Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Tae posted:

I think, because it's brought up all the time, the Thunder had a legit option to keep all four by stretching or amnestying Perkins.

Right, people try to frame it as "they had to choose between Ibaka and Harden!" But they actually could have kept both if the owner wasn't too cheap to use the amnesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Tae posted:

I think, because it's brought up all the time, the Thunder had a legit option to keep all four by stretching or amnestying Perkins.

And honestly people bring up the repeater tax but they had just been to an NBA finals with that core and there was no reason to expect at that time that they wouldn't be returning. You go deep into the luxury tax to keep that core together and then if it underperforms you blow it up. You don't send away your key third option/backup point guard for peanuts. I'm talking to you, 2005 Phoenix Suns

Doltos posted:

I think basketball is one of those unique sports where you can sort of tell when someone has the look real early on. Rose's year in Memphis was a joke when NBA scouts attend every game at Simeon anyway. NCAA is useless but gently caress it let people have the Americana of university sports.

Eh. Looking at, say, Russell Westbrook in college you'd have no idea he'd turn out like this. You also would have thought Michael Beasley would be an unstoppable force and Anthony Davis would be a defensive juggernaut

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i bet steven adams says "NASA" in a really cool and interesting way

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

You also would have thought Michael Beasley would be an unstoppable force

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZHiT-6CeBM&t=40s

They were right?!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/gluckstadt/status/856322830631399424
(click on it, its amazing)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Super Cool Beas was trending towards becoming a rotation player and probably would have been fine had he not gotten arrested 8 billion times for pot possession and broken his foot

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
"In sports you have restrictions" is the most kobe rear end kobe statement to ever be made.

I need a video of this.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

wow I didn't think I could love Kobe more than I already did

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

You missed the best one

https://twitter.com/gluckstadt/status/856323687481573376

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Declan MacManus posted:

Eh. Looking at, say, Russell Westbrook in college you'd have no idea he'd turn out like this. You also would have thought Michael Beasley would be an unstoppable force and Anthony Davis would be a defensive juggernaut

Is the argument that the NCAA lets players blossom or that you could just get rid of it and let players sign straight out of HS and blossom in the D-league instead?

I still think NCAA athletes get such a huge boost over professional straight from HS athletes. The odds of making it in the NBA are slim to none and even if you make it your career is probably ending in your mid 30s. Free or partially paid for college with all the benefits of being an alum would sure as hell beat out getting sent to a basketball mill like how soccer clubs treat their prospects.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Doltos posted:

Is the argument that the NCAA lets players blossom or that you could just get rid of it and let players sign straight out of HS and blossom in the D-league instead?

I still think NCAA athletes get such a huge boost over professional straight from HS athletes. The odds of making it in the NBA are slim to none and even if you make it your career is probably ending in your mid 30s. Free or partially paid for college with all the benefits of being an alum would sure as hell beat out getting sent to a basketball mill like how soccer clubs treat their prospects.

Euro basketball mills worked out well for some of the best players in this century. I imagine American ones could be better operated with better talent. If they couldn't make it in the NBA, they'd probably be a good pipeline to playing in foreign leagues.

It's way better for future American pro soccer players to go to Euro soccer mills than NCAA soccer. (Though some of the stories I've read on Euro soccer youth systems are terrible and the system would have to be improved, not replicated.)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 24, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
edit: can someone find me clips of Isolation Joseph scoring 200 points in the 4th

Hand Knit posted:

That's nice and all, but ironic slurs will be dealt with in the same way as non-ironic slurs.

They'll be deleted and moved to the gas chamber? Or is that forum renamed? I don't understand the new rules. Is it now wrong to point out that Adam Silver's people must be wiped from the earth if good citizens wish to ever walk safely at night?

cause I'm a member of FVK and I will smoke weed on any big-shot commissioner's grave, but I wouldn't want people thinking I'm doing it just because he's chosen a religion that requires blood sacrifices to Mammon (although, as I said before, I am opposed to the NCAA)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
That Adams miss into Westbrook deep three was so cool, I wish they'd won the game off that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Holy poo poo, Dunk King is coming back

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Rockets bitch

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Glumslinger posted:

Holy poo poo, Dunk King is coming back

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Ah, another chance for jordan kilganon to get robbed

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Doltos posted:

It would make more sense to let them develop in the D-League (NBA rules and spacing along with more physically developed competition) and high school grads do have the option of joining the D-League for a year after they graduate (which is way way worse than living as a star college athlete). But what I'm saying is the NCAA isn't a reliable gauge or incubator of talent and as such shouldn't really factor into the NBA's evaluation process.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

EvanTH posted:

edit: can someone find me clips of Isolation Joseph scoring 200 points in the 4th

Consecutive offensive possessions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZKpQMwMrj4

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I still believe the 2010 bulls could've won the nba finals if the hawks didnt give iso joe the maxy max at that time.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Carlosologist posted:

wow I didn't think I could love Kobe more than I already did
lost it when he compared allen iverson to a seal

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Declan MacManus posted:

It would make more sense to let them develop in the D-League (NBA rules and spacing along with more physically developed competition) and high school grads do have the option of joining the D-League for a year after they graduate (which is way way worse than living as a star college athlete). But what I'm saying is the NCAA isn't a reliable gauge or incubator of talent and as such shouldn't really factor into the NBA's evaluation process.

I think the NCAA incubates plenty of talent we just don't care about it. All the Mike Muscalas of the world.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Or both.

Hey superstar talent you are clearly good enough to go to the league. Welcome aboard.

Hey marginal high school talent.you arent good enough now to go straight to the league go to college and play. To get better.

Baseball's system is perfrct imo

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I think the kids get lucky to have at least a year of college experience. A year of college is REALLY helpful in the future

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Mr. F! posted:

I think the kids get lucky to have at least a year of college experience. A year of college is REALLY helpful in the future

Not really, they stop attending classes after the 1st semester since punishment for the 2nd semester would come after the season.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/SBondyNYDN/status/420402844626591744

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NCAA is the worst because it's inflicted duke on the world.

Real talk, they should at least pay the players. On phone though.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Ah, another chance for jordan kilganon to get robbed
I legit cannot loving wait for Return of the Dunk King

I'm :allears: to see how they try to top how ridiculous all the backstories and other poo poo was last yera

Also friendly reminder Guy Dupuy is a fraud

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dexo posted:

Or both.

Hey superstar talent you are clearly good enough to go to the league. Welcome aboard.

Hey marginal high school talent.you arent good enough now to go straight to the league go to college and play. To get better.

Baseball's system is perfrct imo
The only thing I'd change about baseball's system is to make it so you can declare after high school or two years of college. IIRC it's high school or three years of college right now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EvanTH posted:

This comes up a lot--shooting a free throw in a game is NOTHING like shooting in practice. It's really tough to simulate being pulled out of a game immediately after taking a foul and taking shots with everyone staring at you. You can't practice that every night. Even the terrible free throw shooters shoot like 90% when they're alone in a gym taking one after another.

Oh, huh. That's interesting. Never knew that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

You can always go to college later in life. There's a limited amount of time you can get paid to play basketball. It could be severely limited if you get hurt playing college ball for free too.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

I didn't know it until last night, but I need a Joe Johnson/Joe Ingles championship run in my life.

edit:

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/856359575708196865

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 24, 2017

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have so much Australian pride in Joe Ingles. I used to see him around the place when I played a rec in South Melbourne.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

PostNouveau posted:

Oh, huh. That's interesting. Never knew that.

It is, but I kind of think it just illustrates that we don't know how to coach FTs properly, rather than they can't be coached.

It seems kind of comparable to soccer and rugby penalties, where the teams who are good at it tend to practice the actual technique while acknowledging that it's different under pressure, and then also coach on the psychological approach, making sure that you're controlling yourself and are in the right state of mind to repeat your mechanics.

Also similar to Steve Kerr (I think) who'd practise spot duty 3s by sitting chatting to his shooting coach for five minutes, then sprinting to a spot on the floor and taking a three.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

EoinCannon posted:

I have so much Australian pride in Joe Ingles. I used to see him around the place when I played a rec in South Melbourne.

Joe Ingles is the schlubbiest NBA player I've ever seen.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Russ is suffering from PTSD lol

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EoinCannon posted:

Funny you say that because he is the YMCA player in the NBA right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

tarbrush posted:

It is, but I kind of think it just illustrates that we don't know how to coach FTs properly, rather than they can't be coached.

It seems kind of comparable to soccer and rugby penalties, where the teams who are good at it tend to practice the actual technique while acknowledging that it's different under pressure, and then also coach on the psychological approach, making sure that you're controlling yourself and are in the right state of mind to repeat your mechanics.

Also similar to Steve Kerr (I think) who'd practise spot duty 3s by sitting chatting to his shooting coach for five minutes, then sprinting to a spot on the floor and taking a three.
In addition to the millions he shot in practice, Dwight Howard has also practiced free throws in game situations, in that he's taken nearly 10000 in the regular season and playoffs.

• Locked thread