Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Meh, there's been worse stuff than trap. It's just mostly boring, but I actually like some of the slower trap in the background on a hot doing nothing day.

I like Mkannon because he reminds me of Biz Markie.

e: Better start of a new page with some content.

"Passion of the Nerd" is a dude who does Buffy and angel retrospectives.

I didn't really know which video to post so I guess I'll just link his youtube channel lists for anyone who's interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCeKXXs1A7EC60_AXoOl1Hsg?playlists

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sarcopenia posted:

"Passion of the Nerd" is a dude who does Buffy and angel retrospectives.

I found this guy last night and spent a while watching his videos. I like them! Well edited. He has a good voice. And his Buffy opinions are correct. :colbert:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

scared and threatened by this new iteration of the black people music

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alaois posted:

scared and threatened by this new iteration of the black people music

Nah, it just sounded bad, doesn't matter who it came from, would be great if people could come up with something that's not "EY WHORES AMIRITE"

Or you know less "Haha I'll make the dykes straight" lyrics would be pretty fantastic too.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 23, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Nah, it just sounded bad, doesn't matter who it came from, would be great if people could come up with something that's not "EY WHORES AMIRITE"

Or you know less "Haha I'll make the dykes straight" lyrics would be pretty fantastic too.

sexpig by night posted:

you're not supposed to be rooting for that person in the song, hence the literal name of the song

but i understand, it is a bunch of those people singing the song, and you know what they're like

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Alaois posted:

but i understand, it is a bunch of those people singing the song, and you know what they're like

Homophobes? Yeah, they're pretty poo poo dude.

And I mean hell that pretty much exact same line of the second thing is in more songs than just that one. I don't even have to be referring to the dumb migos song to say "Maybe lyrics that sound like some almost corrective rape poo poo aren't very good."

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 23, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

Homophobes? Yeah, they're pretty poo poo dude.

And I mean hell that pretty much exact same line of the second thing is in more songs than just that one. I don't even have to be referring to the dumb migos song to say "Maybe lyrics that sound like some almost corrective rape poo poo aren't very good."

do you think johnny cash has released multiple albums confessing to murder

for clarity the song literally opens with

quote:

You know Young Rich Niggas
You know so we ain't really never had no old money
We got a whole lotta new money though
(If Young Metro don't trust you I'm gon' shoot ya)

like, it's an entire song about how people who never had money to pay bills suddenly getting crazy rich sometimes turn into crazy assholes who treat others poorly and do bad things. You know, a thing that happens constantly in the world and probably something a group of young black men finding success in the music world have opinions on.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 23, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I can't believe Mark Knopfler hates rock musicians so much

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:yikes:

So um, hey, Jim Sterling's latest video game review is pretty much a masterpiece.
[quote=Horse Racing 2016 Review – Horse poo poo
]
Since I think Sony must be high or trashed in order to continue letting digital excreta like this and Life of Black Tiger through the sluice gate, I’ve decided to get as close to hosed up as I can in order to write this review. In doing so, I hope to be struck by some stunning revelation and understand exactly what in the Christing gently caress is going through the heads of the “professionals” letting dangerously bad games near the public.[/quote]

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Like, it's an entire song about how people who never had money to pay bills suddenly getting crazy rich sometimes turn into crazy assholes who treat others poorly and do bad things. You know, a thing that happens constantly in the world and probably something a group of young black men finding success in the music world have opinions on.

I mean I get the context it's not that, but a song that's like half the lyrics making GBS threads on women and with a weird rapey or at least homophobic one thrown in there too didn't do much regardless of the framing for me, a dumb gay transperson, who just kind of takes stuff like that worse than your average whoever. I'm sorry for being so stupid and incendiary in earlier stuff, just didn't feel very good that a song that comes off so heavily against you and that you know a lot of assholes likely take at face value is a big popular deal when things are already bad enough anyway.

Sorry thread for even making this dumb discussion or derail or whatever.

Augus posted:

So um, hey, Jim Sterling's latest video game review is pretty much a masterpiece.
http://www.thejimquisition.com/horse-racing-2016-review-horse-poo poo/

I'm almost surprised this was even a 1/10 but I mean... I guess it at least turns on and functions?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That's cool. As a gay guy myself obviously I get a bit uneasy even with some of my favorite dudes in a lot of forms of entertainment having some real cool comments about people like me in their stuff at times. It just felt unfair to me to take a song very clearly about a character and try to act like it was the artist's views. Sorry if I came off as aggro there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I guess this falls into the responsibility issues of ironic bigotry. As in, how easily can this become an anthem for the assholes I'm satirising?

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Part of the game is rappers usually play the villain. It's like being a heel in wrestling. While in a lot of musical genres you're usually supposed to empathise with or sympathize with the singer (in the narrative of the song) in gangstar rap the default is flipped.

What I'm saying is it's kind of like the urban version of a disney villain song.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I dunno if he really counts as an "internet critic" but I like critical's content when he puts out vids of him just talking about poo poo, like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCRx78Zhj7s

A fun video imo about a stupid product

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Augus posted:

:yikes:

http://www.thejimquisition.com/horse-racing-2016-review-horse-poo poo/

Already unduly influencing metacritic:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wg6l9z3TnY

Movies with Mikey analyzes Arrival. He sounds so good for such a quick recovery. Plus, I can't believe he's the voice of Scooter in Borderlands and one of Gearbox's writers.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

I dunno if he really counts as an "internet critic" but I like critical's content when he puts out vids of him just talking about poo poo, like this

I am completely baffled by the fact that this exists. There's literally no benefit to owning it. Not even for the laziest person alive, it doesn't do anything. There are actual people who thought this would be worth risking their money on?

Augus fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 24, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Augus posted:

I am completely baffled by the fact that this exists. There's literally no benefit to owning it. Not even for the laziest person alive, it doesn't do anything. There are actual people who thought this would be worth risking their money on?

Silicon Valley VCs with too much money make stupid investments all the time. From everything I've heard, the HBO show is eerily accurate in its satire.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
it's not that baffling really, google poured money into it and the device's function seems to be to gather data for sale to third parties

that's google's entire business model

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FirstAidKite posted:

haven't watched a critical video in ages but that was fun.

"What is it updating? It's not gonna get a more efficient boulder to smash the juice!"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
what data can they get? what type of juice people like?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm still trying to figure out what market Juicero was supposed to target. Rich white people? They already have an overpriced juicer in their house. Hipster Whole Foods regulars? They're making their own juice recipes and have no use for your prepackaged crap. Regular consumers? lol no.

This is one of those harebrained products that was designed to appeal to the investors and exactly no one else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You got all that from one bag of oranges?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

You fools! As you can see by Jeff Dunn's defence of the product you don't just buy this for the juice you buy it for the experience. Oh sure you could squeeze or 'hack' the packet yourself but the quality of your drink would be inferior, probably dangerously so. The experience of using an app on a smart phone with a juicer just cannot be beat!

bessantj fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 24, 2017

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I don't get the point at all. If you're shelling out for a juicer, wouldn't you want one that can transform whole fruits and veggies into juice? Isn't this just the same as buying a bottle of juice, only $400 more expensive and with an extra ten steps to obtain your juice?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

I don't get the point at all. If you're shelling out for a juicer, wouldn't you want one that can transform whole fruits and veggies into juice? Isn't this just the same as buying a bottle of juice, only $400 more expensive and with an extra ten steps to obtain your juice?

Pretty much. Invest now!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Juicer is a pretty strong name for a device that squeezes a prepared juice packet into a glass, and also has a bunch of useless internet stuff.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

My personal favourite detail is still the fact that the Juicero is 2 feet tall.

If you watch the instructional video they explicitly shoot the thing to disguise the fact it's not going to fit comfortably anywhere in your kitchen.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FoldableHuman posted:

My personal favourite detail is still the fact that the Juicero is 2 feet tall.

If you watch the instructional video they explicitly shoot the thing to disguise the fact it's not going to fit comfortably anywhere in your kitchen.

That is not a large juicer, that is a small woodchipper.

You bought a human disposal machine... That's gonna tell the internet you've been killing people :v:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think my favorite thing is that it's four hundred dollars. It's like a magic number for "high-end" single-purpose kitchen appliances, particularly of the "Keurig for X" variety like this and the tortilla machine.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Mr. Fowl posted:

I think my favorite thing is that it's four hundred dollars. It's like a magic number for "high-end" single-purpose kitchen appliances, particularly of the "Keurig for X" variety like this and the tortilla machine.

It's $400 after a price drop, it was originally $700.

The whole thing with being always online and needing QR codes is entirely to please investors. Keurig machines "lose money" because people buy cheap knockoff Keurig cups instead of on brand ones, so by requiring unique QR codes for every packet Juicero can force you to buy their brand. It's DRM for loving juice.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

That is not a large juicer, that is a small woodchipper.

You bought a human disposal machine... That's gonna tell the internet you've been killing people :v:

It's not even that. It's not a juicer. It's the world's worst soda fountain. Even that makes it sound 100x better than it actually is. Like imagine if at a McDonalds, they just gave you a can of coke, and you put that into the soda fountain, and four minutes later you had coke in your cup. Also they charged you $8 for the can of coke.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
guys i can't wait until my toaster requires qr codes for my individual slices of bread

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Imagine spending $400 on DRM Capri Sun

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the last words that I'm gonna hear in my mind as I slide the gun into my mouth while my microwave beeps "INVALID QR CODE PLEASE CHECK CONNECTION" for the fifth time today are gonna be 'worst cyberpunk future ever'

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ApeHawk posted:

guys i can't wait until my toaster requires qr codes for my individual slices of bread

Better idea: A toaster that toasts unique QR codes into each slice, which when scanned, link you to information on upcoming sales and coupons for bread and preservatives.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

sexpig by night posted:

the last words that I'm gonna hear in my mind as I slide the gun into my mouth while my microwave beeps "INVALID QR CODE PLEASE CHECK CONNECTION" for the fifth time today are gonna be 'worst cyberpunk future ever'

*click* "unable to verify fingerprint scan, cannot fire at this time"

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

bessantj posted:

You fools! As you can see by Jeff Dunn's defence of the product you don't just buy this for the juice you buy it for the experience. Oh sure you could squeeze or 'hack' the packet yourself but the quality of your drink would be inferior, probably dangerously so. The experience of using an app on a smart phone with a juicer just cannot be beat!

My personal highlight of the whole story is the desperate attempts to spin the entire thing. The blog post where the CEO tries to defend the whole thing, probably written by dozens of marketing experts and the best reason they can come up with for the QR codes and the required wifi connection is a loving spinach recall.

The entire thing says absolutely nothing, it's an empty collection of buzzwords.

This got to be one of the best real life satires I have every seen.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DStecks posted:

It's not even that. It's not a juicer. It's the world's worst soda fountain. Even that makes it sound 100x better than it actually is. Like imagine if at a McDonalds, they just gave you a can of coke, and you put that into the soda fountain, and four minutes later you had coke in your cup. Also they charged you $8 for the can of coke.

It's insane. It's like they just didn't know how to make a juicer so they made a machine that in a very complicated manner does loving nothing instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Wrestling With Wregret reviews the Surf's Up sequel that became a WWE movie ... somehow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSUWFTbjWrs

• Locked thread