Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Honestly the whole meme of Persona 3 being bad is kind of annoying. Like, yeah, it has a lot of problems and does a ton of things way worse than the games that came after it, but overall it's a pretty good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Persona 5 rules. I am playing P4G right now and it rules. I haven't played P3 since P3P came out but I'm pretty sure I remember it ruling.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

darealkooky posted:

they eventally made the P3 we know and love

whoa hey let's not speak for everyone here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

the third years being in SEES for a while now and shinji killing kens mom is like, a super big deal that defines the character arcs and personalities of half your party and thats given maybe 4 lines hinting at what that was actually like
yeah, i dont think those plot elements need more than that. maybe some more scenes of shinji and mitsuru interacting in the present but we dont need a big flashback to what the third years were like in their early days. that'd be lame. i like that i can infer things about akihiko and shinji's relationship from the awkward conversations they have when akihiko tries to get shinji back in the fold. that's good, interesting writing. it gets me thinking about what the characters are like and what they might have been like in their early days.

and all you need to know about ken's mom is that shinji accidentally killed her and both shinji and ken are wracked with guilt and anger about it. if that was in p4 or p5 we'd get an entire dungeon with 'ken is sad + mad' written on the walls in sharpie.

not saying that arc is perfectly executed but those are like, the parts of it that actually work. characters don't need to directly talk about a thing for you to be able to understand how it affected them. like if you're writing a modern day drama and you have a military veteran character you don't need to have constant flashbacks to iraq and have him constantly say 'the war hosed me up,' you can just establish that he's a vet and then have him be kinda cold and distant and have a weird temper. the audience will get it, and it allows them to think about what might have happened during his service to cause him to act that way. which is more interesting than being told what happened.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 24, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Saagonsa posted:

Honestly the whole meme of Persona 3 being bad is kind of annoying. Like, yeah, it has a lot of problems and does a ton of things way worse than the games that came after it, but overall it's a pretty good game.

I like the idea of Persona 3 more than the actual game itself.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Endorph posted:

not saying that arc is perfectly executed but those are like, the parts of it that actually work.

I'm not saying that implying things is bad by any means, but given that the same people that made P3 largely made P4 and P5, as well as P3's rough development history and large amount of expanded universe material, make it seem p clear that the P4/5 method of telling you everything in big detail was always on the menu, they just couldn't fit that into the actual game of P3 (for better or worse)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I bounced off FES to the point that I wasn't expecting to like P5 nearly as much as I am. Kind of orthogonal to this since that was entirely due to systems and mechanics though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, I'm sure some part of it was, but part of it's also just that P3 was a big hit and they needed more things to do with it, and so explaining stuff is an easy way to justify a sequel/spinoff/nokia phone game. and there were writing shifts in P4 beyond just explaining things more, so I don't think it's fair to act like P3 would have been written exactly like P4 if given the time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like where that arc doesn't work and completely falls apart for me is that Shinji (to a lesser degree) and Ken (to a far greater degree) aren't around enough for me to give a poo poo about what happens to either of them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't believe Persona 3 is Endorph's favorite game, wow

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like where that arc doesn't work and completely falls apart for me is that Shinji (to a lesser degree) and Ken (to a far greater degree) aren't around enough for me to give a poo poo about what happens to either of them.
Yeah. that part is very fair. It's at least easier to care about them in FEMC route where they're both S. Links, but it still doesn't completely solve the problem.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

have you considered shinjiro can use a bus stop sign as a weapon, and thus you should care about him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

I can't believe Persona 3 is Endorph's favorite game, wow
it's my 94th favorite game of all time, above lightning returns but below tales of eternia.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

darealkooky posted:

I'm not saying that implying things is bad by any means, but given that the same people that made P3 largely made P4 and P5, as well as P3's rough development history and large amount of expanded universe material, make it seem p clear that the P4/5 method of telling you everything in big detail was always on the menu, they just couldn't fit that into the actual game of P3 (for better or worse)

Persona 5 is a game where (post dungeon 6 spoilers)the villains monologue their entire scheme at each other for no reason whatsoever, so... yeah. Their later choices haven't always been good.

Endorph posted:

Yeah. that part is very fair. It's at least easier to care about them in FEMC route where they're both S. Links, but it still doesn't completely solve the problem.

Over a decade of remakes and spin-offs later, I still don't give a poo poo about Ken.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 24, 2017

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Persona 5 rules. I am playing P4G right now and it rules. I haven't played P3 since P3P came out but I'm pretty sure I remember it ruling.

Hey, I'm doing the same thing as well, starting up a P4G years after playing through the original. Forgot how big of a sadsack in the early game Nanako are.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
why does soejima draw people with really long necks? it's really noticeable when the characters don't have their necks covered.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
I thought i had an extra day of social linking, now ryuiji's stuck at level 9.999999999 and ready to pop. :smith:

The second half of palace 7 ruled and was probably the most fun i had with the dungeon stuff since the first.

Honestly feeling like i might instantly jump into ng+, because I definitely don't want to not finish the social links I didn't this time around. Even Ohya and Gun Kid.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Persona 3, don't the evokers fire Nyx's feathers or something? Or am I making that up?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

RME posted:

have you considered shinjiro can use a bus stop sign as a weapon, and thus you should care about him

i care for him

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Say what you will about shinjiro, but he did kill the last boss of persona q in 2 turns with hasso tobi so I feel we all owe him our gratitude

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Post palace 6 spoilers

GOROOOOO! Actually I kinda sorta expected that to happen. I wasn't really expecting him to go full Adachi though, that was great.

I'm really gonna miss palace 6, it was pretty neat between the music and general setting. The boss was annoying but I actually kinda enjoyed it.

I also started dating best girl Makoto, but she lost her awesome bike persona in the process. :(

edit: going into palace 7 I have Sun at rank 7, can I ever get those last 3 ranks in this same game file?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm a little doubtful you can max out Sun by then since election season's coming up, but I don't know exactly when the link becomes unavailable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm a little doubtful you can max out Sun by then since election season's coming up, but I don't know exactly when the link becomes unavailable.

I THINK it's somethink like 12/12? I know he tells you the middle of the month is the cutoff.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm at 11/21 so there might be a chance!

Still need to work on Futaba/Haru since i've been neglecting them like an rear end in a top hat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm quite certain I read that Sun becomes unavailable around November so I think your dream is dead.
A quick google suggests his window is over when the big poo poo goes down in November.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Futaba has a very powerful goon cave. I'd almost forgotten.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm quite certain I read that Sun becomes unavailable around November so I think your dream is dead.
A quick google suggests his window is over when the big poo poo goes down in November.

Welp.

NG+ it is, then.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

is there any boss in the persona games that has a (possibly minuscule) nonzero chance to get hit by an instant kill hama/mudo spell? some of them are explicitly immune but others just show "missed" or whatever

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maya Fey posted:

is there any boss in the persona games that has a (possibly minuscule) nonzero chance to get hit by an instant kill hama/mudo spell? some of them are explicitly immune but others just show "missed" or whatever

No, but you can make your own fun using a Persona that has Phys Repel with some bosses.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Two days ago I was playing and got Mudo'd four times in a row and lost my whole party to a bunch of drat vegetables. The odds of that happening seem so low.

Stat update: Just started the third palace, Charm/Proficiency/Guts are at level 3, everything else is 2 except kindness which is still at 1. What things should I be doing to improve them at this point, and which stats are important for the kind of things I'm doing?

Currently all I'm doing is the burger challenge and trying to romance the doctor, and I'm still trying to increase guts to take the package back to the gun store owner.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Buy plant nutrients from flower stores and give them to the plant in your room for a free kindness increase. The more expensive nutrients give more kindness. You can do this every few days, I think 10 or so?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

16, according to the gfaqs guide.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
What do end-game builds for your buddies look like? I'm starting to hit ultimate personas on them, and this is essentially my first proper Persona game so I'm unsure what good builds look like. It's been straight upgrades on skills so far. Every passive I've seen has been pretty useful and I assume taking the dodge weakness skills from each ultimate is worth doing.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Tower and Hierophant also give you kindness points when you rank them up, and there are a decent number of films that give you kindness too. The Nostalgic Steak at the diner gives you a bit of kindness alongside the usual knowledge boost from studying, and if all else fails you can always work at the flower shop for a bit of kindness too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Opposing Farce posted:

Tower and Hierophant also give you kindness points when you rank them up, and there are a decent number of films that give you kindness too. The Nostalgic Steak at the diner gives you a bit of kindness alongside the usual knowledge boost from studying, and if all else fails you can always work at the flower shop for a bit of kindness too.

I would like to see a few more ways to grind Kindness in a FES/Golden Edition, because it feels (at least to me) that there are fewer options than the other stats.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Deleter posted:

What do end-game builds for your buddies look like? I'm starting to hit ultimate personas on them, and this is essentially my first proper Persona game so I'm unsure what good builds look like. It's been straight upgrades on skills so far. Every passive I've seen has been pretty useful and I assume taking the dodge weakness skills from each ultimate is worth doing.

focus haru on gun

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Don't bother with Ann's severe fire spell if it's gonna take a space from something else you like. The SP cost isn't remotely worth it.

E: Same with Makoto's giga-nuke tbh. A boosted + amped (and in Ann's case concentrated) Dyne is 85~% of the damage for a quarter of the SP cost.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I would like to see a few more ways to grind Kindness in a FES/Golden Edition, because it feels (at least to me) that there are fewer options than the other stats.

kindness was the only stat i had no issue with because i always made sure to feed my houseplant with the best nutirents

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Kindness can be raised by:

• Books
  • Tower
  • Hierophant
  • Taking care of your plant (free)
  • Steak at the diner
  • Flower shop job (day and night)

That's a pretty solid spread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Kindness isn't too bad because you can work at the flower shop twice in one day.

It's Proficiency that I thought was a bitch.