Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I love(d?) Bomberman 64 to death, but throwing it (and the later Bomberman Hero stuff) under the "Bomberman" label seems weird given the only thing it really has in common with the usual Bomberman stuff is "dude in a white and pink ski mask who uses bombs".

Of course the end result is seeing that the Switch Bomberman is 100% what I'd consider "multiplayer" Bomberman even in single player mode just makes me less inclined to buy it so whoops.
Bomberman single player has never been anything but average at best. I admit I played a lot of 64's single, but that was mostly to unlock poo poo.

When I played Bomberman R's single-player, the pittance of currency to unlock poo poo turned me off it super quick. Maybe Easy mode is just real poo poo for coins, but I didn't want to bang my head against that poo poo on hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

TerraGoetia posted:

They're selling plastic wheels for MK8 that house individual joycons, so yes, you can use each joycon for another player.

i love the lovely plastic wheels i've seen on amazon. so loving pointless and it looks like if anything it'd make a single joycon even more awkward to hold. it'll be even better if there isn't even tilt steering for single joycons.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

i love the lovely plastic wheels i've seen on amazon. so loving pointless and it looks like if anything it'd make a single joycon even more awkward to hold. it'll be even better if there isn't even tilt steering for single joycons.
I think the Nintendo ones have decent shoulder buttons so they'd probably be better than just a joycon if you're doing motion steering.

Which...you shouldn't.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

I think the Nintendo ones have decent shoulder buttons so they'd probably be better than just a joycon if you're doing motion steering.

https://youtu.be/yms08RGtqCI

Pants Donkey posted:

Which...you shouldn't.

I'm using tilt controls.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Video wasn't just a short clip of someone slam dunking the wheel into a garbage can, disliked.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pants Donkey posted:

Bomberman single player has never been anything but average at best. I admit I played a lot of 64's single, but that was mostly to unlock poo poo.

Bomberman 64's single player mode was pretty good, but the reason it's the best Bomberman game ever is because it's multiplayer system is exactly what you would want and expect a 3D Bomberman multiplayer to be.

This makes the decision to make a single-player only game (Bomberman Hero) even more confusing, and the final N64 Bomberman game had what appears to be a slightly lesser version of B64's multiplayer, which I cannot confirm for myself because they made about 12 copies of that game total, so no one in the history of the world has ever played it.

Actually Bomberman Generations is pretty cool, so apparently since the 3D days Konami has only been capable of making one good Bomberman game per console and then loving it up with each subsequent version.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

the final N64 Bomberman game had what appears to be a slightly lesser version of B64's multiplayer, which I cannot confirm for myself because they made about 12 copies of that game total, so no one in the history of the world has ever played it.

I have a copy and it's just leagues and bounds above BM64 in every way. I'm legit sad that it never caught on like the first cause it's one of the best games I've ever played, no joke.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

My companion got me one of these for my birthday which surprised me immensely. It still hasn't arrived so there's that but I figure I can buy a couple of accessories like the pro-controller in the meantime.

I figure I'll get a MicroSD card since I prefer owning games digitally over physically (at least in regards to my 3DS), less storage and all that and then there's the convenience of not having to switch cartridges. Any recommendations on what card/size to get? I couldn't see anything on the OP.

Am I in the wrong here, should I buy the games physically for whatever reason?

Also I imagine Snipperclips is found on the online store? I haven't seen it in shops as of yet. Not that I've looked much.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

At least 64GB but 128GB / 256GB may last longer. The samsung EVO models are meant to be pretty high quality for a reasonable price. Generally there's no huge difference so just don't buy the cheapest one and you should be OK.

Physical can be cheaper by a reasonable amount. Arguments about this in previous pages were super unfun but basically it's done to avoid undercutting retailers.

Snipperclips is digital only in the US. Europe has a bundle with joy-cons and a snipperclips code.

Snipperclips is GOTY.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You should buy whatever format suits your needs best.

I think, for me personally, that digital is the way to go for multiplayer games I always want available on the system (IE Mario Kart 8, Splat2n, etc) so you can fire them up in less than 10 seconds flat without worrying about shuffling carts about when I'm chillin on the couch.
Physical is A-OK for single player games, and the maybe-not-so-fantastic games I'll eventually pick up via sale.

Speaking of..

:siren: ATTN: Aussie + UK Goons. Click here for deep discounts on physical Mario Kart 8 Deluxe :siren:

Target has current best price at $62AUD (Saving you about $18 over digital)
EBGames will price-match, but you need to save that image to your phone to show them.

UK goons might be interested in this base.com listing which has MK8 at £44.99
(Not sure if that is a good price or not, but I'm assuming it is. Be aware that D1 stock is sold out as well)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Here's the lowest I've seen it for UK:

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/toys/nintendo-switch-mario-kart-8-deluxe/TRUP2480500001

that being said, digital forever, hail satan

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

well why not posted:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I like physical games if only that it ensures they are playable years down the road unlike digital which eventually goes away when service is brought down. Which is why I'll never sell my WiiU because I hate the idea of not being able to play Wonderful 101 ever again without rebuying.

Then I remember my most played games so far have been digital anyways and it's rare for me to go back to a game once I've beaten it.

Sorta related but what happens to your saves if you delete and redownload a game on Switch? I don't currently have a SD card but would probably like to start downloading games to one instead of filling the limited system memory. What I'd like to do is buy and play mario karts digitally but eventually move the game to a SD card to save premium flash drive space.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

You can get Mario Kart for £40 from amazon uk if you have Prime

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

a.lo posted:

I will digitally buy the Mario Kart

well why not posted:

:yeah:

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Dugong posted:

You can get Mario Kart for £40 from amazon uk if you have Prime

Was about to say that. :)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

100YrsofAttitude posted:

My companion got me one of these for my birthday which surprised me immensely. It still hasn't arrived so there's that but I figure I can buy a couple of accessories like the pro-controller in the meantime.

I figure I'll get a MicroSD card since I prefer owning games digitally over physically (at least in regards to my 3DS), less storage and all that and then there's the convenience of not having to switch cartridges. Any recommendations on what card/size to get? I couldn't see anything on the OP.

Also I imagine Snipperclips is found on the online store? I haven't seen it in shops as of yet. Not that I've looked much.

Well buying physical triggers some dumbass into having a hilarious meltdown but aside from that it's personal preference :buddy:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

From the department of "why I'm dumb" - I'm up to the Boss Rush in Shovel Knight and have just started googling stuff about the game and apparently there's tools to recover health / magic.

I think I'm just gonna muscle through and be proud of beating it without using the chalices or whatever.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Japanese eShop is listing Minecraft Switch Edition for 3888yen
$47AUD
$35USD
£27UK

Decent chunk of change

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Pretty sure you get some food between the bosses so it's not as hard as it first appears.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm really bad at Shovel Knight and the chalices are extremely good for me, I don't think I would have stuck with it and become gud mediocre without them.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think 64GB cards are still the best GB/$ option, but you'll probably want a 128GB card. Go with a name (Samsung, Kingston, Lexar) brand and don't buy cheap ebay stuff, there're loads of fakes for sale. Last I checked, the 200/256GB cards were still a bit too expensive to compete really, especially considering most Switch games are comparatively small as of yet

There are reasons to buy physical games:
  • They're often cheaper due to retailers selling for below MSRP
  • Nintendo console games retain their value for a long, long time so you can probably sell them on for actual dollars after a couple of years
  • Cartridges are cool, though they all come in Nintendo bitter flavor

Whether any of that matters to you, you'll know best

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

jyrque posted:

I like physical games if only that it ensures they are playable years down the road unlike digital which eventually goes away when service is brought down. Which is why I'll never sell my WiiU because I hate the idea of not being able to play Wonderful 101 ever again without rebuying.

Then I remember my most played games so far have been digital anyways and it's rare for me to go back to a game once I've beaten it.

Sorta related but what happens to your saves if you delete and redownload a game on Switch? I don't currently have a SD card but would probably like to start downloading games to one instead of filling the limited system memory. What I'd like to do is buy and play mario karts digitally but eventually move the game to a SD card to save premium flash drive space.

IIRC all saves are saved on your Switch memory and isn't deleted if you archive your games. If your Switch is broken though you're hosed because there's still no cloud saves and you can't transfer saves to your SD card

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

IIRC all saves are saved on your Switch memory and isn't deleted if you archive your games. If your Switch is broken though you're hosed because there's still no cloud saves and you can't transfer saves to your SD card

If this is the case, great!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cool thanks for the advice. I'll go check the microSD cards sometime tomorrow most likely. They are MicroSD right? Right. I'll what form I end up going. If physical is cheaper I'll probably go that, though that multiplayer/digital vs solo/cartridge argument scratches my librarian itch just so.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Puyo Puyo goin liiiiive at midnight (EST)

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Yesterday was a bum day of work of just waiting around for nothing so ended up playing the Puyo puyo demo and Snipperclips demo with a coworker them let them try Botw on a guest profile. System lasted like 5 hours and had a great time, the switch "gimmick" sold it hard to this guy since he travels a lot.

Switch owns, also swap mode is fun once you figure out fair handicaps.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

enojy posted:

Puyo Puyo goin liiiiive at midnight (EST)

It still boggles my mind how PPT is 50% more expensive on the Aussie eShop, and that they think they can get away with it. Single biggest cross-region markup yet.

The physical release got bumped here back to the 12/5 as well for some reason.

Any Aussies interested in PPT should straight up buy it from the US eShop. It's an absolute fuckin rort.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If the game supports an "individual" joycon as a controller then yeah. Not all of them do (BotW is the only one I have that explicitly doesn't, I think), and there doesn't appear to be anything obvious to indicate which games support which controller setups, just "docked/handheld/tabletop". I can't imagine MK8 of all games wouldn't allow for easy 2 player mode, though.

Just to be clear (because I'm not sure if it was clear based on your reply...) I'm asking about the ability to consider LJoy, RJoy and the Pro controller 3 separate players in a game. All at the same time...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LethalGeek posted:

My dream of a portable MMO that's what

Play ffxiv on ps4 remote from vita.

Or just wait for dq10 port to switch

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I ordered a switch the other day, and it probably won't come in for a couple weeks. Are there any accessories I should get besides a micro SD card and a screen protector?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Probably a carrying case

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Feenix posted:

Just to be clear (because I'm not sure if it was clear based on your reply...) I'm asking about the ability to consider LJoy, RJoy and the Pro controller 3 separate players in a game. All at the same time...

I'd be very surprised If that didn't work. It's what I'm hoping for, for 3 player Mario Kart.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It's going to be a long work week before MK8 comes out.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Play ffxiv on ps4 remote from vita.

Or just wait for dq10 port to switch
That sounds like a lot of money for hardware I do not want.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Beastie posted:

:yeah:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Beastie posted:

:yeah:+:negative:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Beastie posted:

Not for me I just got my Switch on Saturday and just started Zelda

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This week is horrible, MK8 and PPT, plus DQH2 on PS4. I'll probably have to pass on DQH2 for now. I still haven't finished the first one anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
gently caress! I need the kart game.

• Locked thread