Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
reviews are coming in for Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2 and there...not good so far. It will probably still make good money though because suckers have no standards and will watch anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mr President posted:

reviews are coming in for Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2 and there...not good so far. It will probably still make good money though because suckers have no standards and will watch anything.

Oh I dunno, skimming what comes up when I search for negative reviews like

summary of theguardian.com/film/2017/apr/24/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-film-review-chris-pratt-baby-groot-vin-diesel posted:

The Marvel superhero gang are back together – including Vin Diesel’s Baby Groot alongside Chris Pratt’s Quill – and while there’s plenty of comedy, it doesn’t really go anywhere
or

summary of indiewire.com/2017/04/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-review-1201807820/ posted:

‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2’ Review: A Fun Space Opera That You’ve Seen Before
James Gunn's latest entry is a welcome return to the comic space opera vibes of the first installment, but it doesn't go the extra mile.
its hard 4 me to feel strongly one way or the other about them because i can also find reviews from those same critics like

Indiewire critic's Avengers 1 Review posted:

Once Whedon goes through the motions of assembling his colorful team, a motley gang of action figures comprised of Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Hawkeye, his swirling camera can’t get enough of them, indulging in multiple Avengers glam shots that, yes, marvel at their sensational pop beauty. It’s a monumentally successful attempt to show off, the first genuine superhero crowdpleaser.
Or

Guardian critic's Age of Ultron review posted:

Recently, there has been a shrill cultural panic at the thought of all the superhero movies due to be released in the next few years: Ant-Man, Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, The Spectacular Spider-Man, Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War Part 1, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Avengers: Infinity War Part 2, Batman vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice … the list goes on. But what’s the problem? For me, it’s no more of an issue than all the romcoms and horror the business is readying at the far end of the chute, and this exotic new strain of supers could well be stimulating the industry. And there’s certainly no problem if they’re as exuberant, funny, silly and crazily exhilarating as this new Avengers movie (Age of Ultron) from writer-director Joss Whedon, which is a pure aspartame rush.

Which maybe u agree with in which case you do you but 4 me it makes me think their opinion on these movies is not uhhh, particularly helpful

(I generally avoid reviews of movies i havent seen so I made the completely unfair decision to find negative reviews by skimming their summary. I apologize for my poor technique & shaky morality)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I just checked RT and what little is there is 100% fresh so far?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Strobe posted:

I flipped to Legion one night and this guy was messing up a hallway with his mind powers to the tune of Boléro (remix) in the format of a silent movie.

It looked very much like all kinds of My poo poo, but I still haven't watched the rest. :smith:

Well the bad news is you've seen the peak of the show, so it's all downhill from there.
The good news is, that scene is such a high loving peak.

It's clever, bizarre, and sometimes gorgeous series that's worth checking out, but overall I found it disappointing.
Like, I could not possibly care less about what happens next, and considering the dream teamup at the end, that's a pretty big sin.

The Bolero scene I can watch over and over again though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V89QyxIPxD4
:allears:

Riverdale continues being the best thing on tv.

:3:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Oh I dunno, skimming what comes up when I search for negative reviews like

or

its hard 4 me to feel strongly one way or the other about them because i can also find reviews from those same critics like

Or

Which maybe u agree with in which case you do you but 4 me it makes me think their opinion on these movies is not uhhh, particularly helpful

(I generally avoid reviews of movies i havent seen so I made the completely unfair decision to find negative reviews by skimming their summary. I apologize for my poor technique & shaky morality)

Also none of the GG2 reviews are negative. At worst they're just kind of positive.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Also none of the GG2 reviews are negative. At worst they're just kind of positive.

Yeah that's the other impression I got, they're lukewarm at worst.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

why is Legion like one of the only comic book things, movie or TV, I feel like I've watched that wasn't afraid to get like...comic booky? Is this Nolan's fault? Even the most grounded and "prestigious" superhero stories were always (to me) goofy and juvenile compared to like, works in any other mediums or even just non-superhero comic book genres...like, they're all basically for kids, even if the content gets extreme or violent. two dimensional stories in a two dimensional form. I guess Alan Moore is fine but I'm never like, comparing him to the great minds of cinema or literature. Warren Ellis is awesome but there's a reason his novels read as goofy rear end bullshit imo, cuz some writing only flies when it's in a comic book.
Legion is all wild and stylish and erratic and colorful and goofy and weird, and you don't really see that outside of like, bits of Zack Snyder and Guardians, I guess? Darkman too, but Darkman wasn't based on a comic book. Guardians is pretty...conventional compared to Legion, tbh, and it's not like that poo poo is set in space. You've got no excuse. Maybe the new Thor movie will bring some of that in.
Like who cares about people in leather punching each other and shooting laser blasts or whatever? They're all just more or less pretty conventional action movies/blockbusters. It's gotta be stylish. The Winter Soldier, all that sorta poo poo, it all needed comic book weirdness, because these are all inherently stupid loving stories anyway. Unless you're actually Christopher Nolan level, you really need to be just making wacky rear end poo poo.
I'm not sure I'm putting this into the right words, but it's just how I felt watching it.

If you think about it, action movies are kinda dumb.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeah that's the other impression I got, they're lukewarm at worst.

I just saw it and that's about right, honestly.

Suck-A-Sage
Nov 11, 2008
For those who have seen GoTG2, in one of the mid-credit scenes, who/what is Adam? Also, teen groot looks like jaden smith.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The worst reviews they have up currently are:

quote:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 plays like a second ride on a roller-coaster that was a real kick the first time around but feels very been-there/done-that now.

quote:

It's still a good Marvel movie (at times, a very good one), but it's a come down from the dizzying highs of the first installment. The laughs are still there, but they're less involuntary.

33 positive, 3 negative.

Seems like the initial reactions from last week: "Generally very good, but similar plot beats with new characters." is still the general reaction.

Honestly, if "feels too much like the first movie" is the worst criticism with a 93% positive, then I'm sure I won't regret my $7 at the May 6th morning show.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Suck-A-Sage posted:

For those who have seen GoTG2, in one of the mid-credit scenes, who/what is Adam? Also, teen groot looks like jaden smith.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Warlock

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Guardians 2 isn't really all that similar to the first one. If it feels rote, it's because it's really, really obviously trying to do 'Empire Strikes Back'.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The worst reviews they have up currently are:

33 positive, 3 negative.

Seems like the initial reactions from last week: "Generally very good, but similar plot beats with new characters." is still the general reaction.

Honestly, if "feels too much like the first movie" is the worst criticism with a 93% positive, then I'm sure I won't regret my $7 at the May 6th morning show.

It's worth your money.

To be honest, lower your expectations tho. It's not lightning in the bottle like the first one. It's different as well. Basically, it's a second tier Marvel movie - needs a rewatch to really grok it (and probably more enjoyable like Marvel movies tend to be second time around) but it's just not quite first tier like Winter Soldier or GOTG 1.

It doesnt mean you shouldnt see it. You should. Just temper expectations a bit as it just doesnt have for instance that amazing opening like GOTG does

quote:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 plays like a second ride on a roller-coaster that was a real kick the first time around but feels very been-there/done-that now.

That's a really good description of how I felt. The first one was just so out there and brilliant, the second.... yeah it's good, prbably very good but it really just feels kinda there. The first one was just too hard of a standard to live up to unfortunalty, it tried but it didnt get there.

Also, three credits sequences to stay for.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Everything people are saying sounds very Age of Ultrony from just before the backlash. I'm just wondering how the reviews would look if this were the exact same movie without a Marvel logo. Or god forbid, with a DC logo.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
How positive the negative reviews isn't remarkable, it's how banal even the most laudatory ones are.

e: In other comic movie news, the film adaptation of My Friend Dahmer debuted two days ago at a film festival but seems to have made no splash at all so far. There's no trailer or anything.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 24, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The first one was just so out there and brilliant, the second....

So if I thought the first one was rote comic book fare...

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

that amazing opening like GOTG does
It would have been amazing if I wasn't sitting in the theater completely unsure of what was happening for fact that the scene looked unbelievably incomplete.

Where is his rat microphone?
Oh, there it is.
Wait, it's gone ag-
*close up of rat microphone*

:psyboom:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
This is the movie that's gonna burst the Marvel bubble!!!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Slugworth posted:

This is the movie that's gonna burst the Marvel bubble!!!

You've just started another 10-page derail about how it actually should, but the sheeple keep it afloat.

Go to the shame corner.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The movie that will bust the Marvel bubble is Inhumans, but don't worry they'll never actually make it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

parallelodad posted:

The movie that will bust the Marvel bubble is Inhumans, but don't worry they'll never actually make it.

It's filming right now! But it's a TV show with the premiere being shown in theaters or something like that.

The movie to burst Marvel is actually going to be Howard the Duck

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How positive the negative reviews isn't remarkable, it's how banal even the most laudatory ones are.

e: In other comic movie news, the film adaptation of My Friend Dahmer debuted two days ago at a film festival but seems to have made no splash at all so far. There's no trailer or anything.

One of my favorite GN's, and I didn't know about it until Backderf mentioned it. Can't wait to give it a look.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

wyoming posted:

Riverdale continues being the best thing on tv.

:3:

Why? Other than hot people?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
GOTG Vol. 2 is at worst a really, really enjoyable summer popcorn blockbuster. It isn't quite as good as the (exceptional) first movie in the series, but there's no shame in that, and it's a fun and goofy and silly movie about fun and goofy and silly characters having fun and goofy and silly adventures together, and is probably the comic book movie that is the least ashamed about being a comic book movie.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Breetai posted:

GOTG Vol. 2 is at worst a really, really enjoyable summer popcorn blockbuster. It isn't quite as good as the (exceptional) first movie in the series, but there's no shame in that, and it's a fun and goofy and silly movie about fun and goofy and silly characters having fun and goofy and silly adventures together, and is probably the comic book movie that is the least ashamed about being a comic book movie.

If anyone wanted anything other than this from GOTG2... eh... they must face a lot of disappointment in life.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shageletic posted:

Why? Other than hot people?

It's like Twin Peaks meets Sixteen Candles meets Flowers in the Attic.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Other than a small town and a dead teen, it's really not all that much like Twin Peaks. (If anything it's far more Veronica Mars)
I'd argue the weirdness of it just comes from the general absurdity of soap operas.

It's just an entertaining teen drama with some super cute character moments, and it's got a great visual style.
Also a sick sense of humour.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Breetai posted:

the (exceptional) first movie in the series

How so? It doesn't even outdo the mediocre Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy adaptation.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You've just started another 10-page derail about how it actually should, but the sheeple keep it afloat.

Go to the shame corner.

Is the MCU really unpopular here? I get that impression but I don't follow this thread too often.

I sometimes get annoyed at how overrated they are. They overshadow films like The Crow or Sin City, which were also based on comic books and were really good but nobody really talks about them anymore because RDJ made a pithy one-liner woo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's filming right now! But it's a TV show with the premiere being shown in theaters or something like that.

The movie to burst Marvel is actually going to be Howard the Duck

They should have gone with the fantasy rumors and had Al Pacino voice Howard the Duck as a regular member of the Guardians in Guardians 2.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

cvnvcnv posted:

It would have been amazing if I wasn't sitting in the theater completely unsure of what was happening for fact that the scene looked unbelievably incomplete.

Where is his rat microphone?
Oh, there it is.
Wait, it's gone ag-
*close up of rat microphone*

:psyboom:

It's a simple montage played out of sequence, I'm not quite sure what is so confusing about that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

How so? It doesn't even outdo the mediocre Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy adaptation.

Well, it's not dreadfully boring dreck, so I'd say it does.

Unless you're looking for tedious swill, in which case, yeah, absolutely Hitchhiker's Guide wins out, hands down, no contest. Congratulations, Hitchhiker's Guide!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
GotG 2 must really be something to behold if it prompts people to justify its shortcomings by describing the first one as a masterpiece too difficult to live up to.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
All I want for GotG2 to is to remember what took place in the movie when I leave the theater.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

NikkolasKing posted:

Is the MCU really unpopular here? I get that impression but I don't follow this thread too often.

I sometimes get annoyed at how overrated they are. They overshadow films like The Crow or Sin City, which were also based on comic books and were really good but nobody really talks about them anymore because RDJ made a pithy one-liner woo.

It's not that the MCU is unpopular, it's just that it's generally recognized to be, as has been said before, unimaginative, mindless mostly-fun on a per-movie basis. There's nothing to talk about since the plots and characters are mishmashes of inadequacy and lack of depth, and the movies themselves are shot in such a way as to be the most uninteresting visual representation of each scene there could be.

Pretty much all you can say about most of the MCU (please dear god Back Panther and Thor break this pattern) is "Hey, look at all these characters right here, standing there doing...stuff, I guess!"

As always, take my post with a grain of internet hyperbolic salt. Of course, for reference my favorite MCU movies are Winter Soldier and IM 1 and to a lesser extent Dr Strange - mostly for its different take on punching -, plus the Black Panther and Spidey scenes in Civil War.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 24, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Marvel is unimaginative, mindless, fun.
Michael Bay films are imaginative, mindless, unfun.
DC films are unimaginative, mindful, unfun.

It's like the old engineering adage except you can only pick one.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I've found that all media (but this applies especially to film and music) released before or after the exact moment that my specific demographic came of age is actually the worst.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Drifter posted:

It's not that the MCU is unpopular, it's just that it's generally recognized to be, as has been said before, unimaginative, mindless mostly-fun on a per-movie basis. There's nothing to talk about since the plots and characters are mishmashes of inadequacy and lack of depth, and the movies themselves are shot in such a way as to be the most uninteresting visual representation of each scene there could be.

Pretty much all you can say about most of the MCU (please dear god Back Panther and Thor break this pattern) is "Hey, look at all these characters right here, standing there doing...stuff, I guess!"

As always, take my post with a grain of internet hyperbolic salt. Of course, for reference my favorite MCU movies are Winter Soldier and IM 1 and to a lesser extent Dr Strange - mostly for its different take on punching -, plus the Black Panther and Spidey scenes in Civil War.

Nah your post is totally correct. The MCU movies create this conflict because they're so blatantly product, but they do just enough to skate by to be very fun in the moment. I think part of why Guardians of the Galaxy is so highly regarded is that compared to its immediate predecessor is just that its immediate predecessors are Winter Soldier, Iron Man 3, and Thor: The Dark World. So I think just it being set completely off of earth (besides the quick earth flashback) and it going the most off-script compared to the very general template the previous movies went through made it stand out a lot in comparison to other MCU movies. The comedic timing, a lot of the way the movie is shot, it's not incredible but it's noticeably different from any previous MCU film. It also does a great job of not being an origin story for its characters, with everyone already being established in some way. In a vacuum that only contains other MCU movies it's fantastic.

Compare to something like Dr. Strange, which had that one trippy sequence, but the overall story was the same thing we've seen a billion times where an arrogant guy somehow masters mysterious super ancient stuff and saves the world with it in 48 hours. Was like half of that movie cut out or something? They even say it would take years of training and discipline to be able to use magic really well, and it's compared to the same training and practice he goes through regularly as a surgeon learning new techniques and doing research. Or to the Tony Stark character as people have brought up plenty of times where he seems to learn a Very Important Lesson in each movie and then forget it happened, but it's okay because he's a good guy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

Well, it's not dreadfully boring dreck, so I'd say it does.

GotG has the advantage in perfocmances and pacing, but it's humour and script are about as bad as with HGttG. The latter on the other hand has visual design and direction that makes GotG look like amateur hour (and makes its own mediocrity doubly tragic).

I'm reposting this because everytime I look at the picture of Yondu I find it just a bit funnier. Those guys in the back especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

seravid posted:

GotG 2 must really be something to behold if it prompts people to justify its shortcomings by describing the first one as a masterpiece too difficult to live up to.

Yeah, it's a real shocker that something that was really popular... had a lot of fans who thought it was really good.

I'm reposting this because I'm insufferable

• Locked thread