Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

Oh dang. Where is across the world exactly? As I am already thereabouts but would totally be interested in books.

Vietnam. SE Asia mail is supposed to be spotty at best, thus I'm wanting to get rid of them now as opposed to later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Also what's that ww2 tank rule set that people say is great except for the tracking of the ammo?

Tanks! is super shallow and I doubt it will be developed more. But it is an east way to get single 15mm models if you're into that.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 23, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You're probably thinking of Battlegroup. There's a number of theaters represented using the system, and a great Meeples & Miniseries interview with Thomas Kinrade. It started life as Kampfgruppe Normandie, and was notably the final Warhammer Historical.

And I found out BKC3 starts shipping Monday if you order from pendraken. So i did!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

moths posted:

I actually signed up to play BKC3 at Fall-In last year, since the book was expected to be completed by then. It ended up being v2 because of the delay, but I still had fun and enjoyed the system. So I'll be picking up 3 as soon as I can.

Is that soon?

Yes. You can order it from Pendraken today.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
WAIT A MINUTE. Is Blitzkrieg Commander related to Cold War Commander?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
And Future War Commander, yes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Springfield Fatts posted:

Vietnam. SE Asia mail is supposed to be spotty at best, thus I'm wanting to get rid of them now as opposed to later.
Ouch. That's the other other side of the world from me. I was having mad dreams of another historicals gamer ending up here.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I started working on basing the samurai army that has been sitting in boxes for years now. I'm using 60x40mm bases, aiming at using them for Field of Glory.

I managed some 17 bases before I ran out of the orange flowers that I'm planning to use to tie the army together aesthetically. So now I'm waiting to get a new shipment from the UK, but at least I'm pretty happy with how they look this far. I'll try to take some better pics later.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

JcDent posted:

WAIT A MINUTE. Is Blitzkrieg Commander related to Cold War Commander?

Same author. It's better than CWC mainly due to the fact that it was on second edition (well third now) and has improved on the core rules.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Latest editions of blah blah commander will have a different author as the rules were sold to Pendraken.

There was a big storm on their forums a couple of years ago when the guy who runs Pendraken said he was going to remove units Pendraken didn't make because why should he do rules for his competitors models?

Someone pointed out changing historical OOBs due to what products they sold might not be a great idea.

Though battlefront seem to have fully committed to that approach with Flames version 4. I can't believe how little there is in their latest books.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

I started working on basing the samurai army that has been sitting in boxes for years now. I'm using 60x40mm bases, aiming at using them for Field of Glory.

I managed some 17 bases before I ran out of the orange flowers that I'm planning to use to tie the army together aesthetically. So now I'm waiting to get a new shipment from the UK, but at least I'm pretty happy with how they look this far. I'll try to take some better pics later.

These look dope as hell, what scale?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Class Warcraft posted:

These look dope as hell, what scale?

Thanks, they are 28mm. These are all Perrys but the army is a mix of various manufacturers.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

There was a big storm on their forums a couple of years ago when the guy who runs Pendraken said he was going to remove units Pendraken didn't make because why should he do rules for his competitors models?

Did he twirl his evil mustache while doing it? This is GW levels of bullshit, especially when coming from a God-damned historicals manufacturer.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

JcDent posted:

Did he twirl his evil mustache while doing it? This is GW levels of bullshit, especially when coming from a God-damned historicals manufacturer.

It got pointed out quick what bullshit that was.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Thundercloud posted:

Though battlefront seem to have fully committed to that approach with Flames version 4. I can't believe how little there is in their latest books.

It's okay! Everything comes on Cards(tm)*!

*cards sold seperately

Honestly I'm losing faith in BF. Version 4 is swiss-cheese as far as cohesive rulesets go and it's blatantly obvious they're milking people with cards and the "we're giving you literally one division" in the hardback, and a bunch of changes seem primarily designed to lower SKU and make you buy more stuff (airplanes now come in flights of 2-3 when that was a great change in V2).

Meanwhile, Team Yankee seems to be inheriting all the lovely "the soviets never had anything nice and the west was always better" ethos they treated the eastern front with in WW2. Soviets aren't getting ERA, apparently, because it wasn't fitted in 1985 (I cannot find evidence to suggest ERA didn't exist by 84-85 anywhere), and they're not getting the T-80U because even while it was in (slow) production in Kharkov by 85, it wasn't mass produced at Omsk. Nevermind these things serve gameplay purposes as much as anything.

Meanwhile, the UK gets the MCT, because it's cool, even though it wasn't finished until 86, and the Sgt. York keeps being teased even though it didn't work.

There's never going to be 4+ tohit or 3+ skill warpac, because that's just how they were trained, while west germany (also conscript) get 3+ skill and 4+ to hit.

They just seem to be trying hard to piss me off at this point.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

It's gameist approach vs. simulationist. If it was more simulationist, you might find out that the differences between Freedom Tank and Communism Tank might not have been that big.

Freedom is Small And Strok, Communism is Big And Stupid seems to be BF approach in all games, including Fate of a Nation and Vietnam. The only reason why you don't have it in WWI is because it's the Western Front.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

spectralent posted:

It's okay! Everything comes on Cards(tm)*!

*cards sold seperately

Honestly I'm losing faith in BF. Version 4 is swiss-cheese as far as cohesive rulesets go and it's blatantly obvious they're milking people with cards and the "we're giving you literally one division" in the hardback, and a bunch of changes seem primarily designed to lower SKU and make you buy more stuff (airplanes now come in flights of 2-3 when that was a great change in V2).

Meanwhile, Team Yankee seems to be inheriting all the lovely "the soviets never had anything nice and the west was always better" ethos they treated the eastern front with in WW2. Soviets aren't getting ERA, apparently, because it wasn't fitted in 1985 (I cannot find evidence to suggest ERA didn't exist by 84-85 anywhere), and they're not getting the T-80U because even while it was in (slow) production in Kharkov by 85, it wasn't mass produced at Omsk. Nevermind these things serve gameplay purposes as much as anything.

Meanwhile, the UK gets the MCT, because it's cool, even though it wasn't finished until 86, and the Sgt. York keeps being teased even though it didn't work.

There's never going to be 4+ tohit or 3+ skill warpac, because that's just how they were trained, while west germany (also conscript) get 3+ skill and 4+ to hit.

They just seem to be trying hard to piss me off at this point.

meanwhile the USA gets the M1 which was in Europe beginning in 1987 but we Soviet players don't even get a loving T-80B

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

spectralent posted:

hahaha wow bf is loving dumb

quick google got me this

quote:

After the demonstration of ERA in Lebannon, Russian planners deployed their own Kontakt EDZ armour starting with the T-80BV in 1983. Kontakt EDZ was not a copy of Israeli Blazer ERA. Kontakt was developed by the Soviets cocurrently with Rafael's developments, but was not initially fielded because of concerns over safety.

quote:

The development of Kontakt EDZ logically led to the development of a later version, called Kontakt-5, which was optimized to be effective not only against HEAT jets, but also APFSDS long rods. It was first deployed around 1985 on the first T-80Us.

:rolleye:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Battlefront seems diametrically opposed to making their Soviet units anything but Enemy at the Gates-style hordes, and it's one of my biggest frustrations with the company.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Team Yankee is in a fictionalized (Western masturbatory) Cold War fantasy setting, so I'm willing to forgive it more than their cinematic WW2 setting.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Phi230 posted:

meanwhile the USA gets the M1 which was in Europe beginning in 1987 but we Soviet players don't even get a loving T-80B

Wait, really? They started making them from 1980, did it really take 7 years to base some in Europe?

moths posted:

The Team Yankee is in a fictionalized (Western masturbatory) Cold War fantasy setting, so I'm willing to forgive it more than their cinematic WW2 setting.

Yeah, but, like... Why make a mook faction? Nobody wants to be the background characters.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Well I picked up the El Alamein set for Flames of War. The tanks were a really nice surprise, they are very nice kits.

I also picked up some Zvezda kits, and the quality has massively improved in the last few years. The Matilda and Stuart are so much better than the Panzer II.

Unboxing is here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zockad3SMVM

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Matilda is actually pretty old. I've had them for years just floating around in various armies. Haven't spotted the Stuart around yet, but I haven't been into the nerd shop that stocks Zvezda since maybe Christmas or so.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

The Matilda is actually pretty old. I've had them for years just floating around in various armies. Haven't spotted the Stuart around yet, but I haven't been into the nerd shop that stocks Zvezda since maybe Christmas or so.

Yeah. The quality difference between the original sets (Pz II, III, IV) and the newer stuff (Desert War onwards) is very sharp. I like the Zveda stuff, I just need to get hold of a Grant to compare it to the Battlefront one. Certainly the Battlefront stuff has lots of small pieces.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I've never been hugely upset with my earlier stuff; the Pz IV is alright, as is the T-26, T-35, and T-34. The detail's a little softer compared to equivalents like PSC but I've not found that too much of an issue after they're painted. Just needs a bit more care with highlights.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

The Battlefront Grant is a beautiful kit, and it includes the parts to do the Lee as well though it doesn't tell you that in the instructions. Which are worse than the Zvezda instructions because there are more small parts that need to be put together.

If you like watching someone fumble around building one I've done so here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E-du2aAa18.

I'm quite liking doing these videos.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Thundercloud posted:

Yeah. The quality difference between the original sets (Pz II, III, IV) and the newer stuff (Desert War onwards) is very sharp. I like the Zveda stuff, I just need to get hold of a Grant to compare it to the Battlefront one. Certainly the Battlefront stuff has lots of small pieces.

I wish Zvezda would update all their old kits. The 1:35th T-34 is loving ancient and awful, but seeing how long it took Tamiya to get off their 70s moulds, Zvezda won't do it for a while.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Nice!

Also, the sprues and options for the PSC T-55:

http://mailchi.mp/theplasticsoldiercompany/15mm-t55am2b-pre-order-deal-coming-to-end?e=72ad1bad00

Looks pretty nice even if TY is turning into trash.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

spectralent posted:

Nice!

Also, the sprues and options for the PSC T-55:

http://mailchi.mp/theplasticsoldiercompany/15mm-t55am2b-pre-order-deal-coming-to-end?e=72ad1bad00

Looks pretty nice even if TY is turning into trash.

Looks really nice. And if TY is poo poo there is always Cold War Commander or Force on Force or other modern rules sets.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I hadn't actually read the book TY is based on before but... man. This isn't very good.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Are the Saga dice and battleboards needed to play?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Geisladisk posted:

You could probably abstract the dice, but the battleboards tell you what the dice actually do. I suppose you could have some copy of them, though.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

We bought blank dice and just drew the symbols ourselves, way cheaper.

The boards come with the rulebooks though so assuming you're not pirating that they come with.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

spectralent posted:

I hadn't actually read the book TY is based on before but... man. This isn't very good.

The premise struck me as ok, but it did give off some serious John Ringo vibes.

9/11 and America's lack of a functional mental health system really broke that guy.

It's a fictionalised gung ho American point of view. You just have to take it with a huge pinch of salt.

Battlefront obviously having favourite factions, to the point of being historically inaccurate, is a big problem with their games.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, the fact they dressed up in German uniforms for the 'how-to' videos for Version 3 probably should have been a giveaway.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

no and yes. the rulebook tells you how to use regular d6s instead. the battleboards are absolutely necessary as they give you access to your unit activations and faction specific abilities

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Played my first Bolt Action. I lost! But stubborn veterans are the way to go for a retard like me, since they're hard to kill and shift.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

JcDent posted:

Played my first Bolt Action. I lost! But stubborn veterans are the way to go for a retard like me, since they're hard to kill and shift.

What was your list / era etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Does anyone have recommendations for a good ultramodern air combat game? The Strike Commandering LP is giving me a hankering for jet fights.