Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
F1 Strategy Group to look at breaking some rules to help Honda hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

F1 Strategy Group to look at breaking some rules to help Honda hahahaha

Wouldn't be surprised, none of the other manufacturers want to support the entire series with just three engines.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Remember how I said Strudle wasn't doing too hot in Super Formula and now he's poo poo?

Ah yes he sure got his poo poo kicked in on his debut season in the formula.
Also everyone classified around him was driving Toyota engines, the next best guy driving a Honda was 8th. His teammate was 9th. He did fine.

And I guess if strudel is poo poo, Alonso is terrible? He's below him in the standings after all! :jerkbag:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Can we take a moment to appreciate the majesty of a frog named Bertrand Baguette?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That's the part I'm having trouble with, a man named Bertrand Baguette who's NOT from France.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Belgium is basically cronenberg France.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Aren't all the ISIS attackers coming in through Belgium? I'd be very suspicious of that name.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Aren't all the ISIS attackers coming in through Belgium? I'd be very suspicious of that name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO0090uPftg&t=61s

He's also tried to drive into a crowd of people. You may be on to something.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

Belgium is basically cronenberg France.

Nice.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

Can we take a moment to appreciate the majesty of a frog named Bertrand Baguette?

That would literally be one of the best SA forum names

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What can they do to help Honda?

Hey dumbasses test all your parts on the engine before putting in the car?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

What can they do to help Honda?

Hey dumbasses test all your parts on the engine before putting in the car?

A few ideas:

Less penalties for replacing broken stuff.
Allow additional testing time.
NOS stickers to add speed.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The FIA is going to allow VTEC

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

Less penalties for replacing broken stuff.

This is what was suggested in the Autosport article.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But here's the real question.

What would Bernie do?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The engine reliability thing should be scrapped. It's just Mercedes posturing because it discourages the opposition from trying new concepts.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

The engine reliability thing should be scrapped. It's just Mercedes posturing because it discourages the opposition from trying new concepts.

I'm trying to think of a circumstance where a cost control provision actually reduced the total amount of money the teams spent. It always seems like they just spend the money elsewhere.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

daslog posted:

I'm trying to think of a circumstance where a cost control provision actually reduced the total amount of money the teams spent. It always seems like they just spend the money elsewhere.

Probably because the FIA do retarded poo poo like cite cost concerns and then change the engine formula to something overly complex and thus more expensive to develop and manufacture.

Whilst the fuckos in Paris fiddle, the privateer teams - of which F1 has a proud history - burn.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It's interesting that the engine reliability thing is almost never a thing in MotoGP. They have similar restrictions on how many engines per season etc but they just never blow up. And those dudes do burnouts and poo poo all the time when they win.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sauber is going Honda in 2018

Good job being a test team Mclaren.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Sauber 2018 WCC

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It's interesting that the engine reliability thing is almost never a thing in MotoGP. They have similar restrictions on how many engines per season etc but they just never blow up. And those dudes do burnouts and poo poo all the time when they win.

To be fair those engines are only 0.6L smaller and put out like the quarter of the power of F1 engines, I don't think they're under as much strain.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

Sauber is going Honda in 2018

Good job being a test team Mclaren.

Welcome to F1, Nyck de Vries.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
LOL HONDA and all that but moving to current spec engines instead of year old Ferrari ones is a good gamble for Sauber. Staying as is means they are going to be fighting to get a single point or whatever basically forever.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Anyone happen to watch the interview of Are Bernard on Top Gear the other day? He described what his title with Liberty means as follows:

Overlord Bernie posted:

It's a bit like like giving a hit-man a gun, and no bullets. But, I've got enough money to buy the bullets.

Vintage Bernie :allears:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

LOL HONDA and all that but moving to current spec engines instead of year old Ferrari ones is a good gamble for Sauber. Staying as is means they are going to be fighting to get a single point or whatever basically forever.

They have 0 bucks so it's expected. They came at a significant discount to be sure.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The best thing in the Motorsport article about Sauber's Honda switch is how apparently they are fed up with Ferraris unreliability and performance.

......Ahahahaha

I'm sure Alonso would love to have a 2016 spec Ferrari engine in that McLaren right now.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Welcome to F1, Nyck de Vries.

Matsushita might be in one of the Sauber seats come next year.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Matsushita might be in one of the Sauber seats come next year.

God I hope so, the dude got penalized for reckless driving in GP2.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I love F2. It's like the lobby of an online F1 game, but in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz22P3aXWiY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVYP99ezjSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccfjciiPOGY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9kdw9vU_4U

And my personal favourite, simply because it sums up junior formulae so loving perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap0_87aRuXs

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

wicka posted:

God I hope so, the dude got penalized for reckless driving in GP2.

Jesus christ, with f2 standards for driving did he recreate the 1955 le mans race or something.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

It's actually good this season.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It's like watching 7 year olds running across a street, they have no spatial awareness at all

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Wirth1000 posted:

aahahahahaha Paul Tracy is trying to give Alonso driving advice lmao

Man, what's with Paul "Smallface" Tracy in that pic? I haven't seen him in a while, but it sure looks like he's packed on a few. That, the blank stare, and the pink complexion make him look like Rob Ford tuning out allegations of crack smoking.

NtotheTC posted:

Watching the press conference Alonso didn't look at all excited or happy to be there. I think it's hit home that running the 500 involves being in the US for extended periods of time.

He's probably understandably underwhelmed after being dropped off in some backwoods rural American nothing-town. I can only imagine his accommodations.

Goddamn, it's been a bad couple weeks for young racers.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nascar stages is one of the dumbest things i have watched. Wgat the gently caress is that

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

Nascar stages is one of the dumbest things i have watched. Wgat the gently caress is that

Remember all of Bernie's dumbass ideas? You know, turning the track sprinklers on and poo poo?

Now imagine that no one is telling him no, and you have NASCAR.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Remember all of Bernie's dumbass ideas? You know, turning the track sprinklers on and poo poo?

Now imagine that no one is telling him no, and you have NASCAR.

Needs more pp button.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, much of NASCAR going backwards can be attributed to Indy's split. They capitalized on it to become the king of US racing, and once it became apparent that people wouldn't stick around, they started changing things to try to sustain it, like abandoning historic tracks for cookie cutter 1.5 tri-ovals in urban environments and poo poo.

Basically they tried to chase the short term instead of focusing on the long term, and now it's really biting them.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Honestly, much of NASCAR going backwards can be attributed to Indy's split. They capitalized on it to become the king of US racing, and once it became apparent that people wouldn't stick around, they started changing things to try to sustain it, like abandoning historic tracks for cookie cutter 1.5 tri-ovals in urban environments and poo poo.

Basically they tried to chase the short term instead of focusing on the long term, and now it's really biting them.

What, indy split again?

Bring back cart, that series was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

What, indy split again?

Bring back cart, that series was awesome.

Nah, the split in the 90s. NASCAR saw a chance and successfully exploited it. Then it got high on its own success and made boneheaded after boneheaded decision, leading to the poo poo we have now.

• Locked thread