Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Man that moment after I think the first time yoy leave Kadara wjere everyone's quest comes off hold is the most jarring thing in the world I stopped playing for like a week after that.

I still have fun playing this game but whoo voy this game gas awful pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dexo posted:

Man that moment after I think the first time yoy leave Kadara wjere everyone's quest comes off hold is the most jarring thing in the world I stopped playing for like a week after that.

I still have fun playing this game but whoo voy this game gas awful pacing.

Not only that, but the game makes fun of you while doing it. There are two people's quests that come off hold the instant you leave Kadara and you have to forever live with "FAILED: Read Cora's email" and "FAILED: Read Vetra's email" because you accidentally played too much of the game.

It's especially "great" because I'm 99% sure that "FAILING" that step in either quest does nothing because I've done both those missions and neither time got a "you never texted me back" dialogue

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I take it back

game good

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So I currently have the PC version​ of the game. It's.......definitely a game with the Mass Effect name on it. I dig Grandpa Wrex and his interactions with other characters. Currently I'm stuck on the Vault in Kedara. I jumped for a ledge that was lower than the platform I was on and grabbed​ some loot.

The only problem now is I am struggling to cross back and there's that death water moat. I can make it across in a hop and jet boost I'm just having trouble finding a climbable surface to pull Ryder up on to. Is there a console command that will just give me extra health or allow me to just clip back to the other side??? I tried going back to an earlier save but it kept putting me back in the same place where I died. :smith: Previous manual save has me barely exploring Kadara's map ugh.

Edit:. Got successfully across instead of going to the right there there's a small ledge on the left you can make if you give yourself good momentum. From that small low ledge on the left you can make your way further left that has a saleable platform.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 24, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I actually find myself wishing there were more vaults in the game. ME:A controls, gameplay, and powers feel like it was designed specifically for dungeon-delving.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

I actually find myself wishing there were more vaults in the game. ME:A controls, gameplay, and powers feel like it was designed specifically for dungeon-delving.

I'd love more dungeons, but I wish they weren't all the same dungeon tileset with the same enemies, same encounter design, and very similar puzzles. It feels like the kiss of death that they're all so identical.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm bummed this game forced the patch on me so I never got to see it in its most hosed form.

I'm like 20 hours in an the game has been fine? It's just a bit less thrilling than ME 2/3 but still better combat and quality of life than ME1. If I go too long without action I can hop into the multiplayer and those are fun.

I played the whole original trilogy as femshep so I switched to male ryder this time, I feel like they should have let me romance Drack but I'll settle for Vetra.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I'm bummed this game forced the patch on me so I never got to see it in its most hosed form.

I'm like 20 hours in an the game has been fine? It's just a bit less thrilling than ME 2/3 but still better combat and quality of life than ME1. If I go too long without action I can hop into the multiplayer and those are fun.

I played the whole original trilogy as femshep so I switched to male ryder this time, I feel like they should have let me romance Drack but I'll settle for Vetra.

It's most hosed up was still pretty playable, except dying often meant rebooting the game, because a reload would often get stuck, and travelling was even more of a massive slog than it is now.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
The first thing I do on every planet is get the forward stations. That way you can fast travel between them and hitting the various nav points is way less of a slog.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Error 404 posted:

The first thing I do on every planet is get the forward stations. That way you can fast travel between them and hitting the various nav points is way less of a slog.

the first thing i do is try to gently caress everything that walks

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I was referring to the fact that you couldn't skip in solar system travel cutscenes before the patch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BrianWilly posted:

I think that can sum up my aforementioned complaints re:pacing and testing. You gotta give the player something exciting to do and ideally it should be really hard to find yourself in a place where you don't care that much about what you're doing. In ME2, if you started a mission, you knew you'd be getting some action, some quips, some one-liners, some [RIGHT HOOKS] maybe, you'd run through a cool little "dungeon" (slums of Omega, an apartment building in Illium) and shoot some stuff, and then you'd be done.

And to be completely fair, Horizon had the exact same problem, except that game has a world where getting lost and loving off the main story is fun in its own right because it's not bogged down by heavy and/or archaic RPG trappings. That's where they really should have gone with ME:A.

Make the power-switching the main draw and make getting a decent gun you can use the whole game easier (I actually think they tried to do the latter at the last minute, I can't think of any other reason you can straight up buy the Ultra Rare Crusader immediately upon starting the game, as while it's a "shotgun" it works at all ranges)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The Crusader was like that in ME3 too, and I think you got it at the start, although it might have been a pre-order bonus. The drawback is you don't get any additional benefit from being at charge range like you would with the Piranha. (I also think they've nerfed it to "very accurate" from "100% hitscan", at least judging by the infuriating power orb bosses.)

Speaking of which: gently caress those infuriating power orb bosses.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Finally got around to beating the game.

All things considered, I think I like it. Moving away from Shepard and the original crew was always going to be a bit of a difficult hill to climb for me, even though it was inevitable and necessary.

Yeah, it wasn't necessarily the best writing but it was perfectly serviceable for the most part, bad in a few, and great in others. I don't think it ever really peaked nearly as high as, say, Tuchanka in the original trilogy did. And there were some lows (though nothing as bad as The Endings). But there was nothing that offended me in how bad it was.

I'm interested to see where they go from here, because it reminds me a lot of ME1, and that led to ME2, which is one of my favorite games of all time.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I hosed 3 aliens and didn't get my trophy :saddowns:

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Android Blues posted:

I'd love more dungeons, but I wish they weren't all the same dungeon tileset with the same enemies, same encounter design, and very similar puzzles. It feels like the kiss of death that they're all so identical.

all that platforming sucked and I couldn't stand how ryder just simply reappears after falling in a ferrofluid death pit

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Making platforming errors an instant respawn is one of the few decisions that was definitely correct.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Finally got around to beating the game.

All things considered, I think I like it. Moving away from Shepard and the original crew was always going to be a bit of a difficult hill to climb for me, even though it was inevitable and necessary.

Yeah, it wasn't necessarily the best writing but it was perfectly serviceable for the most part, bad in a few, and great in others. I don't think it ever really peaked nearly as high as, say, Tuchanka in the original trilogy did. And there were some lows (though nothing as bad as The Endings). But there was nothing that offended me in how bad it was.

I just can't understand people finding it servicable when it's all so dull considering it's another galaxy. I guess people do like Voyager though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The vaults look great, but gradually you realize that nothing happens in the vaults and there is nothing contained within the vaults. You do a few puzzles, fight a few spawns, and there's some trash loot. Then there's a footrace. It's not a bad formula but it's got all the narrative content of a shopping trip.

And as Neddy Seagoon pointed out, nobody talks about or goes into the vaults. You turn them on and that's it.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 24, 2017

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Also the only music I remember after the prologue is the boss battle music nicking Zimmer's Batman horns

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

my only compl;aint is that Mass Effect 4 is just too good!!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Elotana posted:

Also the only music I remember after the prologue is the boss battle music nicking Zimmer's Batman horns

Which also sounds enough like a reaper honk to confuse you for a second if you're not paying attention.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I actually did like the vaguely arcane crafting system, and after the patch, inventory limits grew so large that it stopped being a concern, ever.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Taear posted:

I just can't understand people finding it servicable when it's all so dull considering it's another galaxy. I guess people do like Voyager though.

I think it's mostly that they've left enough mysteries that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt they'll work something interesting out of it.

I have a feeling they'll gently caress it all up, but it's unfair to hold hypothetical, but probable, fuckups against them. I cannot criticize until they have actually hosed it up.

That said, there still are a few issues I have with it, like "wait, if the Reapers weren't a-Reaping every 50k years (a very good explanation for Fermi's Paradox), why is there only one species here?" It's a problem I'm confident ME1-era BioWare would have a good solution for. Post-ME2 era BioWare, I'm not so sure of.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can't be bothered by things like that in much the same way it doesn't bother me that the Hawkmen in Flash Gordan speak English.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Brian Blessed speaks English.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Was that really Brian Blessed? How did I never know that?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Elotana posted:

Making platforming errors an instant respawn is one of the few decisions that was definitely correct.

What's the point if there aren't any lasting repercussions if you gently caress up? It just turns into pointless busywork.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

big time bisexual posted:

What's the point if there aren't any lasting repercussions if you gently caress up? It just turns into pointless busywork.

-a Bioware dev in a rare moment of clarity produced by reading this thread from his office workstation

COLT .45
Feb 22, 2008

It works EVERY time.

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think it's mostly that they've left enough mysteries that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt they'll work something interesting out of it.

I have a feeling they'll gently caress it all up, but it's unfair to hold hypothetical, but probable, fuckups against them. I cannot criticize until they have actually hosed it up.

That said, there still are a few issues I have with it, like "wait, if the Reapers weren't a-Reaping every 50k years (a very good explanation for Fermi's Paradox), why is there only one species here?" It's a problem I'm confident ME1-era BioWare would have a good solution for. Post-ME2 era BioWare, I'm not so sure of.

I initially wondered about this (and I'm still not sure Bioware aren't going to screw this up later), but If you're comparing Heleus to the galaxy as presented in the original trilogy it is technically a much smaller area of space. There are no mass relays here enabling such fast travel over long distances and there were only the proto-Remnant species (I won't drop spoilers here) and then the Angara.

The Kett were from outside the cluster and if you dig into the game's lore you'll find out there were a bunch of other Andromeda races that the Kett have been punking, but may be still around in some capacity?

For their part, the Angara have been a post-apocalyptic race since the Scourge, and even before the Kett showed up.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ineffiable posted:

Was this game really under development for five whole years? There's a big difference between actually coding and developing the game, and just building up ideas between other game projects.

All we really have is :speculate:, but this post on Reddit from April 2015 laid out the basics. Some of it has changed:
  • "Cora has the ability to deploy a biotic shield that protects everyone in the bubble while still allowing you and your squad to fire out of it"
  • [W]hen a Krogan colony ship has been stolen by one of the outlaw factions leaving the colonists stranded without resources to survive, your Krogan squad mate, Drack, is determined to strike out against them. If you take the mission and help him track down the outlaws’ hideout to return the ship to its rightful owners, Drack’s loyalty toward you and your squad will increase and Drack will unlock a brand new skill tree.
  • As you build permanent settlements, you will make strategic choices on where to focus your new base’s resources. For example: Recon Settlements will clear fog of war from the space map and give the player more strike team missions to choose from, while Mining Settlements will periodically supplement the player’s supply of crafting materials.
  • Transitions between activities, like flying your Tempest (space ship) across a solar system to land on a mineral rich planet, then jumping into your Mako (land vehicle) to explore the surface of planet, all happen smoothly without loading screens.
  • Discover new things in Andromeda Galaxy, like alien artifacts and natural wonders, that serve as trophies and decorations that you can use to modify the look of your character, Tempest (Space Ship) and Mako (land vehicle). Customize the way your squad and your character look with clothes and aesthetic modifications that you unlock throughout the game. Photos you take from the far reaches of the galaxy can be used to decorate your starship or sold to certain characters.
  • Fight your way out of the vault and you will be rewarded with valuable loot, including powerful gear, crafting resources and Star Keys that can be used to unlock massive orbital facilities in space that grant permanent stat bonuses.
  • Optional Elite Remnant Vault Raids are scattered around the Helius Cluster located in special orbital facilities that are unlocked by Star Keys.

So was that stuff that was cut for time? Or did development change focus earlier on? Hard to say, but it seems like signficant changes happened in the past two years.

Moola posted:

shut the gently caress up with this bullshit 'don't post if it's negative' crap lol

At least most of the people here have played the game and know when goons are bullshitting. exquisite tea frequently makes poo poo up that he thought he heard someone say.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 24, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FronzelNeekburm posted:

• "Cora has the ability to deploy a biotic shield that protects everyone in the bubble while still allowing you and your squad to fire out of it"
  • [W]hen a Krogan colony ship has been stolen by one of the outlaw factions leaving the colonists stranded without resources to survive, your Krogan squad mate, Drack, is determined to strike out against them. If you take the mission and help him track down the outlaws’ hideout to return the ship to its rightful owners, Drack’s loyalty toward you and your squad will increase and Drack will unlock a brand new skill tree.
  • As you build permanent settlements, you will make strategic choices on where to focus your new base’s resources. For example: Recon Settlements will clear fog of war from the space map and give the player more strike team missions to choose from, while Mining Settlements will periodically supplement the player’s supply of crafting materials.
  • Transitions between activities, like flying your Tempest (space ship) across a solar system to land on a mineral rich planet, then jumping into your Mako (land vehicle) to explore the surface of planet, all happen smoothly without loading screens.

1 should still be in the game, that sounds rad. Same with 2. I guess 3 is still kind of true. 4 is the kind of "technically true but secretly so much bullshit" that is horrible about PR.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

quote:

As you build permanent settlements, you will make strategic choices on where to focus your new base’s resources. For example: Recon Settlements will clear fog of war from the space map and give the player more strike team missions to choose from, while Mining Settlements will periodically supplement the player’s supply of crafting materials.
Yeah, this pretty clearly became "gently caress it let's reskin the Inquisitor perks menu" with the initial choice on Eos being a vestige of that abandoned system.

Also there were seven squadmates. Wonder who got cut?

EDIT:

quote:

Drive and upgrade your Mako (land vehicle):

Explore the surfaces of 100s of planets in the Helius Cluster in your versatile land vehicle, the Mako. Whether you are looking for a place to set up a colony, searching for a Remnant vault or attacking a Khet Outpost, you will enjoy getting there in your Mako. Equip and upgrade your Mako in dozens of ways, like adding turbo boosters, upgrading your shield generator or adding a Hostile Detector to your radar to create the ultimate planetary exploration vehicle.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 24, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I could have sworn at some point they were talking about a Salarian squadmate.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

precision posted:

I could have sworn at some point they were talking about a Salarian squadmate.

Yeah, it was sorta-kinda confirmed -- assuming it wasn't a renegade Kett or whatever.

EuroGamer posted:

Mac, I remember you speaking to Game Informer and mentioning a squadmate that was cut in development. From the races represented I'm going to make an educated guess and say they were salarian. Can you say anything more about why he didn't make it and if we might ever see him again?

Mac Walters: You know game development is a constant series of decisions - there's always going to be some scope reductions. Because we decided to do loyalty missions that meant every squad member had their own special mission plus a significant amount of relationship dialogue. Ultimately, the only reason we chose to cut was because of that. It wasn't that we didn't like the character - I believe at the time it was just which ones were furthest along. As for whether we'd see them again in the future - it is possible. I think a lot of people like the idea for the character. But you never know - sometimes what we do is instead of coming back to it in the game he'll come back in a book or comic or something like that.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

FronzelNeekburm posted:

[*]Transitions between activities, like flying your Tempest (space ship) across a solar system to land on a mineral rich planet, then jumping into your Mako (land vehicle) to explore the surface of planet, all happen smoothly without loading screens.

:laffo: quite the difference from what was shipped

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

JawKnee posted:

:laffo: quite the difference from what was shipped

Bro there are no loading screens there are transitional cinematics

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Loading Cinematics

Like load bearing drywall

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

FronzelNeekburm posted:

All we really have is :speculate:, but this post on Reddit from April 2015 laid out the basics. Some of it has changed:

Thanks for posting this, forgot about it between the announcement and release.

Looking over that list... eeesh. A line item or two is understandable, a hub isn't uncommon, but this reads more like MMO development (which makes sense w/r/t the finalized atmosphere and systems). Curious how long it'll take Bioware to shed the Inquisition style of development, like how many current/future projects are irreparably hosed as a result. Hopefully none! But realistically 1 or 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I remember being there another thing that came from Reddit, earlier in the development process, I think, where they talked about the Remnant being silver and blue as opposed to the black and green they ended up being.