Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

if the purpose of calexit (which, once it gets a vote, will be completely and utterly shut down by the voters, especially native californians) is to split California off, then wouldn't it make more sense to stick around to make sure it happens and then (continuing the delusional mindset) transform California to your will?

I can't wait to see these measures fail at the polls so that we can pollute the ballot with funnier measures like limiting the number of starbucks in a square mile with respect to population density and changing the state flag to have a black bear or a sea lion.

Or even better, splitting California itself :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007
Oh man, sea lion flag is an excellent idea.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

birds posted:

Going home next month and want to spend a couple days at Yosemite. Coming up from Orange County, are there any good places to stay near the park for relatively cheap? The place I stayed last time was a mediocre hotel in Oakhurst that is going for $260 a night right now.
You are pretty hosed bro. On top of having to make reservations really far in advance, the insanely wet winter we have had has done a number on the park (the Hwy 120 entrance is currently closed). Later in the season, the go to spot is Tuolumne Meadows. Best of luck.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yosemite had the first protections through the Yosemite Act of 1864. But yeah technically Yellowstone had the first actual National Park designation. Bleh. I forgot the details.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Isurion posted:

Oh man, sea lion flag is an excellent idea.

*Fremont's ghost sheds a single tear*

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Yesterday I learned Lake Merritt was the country's first wildlife refuge.

I miss it. :(

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

North Korea is committed to urban renewal in San Francisco.

http://m.sfgate.com/world/article/North-Korea-nukes-SF-in-birthday-party-video-11083927.php

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Yosemite had the first protections through the Yosemite Act of 1864. But yeah technically Yellowstone had the first actual National Park designation. Bleh. I forgot the details.

Yep. Yosemite still the first state park though, and it's very easy to argue there would be no National Park system without it. Also I'm basically in park ranger college so I'm filled with useless bullshit like this.

Also put me down as pro sea lion flag.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If we're going with sea creatures the sea lion is OK but we also have sea otters, elephant seals, grey & humpback whales, and... yeah, we got great whites. Plus this is where JAWS was made so...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just a concept. Shark probably should be colored. Image of shark stolen from some online drawing for a coloring book.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If we are going to redesign the flag, can we do away with the text? It looks pretty bad when looking at the flag from the wrong side.

Actually, it looks a little like Cyrillic... maybe that is appropriate with the calexit stuff.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CopperHound posted:

If we are going to redesign the flag, can we do away with the text? It looks pretty bad when looking at the flag from the wrong side.

Actually, it looks a little like Cyrillic... maybe that is appropriate with the calexit stuff.

The reason it is there is to remind Texas they aren't as unique as they think they are.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If they're gonna redesign the flag let's make it the New California Republic flag with the 2-headed bear. The nukes are coming anyway.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I am considering moving to the state and wondering what cities you guys would say is a good to look at? People have been recommending me Sacramento.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

San Francisco is better than Los Angeles, but Los Angeles is more affordable. Who cares about anywhere else QTIYD

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I am considering moving to the state and wondering what cities you guys would say is a good to look at? People have been recommending me Sacramento.

What do you do for a living, and how wealthy are you?

Do you prefer conservative or liberal politics?

Do you like surfing or skiing or both?

What has attracted you to CA?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

punk rebel ecks posted:

Do you want to work for the government?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How much time are you willing to spend in your car?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

What do you do for a living, and how wealthy are you?
I'm sort of freshly out of university and have a generic degree. My wage is above the average American. High $30k/Low$40k, but that's in Midwest salary. FWIW I live a very cheap lifestyle. I only spend like $15 a week on myself as most of the fun stuff I do is free. Like go to the park take pictures, go to video game meetups, go to political meetups, etc.

Leperflesh posted:

Do you prefer conservative or liberal politics?

Bernie would have won.

Leperflesh posted:

Do you like surfing or skiing or both?

I like beaches and warm weather.

Leperflesh posted:

What has attracted you to CA?
The state seems so interesting. So many unique and landmark places. It also seems very diverse. The whether seems nice. And, this may sound naive, but I want to get involved in politics and the state seems to lean very close to my beliefs.

Toe Rag posted:

San Francisco is better than Los Angeles, but Los Angeles is more affordable. Who cares about anywhere else QTIYD

I was under the impression that Los Angeles is crazy expensive. Like just a notch below San Francisco/NYC.

nm posted:

Do you want to work for the government?

Absolutely.

RandomPauI posted:

How much time are you willing to spend in your car?

So the traffic hype really isn't exaggerated?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Re: traffic, it really depends on where you want to live, what you want to do, and when you want to reach your destination.

Like, if you moved to, say, Ojai (mountains, farms, hippies) you'd have to drive 30+ minutes on one lane roads to get to a movie theater, the beach, etc.

If you lived in Oxnard and worked in Northridge you could take the train instead of driving, but you'd have to operate on the trains schedule.

It's not a traffic hellscape but getting around is still a major thing.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm sort of freshly out of university and have a generic degree. My wage is above the average American. High $30k/Low$40k, but that's in Midwest salary. FWIW I live a very cheap lifestyle. I only spend like $15 a week on myself as most of the fun stuff I do is free. Like go to the park take pictures, go to video game meetups, go to political meetups, etc.

The Los Angeles DSA is apparently getting pretty active, but be aware that 30k either gets you a place out in the absolute boonies (we're talking more than an hour on the road to get anywhere), or a really expensive studio that you'll want to share with at least one roommate in the urban zone.

quote:

Bernie would have won.
See above.

quote:

I like beaches and warm weather.
The LA area has great fuckin' beaches but too many people nowadays.

quote:

The state seems so interesting. So many unique and landmark places. It also seems very diverse. The whether seems nice. And, this may sound naive, but I want to get involved in politics and the state seems to lean very close to my beliefs.
California is narrowly divided between left-leaning cities (with traditional business-right leadership and the) and Trumper Country the second you get east of the coast.

quote:

I was under the impression that Los Angeles is crazy expensive. Like just a notch below San Francisco/NYC.
It's expensive, and the only real way to get by is to have your ancestors build a house before 1940 or so. That's when grandma got hers, now me and six cousins live there.

quote:

Generations are born, grow to adulthood, and die of old age on the 110 morning commute.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

or a really expensive studio that you'll want to share with at least one roommate in the urban zone.

I'm fine with this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
For reference, the new All Inclusive apartment communities being built around the city are amazingly expensive for the areas they're coming up in.

All Inclusive is basically code for 'The neighborhood will get really gentrified in a few years, but until then you can use our pool/Dog walk/Rooftop Patio/Screening Room/Clubhouse/Gym and concierge services so you don't have to deal with the brownspoors locals.'

I've seen a 512 sq/ft studio brushing the cusp of downtown start at $2,100. But that's apparently the price you pay for being in the LA Metro area and not having to use the freeways to commute to work, or having the ability to jaunt down to Downtown, Little Tokyo, Silver Lake or the Westside without planning around traffic.

There used to be a ton of affordable, shabby 1/1 apartments built for Hollywood crew, with names like the Villa Capri, but they're getting torn down for newer construction or being 'converted' to Condos.

Young professionals that can't afford a Tesla usually try and stick it out renting for a bit, then move out to the sub/exburbs because an hour commute is a decent trade-off to being able to afford an ok place. That's usually like Montebello or The Valley.

East LA is becoming more gentrified, but sections of it are old construction built at a time when cars weren't everywhere so the residential areas are usually winding and can barely accommodate one car. You're sometimes turbofucked if you meet traffic going the opposite way.

South LA has sections that are coming up (Hawthorne) but Compton still has the 'urban' feel to it.

My suggestion: try Long Beach, San Pedro, or Carson, so that you can still feel like you're 'in LA' without having to sell blood to make the rent.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

punk rebel ecks posted:

If that is a thing you are having trouble believing, DO NOT move to (or near) LA.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

a few years back I was driving from back east (montana) to LA. Hit the 110 at around 3am on a Sunday, and found myself in a traffic jam. Knew from that knotted feeling of ill-will towards my fellow humans that I was back home.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Waze will be your friend. Until it takes you into a hilly neighborhood with few cliff guards and only room for one car going in either direction. Because the sensible way would be a few minutes slower.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

For reference, the new All Inclusive apartment communities being built around the city are amazingly expensive for the areas they're coming up in.

All Inclusive is basically code for 'The neighborhood will get really gentrified in a few years, but until then you can use our pool/Dog walk/Rooftop Patio/Screening Room/Clubhouse/Gym and concierge services so you don't have to deal with the brownspoors locals.'

I've seen a 512 sq/ft studio brushing the cusp of downtown start at $2,100. But that's apparently the price you pay for being in the LA Metro area and not having to use the freeways to commute to work, or having the ability to jaunt down to Downtown, Little Tokyo, Silver Lake or the Westside without planning around traffic.

There used to be a ton of affordable, shabby 1/1 apartments built for Hollywood crew, with names like the Villa Capri, but they're getting torn down for newer construction or being 'converted' to Condos.

Young professionals that can't afford a Tesla usually try and stick it out renting for a bit, then move out to the sub/exburbs because an hour commute is a decent trade-off to being able to afford an ok place. That's usually like Montebello or The Valley.

East LA is becoming more gentrified, but sections of it are old construction built at a time when cars weren't everywhere so the residential areas are usually winding and can barely accommodate one car. You're sometimes turbofucked if you meet traffic going the opposite way.

South LA has sections that are coming up (Hawthorne) but Compton still has the 'urban' feel to it.

My suggestion: try Long Beach, San Pedro, or Carson, so that you can still feel like you're 'in LA' without having to sell blood to make the rent.

My friend and his wife lived in one of these places in Glendale. $2k per month for a studio apartment. It was so bizarre to me - it was basically a dorm for adults. Your apartment is this tiny space just enough to sleep in, and you share common areas like grills, outdoor tables, game rooms, lounges, etc.

Then he moved two miles away to Los Feliz because "there's nothing to do in Glendale."

Here I am in the comparatively inexpensive Orange County thinking "it's two mile drive just to go anywhere."

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So basically L.A. by and large is expensive, mostly due to housing. However, there are a few areas to look at that are affordable or at least reasonable. Are there any other So Cal cities to look at?

Is there anything to say about North California or Central California?

FRINGE posted:

If that is a thing you are having trouble believing, DO NOT move to (or near) LA.

I know for a fact that this question is going to get mocked but why don't they just like...build another highway?

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

So basically L.A. by and large is expensive, mostly due to housing. However, there are a few areas to look at that are affordable or at least reasonable. Are there any other So Cal cities to look at?

I know for a fact that this question is going to get mocked but why don't they just like...build another highway?

They're running out of places to build them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Riverside area is more affordable, Redlands is a cool town. Mountains are 30 minutes away, beach about an hour. You're driving everywhere though and it's hot in the summer.

Do you have a job lined up or even know what type of work you want to do?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Riverside area is more affordable, Redlands is a cool town. Mountains are 30 minutes away, beach about an hour. You're driving everywhere though and it's hot in the summer.

While I'm fine with driving, I'm not sure of the idea of having to commute 30 minutes to everywhere.

FCKGW posted:

Do you have a job lined up or even know what type of work you want to do?

I always get my jobs through temp agencies. Due to me securing two jobs after my contract, they don't stop bugging me for employment. I'll likely find employment within a month of moving.

YamataNoOrochi posted:

They're running out of places to build them.

Can't they just build a highway on top of an existing highway or make a tunnel? Or earthquakes make people too fearful?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Can't they just build a highway on top of an existing highway or make a tunnel? Or earthquakes make people too fearful?
Hoo boy, you have a lot to learn about traffic engineering and California politics. Try running that by the traffic engineering thread if you want a serious response: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177805&pagenumber=377&perpage=40

Short answer: expensive, NIMBYs, lack of political will, and it wouldn't do much to relieve congestion.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 24, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

punk rebel ecks posted:

While I'm fine with driving, I'm not sure of the idea of having to commute 30 minutes to everywhere.
Ok. Can you find things to do within a 15 minute drive of where you live? Probably. Will you eventually need to get out of your bubble for something (beach trip, sightseeing, shows, parks, etc). Yes. At which point a 30 minute drive is really nothing at all in the city.

punk rebel ecks posted:

San Diego wasn't bad last I knew. It's kind of a sprawl, but traffic isn't as bad as L.A. for the most part.
It's a lot more conservative than LA due to the major armed forces bases there, so keep that in mind.

quote:

Central is all things like Hemet and Bakersfield. Places where people from the other ends of the state consider fly-over country. You'll also see a lot of OBAMA/PELOSI WATER CRISIS conservatives.

NorCal is a bit more varied. You have the Weedzone up around Humboldt, places that are amazingly beautiful (Monterey Bay), state Gov in Sacramento, and the San Fran gridlock zone stretching from San Jose to wine country. Once you get to Crescent City, you're basically in the Pacific NW/Oregon in terms of attitudes.

quote:

They expand highways now and again. Most recently the 405 added a few lanes. But demand is so high that it hits capacity just as fast, so you're moving more cars but not really affecting the traffic.

If you mean actually building new freeway connectors, there's a shitload of red tape (environmental impact to the residents along the new line, Cal Air impact) and issues where you're essentially going to bulldoze whole communities to allow construction to go forward. Pretty much any new freeway route of use would have to go through a community, because the issue with LA traffic is that there are about half a dozen arteries that get you from one side of the city to the other, and everyone goes through them. You also have to deal with regional geography (like the foothills/Hollywood hills).

If you look at a map and, say, want to relieve the 101/i5/405 traffic, then you better be happy tearing through Panorama City, Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks, the West Hollywood Hills (good luck having them sign off on something that wrecks their views of Mulholland), the Melrose/Sunset districts and most of Midtown. That would probably be the most expensive 15 miles in the nation.

Actually if you look up at the map posted above, you'll see an example of a stalled expansion. The 710 kind of breaks off suddenly in South Pasadena? It's supposed to connect to the 210. People have been wanting that poo poo finished, but the politics (and housing buy outs) around it are stalling everything.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 24, 2017

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
You'll need a job or 6+ months rent in cash available (so like $20k :lol:) to move somewhere without one.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Redlands is a cool town.

No it's not stop moving here gently caress

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

punk rebel ecks posted:

why don't they just like...build another highway?
Induced demand

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The only new highways getting built are privately operated toll roads, so you can avoid traffic if you're wealthy, and only the wealthy benefit from it.

San Diego is nice, less crowded, and less expensive. However, there are more jobs available in LA/Orange County areas, which are more crowded and more expensive.

$40k midwest, like Chicago or like Missouri? That could mean you make $50-$60k in LA, depending where you're coming from. There are plenty of cost of living calculators online to compare two cities.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yep. People think it works like "there's tons of people needing to get somewhere, so build a highway to help them get there" but that's not how it works. In reality it's "build a highway and tons of people will immediately build houses and businesses all around it because it's the only place in 100 miles where you can drive above 30mph for three miles straight" and the brand new highway is at 200% of capacity in five years.

Building highways encourages sprawl which adds more traffic which makes all the existing highways worse as well. If you want to help with traffic you need to increase density near employment centers, improve public transit options, and use whatever tools are available (usually zoning) to restrict expansion of suburbs.

Anyway, NorCal:

Sacramento fits many of your criteria. You won't get to hang around on a beach without a 2 hour drive. Some areas of sacramento are fairly liberal, but once you get out into the suburbs (say, roseville) you're rubbing up into the meth-n-truck-nuts rural Californian. There are a lot of government jobs. The cost of living is still way higher than what you're used to, but significantly lower than LA or SF areas. It is hot. I mean loving hot, central valley is hot. You will have many 100+ degree days during the summer and a weeks of 90+ degree weather. It's not too humid but it's not comfortable. Do not rent anything lacking A/C.

Santa Cruz fits some of your criteria. It's not as expensive as LA or SF, but still not cheap. The beaches in NorCal are cold - the water is cold, and it's often foggy. Surfing is still awesome but you'll be in a full wetsuit. There are sunny hot days in the summer still, but it's not the "california beach" image that most people have, which are exclusively SoCal beaches.

Monterey is a bit less youthful, farther from the bay area, lower cost of living, not as liberal, but similar in terms of coldwater beaches, foggy days but many sunny summer days, generally liberal politics, etc.

You might investigate like Santa Rosa area - that's north of what anyone really considers the Bay Area, but still close enough to SF to make a day trip into the City. It's warmer, has reasonable beach access, and is still fairly liberal, although overly friendly to the wealthy. Substantially less expensive than the cities that are definitely Bay Area.

Closer to the bay area you might consider Vallejo or Vacaville. Still kind of too far to commute (although there's a ferry), not as economically prosperous, plenty of hot sunny weather from april to november, not the best place for employment but there's still options.

Depending on where you can find a job, there are areas of the SF Bay Area that are mostly people accepting horribly long commutes, but there are still some employment options. For example, Martinez is the county seat of Contra Costa County. It has a big refinery, a bunch of government buildings including a superior court, a small downtown area full of antique shops, and rents that are comparatively affordable because there's no reasonable access to BART. You can commute via highway 4 to the Berkeley area, but it'll suck. If you were to get a job in Martinez, you'd be able to head to Berkeley, Oakland, and SF on weekends when you have free time, but otherwise avoid horrible commutes. There's a lot of small cities like that around the bay area.

Don't be so sure about your employment options. You better have cash reserves. California does not have high unemployment in general right now, but people who aren't making 80k a year are under severe pressure in all of the major cities due to ridiculously high costs of living. Most of them are forced into long commutes. If you don't want a long commute, you may find it quite a challenge to afford to live on the income you'll get from a temp work kind of job. That said, if you're OK with a roommate situation, you can manage.

The standard in California rental markets is up-front payment of first month, last month, and security deposit. You need to be ready to hand over a check for that amount on the spot when you're hunting for a place to live, because nothing remotely affordable stays on the market for more than a day. Landlords can and do expect that the first day they show a place is the day they'll have 50 applicants to pick from. You're far better off if you have a network of contacts where you know someone who knows someone who has a room so you can get in with them before they put it up on the market.

If you don't have that, the best way to approach things is to have a lot of time - like, weeks in which to apply to dozens of places to try and get lucky. It's also best to not be trying to find a roommate-situation place at the same time as the college students, so try not to be seeking places just before the fall term starts. (Basically everywhere in CA worth living in has colleges, so this is pretty universal, although moreso the closer you are to a large campus.)

Anyway that's all stuff about norcal, I've never lived down in the southern half of the state.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 24, 2017

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Incredible post! Thank you!
What would you say makes Sacramento "unique"? How's crime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I like that Sacramento has a lot of great relatively reasonably priced restaurants and huge trees.
If you can swing a place in East sac, midtown, or Curtis park you can get by with a bike instead of car. And DWI tickets on a bike are uncommon.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 24, 2017

• Locked thread