR BUSINESS!!!

Olo! Did Willie finally fire your rear end? Bout goddamn time. You worked hard for years pimping those mattresses and used jets. I'm glad to see you're able to move some merchandise on your own. Once we get through this next conundrum we'll talk price. Do you still do mattresses too? It's hard as gently caress to sleep in Angola.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Cathode Raymond posted:

!!!

Guns Guns Guns volunteering for gunship duty :patriot:

Not sure why they still have seats for troops instead of more bombs, but who knows?! Fire control station in the background, with seating at least as cramped as the cockpit! OH YEAH!

Yooper posted:

Olo! Did Willie finally fire your rear end? Bout goddamn time. You worked hard for years pimping those mattresses and used jets. I'm glad to see you're able to move some merchandise on your own. Once we get through this next conundrum we'll talk price.

I prefer to think that I... amicably parted ways with Willie. And so did some of his stock :v:

Yooper posted:

Do you still do mattresses too? It's hard as gently caress to sleep in Angola.

Can I interest you in a fine Serta Perfect Sleeper Eurotop? I have one myself, fantastic mattress. Bit pricey though, might cost more than some of those bombers if you want it shipped to Angola.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I don't have any bombers, but I do have some other stuff y'all might be interested in. Managed to get my hands on a museum that was liquidating its collection, EVERYTHING MUST GO!

(ran when parked)

(The G variant)

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 24, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
do they make a gunship version of the Spartan yet? that's a cute lil plane.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yooper posted:

We've got an update from Rohan. She's breaking radio silence and leveling with us. I'm very hopeful she'll do the right thing but we're not a charity. We can give her another chance. Or we can boot her rear end.

I'm trying Amazon Polly for some voice generation. On the plus side I can do lots more voice stuff (for free!) but on the downside it doesn't sound as good as a real person. Though it does sound better than some of the Fiverr actors I've seen. What do you guys think?

Ground Chat

The Bulgarians have arrived. They came through the Suez, transited into Tanzania and crossed through the Zambia like a raving pack of animals. We've got some gritty shots of T-72's, BMP's, infantry vehicles, and a rag tag assortment of cargo trucks. But, of interest to us, is this.

Maybe it's going to cover the Free State, but I kind of have a feeling we're going to be dealing with one of those nasty sons of bitches.

I'm hammering out some details with Von Hoff, but right now the Bulgarians are looking to be headed for Capelongo. If they can take that area they'll cut off Monongue and our newly won lithium mines won't be worth poo poo. That's the main mission. There, um, seems to be a payment issue that is going to require some extracurricular explosions.

More to come.

SA-20 Gargoyle in the pic I think. Not an S 400 but pretty loving close. I'd treat it as a Patriot equivalent, extremely loving nasty.

It needs to die. And in a methodical and planned manner, or else we'll lose airframes and crew. Locate it, and feed it SDBs if you can keep it's radar off. Terrain masking and denying radar locks is vital, so absolutely warrants jammer support.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 24, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yooper posted:

Sounds pretty good to me, actually. Could be a nice supplement or substitute for Fiverr.

Quinntan posted:

I am all for Operation Intervention for Captain Rohan.
I am very much in favor of this. In her current state, she's going to get someone (we don't want dead) killed.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'd suggest suggesting she take the SK-60s (assuming we had no further utility for them) and start training a Free Angolan Air Force (I'm sure there are a lot of people who'd be willing to try), which would make some sense - I mean, isn't the usual way during WWII that the Allies, rather than keeping their top pilots flying til they died like the Axis, specifically pulled them back into training the upcoming pilots, raising the overall quality?

I could be in favor of this idea. Even if it isn't Rohan specifically, I think we could make some extra money training up other mercs or Von Hoff's people -- we could even take the students up on easy CAS missions as a sort of final exam.

The other revenue-generating option for the SK 60s is to sell them to the Free State. They'd get shot down pretty fast, so I doubt we'd ever see them again. And we could probably charge 1.5-2 million a piece for them, given the shortage of aircraft in theater.

Maybe give them one of those JSDF anime paint jobs or something to make the Free Staters pay extra.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

:gizz: Buy that, sign me up as a pilot for the titanium bathtub. Callsign "Buzzkill." Strafing things with a GAU-8 is like my biggest fantasy.

Pretty sure that's an A-10, the picture is the size of a postage stamp but I recognize those engines.

E: Yup, A-10.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 24, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Dandywalken posted:

SA-20 Gargoyle in the pic I think. Not an S 400 but pretty loving close. I'd treat it as a Patriot equivalent, extremely loving nasty.

It needs to die. And in a methodical and planned manner, or else we'll lose airframes and crew.

Picture is labelled S-300PMU2. For reference...

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

More chances for Rohan

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Rohan can have her second chance, let's hope she doesn't bomb a hospital.

Polly honestly sounds better than some of the people I've seen on Fiverr, I say keep it.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Actually, rewatching the op, can people explain why they were so impressed by the Gorgon Stare? It seemed like it couldn't identify poo poo until it was right overhead of it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The Gorgon pod behaved pretty weirdly there. It was spotting and positively identifying planes taking off on the other side of the country, but then somehow couldn't ID tanks 500 feet away.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Davin Valkri posted:

Picture is labelled S-300PMU2. For reference...

works from the deck up to space with a longer range than a harm and relatively rapid fire capability, yep that's in the category of super nasty sams

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Crazycryodude posted:

The Gorgon pod behaved pretty weirdly there. It was spotting and positively identifying planes taking off on the other side of the country, but then somehow couldn't ID tanks 500 feet away.

I'm wondering if it operating at ridiculously low altitude meant it couldn't actually get LOS to the stuff it was trying to spot. It'd also explain why that Igla team apparently had no idea it was there.

Also I'd like to state that my plan for Fire Rohan With A Meteor was only for if she goes off the reservation again. If next time she decides to be useful she can stay. Though I am still interested in having the ground mercs steal her Rafales, assuming they finish their thunderdome some time before we finish blowing up the entirety of Angola.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

UberJew posted:

works from the deck up to space with a longer range than a harm and relatively rapid fire capability, yep that's in the category of super nasty sams

Think Gripens slinging SDBs from max range at altitude could work, target resolution permitting? Just slinging em from way up at speed, and immediately diving back away after weapons are launched. Should be overwhelmed if we can get them off at a good range.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
So the plan here is figure out where it is, loiter at max HARM range, then when it radiates throw everything at it and bug out in the opposite direction, right?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Alternative plan: does flying a Taurus through their window count as "overkill"?

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Yooper posted:

Sheeeit... that fucker's gotta die. (Well, unless it's deployed in the north against the redditors. Then it can wait a bit.)

I'm thinking: Prowler, both Tornados with HARMs, and two Gripens with SDBs. Prowler jams and gets everyone to 70 nmi, whereupon everyone launches their HARMs and SDBs and then promptly GTFOs. I'm hoping five incoming HARMs is enough, because that's the most we can launch. We'll see if the "high speed" part of "high speed anti radiation missile" helps them get through, because if they don't take out the radar then they'll be able to shoot down all of the incoming SDBs at leisure.

Added Space posted:

Actually, rewatching the op, can people explain why they were so impressed by the Gorgon Stare? It seemed like it couldn't identify poo poo until it was right overhead of it.

It helps if it actually flies higher than massive visual obstructions like trees and hills. :v: It was stuck at minimum altitude. If it was flying higher then it would have started detecting and classifying everything remotely near it.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Olothreutes posted:

:gizz: Buy that, sign me up as a pilot for the titanium bathtub. Callsign "Buzzkill." Strafing things with a GAU-8 is like my biggest fantasy.

Pretty sure that's an A-10, the picture is the size of a postage stamp but I recognize those engines.

E: Yup, A-10.

HEY I CALLED IT FIRST! :mad:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Vando posted:

So the plan here is figure out where it is, loiter at max HARM range, then when it radiates throw everything at it and bug out in the opposite direction, right?

alternatively you hope your ewar is good enough to degrade its radar to the point where you can launch first (i don't know if it could, because ewar stuff is all sealed black magics), or you hope you can terrain mask an approach with your radar off close enough to pop up and either hit the thing before it can retaliate or get behind something

or you buy the boat and take it out with a cruise missile

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Psawhn posted:

It helps if it actually flies higher than massive visual obstructions like trees and hills. :v: It was stuck at minimum altitude. If it was flying higher then it would have started detecting and classifying everything remotely near it.

I had it at a few different altitudes and it didn't seem to vary much as far as tank detection went. The higher it was the better it was at seeing things way off in the distance.

I have a hunch it had to do with the hostile ground units being "grouped". As our planes were bombing things we couldn't see. And that shouldn't be possible. No grouping in the future.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Psawhn posted:

Sheeeit... that fucker's gotta die. (Well, unless it's deployed in the north against the redditors. Then it can wait a bit.)

I'm thinking: Prowler, both Tornados with HARMs, and two Gripens with SDBs. Prowler jams and gets everyone to 70 nmi, whereupon everyone launches their HARMs and SDBs and then promptly GTFOs. I'm hoping five incoming HARMs is enough, because that's the most we can launch. We'll see if the "high speed" part of "high speed anti radiation missile" helps them get through, because if they don't take out the radar then they'll be able to shoot down all of the incoming SDBs at leisure.

Are we going to be able to use the prowler to stop it from firing at us long enough to get in HARM and SDB range?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Bacarruda posted:

The other revenue-generating option for the SK 60s is to sell them to the Free State. They'd get shot down pretty fast, so I doubt we'd ever see them again. And we could probably charge 1.5-2 million a piece for them, given the shortage of aircraft in theater.

Yeah, or the SMARF - I'm a big fan of this. They need ground attack capability having lost all theirs. Even if we don't get premium pricing it's still a good deal because it will force the dictators forces to deal with them which reduces the focus on us.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

UberJew posted:

or you buy the boat and take it out with a cruise missile

Once again, I vote bote.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Thefluffy posted:

HEY I CALLED IT FIRST! :mad:

Buy two then. Actually buy as many as we can, holy poo poo they are like the best CAS plane ever.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Dandywalken posted:

Think Gripens slinging SDBs from max range at altitude could work, target resolution permitting? Just slinging em from way up at speed, and immediately diving back away after weapons are launched. Should be overwhelmed if we can get them off at a good range.

Our best weapon for a standoff strike would be the Taurus KEPD 350P cruise missile carried by the Tornadoes. It's got a 180 nm range. It's the biggest reason I wanted to buy more than four, and it's a reason why losing the two Tornadoes is such a huge blow.

It's alos a problem because the Tornadoes are the only aircraft which can carry more than one HARM. So we're very short on the SEAD department now.

The Gripens can carry the GBU-39/B SDB which can hit targets 60 nm away.

If we want to kill the S-300s, out best bet is to send out the Growler to sniff for its radar. Once we find the radar, we may want to send the Reaper with Gorgon up to high alt to sniff out the site and visually ID it. Then, we send in the Tornadoes to cruise missile it to death.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

If we get a firm location of the emitter, could we do this with the Sperwers? https://www.wired.com/2017/04/bad-news-now-militants-using-drones-projectiles/

In any case, using the Sperwers as decoys in a situation like this seems like a good idea. We could at least use them to get the radar to start emitting.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Voting Keep Rohan. She didn't bomb a hospital, she bombed a hotel full of the Dictator's lithium buyers. If anything it sent a message that the Dictator can't protect his assets and isn't a safe place to to business. They knew the risks, it's the whole Death Star contractors thing. A bunch of executives and engineers going into a country with a three-way civil war knows that their asses are on the line and Rohan showed them that there's only one region that's got the cojones to piss in the rest of the shitler's cheerios.

Also, call Willie and get an AC-130 gunship jesus christ that would be beyond awesome.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Yooper posted:

I had it at a few different altitudes and it didn't seem to vary much as far as tank detection went. The higher it was the better it was at seeing things way off in the distance.

I have a hunch it had to do with the hostile ground units being "grouped". As our planes were bombing things we couldn't see. And that shouldn't be possible. No grouping in the future.

9 on the keypad switches from group view to unit view

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Olothreutes posted:

Buy two then. Actually buy as many as we can, holy poo poo they are like the best CAS plane ever.

eh, its not better than the 3 or so phantoms you could get for the same price

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Olothreutes posted:

.. No, not so much. They were the best ever circa 1970. They'll do great when the best thing your enemy can use for air defense is a 23/2. As displayed above that is emphatically not the case. These days they just sling bombs at things, which we can do with.. well, pretty much everything else. They're also slow as poo poo so good luck escorting them with your CAP.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
yeah remember that while phantoms can go supersonic and carry real missiles to defend themselves with an a-10 would have a slightly better a2g loadout but be unable to outrun or outfight anything

they'd be limited to the same sort of permissive airspace as the sk60s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

How many bombs can we fit in a Stratofortress? A B-52 crammed to the gills with precision munitions sounds like the best CAS craft in the world, honestly. Have something that can buddy lase paint the targets and you've got a never-ending stream of JDAM's to call down. Could probably kill a whole armored brigade with just one load or something.