Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
Stop working and just make hourly posts. I will read them and feel better any time I'm feeling frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Update: some people took a look at the server and their diagnosis is:

quote:

I think it falls down when people use it too much.

I swear to god I am not making any of this up.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Eject

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Hughlander posted:

Think of it on the opposite end. Is the work "done" if QA hasn't looked at it and it's not released to customers? Are you going to keep pulling more stories or closing out a sprint and start a new one with this backup at QA? Is this something QA is capable of ever catching up or will they be getting further and further behind? What happens when they find a bug in a story you did last sprint but they're just now testing? How do you track that level of rework?

I hated this part of scrum so much. Every loving sprint would end with half the stories getting tossed at QA the day before. There was one developer who loved to say that his work was "code complete" and then he'd be done for the sprint while QA tried to figure out how to write repro steps for "none of your poo poo works at all". (That should be easy, but since we never wrote decent acceptance criteria in the first place... :rolleye:)

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

The place I'm at solved that by disbanding the QA department without any plan to cover the void left. We've shifted paradigms from QA to AQ - assumed quality.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My favorite was when we introduced the swimlane limits and our QA column would be over the limit, but I couldn't help move anything along, because I was the developer for everything in the QA column and our team policy was not to QA our own work. Then our QA guy quit for a job across town and we had to start borrowing a QA person from other teams. Fortunately, they laid me off a few days later.

Now I'm in my sweats, watching Price Is Right. Three months and counting!

Got a phone screen today for a job with the county, though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mniot posted:

Stop working and just make hourly posts. I will read them and feel better any time I'm feeling frustrated.

Seconding this.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

lifg posted:

Protip: have your deploy script check the company directory for your name, and abort if it's missing.

At a previous company we used a database for deploying customer cloud machines and found that because of how that database's constraints are setup when an account manager for the customer leaves the company, our entire application broke for ALL customers.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

All the version control chat reminded me of some conversations with a coworker...

We use Perforce here, which is dogshit, but we were given the ultimatum to use it instead of teams each having their own flavor of SCM. Okay, fine, I can get behind that. A coworker starts asking me to help him get p4python compiled with SSL support, etc, and has a bunch of other weird and suspicious questions. Eventually I figure out he is building a deployment system that goes something like: deployment webpage takes a form submission -> sends an email to a magic address -> mailproc reads that and fires off some p4python stuff -> workspace shenanigans occur -> somehow the workspace gets synced on the server. This of course only works if the Perforce server isn't down, which occurs less frequently these days, but still.

So I'm like "wow that's complicated." So he asks how I deploy code and I just say "rsync" and he's like "But we were told to use Perforce!!!!"

edit: the same guy also wants to use Jenkins to do some really odd poo poo

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 21, 2017

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Pollyanna posted:

Update: some people took a look at the server and their diagnosis is:

I swear to god I am not making any of this up.

We had this same problem with atlassian-hosted bamboo. It would run into DB locks and just take a giant steaming dump if too many people looked at the build status page for too long :pwn:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

All the version control chat reminded me of some conversations with a coworker...

We use Perforce here, which is dogshit, but we were given the ultimatum to use it instead of teams each having their own flavor of SCM. Okay, fine, I can get behind that. A coworker starts asking me to help him get p4python compiled with SSL support, etc, and has a bunch of other weird and suspicious questions. Eventually I figure out he is building a deployment system that goes something like: deployment webpage takes a form submission -> sends an email to a magic address -> mailproc reads that and fires off some p4python stuff -> workspace shenanigans occur -> somehow the workspace gets synced on the server. This of course only works if the Perforce server isn't down, which occurs less frequently these days, but still.

So I'm like "wow that's complicated." So he asks how I deploy code and I just say "rsync" and he's like "But we were told to use Perforce!!!!"

edit: the same guy also wants to use Jenkins to do some really odd poo poo
Jenkins is really good if you know what you're doing but a lot of people use build and deploy pipelines to continuously deliver job security

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vulture Culture posted:

Jenkins is really good if you know what you're doing but a lot of people use build and deploy pipelines to continuously deliver job security

Basically what our current guy is trying to do. It's not working out well for him, cause he's going to get fired soon anyway.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

1: Put all project work and updates in JIRA
2: Client complains about lack of feedback on project status
3: Move everything to Teamworks
4: Client refuses to use Teamworks "Its too complicated"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

We had this same problem with atlassian-hosted bamboo. It would run into DB locks and just take a giant steaming dump if too many people looked at the build status page for too long :pwn:

I've seen the same with just the lovely default tomcat instance a Jenkins WAR wants to run. Get enough slaves running enough jobs with enough people checking status and it's almost non-stop STW GC.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

FUN WITH GLOBALS:

Running the full unit test suite before merging a feature branch containing changes to a filter. One controller test suite completely fails down the line. Controller test suite run on its own passes 100%. Two hours of debugging later, find a third completely unrelated test that had forgotten to clean up their threadlocal and was causing this single controller test to fail.

raggum fraggum ragglesnatz :tizzy:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

quote:

Based on the work we have in front of us, I will ask everyone to put in the time necessary to meet the upcoming deadlines. This will likely include working over the weekends for the next two weeks. Next week, we will be ordering lunch for everyone at noon. Please help yourself.

I would personally be in the office every day even though I am not directly involved in fixing the bugs. Being physically present shows your support and boosts the overall morale. I will leave exact arrangements to each person’s discretion.

Hope to see some of you then.

:effort:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Just once, I would like to see a manager just say, "All hands on deck. You are required to be here."

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

CPColin posted:

Just once, I would like to see a manager just say, "All hands on deck. You are required to be here."

Had a Director say, "Saturday is no longer an optional workday." does that count?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That's close. Interpret it as, "You may no longer come in on Saturdays."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's the best thing to do in this case? Besides :yotj: which is already underway.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Pollyanna posted:

What's the best thing to do in this case? Besides :yotj: which is already underway.

Come in and then work on resume/coding challenges?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm a big proponent of never putting in more than 40 hours/week, doubly so if you're :yotj:ing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Consume way too much sodium from all the ordered-in food and then hold a grudge for seven years.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Aside from :yotj:, there really isn't much that doesn't lead to very uncomfortable meetings and possible firings. Come down with a sudden case of food poisoning and insist that you really, really can't come in.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

It's weird, I've been getting food poisoning every weekend since that email went out. Must be whatever the Friday takeout was...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Is there even a chance of them meeting the goals? Does the company lock it's doors and fails to make payroll if it skips this milestone?

Basically they probably can't afford to fire you given the drain already, but will you still have a job regardless?

I personally would probably show up. I haven't worked weekends in a decade, but my old rule was that there's no alarm set on a weekend. Whenever I wake up, I'd take a shower, get breakfast and go to the office. 4 hours or so later I'd leave. This was usually 11-3 or 11-4.

But obviously getting out of there is your new fulltime job.

And I'd still ask for a promotion. There's a lot of ranks to fill.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hughlander posted:

Is there even a chance of them meeting the goals?

:newlol:

quote:

Does the company lock it's doors and fails to make payroll if it skips this milestone?

It's a financial company, and we're doing its site redesign, so I doubt that would happen. But they would get angry and try and fire us anyway.

quote:

Basically they probably can't afford to fire you given the drain already, but will you still have a job regardless?

A good portion of the drain is because of layoffs and firings, the morale tanked and now people are leaving the sinking ship. I do not put it past them to lay us all off.

quote:

I personally would probably show up. I haven't worked weekends in a decade, but my old rule was that there's no alarm set on a weekend. Whenever I wake up, I'd take a shower, get breakfast and go to the office. 4 hours or so later I'd leave. This was usually 11-3 or 11-4.

Already happens. We've also got remote options so I've taken to just working remotely all day, and that's roughly equivalent.

quote:

But obviously getting out of there is your new fulltime job.

And I'd still ask for a promotion. There's a lot of ranks to fill.

Seconded. And no, I'm not interested in a promotion - I don't want to work there anymore, the company itself is terrible. And they don't do promotions or bump up pay, they only pay engineers the going market rate (where market rate = base salary + yearly bonus, the latter of which is subject to being cut by as much as 20% based on the company's success of the past year).

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Pollyanna posted:

Seconded. And no, I'm not interested in a promotion - I don't want to work there anymore, the company itself is terrible. And they don't do promotions or bump up pay, they only pay engineers the going market rate (where market rate = base salary + yearly bonus, the latter of which is subject to being cut by as much as 20% based on the company's success of the past year).

Can't hurt to ask. Could be a good chunk of change if you end up staying 3 months while looking. Only reason not to is if you're worried about getting golden handcuffs.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skandranon posted:

Can't hurt to ask. Could be a good chunk of change if you end up staying 3 months while looking. Only reason not to is if you're worried about getting golden handcuffs.

Also if they fire for this reason, it cannot be understated how much better you will be mentally and physically not having to go to a soul crushing death march everyday.
If you can financially stand to be without work for a few weeks or months, that is.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
This is an angry disorganized rant. This is formatted terribly because I just want to vent.

Thing that's loving killing me lately: Requirements.

One of my project managers is bad at tracking requirements. The format changes all the time. Sometimes it's an excel spreadsheet, sometimes it's a document, sometimes it's directly on the task in TFS, sometimes it's a picture of a whiteboard, sometimes it's a "wireframe". Nothing ever gets updated consistently. Most projects use multiple of these, alternating on and off as time goes.

Today I was told that I should have followed a wireframe exactly. Unfortunately, the wireframe does not match other requirements. They layout is different than the layout used in multiple other design meetings. What is and isn't present is completely arbitrary. There are things mentioned nowhere else that are present. Things that are explicitly required elsewhere are missing or conflict with the other requirements. It certainly doesn't match the layout drawn on a whiteboard by the same PM, which is still there not even erased. I'm apparently expected to just know what is right and wrong on the wireframe, but follow it exactly.

I guess I need 3 extra monitors so I can just constantly parse out which portions of which requirements are latest. Oh, on document a, foo is a set of textboxes arranged horizontally and bar is a repeated section with two checkboxes and a drop down arranged vertically. On document b, foo is one big textbox and a drop down arranged vertically and bar is a set of 8 checkboxes. For foo the drop down was added to document b after the textboxes and horizontal layout were added to document a, so it must be a drop down and textboxes arranged vertically. For bar it was actually discussed last wednesday that it's now 6 drop downs auto-populated from somewhere else, and that's newer than document a and b, so that's what is. Oh, nevermind, document c was just created in another meeting I wasn't invited to. Foo and bar are both one large textbox now.

I almost want to start pulling some malicious compliance crap and build things that look exactly like the last set of requirements I received, even if it means completely losing pieces and parts required elsewhere. "Oh, but I followed that wireframe exactly!"

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 21, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

wilderthanmild posted:

This is an angry disorganized rant. This is formatted terribly because I just want to vent.

Thing that's loving killing me lately: Requirements.
The last time I asked anyone for a spec, it consisted of one screenshot from the old version of the app pasted into a Word document with a list of non-functional requirements ("can't be slower than old system" at the top, thanks for the vote of confidence) written on the screenshot in Paint. It took my boss a week to produce it.

I think it took more time to proceed with this spec than with our usual "looks legit, let's throw it over the fence to our part-time single QA, and if we can get it past him, hope nobody tries to use it until after release because our schedule keeps getting unpredictably blown out for some reason" tactic.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 22, 2017

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Please stop, you guys are giving me anxiety attacks again.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

I almost want to start pulling some malicious compliance crap and build things that look exactly like the last set of requirements I received, even if it means completely losing pieces and parts required elsewhere. "Oh, but I followed that wireframe exactly!"

You should. You have two choices:
1) continue to let these people pass the blame off to you because you actually give a poo poo about the product.
2) hold these assholes accountable to their jobs and tell them that they need to produce a coherent spec. Follow that up with demanding them sign off on the spec before any work is done. And then once they sign off on it, follow it to a T. However, if you see something, say something. This forces them to think about what their signing off on.

If they don't want to do the second part of 2, then follow the spec given to you to the letter.

As soon as you choose number two, life will be far easier for you.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 22, 2017

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Right. What makes it so hard to just ask for a *single* requirements doc? Is it fear of confrontation or arguing with a superior?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

CPColin posted:

My favorite was when we introduced the swimlane limits and our QA column would be over the limit, but I couldn't help move anything along, because I was the developer for everything in the QA column and our team policy was not to QA our own work. Then our QA guy quit for a job across town and we had to start borrowing a QA person from other teams. Fortunately, they laid me off a few days later.

Now I'm in my sweats, watching Price Is Right. Three months and counting!

Got a phone screen today for a job with the county, though.

My favorite was when we added a swim lane for "Product Acceptance" after QA. Now we can't count points because product doesn't have the time to approve stuff.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
In scrum, everyone on the team is known as a 'developer'. Is this because:

1. Scrum was created for software development, and therefore teams are composed almost entirely of software developers?
  2. Everyone on a scrum team is so cross-functional that everyone is equally useful as a software developer, no matter what their original skillset was?
  3. Team members are 'product developers', not software devs as such, and develop a product as opposed to software? Therefore it's still correct to call them developers, regardless of their actual job (design, test, dba, etc)?

I'd always assumed it was the cross-functional bit, but someone sent a scrum master on a course and now he's bringing up questions.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I like to think it's 3, but in my darkest heart I know it's 2.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Where is option 4. That is what the company they cargo cult scrum from calls them, so they do it too?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Gildiss posted:

Where is option 4. That is what the company they cargo cult scrum from calls them, so they do it too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

redleader posted:

In scrum, everyone on the team is known as a 'developer'. Is this because:

1. Scrum was created for software development, and therefore teams are composed almost entirely of software developers?
  2. Everyone on a scrum team is so cross-functional that everyone is equally useful as a software developer, no matter what their original skillset was?
  3. Team members are 'product developers', not software devs as such, and develop a product as opposed to software? Therefore it's still correct to call them developers, regardless of their actual job (design, test, dba, etc)?

I'd always assumed it was the cross-functional bit, but someone sent a scrum master on a course and now he's bringing up questions.

4) Developers get billed for more money. This trick lets you add a documentation writer, three qa, a product owner and a scrum master to a team of four software engineers and bill for ten developers.