Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

iospace posted:

NOW ACCEPTING TITLES FOR THE NEW LOSERS, QUOTE THIS WITH IDEAS

I'm a Leaf on the wind, watch how I score (less than Washington)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

iospace posted:

NOW ACCEPTING TITLES FOR THE NEW LOSERS, QUOTE THIS WITH IDEAS

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

I'm a Leaf on the wind, watch how I score *gets Cap'd*

skeletons!
Mar 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/Trakl_Bot/status/856376696244719616

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The Leafs' season ended much as it progressed: blowing a lead in the third then losing in overtime.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So, what do the Leafs need most in the offseason? Offensive depth? I kind of don't want them to trade almost anyone they have other than to upgrade Matt Martin to almost literally anyone else

The biggest thing they need are players who can fill the Polak-Hunwick role without actively being bad. There was like a 20 game stretch this year where that actually was Polak but I wouldn't count on him doing that again. After that it's mostly minor stuff. To my mind it's:

(1) Either sign Zaitsev for replace him in the top 4.
(2) See if you can't trade Bozak and then sign someone better for less money to be the 3C.
(3) Try to upgrade on Zack Hyman for the third spot on the Matthews-Nylander line.
(4) Probably find a new 4C to replace whichever of Martin and Boyle get taken by Vegas. Maybe this is the Goat.
(5) Sign a backup goaltender.

The only one of those that I think can really improve the team is if they hit a home run with a Zaitsev replacement (unlikely) or a Bozak one (more likely). Otherwise the team should continue to get better through improvement from the rookies, and I think a top 4 of Gardiner/Rielly/Carrick/Zaitsev is enough to compete.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Don't forget that Nylander is also a centre. We don't really need another so much as need competent wingers to go with him. If we drop Bozak we have Matthews, Nylander, Kadri, and Boyle.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Brian Boyle is a ufa.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Philly signed Connor Bunnaman to an ELC and he's headed back to the Kitchener Rangers this upcoming year.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Hand Knit posted:

The Leafs' season ended much as it progressed: blowing a lead in the third then losing in overtime.

The biggest thing they need are players who can fill the Polak-Hunwick role without actively being bad. There was like a 20 game stretch this year where that actually was Polak but I wouldn't count on him doing that again. After that it's mostly minor stuff. To my mind it's:

(1) Either sign Zaitsev for replace him in the top 4.
(2) See if you can't trade Bozak and then sign someone better for less money to be the 3C.
(3) Try to upgrade on Zack Hyman for the third spot on the Matthews-Nylander line.
(4) Probably find a new 4C to replace whichever of Martin and Boyle get taken by Vegas. Maybe this is the Goat.
(5) Sign a backup goaltender.

The only one of those that I think can really improve the team is if they hit a home run with a Zaitsev replacement (unlikely) or a Bozak one (more likely). Otherwise the team should continue to get better through improvement from the rookies, and I think a top 4 of Gardiner/Rielly/Carrick/Zaitsev is enough to compete.

What are the odds they just keep McElhinney? He's UFA but was a very solid backup and I could see a guy like that wanting to hang around a team like Toronto.

I'm not sure I see Carrick as a top 4 D. At least in the games I watched he kept getting beat to the outside and he's small for a d-man. Given how they did I'd love to see the leafs actually pay up a bit for an elite d, but I wouldn't like it so much if they had to trade any of their more valuable forwards. They have $15m of cap room and several more years before the kids will start eating into that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Brian Boyle is a ufa.

I think it's pretty likely that he'll get re-signed but hopefully not for more than 2 years. Also, I can see the Leafs protecting Matt Martin because they can easily do 7F 3D exposing Marchenko and Marincin, but after the obvious forward picks (JVR, Bozak, Kadri's line) there are only two spots left so at least one of Leivo, Leipsic and Rychel have to be exposed. Leivo is worth protecting but neither of Leipsic or Rychel got a serious look and they're basically interchangable whereas Martin is the Best 4th Line Winger in Hockey. I hope I'm wrong.

Anyway given Babcock's​ lack of confidence in Carrick, another top four RD is definitely needed even if Zaitsev re-signs. I hope they can fleece an idiot GM by trading Bozak and spare parts but I wouldn't bet money on it. Maybe Barrie will get run out of town.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Why in the gently caress would they protect Matt martin

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Mark Lazerus is reporting that the Blackhawks have fired assistant coach Mike Kitchen, who was in charge of the defense and penalty kill this season, I believe.

I'm actually rather stunned by this - Kitchen is a close personal friend of Q and that was pretty much the only reason he was on the staff. I figured he was untouchable.

Ummagumma fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 24, 2017

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Kalenn Istarion posted:

good Team man; john tavares' friend

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Kalenn Istarion posted:

because HHIIITTTZZZZZZZ

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ummagumma posted:

Mark Lazerus is reporting that the Blackhawks have fired assistant coach Mike Kitchen, who was in charge of the defense and penalty kill this season, I believe.

I'm actually rather stunned by this - Kitchen is a close personal friend of Q and that was pretty much the only reason he was on the staff. I figured he was untouchable.

I guess producing mediocre defensive numbers when you got names like Seabrook, Keith, and Hjallmarsson on the roster might be enough to veto the friend card.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/KKurzNBCS/status/856573853446717444

:stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

How :psyduck:

I know that doesn't make range of motion impossible or anything, but holy poo poo

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'm guessing only partial tears, but still, god drat.

Also drugs, lots and lots of drugs.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

DJExile posted:

I know that doesn't make range of motion impossible or anything, but holy poo poo
I'm presuming it's not a complete tear of either, because I think that would make skating more or less impossible.

It's still hardcore as hell.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Thornton's not human, it's as simple as that.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1287733-sharks-thornton-played-through-torn-mcl-acl-against-oilers

quote:

"I've never seen a guy play with a torn MCL and ACL," DeBoer said. "It's a courageous effort as I've ever seen."

Thornton missed the first two games of the series after suffering the injury April 2, and managed to record two assists while seeing almost 19 minutes of ice time.

Thornton himself said he's scheduled to see doctors Monday and expects to need surgery.

:eyepop:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

What are the odds they just keep McElhinney? He's UFA but was a very solid backup and I could see a guy like that wanting to hang around a team like Toronto.

I'm not sure I see Carrick as a top 4 D. At least in the games I watched he kept getting beat to the outside and he's small for a d-man. Given how they did I'd love to see the leafs actually pay up a bit for an elite d, but I wouldn't like it so much if they had to trade any of their more valuable forwards. They have $15m of cap room and several more years before the kids will start eating into that.

The Leafs actually only have like 12m in cap space with all the rookie bonuses that they'll have to pay out next year. Which doesn't really seem like enough to sign 6 players if they are planning on making any sort of FA splash.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

The Leafs actually only have like 12m in cap space with all the rookie bonuses that they'll have to pay out next year. Which doesn't really seem like enough to sign 6 players if they are planning on making any sort of FA splash.

Horton and Lupul LTIR

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

DJExile posted:

Jesus Christ, reminds of the time Bryan Smolinski was playing on a right knee that literally had a metal hinged brace in the playoffs that allowed no lateral movement.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Horton and Lupul LTIR

Don't they have to include those in the cap total before the year begins though?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/zakkthebear/status/856573903535169536

knees arent supposed to float, joe

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was very courageous of Joe Thornton to damage his team's chances significantly.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

So was Zaitsev still concussed when he returned against the Capitals? He was terrible in the series and now there are reports he isn't going to the World Championships because he isn't medically cleared or some poo poo.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

DJExile posted:

I hate to repeat the same move, but: Because it's the Cup.

Aphrodite posted:

It was very courageous of Joe Thornton to damage his team's chances significantly.

Depends on if a catastrophically injured top-3 player is worse than a 100% whatever-you've-got-left-on-the-farm.

Players should have better health rights, but 1) lol if you think they're getting more rights ever again in the misanthropic Hellscape of Anglo-America and 2) lol if you think any other players are going to take downtime for their health 3) because it's the Cup.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Horton and Lupul LTIR

I think Lupul is done forever isn't he?

DJExile posted:

Don't they have to include those in the cap total before the year begins though?

The way I understand they work is they include in cap usage but the actual cap gets increased.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

DJExile posted:

Wait I was wrong..

The overage is 10%.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 24, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

You can still do full movement and have strength with zero ACL, it's just unstable and requires a knee brace. I'm not sure if the same is true of the MCL and the combination of both seems super-human to me. Add on top of that all the pain he had to be in and it's just shocking that he could compete. Even pain drugs only do so much and they have a lot of side effects that deteriorate performance.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Horton and Lupul LTIR

The roughly ~12m in capspace has LTIR factored in.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

So was Zaitsev still concussed when he returned against the Capitals? He was terrible in the series and now there are reports he isn't going to the World Championships because he isn't medically cleared or some poo poo.

Considering the way he played the first couple games back, yeah probably. Real dumb.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I think Lupul is done forever isn't he?

He can't retire and get his money, so he's just gonna have to stick around and be on LTIR forever. It's not technically impossible for him to return either, Horton is much more done afaik

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So he spends the final year of his contract on LTIR and walks with a limp for the next 40 so he could skate around like an old man through a first round knock-out?

What was his end game here? if they used jumbo power to get past the oilers, would the ducks just lay of him because he's an injured old man? the blues? the penguins?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Powershift posted:

So he spends the final year of his contract on LTIR and walks with a limp for the next 40 so he could skate around like an old man through a first round knock-out?

What was his end game here?

You may not have noticed, but Joe Thornton isn't an especially bright human being.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It's not courageous it's really stupid. And as fans we should actually get on players cases for poo poo like that or it becomes normalized and it becomes like the NFL where people start making GBS threads on players because they didn't play through a broken foot.

But overcoming injury is such a honeypot story for Westerners, and especially Americans that it's not going to make a difference.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Seems courageous to me

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
he just wanted the authentic hobo limp

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Mike Stone looked like he was still pretty decent in Calgary, so if you need somebody to get the type of minutes you give to your #4-#6, you could probably do a lot worse. The difference between Calgary playing him and playing Wideman was night and day, and I'd actually like them to keep him. I suspect not being in Phoenix, arguably bottom 3 in terms of "Teams that are easy to play for and keep a cool head while staying productive" didn't help his recovery process. I bet if you took DuClair and Domi and put them on like, Ottawa, they'd start reminding people how talented they are.

Boy, it is really weird to consider a hockey player named Domi talented.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
https://i.imgur.com/Ji9OH1a.gifv

• Locked thread