Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Clarste posted:

I think it's debatable how well something like a sports club would translate into real-world combat. Especially something like archery where you shoot at stationary targets at a fixed distance.

Yukari also potentially gets some kind of training for being in Featherman. Sure acting is a far cry from actual combat training but it's a step beyond other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Clarste posted:

I think it's debatable how well something like a sports club would translate into real-world combat. Especially something like archery where you shoot at stationary targets at a fixed distance.

Persona 5 says arcade games=marksmanship so

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yukari also potentially gets some kind of training for being in Featherman. Sure acting is a far cry from actual combat training but it's a step beyond other people.

Do not underestimate sentai program training, she has to be ready to defend the Earth at a moment's notice!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Motto posted:

Persona 5 says arcade games=marksmanship so

Well, they're shooting pretend guns, so...

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Who would win in a real-life fight, Chie or Makoto
By the time of P5 Chie has become a cop and kung fu fights bears alongside fellow cop Akihiko, and probably has a gun irl. However seeing as cops are Makoto's sworn enemy, it could go either way.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Gruckles posted:

By the time of P5 Chie has become a cop and kung fu fights bears alongside fellow cop Akihiko, and probably has a gun irl. However seeing as cops are Makoto's sworn enemy, it could go either way.

Makoto wants to be a cop, though

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

I thought Chie just imitated Kung Fu movies, whereas Makoto actually has self defense training.

Actually, in the cognitive world those things are both powerful :eng101:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Saagonsa posted:

Makoto wants to be a cop, though

All the better to destroy them from within

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Well, 101 hours later and I finally beat it. Outside of basically everything involving goro I don't really have any real complaints & it was basically everything I expected/wanted it to be.

Please either end the series now or take a super long time to make another one atlus, TIA.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It ends in the draw when they both realize they share a love of action movies and decide to hold a marathon instead.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In all seriousness, though, the P4 hick squad would be destroyed by anyone with a clue. That's just the harsh truth

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

bewilderment posted:

So, was the big calling-card midboss (you know the one) of Palace 7 meant to have some kind of special gimmick? I don't think I was too overlevelled (only killed the Reaper one single time), but he went down before he could do anything special. I got one message of "is staring at Joker" and then used a move called Laevateinn, but my Joker just totally dodged it and then next turn the boss died.

Also for realsies why is the palace 7 actual bosses' first form harder than all the rest? Big damage I can handle, having Joker be hit by Wage War and then suiciding onto Phys-Repel I cannot. When I retried I had an Orochi with Unbreakable Will so I just stayed on that until the form changes and that was that.

Wait that boss has a unique move?

I got a turn 2 Concen-Charge after using Debilitate and coming in with Mataru up and obliterated him with Snipe+Cripple boosted One-Shot Kill from Sieg. Paradoxically I feel like I missed out.

What does it do?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

No Mods No Masters posted:

In all seriousness, though, the P4 hick squad would be destroyed by anyone with a clue. That's just the harsh truth

Did they ever mention where Joker is from? What if he's from Inaba

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Man, Palace 3 is a big difficulty spike, huh?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Joker is actually Nanako.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Eh, that's kinda out the window with Arena establishing that they can go toe-to-toe with the Persona Special Ops squad from 3. Each team has their own methods, but they're all pretty drat powerful.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Wait that boss has a unique move?

I got a turn 2 Concen-Charge after using Debilitate and coming in with Mataru up and obliterated him with Snipe+Cripple boosted One-Shot Kill from Sieg. Paradoxically I feel like I missed out.

What does it do?

It's just a single-target Almighty attack. His gimmick is that he's obsessed with showing up Joker, so I guess it could be dangerous if you were totally unprepared to take damage and also didn't have 3 party members willing to die for him (4 if you count Futaba's thing).

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Spoiler tags, please.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I keep on hearing conflicting things about whether to complete the last Palace as quickly as possible. I just started it, so should I take my time, or just do my usual thing of getting to the treasure and sending the card right away?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I completed it in the minimum amount of time as always. You don't lose any free days or anything for completing it early

Clarste posted:

Nanako: Ravage them

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

PunkBoy posted:

I keep on hearing conflicting things about whether to complete the last Palace as quickly as possible. I just started it, so should I take my time, or just do my usual thing of getting to the treasure and sending the card right away?

Just do as usual.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Thanks all!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Well I mean the p5 crew are rubes so it balances out.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

Man, Palace 3 is a big difficulty spike, huh?

Make sure to abuse status effects in palace 3. Having Ryuji headbutt Onis is how I got through Palace 3.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did they ever mention where Joker is from? What if he's from Inaba

Given the area he's in during the start of the game looking fairly suburban, and the fact that Shido was even there in the first place, it's probably some suburb of Tokyo.

Hell, he could've easily moved like 10 miles or some poo poo.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I imagine it would go like the Rowdy Roddy Piper fight with Keith David in They Live. Yeah, they'd beat the poo poo out of each other at first but then they'd become allies and it would turn into the best buddy-cop movie ever.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Harrow posted:

I'm curious: what did everyone name Joker?

At this point I generally name my Persona protagonists after previous Persona or SMT characters, which is how my Joker became a distant relative of the Kuzunoha clan.

Digging this back up. I consulted Behind the Name and learned that "Hayato" apparently meant "Falcon Person," which seemed appropriate for a Phantom Thief's name. And then I just went with "Watanabe" for the last name in honor of Cowboy Bebop. :shobon:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I name all my protagonists the same name, which is an anagram of my real name. It doesn't matter what gender, race, species. It means my characters get called "Comrade" a lot, which worked really well in this game.

I named my group after these folks, it seemed appropriate

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

Eh, that's kinda out the window with Arena establishing that they can go toe-to-toe with the Persona Special Ops squad from 3. Each team has their own methods, but they're all pretty drat powerful.

Those country boys and gals do have farmer strength. Never played Arena but since it supposedly canon, do they fight in the "real world", out of the P3/P4/P5 crews, the P3 crew are the only ones that can summon persona in real world right?

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Supremezero posted:

Given the area he's in during the start of the game looking fairly suburban, and the fact that Shido was even there in the first place, it's probably some suburb of Tokyo.

Hell, he could've easily moved like 10 miles or some poo poo.

One of the party remembers asks Joker if he's used to the crowded trains yet. If he's from Tokyo, I'm pretty sure he'd know the stations and such already.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

davidHalestorm posted:

Those country boys and gals do have farmer strength. Never played Arena but since it supposedly canon, do they fight in the "real world", out of the P3/P4/P5 crews, the P3 crew are the only ones that can summon persona in real world right?

Arena takes place in the TV World while Arena Ultimax takes place in the real world merged with the TV World. So in both cases everyone has access to their persona normally. The P3 cast can even summon theirs without evokers!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

Digging this back up. I consulted Behind the Name and learned that "Hayato" apparently meant "Falcon Person," which seemed appropriate for a Phantom Thief's name. And then I just went with "Watanabe" for the last name in honor of Cowboy Bebop. :shobon:
ENAMDICT lists no less than 48 different ways of writing the name "Hayato", all with their own meaning. If you like wanky symbolic names, boy is Japanese the language for you.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
beat the game.

I gotta say it felt like I was playing the best power rangers/super sentai rpg I never thought I wanted. I think it was the fact that they were given actual costumes this time. I didn't really notice too much of a color scheme, but then I looked at all of the color of their gloves (Joker=red, ryuji=yellow, yusuke=blue, futaba=green, Ann=pink, Haru=purple, makoto=white, Akechi=well his thief gloves are grey/white but his gloves in the regular world are black so whatever, also morgana=I dunno he's a cat) and that's what clinched it.

Like I know persona 4g had the featherman costumes and Yukari became a suit actor, but here it just feels so much more explicit. That last battle being such an explicitly wide scale thing with bystanders looking on, your max rank confidants cheering on and that loving poll going to 100% was really well done. Out of all the ways the story could ended, loving Satan saving Christmas was not one I would have predicted. definitely felt more consistent than p4's last fight.

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 24, 2017

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I'm starting to get real suspicious of this Adachi sounding guy.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Akechi is bae.

Adachi likes cabbages and is kinda a jerk.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

PunkBoy posted:

I think most reasonable adults can agree that The Spinoffs Aren't Canon

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I was first leery of Akechi right around the middle of the summer when I first notice the guy was doing TV interviews like every other day. Dude can't stay out of the spotlight for five minutes.

I do appreciate the game lets me :getout: to him every now and then.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think most reasonable adults can agree that The Spinoffs Aren't Canon

They are though. And thank god for that because Labrys is extremely cool.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

polish sausage posted:

beat the game.

I gotta say it felt like I was playing the best power rangers/super sentai rpg I never thought I wanted. I think it was the fact that they were given actual costumes this time. I didn't really notice too much of a color scheme, but then I looked at all of the color of their gloves (Joker=red, ryuji=yellow, yusuke=blue, futaba=green, Ann=pink, Haru=purple, makoto=white, Akechi=well his thief gloves are grey/white but his gloves in the regular world are black so whatever, also morgana=I dunno he's a cat) and that's what clinched it.

Like I know persona 4g had the featherman costumes and Yukari became a suit actor, but here it just feels so much more explicit. That last battle being such an explicitly wide scale thing with bystanders looking on, your max rank confidants cheering on and that loving poll going to 100% was really well done. Out of all the ways the story could ended, loving Satan saving Christmas was not one I would have predicted. definitely felt more consistent than p4's last fight.

Anything was better than P4's "Hey, you might have forgotten something."

Folks here seem divided on the entire end sequence but I just thought it was fabulous. Extremely heartwarming, yet ultimately bittersweet. The Thieves have to re-integrate themselves into normality and hope that they've inspired enough people to not be strung down by the chains that society unfortunately casts upon them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I knew I'd get my bingo sooner or later.

FractalSandwich posted:

Translation, spoilers, and canon: the three kleshas from which all suffering originates.